• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noddy's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddy1878

Established Member
11/9/18
The weather made my mind up for this trip. It was the second part of my FOSS. I had been trying to decide whether to go shack scratching in the Valleys or hunt for required IETs. The forecast had a nice band of rain across southern Wales so that was that decided. I didn’t really fancy standing in a bus shelter (if any were there) or the walk that would have been required between two shacks in the rain. They can wait until it’s sunny!

I left home and the drizzle was already falling in Plymouth despite not forecasted on the local news. #Useless. Probably meant it wasn’t raining in Wales! I got to the station slightly damp. No coat, as it was too hot for that and went to get my return to Tiverton Parkway. I also got my tickets that would start my upcoming holiday on Friday night and renewed my Devon & Cornwall railcard. Time maybe tight on Friday night and it was one less thing to worry about.

We left on time on 220001, another 4 car Voyager. XC must have changed the diagrams slightly because normally I get a 5 car unless it’s always just random. No matter, I got a seat even if it wasn’t a window one, and on too Bristol I went. 66591 was at Fairwater Yard but that was about it as far as seeing anything on the way.

Whether I bailed at Temple Meads or Parkway depended on what was on the 1130 off Temple Meads. It was a required 800/3, my first in the subclass, 800306. I took this to Swindon and ate my lunch (really early but I was hungry for some reason). We were stuck on a few yellows so never really got going but somehow still got to Swindon on time. A pair of IETs with 800008 leading winning 026 towards Wales. I decided to catch these to Newport where I could meet whatever the Cardiff - London was.

110918-Newport-800008 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

From here I met 800024 and 013. It was 18 late leaving Cardiff which was annoying. At first I was not sure why as the train was into Cardiff on time for correct time departure. Turned out it was a door interlock failure. Neither were required but I took them back to Swindon and watched the world go by. The weather wasn’t great so glad I wasn’t standing around in a bus shelter in a wet Welsh Valley! I did notice though we ran into Bristol Parkway on Platform 4. I think this is the first time for me on a through train. A XC voyager heading north then came in along side. Annoyingly it also left before us and another train behind it too.

Eventually we got to Swindon. With not much due that I either didn’t want or knew what it was already, I took the next Bristol train as a mileage move to Bath. It was the return of 800306. I would see what the next eastbound train would be and if dud I would go into Bath for a bit.

It wasn’t dud. 800031 led 015 so it was, so back to Swindon I went.

110918-Swindon-800015 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

The next train was an HST so I caught this back to Bath. I knew the next two trains from Bristol we’re going to be HSTs so had a little bit of time so went into Bath itself.

A few pubs and some awesome beers later, I was back at the station for what should be a winner. It was. 800011 leading 800035. The plan was to take this to Taunton but having spotted winning 800313 an the adjacent platform at Bristol, I bailed and got that back to Bath.

110918-Bath-800313 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I needed a change of plan now! Food was required (and oddly not in the original plan for some reason!) so a quick escape from the station found McDonalds and then it was my first experience of a Turbo in the South West. Dud 166213 to Frome was had.

110918-Frome-166213 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I returned on it to Westbury where I waited for my train to Plymouth.

110918-Westbury-166213 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

The expected 802 didn’t arrive. Instead it was 43053 and 43020, both of which were together last week. Apparently the 2003 off Paddington isn’t diagrammed for the 802 at the moment (not sure why).

So another five winners for me in the South West(!) and 551 miles travelled. My next trip will be the main and headline trip for me this year. If I’m lucky I’ll match my winners for today on the first part but with what I need and what has happened (it will be explained due course!), it is unlikely that will happen!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Lots of drizzle in Frome & Westbury

Good decision on not heading to South Wales, where most of the stations have little bus shelters the seats inside are those slightly uncomfortable bar seats, and that assuming some of the locals haven't smashed up the waiting shelter (the one at Sarn was a sorry looking sight, any remaining panels which hadn't been smashed out were burnt)

noddy1878

Established Member
Kite, I definitely think it needs to be a dry day before I attempt to clear the Valleys.

So I am now less than 36 hours before two weeks off work. Bit of back story to how this trip came about. A couple of years ago I went on the GBRF15 rail tour which was a brilliantly organised and thoroughly enjoyable four days. Even at that point I said to myself should they ever repeat it I would book time off work and go on it. I don't get to go on as many tours as I'd like because of the way my work rota falls (and being what feels like an eternity away from where most tours start!) but this is one I could not miss.

With the dates announced I booked the time off work. The week leading up to it and then the week after, as this is what I did last time. The idea was the second week would be with my wife. Unfortunately she hadn't got much holiday left to book so she is only off for a bit of it. Anyway I now had the week leading up to the main event to do something with and with the tour booked onto back in March I had many options. Ultimately I had little choice in what I would need to do in the end. Why? Since I got back into the hobby back in 2010 I have managed to whittle everything that was BR legacy stock on the network on that day in May, to requiring 2 x HST power cars, 2 x 142, 2 x 153, 5 x 156, 7 x 158s, 6 x 165, 1 x 166 and 1 x 318. (I'm ignoring the 3 x 483s that I need).

Of that little lot the 142s are on borrowed time and are Northern! In fact apart from the Turbos all of what I need is Northern or Scottish. Of the 142s I have managed to whittle my requirements of them from six to two over the course of the year. No mean feat seeing as though they are all Northern ones and as we know they can be anywhere!!! So it was either a FONE or FONW. I have done one of each so far this year. East or West? I went East. Purely, even though it means nothing, because the two 142s I need are allocated to Heaton! I also need a little more on the East side unit wise and the beer is better on the East (Northern Monk, Magic Rock, Wylam for those that means anything too!).

So it was going to be effectively five days to hunt down those two Donkeys and anything else I could find with shacks thrown in for good measure. Since all this was booked though something has happened (which is good, just bad timing) which means I loose the best part of two days in the middle. Throw in another Northern strike and my plans are not what they once were! Priority is the 142s.

So tomorrow night my adventure starts in Plymouth where I will head West to Penzance! Yes Penzance. From there I will get the sleeper to London. I did this last year and had a much better nights sleep for it as I'd fallen asleep by the time we passed through Plymouth rather than being nearly Exeter if I got it from my home station. It's worth it for the extra £7.15 it's costing me.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Have a good trip on my patch while I had away from it for uni starting again!

That said, Sheffield is in the rover area too, so if your hunt brings you that far south, gimme a shout if you've a spare hour for a round in the Sheffield Tap :lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Have a safe trip to the North East, hopefully you can get something out of the Northern Strike timetable and those nodding donkeys haven't escaped to the west.

noddy1878

Established Member
Have a good trip on my patch while I had away from it for uni starting again!

That said, Sheffield is in the rover area too, so if your hunt brings you that far south, gimme a shout if you've a spare hour for a round in the Sheffield Tap :lol:

If I get what I need and end up down that way, I will.

Have a safe trip to the North East, hopefully you can get something out of the Northern Strike timetable and those nodding donkeys haven't escaped to the west.

If they've escaped west I don't mind as long as I can get to them with the time I have. Don't mind spending a little extra on required tickets to get them. I've written off Saturday with anything to do with Northern.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Great catching up with the last few reports Noddy. I haven’t had the spare time to do one this year but I might do a years round up at some point.
It’s always good to read what others are up to.

noddy1878

Established Member
14th September
I managed to leave work on time on the Friday. I was already packed but I had a bit of time before the 1841 to Penzance. So I called into my favourite Bottle Shop as they were having a Wylam Tap Takeover. With the board cleared it was then off to the station for an on time train to Penzance. 43190 and 43137 were in charge.

20180914-Penzance-43190
by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Once at Penzance I went and found a chippy before heading back to the station for the Night Riviera to London. I also found an unexpected 802 in the station too!

20180914-Penzance-802006 by Steven Booth, on Flickr
20180914-Penzance-57605 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

57605 was heading the train and my plan worked. I was asleep before Plymouth. I don’t remember any station stops actually until Reading.

15th September
One thing I hadn’t banked on was the Hammersmith and Circle not running. So I headed down to the Bakerloo. I had over an hour so it will be ok won’t it? The train never came! By the time a train showed up on the screen it was going to leave me 30 mins to get to Kings Cross and I needed to change onto the Victoria line. Too risky. Upstairs I went and just missed a bus! This wasn’t going well.

I had to get a black cab which got me there within 10 minutes but it was a painful £11. I went and got my tickets for what I needed to do for the day. I had some Rail Travel vouchers so I only I had to pay for my rover. I was issued the wrong one at first and I had get it corrected. I was now hoping the farce(s) since I got off the sleeper were it for my trip and went off to find my train! As I neared the front I noticed something slightly odd. It wasn’t a 91! That meant it was one of the hire ins and it may be a winner! It was 90020 which was a winner! Great and unexpected start! I put some gen requests in. Wasn’t sure what I was going to get but with Northern being on strike, over half my requirements were already unlikely to be out.

20180915-London Kings Cross-90020 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I took 90020 on a very bumpy ride to Peterborough. I wasn’t getting to the boundary of the Rover the quick way. From here I got 156405 to Spalding (it terminated here) where I got breakfast while I waited for it to return but continue to Lincoln.

20180915-Lincoln-156405 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Why was I going this way? I needed the bits of track between the main line and Sleaford station. I then had a short wait in Lincoln for 153382 and 153302 to arrive and it was then onto Barnetby to the final bit of track I needed. I now only have bits in North Wales to clear the network for normal passenger routes.

At Barnetby I boarded a rammed 185135 to Doncaster. I was now a bit unsure what to do now. Northern was mid strike so any of the four units I needed from them was unlikely to be out (and two of them and possibly a third are on borrowed time!) and I had had no gen from my non Northern units. I hung around at Doncaster for about an hour, partly because some Grand Central and Hull train units were due and I wanted to see if any were ones I needed. They weren’t so decided to move on. LNER hire in from EMT arrived with 43075 and 43061 so I took this to Leeds. At this point I had a little gen. Twitter accounts for Hull trains and Grand Central responded to my requests (thumbs up from them!) and I discovered one of my final two 180s were out. A quick look at the timetable and I found a move on.

185138 took me onto new shack Thirsk. I now also had a dilemma. There was a Wetherspoons here I hadn’t yet visited so decided to see if I could do it in the 43 mins! It was going to be tight. I made it (two bags in tow) within half the time I had. If I was served quick I’d be ok! I wasn’t served quick so I had one minute less to do the return trip back! Bizarrely its always quicker going back and I made it in time for winner 180114 for the short hop to Northallerton.

20180915-Northallerton-180114 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

It was nearly 1600 and now I was torn. Clearly there was nothing else I could get now. My original pre strike plan was to head towards Chathill for two shacks (involved a bus move) beyond Morpeth. My base camp for the night was in Middlesborough but didn’t fancy getting there too early so decided to head back to Leeds, but not for trains. Time to visit a couple of good beer bars and get some food before I head back North. I had about two hours as I wanted the direct train to Middlesborough (wasn’t going to trust Northern to be running anything) and wanted to be in the hotel by 2100 so I could watch the rerun of the Singapore GP qualifying which I had avoided the result for all day.

So after an awkward start in London and an annoying strike by Northern, I guess the day went pretty well. A bonus winning loco, route I needed cleared and one unit off the 7 that I could possibly get in the North East.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good news on getting the 180 & 90 into your book, plus some route coverage, bad on your plans going to pot due to the Northern strike & the farce getting from Paddington to Kings Cross. FYI Lancaster Gate station on the Central Line is less than a 10 minute walk from Paddington which could be an useful backup option

noddy1878

Established Member
16th September
So why had I chosen Middlesborough as my base for the first night of my FONE? Quite simply I needed all the shacks on the Whitby line! Today would be a start or attacking them. My train wasn’t until 0844 so it was a leisurely get ready and breakfast before 156472 did the honours and took me towards the coast. One thing I noticed was how windy it got overnight. Didn’t know that was in the forecast. Wind aside it was warm though and it was a pleasant journey along the Whitby line. It had been a few years since I had done the line.

My plan was not to go to the end though. I would bail at Ruswarp and walk back to Sleights.

20180916-Ruswarp-156472 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I made a significant rookie error though. I hadn’t realised we were running 3 late into Ruswarp. That combined with me laden with both bags and heading into the wind meant I missed the return of 156472. By a minute! To say I wasn’t happy was an understatement! This was going to be a long wait for the next train. Well the next train I could get on. A North Yorkshire Moors train passed through. I waited for it but it never turned up so I went. Guess what? It turned up when I had walked a good five minutes into the village. Great start to the day!

So to kill time I headed to a Garden Centre where I could at least get a cup of tea. It was then back to the station and I watched (thankfully I had a good mobile signal) some TV on my phone. I even managed to get a picture of the return of 1264 (now I knew what it was!).

20180916-1264-Sleights by Steven Booth, on Flickr

So after 2 hours and 11 minutes since I was last on a train, 156481 arrived. I got it to Whitby. So I did clear the line in the end! I got some supplies and off we went back towards Middlesborough. My error meant two shacks I was going to get were no longer in my sights and I got back onto the plan I had. 156481 took me to James Cook.

20180917-James Cook-156481 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Luckily my mobile signal once again was good enough in the area so I watched the Singapore GP as I carried out my next set of moves. I walked to Marton where I waited for 156469. This was taken to Nunthorpe where I then walked to Gypsy Lane to wait for its return. In the meantime Hamilton won the race so my mood from earlier was wiped out and all was good again!

156469 then took me quite a distance, it was time to clear the Hadrian wall line. 81 miles later I was at Haydon Bridge. I went in search of food and came across a nice little pub and had one of the best pizza I think I’ve ever had (or was I really hungry?). It was then 142065 back to Wylam for the 3 minute wait for 156486 which took me to my final shack of the line, Bardon Mill. I used the time during the 42 minute wait by speaking to my wife.

My final train fo the day would be 142071 which took me to Newcastle. It was then off to the hotel before I went back out for a few drinks in a couple of bars that were recommended to me.

In the end no winning trains (didn’t expect them to be honest!) but I did score 9 new shacks.

17th September
One incredibly annoying gap on my shack clearing map was St James on the Tyne & Wear Metro. I thought I had done it ages ago but I could find no record of it! I still needed a load of metro units but I didn’t have time to worry about them at this moment. I posted a gen request on the forums and sent a hopeful tweet to Northern. I didn’t want to be up at stupid o clock so got up at a reasonable time and was at Manors before 0800 for 4039 and 4046 to St James. Network cleared! Same units back to Monument where I hung around a while, just in case. 4070 and winner 4067 came in so took a leap to Haymarket and then decided to call it a day down here as there were more important things i needed to look for. 4064 and 4088 to Central and upstairs!

A cup of tea and bacon roll sourced, I checked up on some gen. Nothing on the forums (to save me repeating my self nothing came though the whole week form this source) but to my amazement Northern came up trumps. It was the only tweet they answered all week mind but it was something!

Both my 142s were out! I worked out where they were and how I could get them.

I jumped on the next Darlington bound train pushed by 91132. I then headed towards the bay platforms. After a short wait 142020 arrived!!!! One down!

20180917-Darlington-142020 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

This was had to Middlesborough.

20180917-Middlesborough-142020 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Now my next 142 was working from Nunthorpe but unfortunately that would be it for the day! Gutted! It worked ECS to the sidings and was a spare all day before ECS to Darlington that night. So what next? I decided to head to Leeds. In theory more chance of finding my last 185 and possibly Northern 153 and 158. 185124 was had for that journey south. As we passed Neville Hill there it was! 153351! It looked doing nothing, until perhaps the peaks! That wasn’t going to happen then. I hung around at Leeds for a while in the hope one of the many 185s that pass through was good or the off chance 158906 was around. Nothing. I started getting a bit inpatient (I’m patient if there is some hope of something but if not….). I decided to go for some shacks. I couldn’t stand around all day.

142029 took me to Moorthorpe where I would take what was my last 144 earlier in the year, the ePacer (144012) to Pontefract Baghill. It was then the walk across town to Pontefract Tanshelf for 153315 and 153324 to Pontefract Monkhill. It does astound me that there are three stations here. I’m sure there are bigger places that hasn’t even got a station that does have a railway line passing through it!

20180917-Pontefract-Monkhill-153324 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I waited for their return and onto final new shack of the day, Glasshoughton. I used the hour here to pop to the spoons to get lunch.

It was now time to head to Leeds and start my (totally unplanned but necessary!!! move home. 144023 arrived and I was on the lookout for 70002 at Midland Road. Where is it? It’s my final Frieghtliner 70 and I saw a lot but not that one. There was one I couldn’t ID but that could have been any of their others! Once at Leeds I went to go and check into the hotel I wouldn’t be using that night (I couldn’t cancel it as I wouldn’t have got my money back so there was no point). I could leave one of my bags there however so I did. It was then 185110 to York where I had a few minutes to wait for 43257 and 43316 to get going to London Kings Cross.

20180917-York-43257 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

We got held up for about 25 minutes outside Doncaster. A LNER service from Leeds had blocked the throat of the station and nothing was moving. Eventually they did get it moving but I was now hoping to lose more time. We got to 35L but as if by magic we gained some time between Finsbury Park and the Cross. Luckily not enough. Top marks to LNER though. I put in my delay repay claim last Thursday and have already had the RTV back. Only half the cost but £11.50 but is better than nothing.

It was then down to the Hammersmith/Cirlce line for 21351/21352 to Paddington. I grabbed some food and then onto my train home. Wasn’t the booked IET but 43196 and 43027.

The journey was going ok and we got to Newton Abbot about 3 minutes down. I soon realised we’d been there a while and the Voyager that was behind pulled up along side. What was going on now then? Fair play to the guard on this GWR train, he kept everyone informed. Anyway an HST had broken down between Totnes and Ivybridge. Between that and us was a XC Voyager and two ECS trains. The signallers left us in the platform at Newton Abbot for 79 minutes before we moved. A start stop journey all the way to Plymouth saw us finally arrive 127L. I’m still waiting for the delay repay from this (applied for at the same time as the LNER) one. I finally got to my house at 0215! This wasn’t planned!

noddy1878

Established Member
Good news on getting the 180 & 90 into your book, plus some route coverage, bad on your plans going to pot due to the Northern strike & the farce getting from Paddington to Kings Cross. FYI Lancaster Gate station on the Central Line is less than a 10 minute walk from Paddington which could be an useful backup option

I didn't think about Lancaster Gate. I'll have to bear that in mind should this ever happen again.

James Wake

Excellent read Noddy, shame about the Paddington fiasco. I presume you just missed a 205? Next time, as well as Lancaster Gate you could instead catch a 27 from Paddington to Warren Street, then change onto the Victoria Line or perhaps onto a 30 or 73 to Euston or King's Cross, or an 18 to Euston.

noddy1878

Established Member
Thanks. Think it was a 205. The biggest problem was I was running out of time. I just needed to be at Kings Cross!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good luck with the wait for something back from GWR, they are not the fastest at processing delay claims.

Bad news on losing out on a couple of the Whitby line stations, but good news on getting Baghill in the bag :lol:

Skymonster

Established Member
Enjoyed those two reports, although the concept of jumping off and on at every station around the network is still something I personally can't get excited about...
144023 arrived and I was on the lookout for 70002 at Midland Road. Where is it? It’s my final Frieghtliner 70 and I saw a lot but not that one. There was one I couldn’t ID but that could have been any of their others!
70002 has been at Midland Road since [at least] the beginning of August - possibly much longer. However, it has not during that period been on the front row near the running lines but has been tucked back on one of the roads on the other side of the shed along with 70015.

noddy1878

Established Member
Good luck with the wait for something back from GWR, they are not the fastest at processing delay claims.

Bad news on losing out on a couple of the Whitby line stations, but good news on getting Baghill in the bag :lol:

Well at the moment I'm in no rush to be honest. I have a busy month or so ahead so doesn't matter that much, as long as I do eventually get it. :)

Enjoyed those two reports, although the concept of jumping off and on at every station around the network is still something I personally can't get excited about...

70002 has been at Midland Road since [at least] the beginning of August - possibly much longer. However, it has not during that period been on the front row near the running lines but has been tucked back on one of the roads on the other side of the shed along with 70015.

Well I did see something at the back but no idea what it was so the wait will go on.

noddy1878

Established Member
18th September
There isn’t going to be a lot to write about for this day. The reason I had to go home was dealt and my wife dropped me at the station for the 1100 to Paddington. 43071 and 43176 took me on a fast run (I love the 1100 off Plymouth to Paddington. It only stops at Exeter and Reading) to Paddington. I got some good news en route. A mate of mine was able to get some gen for me regarding my last 142! Once at Paddington I headed to the Hammersmith Line where going the wrong way was 21467/21468. I jumped on it to Royal Oak and then caught 21557/21558 back through to Kings Cross. It was then onto my train back North which was hauled by 91130. I had a tight connection later in the day if things were going to work out as I had hoped. Wasn’t critical but would save time.

My train was running late and with a fear that it would be overtaken by the train I needed to catch behind, I bailed at Newark North Gate for 91116 which would then take me onto Newcastle. I had a few minutes for Sunderland bound 156492 which I got, just. Once at Sunderland it was a waiting game at in my opinion is one of the worst stations in Britain. After 20 odd minutes I could see a 142 coming into the station. Which one was it? It was 142092! With that they were clear! My top goal for this trip complete. It was a relief because with the unexpected trip back home I effectively lost a day and a half and I thought that would go against me!

20180918-Newcastle-142092 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

It was now back to Leeds. Simple enough form Newcastle. 185112 direct to Leeds and I called it a day there.

19th September
My plan this morning was a couple of shacks whilst the peak was still on as it was easier then than in the off peaks, well means less waiting around. So armed with a £4 single I boarded 333015 to Apperley Bridge. From here my rover would be valid and 144018 was had onto Kirkstall Forge.

20180919-Kirkstall Forge-144018 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

A pleasant cafe was here in the main building next to the station so I want and got a cup of tea which meant the 25 minute wait was easy. 333002 then came in and it was back to Leeds.

I hung around for a while, torn between roving around getting shacks or looking for either 153351, 158906 of 185102. In the end I boarded a train to Hull. I couldn’t just stand around all day. 185105 took me to Selby and as we passed Neville Hill, for the second time this week there it was, 153351! Not going anywhere soon so came up with a plan. I bailed at Selby and waited for the York train hoping it was a 158 that I needed. It wasn’t so I didn’t board it.

20180919-Selby-155347 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I took 158758 that was in the bay to Micklefield.

20180919-Mickleford-158758 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

It was then 153352 and 158904 back to South Milford. I had to wait for their return so had a wonder. Nice little village and time went quite quickly. 158904 and 153352 returned and it was onto Bramley I went on it for a nearby spoons for lunch. Once back at the station 153377, 153328 and 1564424 took me back to Leeds. Once back at Leeds I had to wait as this was part of my plan. After a short while an ECS move off Neville Hill came in. It wasn’t anything I needed. I hung around once more for while to see if anything I needed came in but nope. I then did a trip on 333011 to Ilkley and back. Purely to kill time for my plan and at least get a bit more out of my ticket.

It was now time for the next ECS move off Neville Hill, and there it was…

20180919-Leeds-153351 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Time was getting tight and thankfully this formed a service in the direction I needed to go, and I was able to get a new shack too! I boarded 153351 led by 144007 and took this to Sandel & Agbrigg.

20180919-Sandal & Agbrigg-153351 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

That means I now only have one EMT 153 left to get! I honestly thought the Northern ones would be the ones I would never clear due to the fact they can literally be anywhere (I suppose that the case for any Northern unit!). It was then 322485 to Doncaster for 91130 to London.

It was then over to St Pancras International for Thameslink trains to East Croydon. First 700008 to Farringdon, then 700123 to Blackfriars, 700144 to London Bridge before 700102 to East Croydon.

So that was it! The first part of my trip complete and despite things that I hadn’t planned for 6 months ago, I was extremely happy with what I had achieved. Of the eight required units I was after, I got four of them including the 142s and 153, the route I needed and 22 new shacks.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Mega Congrats on clearing the 142s and Northern 153s :)

[BTW the picture of the 155 at Selby has the wrong title (picture is 155347 but the title is 155348)]

87electric

Well done nailing your last 2 Class 142 units. I would go further and say Sunderland is the worst station. Just awful.

The_Train

Established Member
Some good reads there and a very productive time in Northern land. Congrats on clearances

Established Member
Great reads there Noddy. Very surprised you didn't go to.the Boathouse next to Wylam Station. Good pub and has a massive selection of Real Ales and serves some good grub.
Tilleys and Bodegas are good real ale pubs in Newcastle and just a short walk from Central Station. The Mile Castle, The Star and The Forth are good pubs very close to Central Station too.
Congrats on clearing the bouncing bombs and getting the 153 and 180.
Readily agree about Snow Hill on Wear.(Sunderland) Was great when loco hauled turns used to leave there, especially going towards Newcastle, as there's as a gradient out of the station, a 37 with load 10, driver notching the handle back, the sound just reverberated off the cavernous walls. Had 20s, 31s, 37s, HSTs and peaks( i usually sat looking for something more interesting to do, than go to the window for them two) and 47s. Ive certainly had some very entertaining starts outta there. Unfortunately that's it's only plus point.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Great reads there Noddy. Very surprised you didn't go to.the Boathouse next to Wylam Station. Good pub and has a massive selection of Real Ales and serves some good grub.
Tilleys and Bodegas are good real ale pubs in Newcastle and just a short walk from Central Station. The Mile Castle, The Star and The Forth are good pubs very close to Central Station too.
Readily agree about Snow Hill on Wear.(Sunderland) Was great when loco hauled turns used to leave there, especially going towards Newcastle, as there's as a gradient out of the station, a 37 with load 10, driver notching the handle back, the sound just reverberated off the cavernous walls. Had 20s, 31s, 37s, HSTs and peaks( i usually sat looking for something more interesting to do, than go to the window for them two) and 47s. Ive certainly had some very entertaining starts outta there. Unfortunately that's it's only plus point.

You should have seen it on Saturday when the Deltic passed through...

... It was a bit on the smokey side to say the least

noddy1878

Established Member
Mega Congrats on clearing the 142s and Northern 153s :)
[BTW the picture of the 155 at Selby has the wrong title (picture is 155347 but the title is 155348)]
Thanks and I fixed it! :)

Well done nailing your last 2 Class 142 units. I would go further and say Sunderland is the worst station. Just awful.
Thanks and I think you might be right!

Some good reads there and a very productive time in Northern land. Congrats on clearances
Thank you!

I just didn't have time unfortunately. I only had a +3 at Wylam and I didn't go to half the bars I had planned to go to whilst I was away, the trains took priority after all! ;)
I bet the sound at Sunderland was amazing at times but its a dire place to spend any time at waiting for a train! :'(

noddy1878

Established Member
20th September - GBRf ‘Out of the Ordinary’ Day 1
So the day had arrived. The start of the GBRf 18. Due off London Victoria at 0939 I had time to hunt some units out in the morning peak and also get an annoying shack gap on my map along with a tiny bit of track. This meant an early start! I took just what I needed for the day as I would be in the same hotel that night, and boarded 377608 and 377602 with 0553 to Clapham. An 18 minute wait (felt like an eternity in London terms mind!) bought me 377313, 377308 and bonus winner 377454 then took me onto Battersea Park. From here I would get the London Overground service with 378226 that would join into the main network to Dalston Junction. I bailed at Wandsworth Road and 378143 took me back to Clapham. It was now a case of unit hunting before breakfast. I also didn’t want to venture too far as I didn’t want to get held up in any problems!

After half an hour I spotted a unit that I needed. I boarded 377440 and off to Victoria I went. I had no idea what the unit behind was. I checked at Victoria and it was another winner! 377415! As I escaped from the platforms I spotted a 465 that was needed. A quick check on RTT and I could easily get it to Denmark Hill and back. 465156 and 465921 were had out and 466023, 466008 and 465197 back. It was too risky to do any other moves now so I went and got a large Spoons breakfast.

I had a message from Kite and then went and joined him as we waited for the tour to start. Kite it was finally great to meet you in person! The ECS had been bought in and I got a picture before the adjacent line had another train in it.

20180920-London Victoria-73963, 73961 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

It was now time for the tour to start properly. Thankfully the guys that were sat with me were nice and friendly. I hate to say but there are some people who go on these tours that actually give people who enjoy our hobby a bad name. Spookily of our table and the one opposite, four of us were called Steve! This obviously was fun for the next four days! :lol:

66782 led the tour away with its GBRf Charity Tour livery. Like the previous tour we went via Herne Hill through to Wimbledon before a run down the South Western main line. At Worting Junction we went in the direction of Salisbury. We were well ahead of time and got held outside Salisbury for the preceding trains to cross Tunnel Junction. Eventually (back on time) we got going and it was onto to Westbury for a pickup stop.

20180920-Westbury-66782 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Anyway from Westbury we continued on to Bristol Temple Meads. From here 73963 and 73961 would lead the tour.

20180920-Bristol Temple Meads-73963, 73961 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Two more people joined here which filled the table opposite us. They were avoiding anything to do with sheds so for half this tour they weren’t on it! We left Temple Meads and at Narroways Hill Junction went left down to Avonmouth. It was then some new track for me as we took the freight only route back towards Patchway before heading under the Severn and into Wales.

At this point there was a change of plan. The original plan was to head to Celsa at Cardiff Tidal but they pulled the plug a few days before and a change of plan was required. This meant our most recent passengers opposite left the train at Newport! We then went onto Pengam Sidings and 66766 was swapped with the 73s on the front. They ran round and were now on the back. We then went on through one of the Cardiff through roads to Port Talbot Signal 3462. Confusingly this isn’t at Port Talbot but just west of Bridgend. The 73s then took us back eastwards through the other Cardiff through line, and after a quick stop at Pengam Sidings once more to lose 66766, we continued to Newport. A full compliment of seats taken once more, we were now on the final leg of the day as we headed back to England. We went via Gloucester and then down to Swindon. At Didcot West the 73s made way for 87002. We then had a frustratingly slow stagger to Reading before we were finally put on the fasts and wow! 87002 had an absolutely storming run to Paddington, easily hitting 100mph. It really was quite something and history was made as 87002 because the first AC locomotive carrying passengers into Paddington.

20180920-London Paddington by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I made my way to East Croydon via the tube and Thameslink. Annoyingly 700102 form the night before took me to East Croydon. I couldn’t be bothered to wait for anything else as I was tired so I had to make do with it! What a great first day despite the disappointment of the Celsa part of the trip.

21st September GBRf ‘Out of the Ordinary’ Day 2
No lie in or taking it easy today! Up nice and early with all my stuff and onto 700105 at 0540 to St Pancras. Quickly outside and to McDonalds for breakfast before heading up the road to Euston. 66728 was already here having bought the ECS in.

20180921-London Euston-66728 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

The tour would start here today led by winner 20311 and 20132.

20180921-London Euston-20311 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180921-London Euston-20132 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

There was no sign of the guy next to me the day before which gave me room but we were wondering where he’d got to. As there was a 66 involved there was also an empty pair of seats on the table opposite. Anyway, we headed out past Willesden where I spotted my first 710s and it was on to Watford for the first pick up. It was then on off up to Bletchley for the gentle run over to Bedford. Then up to Wellingborough Yard where we would reverse. 66728 now took us south towards West Hampstead. We went down the bi directional slow line which was good as I needed that bit of track and then we took freight only route past Cricklewood and in behind West Hampstead. The 20s were now back in charge and it was time to head to south west London via Neasden South Junction and onto to South Acton Junction where required route for me saw us take the Kew East and New Kew junction onto the Chiswick line to Clapham Junction. We now dived under and joined the line towards Denmark Hill. After a bit of a stagger we got going and headed out towards Kent via Dartford and past Hoo Junction. Of the few locos here 66777 was spotted and that was needed so that was good. We continued round to Strood where we went straight on down the Medway line where we then went on into Tonbridge Yard, where there were plenty of 73s!

20180921-Tonbirdge Yard-73119 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180921-Tonbridge Yard-73128 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180921-Tonbridge Yard-73201 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180921-Tonbridge Yard-73212 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

At Tonbridge the 66 was removed and a pair of original 73s (73141 and 73107) were put on the (now front of the the train). Their first job was a short journey up through the disused Royal Mail. The 20s were then back in charge once more and it was back to London. The destination was Acton Reception Sidings via Bat & Ball, then Beckenham Junction (instead of booked route via Lewisham), then towards Clapham before veering off up passed Kensington Olympia. Many people bailed here for the wait and return of the train. I stayed on (actually the people I was with did too) and at this point the guy sat next to me the day before joined the train. Guttingly for him his alarm didn’t go off! It was off to Acton Reception where the train was watered ready for the night leg of the tour. The 20s were removed and 92033 was put on the back of the train.

Once this was done the 73s took the train back to the centre of London and into Waterloo’s old international platforms whilst picking up those who got off at Kensington Olympia eariler. Completely awful for pictures but here we are.

20180921-London Waterloo-73141 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180921-London Waterloo-73107, 73141 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180921-London Waterloo-92033 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

We had half an hour here to get supplies. I went to the M&S and got some food and beer to see me through the evening.

21st/22nd September GBRf ‘Out of the Ordinary’ Day N
We were soon off, (the missing two from the other table are also now on board and would be for the rest of the tour seeing as though no more 66s were to be involved) and winning 92033 (also my first time with a 92 on the 3rd rail) took us back past Kensington Olympia and onto the West Coast Mainline. We came off the main route and went via Northampton. The next diversion was as we approached Crewe. We went into Basford Yard before diving under and taking the Independent line to come out the other side of Crewe station. That bit was new route for me. It was then up to Preston before veering left and onto Blackpool. Another first, the first AC loco carrying passengers into Blackpool North. It must have been very painful for the staff at Blackpool North. All those people taking pictures!!

20180922-Blackpool North-92033 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Once this was all done the 73s once more had job to do. It was back to Preston where we would reverse once more and head to Scotland. Some kip was had, not a lot but did the best I could. We arrived into Motherwell just before 0500 and people who were only on the Day N leg left and others who were on the Day 3 portion of the tour joined. We then continued on into Mossend Yard where Day N finished.

22nd September GBRf ‘Out of the Ordinary’ Day 3
We left Mossend with 56113 now in charge. The 73s had been split, with one each end. 73141 was tucked in behind 56113 and would be assisting en route. Our main destination today was Fort William. Our route was up to Whifflet South Junction and across to Queen Street passing through it on the Low Level Platforms. We then continued on via Anniesland with another pickup at Dalmuir. It was then onwards to Fort William. My favourite line in the county for scenery, absolutely wonderful. We lost a bit of time and arrived 15 late into Fort William. Just before we arrived the 56 was removed which saw 73141 take the train into the station for the final half mile solo (may have had assistance from 73107 to get going).

20180922-Fort William-73141 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

We had about an hour and half here now. I was desperate for food and made my way (along with many others) to the Spoons at the other end of the high street. It took a while but my All Day Breakfast was a treat and hit the spot! Enough time for a dash into Morrissons for some beer and food for the rest of the tour.

56113 was once more leading with 73107 now the assisting loco. A quick stop at Crianlarich meant a photo was got and a small leg stretch.

20190922-Crianlarich-73107, 56113 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

We continued south and retraced our steps as far as Anniesland. At Partick we headed south to pass under Glasgow Central before heading through Rutherglen and towards Hamilton. We then swung round and once more we were back at Motherwell for a drop off/pick up. Into Mossend for the final time today, a loco swap around saw the 56 no on its own with the 73s both on the back together. We then continued north and up to Coatbridge Central and Falkirk Grahamston. At Linlithgow we took the route towards Dalmeny and crossed the Forth Bridge. The train stopped at Rosyth Down Loop and the 73s were now back in charge. For the first time ever a pair of original 73s hauled the train back of the Forth Bridge and onto Edinburgh.

20180922-Edinburgh-73141, 107 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180922-Edinburgh-56113 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

From here (after the not so great plan of how the locos would be swapped as our train was fouling the cross overs) 90041 was attached to our train and took us on the final leg of the day into Glasgow Central via Falkirk Grahamston and Coatbridge Central. This meant the curve from Coatbridge Junction to Langloan Junction was new for me.

20180922-Glasgow Central-90041 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

So that was Day 3! We were all exhausted and we all went off to wherever we had booked for the night. I was in the easy hotel (along with quite a few others it would so seem). It had just gone midnight and I slept incredibly well!

23rd September GBRf ‘Out of the Ordinary’ Day 4
The final day already? So the first part of the final day wasn’t what GBRf had planned. Network Rail at literally the last minute decided we couldn’t go to Paisley Canal as they didn’t know how high the OHLE was! Shocking! So a hastily put together plan saw us head to Paisley St James with 73107 and 73141. 47749 then took us back to Polmadie (via Shields Junction and West Street Tunnel so new route for me). The 73s we now in charge for the penultimate time and took us back into Glasgow Central.

20180923-Glasgow Central-73107, 73141 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

2080923-Glasgow Central-47749 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

For those that chose to lie and and not do the stock turn move, they could now rejoin the train and start our trip back to London. 47749 did the first stint. We were originally planned to go via Dumfries, but engineering works put paid to that idea. So instead it was the normal route southwards bar the initial bit where we went via Mount Florida and then through to Newton. A reasonably good run saw us 2 down at Carlisle. From here a pair of Freightliner 86s would be put on the front.

20180923-Carlisle-47749, 86637, 86639 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180923-Carlisle-86639, 86637 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180923-Carlisle-47749 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

And just to prove they were still there

20180923-Carlisle-73107, 73141 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

86639 and 86637 now took us onto Crewe for another loco change. This time a pair of 50s (50007 and 50049) were swapped with the 86s.

20180923-Crewe-86s & 50s by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180923-Crewe-50007, 50049 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Our planned route from Crewe was down to Shrewsbury and then across to Wolverhampton. From here we went via Bescot and onto Coventry. People were starting to leave the train now as it was clear easier for them to get home from here. We then went on towards Leamington Spa. At Ruislip we went onto the Greenford branch via the junctions there and on to Hanwell Loop (the curve off the Greenford branch here was new for me).

It was nearly time! 73107 and 73141 for the final leg of the entire tour took us into Paddington to a fanfare of horn blowing!

20180923-London Paddington-50049 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20180923-London Paddington-73107, 73141 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

What a fantastic tour! Despite the two bits that were taken away (Celsa and Paisley Canal) it was brilliantly organised and a massive thank you to all who were involved. We don’t know yet what money has been raised but its apparently into six figure and is more than the last tour! Amazing!

After this I had a fair wait for my train home! I went to the local chippy for some fish and chips. I then headed to pub on Paddington station where i met three of the guys who were sat near me on the tour! As it turned out, two of them were heading west on the sleeper! We sat and socialised for the next hour or so before we headed to the train! 57603 would be taking me home. We said our goodbyes and headed off to which ever part of the train we would be in. The end of an amazing four days!

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's nice to see a review of the tour from the cheap seats :lol: But agreed it was an amazing four days, lots of variety & novelty.

The_Train

Established Member
Nice report and some great pics. Having read your report and the one by @Kite159 it seems like a good time was had by all.

Is this tour an annual event?

Status
Not open for further replies.