• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail trainee driver - Wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

KT22

Hoping someone can help.......

I have just passed all the stages in relation to becoming a Northern trainee driver in Leeds (pending medical) :D

I am currently a serving Police officer on around £1900 per month. What monthly pay am I to expect during the first 12 months of training? Once qualified how will my wage change?

Sorry to get personal about money, I don't want to be rude or nosey, I need to be sure I can financially cope with my new career change. Thank you in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
Hoping someone can help.......

I have just passed all the stages in relation to becoming a Northern trainee driver in Leeds (pending medical) :D

I am currently a serving Police officer on around £1900 per month. What monthly pay am I to expect during the first 12 months of training? Once qualified how will my wage change?

Sorry to get personal about money, I don't want to be rude or nosey, I need to be sure I can financially cope with my new career change. Thank you in advance.

I cannot believe that a Police Officer would not do the research into this before applying!

KT22

Research = 20k per annum rising to 46k, wondering if someone could give me a monthly example once the usual deductions ie pension and the usual stoppages.

D3910

Congratulations on passing the tests etc.

When did you take your assessment centre and when did you find out the results? I had mine last week for Northern@Leeds and I havent heard how I got on yet!

Last edited:

tlionhart

I cannot believe that a Police Officer would not do the research into this before applying!

He is referring to a monthly taking? This can be difficult to work out. (Tax, N.I, pension, union, etc)
Take it the OP is looking for a ball park figure then an exact amount. Ideally a worst take home (depending on the Sunday's done, hours, etc)

Question to the OP;
You referring to the take home AFTER deductions?

Last edited:

yerman164

Research = 20k per annum rising to 46k, wondering if someone could give me a monthly example once the usual deductions ie pension and the usual stoppages.

Not sure about the monthly amount after deductions, but I believe the salary rises from the initial 20k to around 35k after 9-10 months training. There are then 1 or 2 more increases until the final qualified salary.

Have you been offered a place on a course and/or received a date for your medical?

I passed the interview in February and had already taken the assessments with another TOC; still waiting to hear anything further.

WCMLaddict

First rise is after 12 months or the pass out, whichever comes first.

Wouldn't know what's the monthly taking on that first step of trainee ladder especially as on the east it's a bit more then on the west, from what I remember.

KT22

Thanks everyone, I'm new to forums.

Sorry for any confusion.... I passed my first interview late Feb 2016, did my psychosomatic testing yesterday - passed all the tests, which came as a big relief! After the tests we had a second structured interview, felt it went well but not officially got the results. We were told we would find out in next 7 days.

So I am at this point talking hypothetically.... no firm job offer, even if I pass, I've still got a medical and then the wait for an official job offer.

I am now starting to realise this career change COULD become real hence my questions. ��
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
He is referring to a monthly taking? This can be difficult to work out. (Tax, N.I, pension, union, etc)
Take it the OP is looking for a ball park figure then an exact amount. Ideally a worst take home (depending on the Sunday's done, hours, etc)

Question to the OP;
You referring to the take home AFTER deductions?

:D Yes thats exactly what I was referring to :D

Last edited:

tlionhart

http://www.listentotaxman.com/

One of the best tax/deduction calculators out there I think.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Its pretty easy to work out to be honest.

The Internet always throws up suprises! Great site, I take my words back. Now I don't feel so bad for paying no attention in maths :D
Bookmarking that one.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Great site, Bookmarking that one.

I've used it for years. They are very quick to update when the budget comes out and usually have a beta version for the changes so you can see the actual changes to your wages each budget change.

http://www.i-resign.com/uk/home/

Another good one but I haven't used it for a while now :)

There are also plenty of Excel spreadsheets knocking about the internet somewhere but its basic maths and you can easily knock up a quick spreadsheet yourself. Well worth it when the pay deals are being argued over.

332 > 444

On 20k, average is £1350 approx and will they allow you to start with your pension contributions straight away?

scorchio

£1210 take home every four weeks, give or take a couple of pound for union dues/health shield etc. I'm currently on the training rate, three poo paydays left!!

beavercreek

I don't work for Northern but a few years ago I went through the training.
I was on 20k and didn't join ASLEF until I was doing my hours.
The pension was about £20 a week and given a few hours traveling time I brought home about £1200 to £1300 every Four weeks.

I'm not sure how other TOC's work but when I passed out at Ten months it was a significant rise to the mid 40k and One year after becoming a driver it was onto full driver salary.

If it's an issue then maybe get a interest free credit card on 0% for a year?
My personal opinion is don't let the trainee wage put you off if possible, it's a great job and you will be well looked after.

maccalad

If you are currently a cop, you will be taking a massive pay cut, with a view to being on better money in the coming 3 years.

I don't know your personal circumstances, but given the fall in salary, there is a possibility that you may be entitled to some support from the government - if you've paid in to help others, don't be ashamed or afraid of taking out when you need that support, especially knowing that given in the coming months, or years, you will be paying more in as your salary increases.

Brian88

I was looking at a trainee northern job a couple month back, that was advertised as 15k during training. So the £1200ish sounds about right

maccalad

I've worked it out that on the £19,913 start salary at Blackburn, you would come out with approx £1,285 (give or take a few quid) every 4 weeks.

Maybe any recent new joiners could advise?

Louby

I've worked it out that on the £19,913 start salary at Blackburn, you would come out with approx £1,285 (give or take a few quid) every 4 weeks.

After Union etc it's 1225 every 4 weeks,

At Northern in the west it is...

It's definitely not and if yours is you're on more than a regular trainee, if you're a driver then you're being underpaid and you need to look at your contract and get in touch with your rep!!

Beeks

Well if it helps my current job pays just over 19k a year and I come out with around £1,275 per calendar month

Louby

Man vic in Apr when I started
I have noticed on the last lot of jobs that the first pay jump is only 34 rather than 36

Status
Not open for further replies.