• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran1990

are they being moved by rail or low loader from Bristol? And where are they heading?
Longsite or Newton Heath?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
are they being moved by rail or low loader from Bristol? And where are they heading?
Longsite or Newton Heath?
Supposedly they are being dragged according to an earlier post. It'll be to Newton Heath, the 195s will have nothing to do with longsight, only the TPE CAF units will be based there (under a maintenance agreement with alstom)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Edge Hill

Hmm. Not exactly clear what question this was the answer to.
I thought Longsight/Edge Hill (Alstom) was where the TPE 397s were going?
There has been plenty of work at Allerton to develop the depot for new Northern stock (presumably 331s).
Has anything been done at Newton Heath?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It's probably going to Edge Hill because it is an Alstom depot, just as Manchester International Depot where the Mk 5a's have gone is.

The unit is reportedly being moved by road.

driver_m

Established Member
There's changes at Edge Hill (I posted a thread elsewhere about alstom cutting jobs) and CAF are making more use of the depot.

Nean

Could be moved from there to Allerton.

Well an end carriage literally just passed my house on a low loader (unfortunately too fast to get a picture- 30 seconds earlier and I'd have missed it completely!) so it's probably going to Allerton, M62 would likely be the route if it was being railed at Edge Hill.

paddyb6

Well an end carriage literally just passed my house on a low loader (unfortunately too fast to get a picture- 30 seconds earlier and I'd have missed it completely!) so it's probably going to Allerton, M62 would likely be the route if it was being railed at Edge Hill.
So is it being sent by road

jizzer

As has been stated. It is going to Edge Hill. Not Allerton, Newton Heath, or Longsight. Edge Hill !!!!!

driver_m

Established Member
As has been stated. It is going to Edge Hill. Not Allerton, Newton Heath, or Longsight. Edge Hill !!!!!

I was wondering whether I was speaking a foreign language before. I’m glad this confirms I wasn’t! After all, the bit where I said CAF are making use of Edge Hill seems to be easy to grasp, no?

Especially when it's sat on the shed.

Last edited:

childwallblues

Established Member
I was wondering whether I was speaking a foreign language before. I’m glad this confirms I wasn’t! After all, the bit where I said CAF are making use of Edge Hill seems to be easy to grasp, no?

Are CAF using the depot to commission the units?

notlob.divad

Established Member

Are CAF using the depot to commission the units?

It was my understanding CAF and/or TPE had an agreement with Alstom for maintenance operations on the TPE units, but that Northern are going to do their maintenance in house.

So have plans changed somewhat. Are Alstom going to be doing the maintenance on them all? Or is this another sign of CAF's growing presence in the UK and they are going to gradually take over the Edge Hill depot with the Pendolinos displaced to Alstoms new Ditton facility?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The initial 195 will be under CAF control until there is certification by NR/ORR and then acceptance by Northern.
They can do what they like with it until then.
CAF has close links with Alstom on a number of projects in Spain and elsewhere.

SansHache

It was my understanding CAF and/or TPE had an agreement with Alstom for maintenance operations on the TPE units, but that Northern are going to do their maintenance in house.

So have plans changed somewhat. Are Alstom going to be doing the maintenance on them all? Or is this another sign of CAF's growing presence in the UK and they are going to gradually take over the Edge Hill depot with the Pendolinos displaced to Alstoms new Ditton facility?

The main reason Edge Hill was chosen as the site for road delivery is the facility for unloading vehicles from trailers to rail. This was constructed for the Pendolino extension project back in 2011 but was never used as the new vehicles were eventually shipped from Italy through the Channel Tunnel. There are no plans to maintain the CAF Northern units at Edge Hill.

The Alstom facility at Widnes is not suitable as a maintenance facility in its present configuration. There is only one road that can accommodate a Pendolino (9-car or 11-car) and there are no maintenance pits or overhead line within the shed. The present arrangement is customised for the repaint project which continues until the end of 2019. Rail access to the facility (via Ditton sidings) also precludes its use for frequent movements.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Currently heading back to Warrington as 5Z04 1109 from Carnforth; it's just approaching Lancaster as I type this.

The_Engineer

Is it going to be out on Saturday (Tomorrow)
There's nothing on RTT for it tomorrow, today's working was a Wednesday to Friday timing for this week only. I did note there's a path booked for MK.5 testing tomorrow, though...….

Erniescooper

There's nothing on RTT for it tomorrow, today's working was a Wednesday to Friday timing for this week only. I did note there's a path booked for MK.5 testing tomorrow, though...….
No Mk5 testing tomorrow but should be going to Stafford Sunday night

js1000

Surely the first 195s will work the Northern Connect services from Manchester Airport? Namely Liverpool via Warrington Central and the Barrow via Preston? The 75mph 156s with end doors are really not up to the job for those Airport services on what has become a very congested line.

Now skip-stopping is in operation on the line to Manchester Airport, a 100mph train for the 10/15 minute "sprint" between some of the intermediate stops on the line will allow the woeful punctuality to improve and give TPE a better chance of actually getting to the airport - far too many of them terminate at Piccadilly. Plus 2 wide middle doors vs 2 end doors should reduce dwell times at Piccadilly 13 & 14.

Nomad8459

I take it the maintenance depot at newton heath to house the 195s isn`t ready or not built, are they for storage at edge hill until it is?

I read in a civil engineer publication that Stobart rail are to build a new depot extension at Newton Heath soon

That CAF unit does look good though - no?

Adsy125

I read in a civil engineer publication that Stobart rail are to build a new depot extension at Newton Heath soon

That CAF unit does look good though - no?
I can't be the only one who thinks the front looks awful can I?

Status
Not open for further replies.