• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non stop Pendolino

Status
Not open for further replies.

hstmatt

Hi can anyone give me the times to the non stop Pendolino between Glasgow and London and the return journey. The one that goes non stop between London and Preston what times do they run? Thanks. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
1630 Euston - Preston - Glasgow, also cleaned up poor spelling, please check your posts before submitting them.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
There isn't a similar southbound equivalent to the 1630, although both the 1140 & 1340 ex Glasgow stop once instead of twice between Carlisle & Preston, before heading non stop to Euston.

rail-britain

Established Member
1630 Euston - Preston - Glasgow
The stop at Preston is for a crew change and pretty much empties the train!
First Class can reduce to just a handful of passengers
It can often stop at Carlisle as well, but not officially
Seems to happen about once a week, if doing so it is routed into Platform 1

Southbound 09:40 or 13:40 Glasgow - Euston is the nearest you get to non-stop, calling at Carlisle, Oxenholme, and Preston or the 13:40 swapping Oxenholme for Penrith
Strangely there aren't any equivalent such services northbound, they all have pretty much the same stopping pattern

There is very little time lost by stopping at Carlisle, as the 16:30 (northbound) proves as it passes through at the very low line speed

voyagerdude220

Established Member
The stop at Preston is for a crew change and pretty much empties the train!
First Class can reduce to just a handful of passengers
It can often stop at Carlisle as well, but not officially
Seems to happen about once a week, if doing so it is routed into Platform 1

Southbound 09:40 or 13:40 Glasgow - Euston is the nearest you get to non-stop, calling at Carlisle, Oxenholme, and Preston or the 13:40 swapping Oxenholme for Penrith
Strangely there aren't any equivalent such services northbound, they all have pretty much the same stopping pattern

There is very little time lost by stopping at Carlisle, as the 16:30 (northbound) proves as it passes through at the very low line speed

Note that it was only the 09:40 ex Glasgow during the Summer holidays- it is currently as I posted above, with the 09:40 stopping at Wigan & Warrington as per normal.

I'd be very surprised If what you say about the "unofficial Carlisle stop" takes place as you say- surely drivers would be in trouble for stopping out of course?

rail-britain

Established Member
I'd be very surprised If what you say about the "unofficial Carlisle stop" takes place as you say- surely drivers would be in trouble for stopping out of course?
No this happens at least once a week, and you can tell that you will be stopping as the train uses Platform 1 along with an adverse signal
Presumably the driver has phoned ahead
The doors remain closed, no passengers on the platform, but quite often Virgin Trains staff standing near the walkway

voyagerdude220

Established Member
It could be, but I'm sure the TM and Driver both change at Preston.

CSAs etc on the other hand probably go all the way, judging from the only time I've used this train myself.

Tugzrule

No this happens at least once a week, and you can tell that you will be stopping as the train uses Platform 1 along with an adverse signal
Presumably the driver has phoned ahead
The doors remain closed, no passengers on the platform, but quite often Virgin Trains staff standing near the walkway

The train can go on any platform and of late has been using P3. If it is stopping, the train will still have the aspect to proceed non-stop but will often stop short of the usual position and the passenger(s) who cannot read the destination board at Preston will usually be let off through the crew door at the front. Very rare does the guard unlock the doors on the full train. It truly is a pointless exercise the non-stop running, just like the Flying Scotsman at York

voyagerdude220

Established Member
That wouldn't surprise me..

A week or two ago I was watching this train at Preston. A few moments before the TM closed the doors, a small group of teenage guys jumped on at the last minute very near to me, with beer cans to hand.

I shouted "Are you going to Glasgow?!", with the slightly slurred reply being "No, Lancaster"..

Needless to say they were very grateful after they made a very quick u-turn, preferring to avoid a night in Glasgow..

rail-britain

Established Member
It could be, but I'm sure the TM and Driver both change at Preston.
CSAs etc on the other hand probably go all the way, judging from the only time I've used this train myself.
Yes, it is a complete train crew change at Preston, but sometimes one or two of the catering staff stay on (reducing from six to three)
Also take advantage of the final round of food and drinks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The train can go on any platform and of late has been using P3. If it is stopping, the train will still have the aspect to proceed non-stop but will often stop short of the usual position and the passenger(s) who cannot read the destination board at Preston will usually be let off through the crew door at the front
As above, when the train is not stopping it passes through Platform 3, I've never been through Platform 1 when it is not stopping
It only seems to use Platform 1 when stopping and always receive an adverse (red) signal

I know at least twice this was due to having a passenger travelling to Carlisle (in error)
Apart from that nothing else seems to happen
Very possible the driver has phoned ahead to ask for the train to be stopped at Carlisle so that they can quickly visit the toilet
However, no such stop ever happens between Euston and Preston!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.