• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nomad8459

It screams tram to me, doesn't look in anyway substantial.

They are replacing literal bus shells though, they kind of look like a "cute" pacer for the future to me - initially i didn't like the design much but in the flesh, they look pretty great

Darandio

Established Member
They are replacing literal bus shells though, they kind of look like a "cute" pacer for the future to me - initially i didn't like the design much but in the flesh, they look pretty great

They won't be replacing anything here! They are by no means ugly. I look forward to them being our next lot of cast offs in 2043. :lol:

scrapy

Established Member
Surely the first 195s will work the Northern Connect services from Manchester Airport? Namely Liverpool via Warrington Central and the Barrow via Preston? The 75mph 156s with end doors are really not up to the job for those Airport services on what has become a very congested line.

Now skip-stopping is in operation on the line to Manchester Airport, a 100mph train for the 10/15 minute "sprint" between some of the intermediate stops on the line will allow the woeful punctuality to improve and give TPE a better chance of actually getting to the airport - far too many of them terminate at Piccadilly. Plus 2 wide middle doors vs 2 end doors should reduce dwell times at Piccadilly 13 & 14.
Liverpool to Manchester Airport via Warrington should be the first route to see 195s in regular passenger services as Lime St crews will be 1st to train on them.

Nomad8459

Liverpool to Manchester Airport via Warrington should be the first route to see 195s in regular passenger services as Lime St crews will be 1st to train on them.
Whoop! Haha.. I'd heard Leeds was nabbing them.. the Turbostars look good over in Leeds...

samuelmorris

Established Member
No, you aren't. It should have a gangway end in the middle. As should all multiple unit trains.
Only if they're actually going to get used. Several cases of them being fitted but never used due to safety paperwork / changeover time restrictions, that I think they make pretty much any unit they're fitted to look ugly is a matter of personal opinion but at 90mph+ they have a real impact on drag which will hit performance and fuel/energy consumption. They also give the driver a much smaller visible area to work with, and that can occasionally have its own knock-on issues (see 385s). I think on balance I'm glad they don't have them.

js1000

Whoop! Haha.. I'd heard Leeds was nabbing them.. the Turbostars look good over in Leeds...
The 195s were to operate the new direct service between Leeds and Chester however that's shelved now as the timetables won't change in December.

Even if it did I would imagine the 195s would replace the 156s on Manchester Airport services first and Northern would source existing stock to operate that new route until May.

TPE are still regularly struggling to get to the Airport and having to spit passengers out at Piccadilly. The 195s will help greatly by giving a good 3-4 minutes of "padding" between Oxford Road & the Airport thanks to increased speed and double leaf doors at thirds which the 156s don't possess.

craigybagel

Established Member
TPE are still regularly struggling to get to the Airport and having to spit passengers out at Piccadilly. The 195s will help greatly by giving a good 3-4 minutes of "padding" between Oxford Road & the Airport thanks to increased speed and double leaf doors at thirds which the 156s don't possess.

Double leaf doors may help yes - but these units aren't going to be a whole lot quicker going up to the airport then at present as the speed limit for the Styal line is only 75 anyway.

Kneedown

Established Member
Only if they're actually going to get used. Several cases of them being fitted but never used due to safety paperwork / changeover time restrictions, that I think they make pretty much any unit they're fitted to look ugly is a matter of personal opinion but at 90mph+ they have a real impact on drag which will hit performance and fuel/energy consumption. They also give the driver a much smaller visible area to work with, and that can occasionally have its own knock-on issues (see 385s). I think on balance I'm glad they don't have them.

My sentiments exactly. I'd do away with em all.

Philip

On Moderation
Are 195s down to take over the remaining 185 diagrams operating in the North West in December?

I take it they will be route cleared via Bolton and Chorley should electrification not be finished by then and the Barrow services continue to run that way post-December?

Established Member
By better I mean more suitable. What are ironing boards & a bus gearbox doing on a long distance train?

With respect, I don't understand why you're picking faults with the first brand new trains the Northern franchise has ever received.

cf111

Established Member
I like the look of them, although somewhat Pacer 2.0" as was said up-thread.

TRAX

Established Member
Surely Pacer Mk2 would be a name better suited to the Class 230s ?

Status
Not open for further replies.