• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Goodbyeeeee...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Do some background reading - plus not many diesels down south

But everything will get a new coat of paint which what many on here care about

Arriva have done more than given the trains a new coat of paint/how about demus/electrics - Do some background reading yer' self[/QUOTE]

don't be so silly.

On day one of the Arriva franchise you will still be trundling about on a pacer. You do know that don't you?

Why not learn about how the franchises are let and their terms and conditions before making silly, childish posts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
No cascaded stock !!, they were not totally restricted.

The 319's weren't available until last year and before last year there was no overhead wires to run them!

Are you just some kind of troll?

Bright Boy

One day the penny will drop that a new franchise rarely makes things better these days.

Here's a few that in my mind have made things better:- First Scotrail, Arriva Wales, TPX, SWT. I can't say about the south east TOC's as I have less knowledge about them.

Clip

Established Member
But If not I'd just like to start a Poll to see if (or how many) there are on here who is thankful that Northern Rail are departing the railway scene:D

Where is the poll?

Northern done the best they could and whilst I dont agree with the £80 thingy they do they could only work with what they were given. So..

Monty

Established Member
No cascaded stock !!, they were not totally restricted.

Are you really that dense? Many knowledgeable members here have tried to explain to you the restrictions that the out going franchise was subject to. Yet you continue to selectively quote what people have written and ignore everything else.

If Northern were not restricted when it came to rolling stock procurement what stock could they have gotten hold of then and from where?

Bright Boy

The 319's weren't available until last year and before last year there was no overhead wires to run them!

Are you just some kind of troll?

Ah Ah, I wondered how long it would take for some idiot to resort to name calling!

Overhead wires Manchester Piccadilly - Crewe/Stoke/Glossop however they already had trains for them, which apparently are going to be taken away soon

darloscott

I'm looking forward to seeing what Arriva can do with the franchise but it's not a level playing field so Serco/Abellio have done a grand job with the restrictions they've had.

Bright Boy

Are you really that dense? Many knowledgeable members here have tried to explain to you the restrictions that the out going franchise was subject to. Yet you continue to selectively quote what people have written and ignore everything else.

If Northern were not restricted when it came to rolling stock procurement what stock could they have gotten hold of then and from where?

Another weak minded person who has to resort to name calling:roll:
Do you live in the north now ?, do you travel on Northern Rail regularly, try responding when you have a little "coal -face" experience and try responding without the insults, everyone has there own opinion, try to remember that

Kingsbury Jn.

No new trains, waited until 1 year before franchise renewal to lease more 2nd hand trains, on a personal note, staff have tried to charge me more than the fare advertised at least 3 times, the fares I have had have varied at least 3 times when getting exactly the same trains week in week out, (not a price change) and have been rather rude to me several times, one even laughed about when they were getting the Peak hours prices put in, because it meant in Manchester we could rarely use the GM subsidised tickets:roll:

I hope that you realise that the same staff (mostly) will be still there on day 1 of the new franchise.

najaB

Veteran Member
Yeah:- better managed, more of an idea about how to maximise their potential by responding to passengers needs, go forward attitude, forward thinking, do you want me to go on.....
In the case of Scotrail, they aren't run by the DfT.

Monty

Established Member
Another weak minded person who has to resort to name calling:roll:
Do you live in the north now ?, do you travel on Northern Rail regularly, try responding when you have a little "coal -face" experience and try responding without the insults, everyone has there own opinion, try to remember that

Time to take that 10 ton chip off your shoulder and wind your neck right in. As for someone who likes to throw the naming calling card you are doing a pretty good job of that yourself. While I don't live in the 'north' I have family in Stockport and visit often. I am well aware of the short comings of local rail travel in some parts of the country and in this case the blame lays squarely at the DfT. The current team in place at Northern have done the best with what they had.

Bright Boy

I'm looking forward to seeing what Arriva can do with the franchise but it's not a level playing field so Serco/Abellio have done a grand job with the restrictions they've had.

Same here, and I do agree that the terms of the new franchise are better than what Serco/Abellio got, I just think that what they did with what they had was not good enough.

I just hope that Arriva does not go down the same route, just because they have done well with the Wales franchise does not mean they will do the same with Northern, we can only hope they deliver what they promise.

455driver

Veteran Member
I am sure the new trains will all arrive on the second day of Arriva taking over and they will all be in service on the third day, all the grumpy staff will be sacked to be replaced by ever cheerful types who always give the passenger's the benefit of the doubt, and all of Northern problems will be a distant memory by week two.

On the other hand it will be the same old Sh-t in a different wrapper (or more likely the same wrapper) for the first year or two until some cascades take effect.

Personally I think Northern have done a damn good job with the hand they were dealt.

Bright Boy

Time to take that 10 ton chip off your shoulder and wind you neck in. As for someone who likes to throw the naming calling card you are doing a pretty good job of that yourself. While I don't live in the 'north' I have family in Stockport and visit often. I am well aware of the short comings of local rail travel in some parts of the country and in this case the blame lays squarely at the DfT. The current team in place at Northern have done the best with what they had.

At least I can take it off, yours must be attached permanently, maybe it can be removed surgically<D

We have a saying up here, maybe if you have family in Stockport you have heard of it? You can give it but you can't take it !

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yeah:- better managed, more of an idea about how to maximise their potential by responding to passengers needs, go forward attitude, forward thinking, do you want me to go on.....

yes, because so far you are simply showing how utterly clueless you are.

Cundy66

With being a Yorkshireman, I only remember Northern I don't remember the franchise before.

As for Northern, I was thankful for everything they as a franchise did for me to get me to my destination. I am however glad that there is a change and maybe a splash of new colour to the lines. That was one thing that I didn't like after a while horrid shade of purple up and down the line.

Bright Boy

I hope that you realise that the same staff (mostly) will be still there on day 1 of the new franchise.

Yes I do realise that, I am not that thick, just a little.

But hopefully they will have better training. I have always found with places I have been employed myself is that the staff attitudes usually reflect the managements skills, the poorer the management the worse the staff. I also know that things will not change overnight, it will take time for it all to change for the better, not just the livery.

Monty

Established Member
P

Cool story bro.

But as for me I have no chip on my shoulder (other than my insane jealousy that the north got the Pacer instead of the SW division of the southern region ;)). And don't worry about me I can take as good as I give.

Anyway you have still failed to acknowledge a lot of what people have tried to explain to you for one reason another, and until you do that there is no way you will be able to have a balanced discussion on the subject.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
With all of the wibble about how fantastic Arriva are potentially going to be, can someone please remind me who had the franchise before Northern......

Bright Boy

I am sure the new trains will all arrive on the second day of Arriva taking over and they will all be in service on the third day, all the grumpy staff will be sacked to be replaced by ever cheerful types who always give the passenger's the benefit of the doubt, and all of Northern problems will be a distant memory by week two.

On the other hand it will be the same old Sh-t in a different wrapper (or more likely the same wrapper) for the first year or two until some cascades take effect.

Personally I think Northern have done a damn good job with the hand they were dealt.

I know that will not happen, like I said earlier it will take time, like you state maybe a year or two, maybe longer.

Just a Historical note, when Northern took over the North West Trains I was unhappy and worried that north west trains would suffer as from my point of view I thought Northern were poor when they just had Yorkshire & the North East.

But I don't have that feeling about Arriva.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
one more go before I go an bang my head on the wall:

Go and look up the terms and conditions of the Northern franchise. Here is a hint: "no growth" then look at how franchises are let

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Enough.

This topic has been done to death before and there's no need to carry on with it. A reminder to all that the Forum Rules clearly state that:

Respectful
  • We aim to create a friendly environment for all members, where individuals respect each other. Please ensure your contributions comply with this.

Anyone is welcome to disagree with anyone else about anything they like but such disagreements should always keep the above in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.