• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North Wales Coast Line closed for immediate future

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
http://www.journeycheck.com/arrivatrainswales

Amended service in North Wales due to adverse weather

Due to track damage caused by adverse weather on Thursday 05th December, amended services will operate as shown below.

The Conwy valley route (between Blaenau Ffestiniog and Llandudno Junction) is closed and train services are suspended. The route is expected to remain closed until at least Thursday 12th December. Replacement road transport will operate.

The North Wales Coast route is closed between Chester and Rhyl and will remain closed until at least Saturday 07th December due to severe damage to the sea wall, however an hourly train service will operate between Rhyl and Holyhead in both directions
Replacement road transport will operate between Chester and Rhyl calling at all stations.

Customers for Deganwy and Llandudno should change at Llandudno Junction where a half hourly shuttle train service will operate.

The sea wall has been damaged and so there are no trains between Chester and Rhyl. Does anyone have more information on this?

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
The Talacre-Bagillt section of the NW coast was badly affected by today's flooding, and the railway hugs the coast between those two points.

I gather the problem is with boulders washed on to the track, and causing quite a bit of damage.

Interestingly, the Virgin website says no trains until Monday the 9th at the earliest.

leedslad82

zgU4i1GbRS

https://pic.twitter.com/zgU4i1GbRS
Here is a pic I seen of damage on twitter . Hope I added it properly.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
https://pic.twitter.com/zgU4i1GbRS
Here is a pic I seen of damage on twitter . Hope I added it properly.

What's amazing is that this is normally a completely benign stretch, alongside the Dee estuary rather than the open sea.
Sheep are normally grazing on the other side of the sea wall.
There are local pictures of Flint castle surrounded by a moat - usually dry!
I assume TSS Duke of Lancaster survived for another few decades of rusting away on the shore near Mostyn.

Last edited:

jones_bangor

What's amazing is that this is normally a completely benign stretch, alongside the Dee estuary rather than the open sea.
Sheep are normally grazing on the other side of the sea wall.
There are local pictures of Flint castle surrounded by a moat - usually dry!
I assume TSS Duke of Lancaster survived for another few decades of rusting away on the shore near Mostyn.

The stretch between Talacre and Mostyn is pretty exposed - similar damage occurred in the 1980s.

Eagle

Established Member
The Conwy Valley line is also closed, this time until (estimated) December 16.

And of course the Cambrian Coast line still hasn't reopened.

It really does suck to be a railway in North Wales at the moment.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Any idea of what the highlighting for most of the Abergele & Pensarn, and some of the other calls at Colwyn Bay, Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr and Conwy are supposed to represent?

Trains do not normally call there at this time in the regular timetable, so are highlighted to draw attention to the different times.

SIGGY56

The stretch between Talacre and Mostyn is pretty exposed - similar damage occurred in the 1980s.

Yes, pretty exposed - part of the wall at Mostyn was rebuilt in 1990 following the severe flooding (same time as the floods at Towyn).

The Conwy Valley line has 3 ballast washouts between 2 and 3 mp (Glan Conwy - Tal-y-Cafn) at the moment and ballast is expected to arrive by road from Penmaenmawr and loaded on trailers attach to a road railer

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Not looking too good, looks like middle of next week at the soonest before Rhyl Chester is open again.

Yet again Nat Rails website for Rhyl shows some trains to Chester delayed, not cancelled, confusing for passengers. see Manchester & Birmingham times
Why not put up all trains cancelled.

Manchester Piccadilly 0703 Cancelled Arriva Trains Wales

Holyhead
now terminates at Chester 0716 Cancelled Virgin Trains

Llandudno
now terminates at Chester 0729 Cancelled Arriva Trains Wales

Cardiff Central via Shrewsbury 0741 Cancelled Arriva Trains Wales

London Euston 0755 Cancelled Virgin Trains

Holyhead 0758 Starts here Arriva Trains Wales

Holyhead
now terminates at Chester 0758 Cancelled Arriva Trains Wales

Manchester Piccadilly 0813 On time Arriva Trains Wales

Llandudno
now terminates at Chester 0829 Cancelled Arriva Trains Wales

Birmingham International 0841 On time Arriva Trains Wales

Last edited:

SprinterMan

Established Member
This has rather ruined a journey I have booked for monday. I am travelling from Bangor to Leamington Spa, and got myself an unbelievably cheap XC First Class ticket from Manchester to Leamington. I had also booked an Arriva advance to Manchester. The original plan was:

1G31 0715 Holyhead to Birmingham International from Bangor to Crewe
2H29 0950 Crewe to Manchester Piccadilly
and then
1O16 1127 Manchester Piccadilly to Bournemouth to Leamington Spa.

I can't get to Bangor station any earlier than 0800, which mean I don't get to Chester until 1015 under the emergency timetable, which means I can't get to Manchester (or even Stockport, for that matter) in time for my XC train. What do I do? :(

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This has rather ruined a journey I have booked for monday. I am travelling from Bangor to Leamington Spa, and got myself an unbelievably cheap XC First Class ticket from Manchester to Leamington. I had also booked an Arriva advance to Manchester. The original plan was:

1G31 0715 Holyhead to Birmingham International from Bangor to Crewe
2H29 0950 Crewe to Manchester Piccadilly
and then
1O16 1127 Manchester Piccadilly to Bournemouth to Leamington Spa.

I can't get to Bangor station any earlier than 0800, which mean I don't get to Chester until 1015 under the emergency timetable, which means I can't get to Manchester (or even Stockport, for that matter) in time for my XC train. What do I do? :(

Go Crewe-Stoke direct, and pick up XC there?
1035 VT Chester-Crewe, 1102 LM Crewe-Stoke.
Or you could just try ATW to Birmingham via Shrewsbury and pick up XC there.

Last edited:

SprinterMan

Established Member
Go Crewe-Stoke direct, and pick up XC there?
1035 VT Chester-Crewe, 1102 LM Crewe-Stoke.
Or you could just try ATW to Birmingham via Shrewsbury and pick up XC there.

I think I'm gonna have to do Stoke, but I'm not sure if the EMT or LM crew will accept my tickets.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think I'm gonna have to do Stoke, but I'm not sure if the EMT or LM crew will accept my tickets.

I would have thought the ATW crew would endorse an alternative route if you booked before the storm.
On the other hand your Bangor-Leamington route would not readily spring to mind!
Crewe-Stoke is about £6.50 SDS without railcard.

SprinterMan

Established Member
I would have thought the ATW crew would endorse an alternative route if you booked before the storm.
On the other hand your Bangor-Leamington route would not readily spring to mind!
Crewe-Stoke is about £6.50 SDS without railcard.

Yeah, I only booked that way because I got an XC 1st advance with railcard from MAN to LMS for £16.85! I may have to buy a new ticket from Crewe to Stoke though, I think you might be right there. Thanks very much :)

merlodlliw

Established Member
Out of interest as you work in the trade,who did you buy the ticket from,the Festiniog agency, if so contact them.
It is not your fault Network Rail closed the line for obvious reasons,all agencies have good relations with other providers,plus they have a duty of care.
PM me you want advice's. ATW wont bat an eyelid and the staff should endorse an alternate route on viewing your ticket.
Dont be put off with any rule book quoted in this instance.Leave it to the TOCs to be awkward to each other.
Bob

Last edited:

SprinterMan

Established Member
Out of interest as you work in the trade,who did you buy the ticket from,the Festiniog agency, if so contact them.
It is not your fault Network Rail closed the line for obvious reasons,all agencies have good relations with other providers,plus they have a duty of care.
PM me you want advice's. ATW wont bat an eyelid and the staff should endorse an alternate route on viewing your ticket.
Dont be put off with any rule book quoted in this instance.Leave it to the TOCs to be awkward to each other.
Bob

I only volunteer for them, and it has basically stopped for the winter. I bought my tickets on Greater Anglia's website, as it is the easiest to use IMO. Thanks very much for the advice :D everything should be fine :)

Does anyone know what units are "trapped" in North Wales? I know 150258 is but I'm not sure what else is. Is all fuelling and maintenance being done at Holyhead?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Be careful boarding late on an Advance ticket, although in this situation i imagine it will be fine.

merlodlliw

Established Member
I only volunteer for them, and it has basically stopped for the winter. I bought my tickets on Greater Anglia's website, as it is the easiest to use IMO. Thanks very much for the advice :D everything should be fine :)

Does anyone know what units are "trapped" in North Wales? I know 150258 is but I'm not sure what else is. Is all fuelling and maintenance being done at Holyhead?

If you have not left already,I work with volunteers and under employment regs,you are covered by the same employers liability as paid staff,so you do most certainly work in the trade.
Anyhow if you do meet a zealous inspector etc do not part with money,best of luck.
No idea whats trapped,but the 150s used on the Conwy Valley line are spare,VT have a dept at Holyhead,so a quid pro Que is available. All VT trains will be away I imagine.

Welshman

Established Member
There's at least one Virgin Voyager trapped between Rhyl and Holyhead, and that's been shuttling back and forth over the weekend.

As a result, some Chester-Euston services which are usually double sets, have been just singles.

Sometimes, stock awaiting its return to Holyhead has been stabled on the through road in Rhyl station.

According to the ATW website, the line will remain closed until at least tomorrow, 10th December. Does anyone know what progress is being made on repairing the breaches to the sea wall and clearing the tracks?

It will be a major job, as I gather the wall was breached in six places.

cymro inside

there are two voyagers at Holyhead and at least two 158s and a three car 175,2 150s one for Llandudno service shuttle and the other is trapped at North LLanrwst until further notice,
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
coast on course to re open tomorrow morning at 0400 journey times extended by 3 mins as there will be a 20 mph speed restriction for half a mile at Mostyn.work on the Blaenau branch will take longer and the branch will be closed for about a week.

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
coast on course to re open tomorrow morning at 0400 journey times extended by 3 mins as there will be a 20 mph speed restriction for half a mile at Mostyn.work on the Blaenau branch will take longer and the branch will be closed for about a week.

Thank you for that information.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
there are two voyagers at Holyhead and at least two 158s and a three car 175,2 150s one for Llandudno service shuttle and the other is trapped at North LLanrwst until further notice,
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Pleased to see that the line will be re-opening so quickly, have just returned home after a night in Wolverhampton and I could see from the coach that work was being done at Mostyn, where a large breach in the sea wall was visible.
Incidentally, yesterday a coach ran non-stop from Rhyl to Chester, which enabled me to reach Wolverhampton a little earlier than expected, today it was 'all stations'...eventually reached Bangor about 1hr20 later than usual...all in all not too bad!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The storms were worse than 1953 - but with much less loss of life (and less damage to the railways overall..) - not news of course !

In 1953 - the Irish Mail route would have received great priority - but the 6 or so breaches have been dealt with pretty well by the sound of it. North Wales seems to have had a few issues this last month or so..

Welshman

Established Member
Yes, indeed.

If the line is re-opened tomorrow, then many congratulations to Network Rail and all others who have been working so well.

6Gman

Established Member
Incidentally, yesterday a coach ran non-stop from Rhyl to Chester, which enabled me to reach Wolverhampton a little earlier than expected, today it was 'all stations'...eventually reached Bangor about 1hr20 later than usual...all in all not too bad!

At least one 'first stop Rhyl' ran from Chester this afternoon.

Have to say that watching arrangements at Chester I wasn't too impressed. Passengers waiting in the open (no seating) for 15+ minutes before a coach would draw up, having been parked 50yds away for the previous half hour. I know there might be issues like drivers' breaks, but it would be nice if people could board the coach straight away.

Quality of vehicles was generally pretty good - but included a 31 year old Leyland National bus!

Status
Not open for further replies.