• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"No new DMU orders in CP5"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Because we have a different guage which means compliant diesel don't fit in our stock but can fit in the European guage. Thats the basic different and why Europe continues to order DMU's while we can't.

I really am sure a UK spec compliant DMU can be built, and that a compliant engine can be put in an existing UK spec DMU. You're talking moving some ancillaries. The problem is cost over a comparatively small fleet, not that it can't be done.

Manchester77

Established Member
Once our current fleet of DMUs is exhausted then I'd imagine some kind of review would take place as to which lines are candidates for wiring and which will remain DMU operated. Then a fleet of DMUs can be ordered for the routes which need them thus meaning that the costs are lower since you'd be ordering a high number of DMUs for the UK.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Once our current fleet of DMUs is exhausted then I'd imagine some kind of review would take place as to which lines are candidates for wiring and which will remain DMU operated. Then a fleet of DMUs can be ordered for the routes which need them thus meaning that the costs are lower since you'd be ordering a high number of DMUs for the UK.

There is the not inconsiderable matter of the date of the "DMU exhaustion" and the time period when the new DMU fleet actually entering into service, noting the liking for leaving matters as late as possible in that respect.

AM9

Veteran Member

I would expect new developments such as hybrid energy traction systems to be more viable by the end of CP6. If off-wire running with batteries gives sufficient range then a lot of newer DMUs currently committed can be released for those routes that won't be wired.
Then there's the other type of hybrid, - electro-diesels. If compliant engines with useful power can't effectively be fitted underfloor, there is scope for hybrid DEMUs for longer off wire working or even battery DEMUs where the route would allow a small helper engine to keep batteries charged during cruise parts of journeys and the battery stored energy would give useful acceleration from stops.
Further out there could be hydrogen fuelled engines that could stay well within future permitted emission limits yet having similar flexibility to conventional diesel powered stock.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
I really am sure a UK spec compliant DMU can be built, and that a compliant engine can be put in an existing UK spec DMU. You're talking moving some ancillaries. The problem is cost over a comparatively small fleet, not that it can't be done.

Possibly, not that anyone thinks the cost is worth it in the industry as no-one wants to fund new DMUs bar the class 278 proposal.

Olaf

There is the not inconsiderable matter of the date of the "DMU exhaustion" and the time period when the new DMU fleet actually entering into service, noting the liking for leaving matters as late as possible in that respect.

The RDG has looked at the requirement for new DMUs and updated their plans, but so far there is still no significant need for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.