• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North TPE May 2014 proposed timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waverley125

Debatable. Doncaster is an important interchange station, with quite a large catchment area (Lincolnshire and Humberside, as well as parts of South Yorkshire). Also, while Doncaster does have Scottish services already, these are very infrequent, with only 8tpd continuing beyond Newcastle, and only 3 services between 9am and 5 pm.

Also re-read my earlier post in this topic. In the current timetable, while there is 2tph from Doncaster to Newcastle, they depart within 10 minutes of each other.

FYI, the time penalty for XC service going via Leeds and not Doncaster is roughly 20 minutes.

I haven't got that much experience of travelling north of Edinburgh, but from the few services I have used, I can agree with your comments.

I'm not sure about your comment that people from the Midlands need to get to Newcastle though. If the North East XC services are swapped round, so the NESW goes via Doncaster instead, for the Sheffield - Leeds - York passengers, there will be a simple same platform, or at worst, cross platform change at York

Is there not? As quite a lot of the members on the forum are not railway staff, we don't get access to a detailed breakdown of what tickets are actually sold. All we can go on is anecdotal evidence and personal experiences, as well as the station usage reports.

Again, re-read my comments about Doncaster - Edinburgh. I do not call 8tpd between the 2 as frequent, especially when there is on 3 services between 9am and 5pm. Also, taking all XC services away from Doncaster is a regressive step, as it will half the number of services from there to Newcastle.

That plan is simply daft! Let me pick a lot of holes in your plan ....

London - Newcastle - Scotland. That is a big market for East Coast, you according to your plan, it's not needed, so instead you truncate it at Newcastle and reduce the frequency to 1tph

Leeds - Newcastle - Scotland. 4tph Leeds - Newcastle? Is there really that much demand? With the proposed timetable, it goes to 3tph anyway

XC Birmingham - Newcastle. No demand for passengers to go to Doncaster, and the surrounding catchment area?

Newcastle - Scotland. Only 1 (semi) fast tph? Another reduction in frequency ....

Also, is there the demand for a full length train every hour between Aberdeen and Edinburgh?

What about the Inverness and Scarborough services?

Seeing as you haven't mention them, I'm assuming the KX - Leeds services will stay as they are.

Basically, in your "perfect plan", Only Leeds/York - Newcastle - Edinburgh is worth bothering about, sod everyone else that wants to get anywhere using East Coast ....

Ok, re-read this and then reply

I support an hourly London-Edinburgh service with a calling pattern of Peterborough, Doncaster, York, Darlington, Durham, Newcastle, Morpeth, Alnmouth, Berwick & Dunbar

I support an additional service every other hour from London-Aberdeen calling York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Haymarket, Kirkcaldy, Leuchars, Dundee, Arbroath, Montrose & Aberdeen.

This would give Doncaster an hourly service to Edinburgh, which is a perfectly good service for interchange from north Lincolnshire & Humberside (though a lot of East Yorkshire changes at York not Doncaster).

I also support a second hourly service to Newcastle calling Stevenage, Peterborough, Grantham, Newark, Retford, Doncaster, York, Northallerton, Darlington & Durham.

This would give doncaster a half-hourly connection to Newcastle, which is definitely enough for 'North Lincolnshire and Humberside' which has a collective population of about 750k, as opposed to Greater Leeds' 3 million.

There is a 20 minute time penalty for Leeds, but given the loadings you get at Leeds that is very obviously worth it, especially given the ease of interchange for Rotherham & the Dearne Valley towns at Doncaster.

As for your last bit the only explanation I could see is that you cannot read. What I proposed would give

London-Newcastle: 2tph
London-Scotland: 3tp2h
Newcastle-Edinburgh: 3tph

I've assumed Inverness & Scarborough would keep their services as under the SQ, but not necessarily-they could be replaced.

Lastly, for trains to Doncaster from the midlands. I think there probably is a market here, but given you can already use EC services to York, it would seem most sensible to route any XC trains either to Cleethorpes or to Hull. Personally I prefer Hull as a destination as it's much less well served and much more in need of good connections than Middlesbrough.

And wait....what's this.....if you cut XC services from going to Scotland, you can run a 3rd XC service along the core, to Hull via Doncaster, Thorne North & Goole to supplement the fast Hull-Sheffield and Hull-London services.

As for Middlesbrough, I'd also support (post wiring) its addition to the EC map with an hourly service calling Peterborough, Grantham, Newark/Retford, Doncaster, York, Northallerton & Thornaby.

EDIT:

Have just checked timetables, and there is no 'Twenty minute time penalty' for running via Leeds, the difference is 6 MINUTES. Sheffield-York via Doncaster: 59 minutes, Sheffield-York via Leeds: 65 minutes.

So yeah, 2tph via Leeds is not a problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
Have just checked timetables, and there is no 'Twenty minute time penalty' for running via Leeds, the difference is 6 MINUTES. Sheffield-York via Doncaster: 59 minutes, Sheffield-York via Leeds: 65 minutes

I might come back to some of the other realistic comments in this thread later, but I suggest you check the timetable, for example look at how the southbound XC services depart Newcastle at around xx.35 and xx.41 yet are half an hour apart at Sheffield. The penalty for running via Leeds is quite significant (in terms of extra distance, in terms of extra loading time and in terms of difficulty pathing a service through the congested lines at Leeds City Station).

So if they are six minutes apart at Newcastle but that difference has stretched to half an hour apart by the time they get down to Sheffield, I'd suggest that this was a lot more than a six minute difference.

Stats

There is a difference in the time penalty depending on the direction of travel.

Current journey times XC services

York - Sheffield via Doncaster 46 minutes
York - Sheffield via Leeds 66 minutes
time penalty via Leeds 20 minutes

Sheffield - York via Doncaster 57-59 minutes
Sheffield - York via Leeds 65 minutes
time penalty via Leeds 6-8 minutes

Last edited:

Waverley125

Well northbound the difference is 6 minutes, so I have no idea why that is. Either northbound services are running slow, or southbounds are fast.

via Leeds should be pretty easy to speed up anyway, as the line south of Moorthorpe isn't so twisty it couldn't be run at 100.

D1009

Established Member
Well northbound the difference is 6 minutes, so I have no idea why that is.

It's mainly due to the number of Northern stopping services in the way. The XC srvice has to fit in to all the different service patterns between Reading and Newcastle, and they fit some better than others.

SuperOwl86

How would you route both XCs via Leeds considering you have the two stoppers from SHF and DON and Northern or who ever looking to route another service on this line?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Well northbound the difference is 6 minutes, so I have no idea why that is. Either northbound services are running slow, or southbounds are fast.

via Leeds should be pretty easy to speed up anyway, as the line south of Moorthorpe isn't so twisty it couldn't be run at 100.

Its not just about linespeeds though - the amount of other trains getting in the way make pathing difficult. I'm sure that the time penalty for 'via Leeds" wouldn't be the twenty four minutes it is on some services if you did it in the middle of the night, but its very difficult to path services through (hence them getting delayed behind Pacers etc)..Best to keep longer distance services away from such bottlenecks if possible

YorkshireBear

Established Member
But none of this has anything to do with North TPE which is what the tread is about

Its related though, we are discussing where to draw the line between XC and TPE service from yorkshire to NE and how to split them between the two. That does effect north TPE.

Tangents happen, nature of a discussion involving humans. And that isnt meant sarcastically sorry it comes across that way just that we as people tend to go off on one :)

Viscount702

I disagree. Although that has been touched upon a large proportion of the thread has been dealing with EC but more particularly how Leeds/Hull and other places in Yorkshire need better services either between them or elsewhere. Not really North TP.

Also the thread was primarily to discuss the May 2014 changes when in fact most of the discussions even when relevant are post electrification of North TP

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I disagree. Although that has been touched upon a large proportion of the thread has been dealing with EC but more particularly how Leeds/Hull and other places in Yorkshire need better services either between them or elsewhere. Not really North TP.

Also the thread was primarily to discuss the May 2014 changes when in fact most of the discussions even when relevant are post electrification of North TP

Well like i said that is the nature of human interaction.... It happens a lot on this forum and it brings about some very interesting discussions because of it.

pemma

Veteran Member
Yes, but we're talking a small town near Leeds. 7 trains an hour to Leeds and 5 to Manchester is sufficient. Let the eighth roll through the station at 40mph (plat 2 towards Man, plat 4 towards Leeds I think may have the highest speed) and save 5-10 minutes

I think there's some confusion about which platforms are at Huddersfield and what they are used for.

Platforms 1, 4 and 8 are through platforms, although 4 is usually used for terminating services from both the East and West, including the evening Hull-Huddersfield service.

Platform 2 is a bay platform which is used for services to and from Sheffield.

Platforms 6 and 7 are bay platforms used for services towards Leeds and Wakefield. There are issues with long services using these platforms.

Platforms 3 and 5 have been removed previously and haven't been reinstated.

There is a proposal to build a through platform 9, opposite platform 8.

Also, you might want to have a look at the population of Rugby and it's current service provision and compare that to Huddersfield.

Last edited by a moderator:

pemma

Veteran Member
Huddersfield has more trains to more places is that the point? If not what is?

Huddersfield has 13 departures per hour and Rugby has 10 departures per hour yet Rugby station serves a population of just over 40% of Huddersfield's.

34D has made numerous references to Huddersfield being a small town so it shouldn't get a 14th and 15th departure as it already has enough services. By the same logic Rugby shouldn't have more than 5 departures per hour.

Stats

For a 'small' town whenever I have been on a TPE service my flabber has been well and truly ghasted at the vast number of people that commute from Leeds to Huddersfield. It is always standing room only. I had not realised there were so many employment opportunities in Huddersfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.