• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Trainee Driver vacancy Mcr Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rorybreaker

Well I've emailed too see what's going on as passed the online assesment ages ago and their policy is to let you know either way!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silv1983

Hey folks and fellow applicants.

I received an invite today for an interview for this vacancy. 23rd of August. Things are starting to move. Best of luck to everyone else waiting for news,

Silv

JT

I just completed my visual test too. Answered 46 / 150. Got two wrong, and i knew it the moment i clicked the wrong answer!
I was trying to get a good score, as well as answer them all right.
Has anyone ever answered over 70?
I recon i could if the warm up questions where 5 mins. :D
I hope 46 is enough! :o

Sunday_mornin

I just completed my visual test too. Answered 46 / 150. Got two wrong, and i knew it the moment i clicked the wrong answer!
I was trying to get a good score, as well as answer them all right.
Has anyone ever answered over 70?
I recon i could if the warm up questions where 5 mins. :D
I hope 46 is enough! :o

Hi mate, which depot have you applied for?

46 with 2 wrong, hmmm it's going to be a close.

I've heard of 70 being possible, especially on the right equipment. I did mine on the laptop using the finger pad instead of a mouse and that was infuriatingly slow. Once I had started the test I instantly regretted using the laptop, the iPad would have been so much quicker.
Casting my mind back I think I did 48 but with no errors and I got through.

Fingers crossed!

Silv1983

Hmmm yes touch and go with 46 and 2 wrong. It's anyone's guess.
Like Sunday I made the mistake of using a laptop with a slow touchpad (big mistake) - still got through with 50.

Sunday - are you still in the system? Did you say you had an interview for Vicc the same morning as me on another thread?

Sunday_mornin

Hmmm yes touch and go with 46 and 2 wrong. It's anyone's guess.
Like Sunday I made the mistake of using a laptop with a slow touchpad (big mistake) - still got through with 50.

Sunday - are you still in the system? Did you say you had an interview for Vicc the same morning as me on another thread?

Hey Silv,

Yeah mate, I attended the interview first thing on Monday morning, first up I think. Nervously watching my inbox once again, should know by the end of this week as you probably know.

I think my interview went okay, wasn't perfect by any means but I feel I got the fundamentals covered, praying for the invite to assessment email now.

How did you feel yours went? Are you aware which depot the interview was for or are you still under the assumption that it could be either Picc or Vic.

Also I'm really curious which Northern depot JT has just completed a visual test for. Considering he/she lives on the Wirral I'm assuming it's for Lime St which I thought was pretty much done and dusted by now.

Ian.

Last edited:

JT

Hi mate, which depot have you applied for?

46 with 2 wrong, hmmm it's going to be a close.

I've heard of 70 being possible, especially on the right equipment. I did mine on the laptop using the finger pad instead of a mouse and that was infuriatingly slow. Once I had started the test I instantly regretted using the laptop, the iPad would have been so much quicker.
Casting my mind back I think I did 48 but with no errors and I got through.

Fingers crossed!

I was going for Pic, but then a Lime St came up which is closer to home for me. I used a laptop with a mouse, fast enough, it just took me 5mins to get into my stride! lol.
We're off on a three week road trip around the south, I just hope if i get an interview, it's not while we're away!

Silv1983

Sunday - I feel good about the interview. No long pauses nor did any question leave me stumped or trip me up. Luckily with my current job I have a lot of good examples for the core questions. But then that's a subjective view ha! Without knowing the calibre of every other candidate i'm not going to hazard a guess at my success or not.
The interviewers told me that successful candidates would be going to Victoria as thats where the shortage of drivers is. Until then I was still under the impression it was Picc primarily with Victoria as a maybe. It's a good hub though - some good routes. Maybe even better than Picc.

Sunday_mornin

Only one question had me and that was describe a situation where I have had to help an elderly or disabled person, I went on to give a generic answer and explained that I've simply not been in that situation. Other than that I feel happy with the answers I gave, I have relevant experience and qualifications in engineering and the last 8 yrs as a Class 1 HGV Driver. Plus I understand interviews can almost be a personality contest and feel confident that I came across well.
But like you say, you can't comment as I'm aware that all the other applicants are probably just as able as I am to do the job effectively.
Did you get any idea on numbers at your interview? I did ask regards the course and they have two courses starting in Sept and Oct respectively.

Silv1983

The number 4 was brandished if I recall. 400 applicants - whittled down to 20 interviewees - for 4 places. Maybe it's 8 including september... hopefully it's 8. I was told October start date at the Bolton offices if I was successful.

Beveridges

Established Member
S Until then I was still under the impression it was Picc primarily with Victoria as a maybe. It's a good hub though - some good routes. Maybe even better than Picc.

Yes, Man Vic is a far better place to go as a Driver than Man Picc by miles, as I found out when I looked into it a year ago when I considered moving back to Manchester as a Mainline Driver. Man Vic has much better diagrams, the roster is much better and your more likely to get a lot more variety in route knowledge at Man Vic.

Silv1983

Hey fellow Northern rail wannabes! Just had some good news from HR at Northern Rail: they've offered me the position of trainee train driver at Manchester Victoria to begin training 8th October. Got to pull a few strings at work to get out in less than a month but its looking good! If there's anyone still plugging through the recruitment at any stage and you want some advice give me a PM. And looking forward to working with those of you already at Vic!

Silv

Mal1234

[/iwell done silv! I have been invited to liverpool lime street next week for an interview-just wondering if you could offer some advise on what to expect?

Sunday_mornin

Well done Silv, awesome result!

Mal, it's criterion based interview, there won't be many traditional type questions like Why do you want to be a train driver?

They will want to test your knowledge on Northern and also examples of certain experiences you have had, times you have given good customer service, dealt with a problem etc.

It's quite relaxed and friendly but make sure you look smart, confident and be friendly.

Ian

red

Hey fellow Northern rail wannabes! Just had some good news from HR at Northern Rail: they've offered me the position of trainee train driver at Manchester Victoria to begin training 8th October. Got to pull a few strings at work to get out in less than a month but its looking good! If there's anyone still plugging through the recruitment at any stage and you want some advice give me a PM. And looking forward to working with those of you already at Vic!

Silv

Hi Silv. I'm the other fella that was with you on the assesment day this week. I also go the phone call today and am due to start 8 October.

Guess I'll see you there pal. Drop us a PM if you like

Cannot wait to start!

Mal1234

Well done Silv, awesome result!

Mal, it's criterion based interview, there won't be many traditional type questions like Why do you want to be a train driver?

They will want to test your knowledge on Northern and also examples of certain experiences you have had, times you have given good customer service, dealt with a problem etc.

It's quite relaxed and friendly but make sure you look smart, confident and be friendly.

Ian

Cheers Ian, I appreciate your help! Did they ask you about the challenges a driver may face, or dealing with stress, pressure? How long was your interview?

Sunday_mornin

It'll last around an hour or so, depending on how many they have to get through that day. I'm trying to remember specific questions for you, how would you deal with a difficult customer or words to that effect, when have you had to assist a disadvantaged individual (disabled etc). I'm struggling to remember I'm afraid but I'm sure you can imagine the rest, usually stuff specific to the qualities you will need to show as a train driver.

Neil73

Hats off to you Silv.., you give the rest of us hope and determination. Serious congratulations though to have made it through the hundreds of other applications. You must feel very proud of yourself this morning, well done :D

Mal1234

It'll last around an hour or so, depending on how many they have to get through that day. I'm trying to remember specific questions for you, how would you deal with a difficult customer or words to that effect, when have you had to assist a disadvantaged individual (disabled etc). I'm struggling to remember I'm afraid but I'm sure you can imagine the rest, usually stuff specific to the qualities you will need to show as a train driver.

Thanks for the information Sunday Mornin - appreciate your response.
I am aware of most of the questions likely to come up, and hopefully I will be able to answer appropriately - looks like i will have a busy weekend preparing!
Will let you all know how I get on!

Cheers

red

Silv
Hi Silv

I was the fella doing the reactions test with you at the assessment day. I have also been successful and am due to start on the 8th. See you there!

Drop me a PM if you like.

Silv1983

Hats off to you Silv.., you give the rest of us hope and determination. Serious congratulations though to have made it through the hundreds of other applications. You must feel very proud of yourself this morning, well done :D

Thanks mate - I do feel good to have cleared the final hurdle.

Funny thing about all of this is that I failed with my FTPE application at the paper-sift stage haha. I guess they want train drivers who use American spelling. :D

Beveridges

Established Member
Still Man Vic with Northern isnt bad at all, more variety than TPE with all the old traction and all those routes, not much difference in pay, and the diagrams at Man Vic are (generally) good from what I've seen, nowhere near as intense as Picc which is what you would have originally got. Also you get some class 1 express work at Man Vic which is good for Northern as at some other depots all you get is class 2 stoppers on routes where you stop at a station every 2-5 minutes.

orange123

Hi all,

I attended the assessment on Wednesday last week, I passed but have not heard anything yet. Has there been any mention of a medical?

Lanc688

Funny thing about all of this is that I failed with my FTPE application at the paper-sift stage haha. I guess they want train drivers who use American spelling. :D

Silv....

Firstly my absolute congratulations....secondly would you please post something on the 3000 FTPE thread regarding your success.

My point is, that you are indeed living proof that sometimes a missed opportunity with one TOC means absolutely diddly squat if you have the determination and indeed the right quals and skills.

I'm still in the game with FTPE, but there are many who are dissolusioned as I am sure you can understand.

Please let them know your story and I am sure that you will strengthen the resolve of those who have suffered some dissapointment with another TOC.

Good luck with the training fella !

Regards
Lanc

Last edited:

Sunday_mornin

Silv....

Firstly my absolute congratulations....secondly would you please post something on the 3000 FTPE thread regarding your success.

My point is, that you are indeed living proof that sometimes a missed opportunity with one TOC means absolutely diddly squat if you have the determination and indeed the right quals and skills.

I'm still in the game with FTPE, but there are many who are dissolusioned as I am sure you can understand.

Please let them know your story and I am sure that you will strengthen the resolve of those who have suffered some dissapointment with another TOC.

Good luck with the training fella !

Regards
Lanc

Agreed, positive stories are too few on here and it is good too read of someones success.

dugster70

Hi Silv,

Firstly congratulations on your success, although I know what you mean by having 'cleared the final hurdle' you haven't actually left the starting blocks yet. You have got some serious hard work ahead of you starting with 16 weeks in the classroom and on depot learning the rule book, PTS, core traction specific to your TOC and company specific regulations including contingency plans. On top of that you are constantly assessed by your trainers and driver managers throughout ensuring that you are fully competent in all areas. Once you have got through that you go onto traction conversion training learning all the different units that your TOC operates - followed by more testing. After that you will only be let loose with your minder after you have successfully proved that you can drive a train for about an hour (a sort of mini driving test). Then its over 250 hours of driving including nights followed by your final competency assessment - which is usually a '2 strikes and your out' agenda. I've heard about a driver who failed at this stage because he attempted to get out of his cab to use an SPT at a signal at danger which had limited clearance with no protection from adjacent lines. (White diamond with black St Andrews cross). Once you have passed your final competency assessment you will then need to complete two years of incident free driving. Only then you will then be classed as a fully qualified driver.

Just letting you know whats ahead of you, once again congratulations

Silv1983

Hi Silv,

Firstly congratulations on your success, although I know what you mean by having 'cleared the final hurdle' you haven't actually left the starting blocks yet. You have got some serious hard work ahead of you starting with 16 weeks in the classroom and on depot learning the rule book, PTS, core traction specific to your TOC and company specific regulations including contingency plans. On top of that you are constantly assessed by your trainers and driver managers throughout ensuring that you are fully competent in all areas. Once you have got through that you go onto traction conversion training learning all the different units that your TOC operates - followed by more testing. After that you will only be let loose with your minder after you have successfully proved that you can drive a train for about an hour (a sort of mini driving test). Then its over 250 hours of driving including nights followed by your final competency assessment - which is usually a '2 strikes and your out' agenda. I've heard about a driver who failed at this stage because he attempted to get out of his cab to use an SPT at a signal at danger which had limited clearance with no protection from adjacent lines. (White diamond with black St Andrews cross). Once you have passed your final competency assessment you will then need to complete two years of incident free driving. Only then you will then be classed as a fully qualified driver.

Just letting you know whats ahead of you, once again congratulations

Thanks Dugster,

I know I've got a long old slog ahead of me yet. I've crossed the last hurdle of this sprint (except medical) - but I know there's a marathon to run yet and I take nothing for granted. The assessment centre if fairly rigorous so no TOC should end up with a wally who thinks he's about to "play trains" straight away. I worked hard for 2 years from 2007 to 2009 being scrutinised at every conceivable level to become a Police Constable and i'm no stranger to hard work, rules, exams and having to sit in a classroom (for 5-6 months in the police) prior to getting hands on. I look forward to it though! For me part of the adventure of starting a new career is the hard work that goes in at the beginning. Thanks again for the advice and heads up.

Silv

dugster70

Thanks Dugster,

I know I've got a long old slog ahead of me yet. I've crossed the last hurdle of this sprint (except medical) - but I know there's a marathon to run yet and I take nothing for granted. The assessment centre if fairly rigorous so no TOC should end up with a wally who thinks he's about to "play trains" straight away. I worked hard for 2 years from 2007 to 2009 being scrutinised at every conceivable level to become a Police Constable and i'm no stranger to hard work, rules, exams and having to sit in a classroom (for 5-6 months in the police) prior to getting hands on. I look forward to it though! For me part of the adventure of starting a new career is the hard work that goes in at the beginning. Thanks again for the advice and heads up.

Silv

I never said you weren't up for the challenge, that was never in question, my advice is to never give less than 110 per cent and you will enjoy a very satisfying and rewarding career - what was wrong with the police anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.