• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Trainee Drivers - Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnFM

I passed the tests, I'm in the pool, my scores "were" good enough. If that has changed and the scores are no longer good enough, just tell us, we can cope. It is underhanded, I'm not ignoring explanations, I'm living being sat in the pool and I previously put too much hope into getting the job. . .

Dishonest may seem like a strong word to you but I can assure you that it isn't to me. I put masses of effort into the application process and the assessments.

Your "scores" put you in the pool, nothing more.

Does it matter how much effort you put in? You are, basically, saying that the company owes you something because you tried. Many other people also put effort in too.

You would not go storming into a place of work expecting a job simply because you made the sift, so why do you thnik you're owed here?

The simple fact is as per the explanation that I posted earlier - some folk were found to be better so the company, obviously, used them first.

That is what a talent pool is; a bucket full of folk that they can choose employees from if, and when, required. Emptying the bucket is not really an option so you continue to fill the bucket so you can choose the best people for the next role. You were not chosen. Does that not tell you something about where you come on the list of "best-ness"?

Now you've said it a few times, how is it dishonest?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadeinWigan

I don't think that at all but thanks for your interpretation, maybe that's how it comes across to you. Let's leave it there eh, before another of my posts gets moderated.

johnsonr380

Your "scores" put you in the pool, nothing more.

Does it matter how much effort you put in? You are, basically, saying that the company owes you something because you tried. Many other people also put effort in too.

You would not go storming into a place of work expecting a job simply because you made the sift, so why do you thnik you're owed here?

The simple fact is as per the explanation that I posted earlier - some folk were found to be better so the company, obviously, used them first.

That is what a talent pool is; a bucket full of folk that they can choose employees from if, and when, required. Emptying the bucket is not really an option so you continue to fill the bucket so you can choose the best people for the next role. You were not chosen. Does that not tell you something about where you come on the list of "best-ness"?

Now you've said it a few times, how is it dishonest?

John I'm not going to carry on this argument. There's a few of us still in the pool, Madeinwigan has a point it does seem massively unfair. A pass should be a pass regardless, I worked hard for that pass. I think your comment about "best-ness" is really unfair to all of us still waiting.

TOCDriver

I was in a talent pool for quite some time until I moved closer to a depot and could cycle it or walk it there. I got a job within a few weeks of moving.

JCLeeds

So, now removed, many days before the stated expiry date in the ad, and only 2 days after it appeared. Certainly seems strange, I feel sorry for anyone who was half way through the lengthy application process.

Last edited:

Sheridan

Did the closing date not say 08/02/2015 i.e. 2nd August in the 'American' format?

Champo

Good luck with the application. Are you on hold for depot driver?

No. Had email saying as it's been over a year I'd have to reapply.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So, now removed, many days before the stated expiry date in the ad, and only 2 days after it appeared. Certainly seems strange, I application
ry for anyone who was half way through the very detailed and lengthy Northern application process.

Thats normal. Only ever on for about 2 days. I got a vacancy email from one TOC at 6am left it til I'd taken kids to school and it closed as i was doing application at about 10:30.

8J

Personally I wouldn't mouth off on this forum... Railway managers do look at these platforms...

MadeinWigan

I'm sure they do as well, that's why I made my comments. How else are they supposed to know that there is dissatisfaction amongst the people in the holding pool. It doesn't have to be negative, I'm not saying Northern is load of rubbish but I am saying that current processes might benefit from a review.

donpoku

Honestly I don't get it, why is MadeinWigan being chastised for expressing his opinion and frustration? Genuine question.

johnsonr380

Honestly I don't get it, why is MadeinWigan being chastised for expressing his opinion and frustration? Genuine question.

I think it's just by the one person mate. I'm in the same position, however if I wasn't I couldn't understand his frustration after patiently waiting for 16 months.

Everywhere

Northern is a shocking TOC, the recruitment process is ineffective, disjointed and inconsistent, most managers are useless, alot of the staff are miserable and the trains/rolling stock they operate are truly shocking, other than that, yeah apply for northern rail.... :roll:

p.s, yes i work for Northern Rail and gladly have my transfer to a far superior TOC in the not to distant future. I guess its a route into the wonderful career that is the railway but use Northern as a stepping stone as that's all they are worth, move on as soon as you possibly can

Last edited:

JCLeeds

Did the closing date not say 08/02/2015 i.e. 2nd August in the 'American' format?

Ah yes it may have done. I only took a glance at it as Liverpool is no good for me, but the 8th sounds familiar as an expiry date. I stand corrected if so

Goody23

Those of you who claim to be on hold for this or in the talent pool... Did you actually apply for Lime Street or was it some other nearby depot? You're only on hold for the depot you applied for. Even though I live nearer Liverpool I know I applied and interviewed for Manchester so don't expect to be approached for Liverpool as it's a completely different management team.

Also, if you applied for a depot driver role you're not in the talent pool for a mainline driver role so you wouldn't be approached.

From what I saw the job closed on Sunday as it said it would, not sure why you think an external driver job would go on for more than 48 hours.

Also, when I was put in the talent pool, they made it clear this isn't a job offer so I didn't put my life on hold feeling like I've definitely got a job. Like they say, it's an 'on hold' list. If I get approached, brilliant, if not it doesn't matter as I'm getting on with my career anyway. HR have updated me when they can but when they don't have any news for us what can we really expect?

Think people need to control their expectations a bit! (sorry for the rant) :D

Aivilo

Total agree with the above although the advert did have a closing date of the 08/8/15.

It's not unusual for vacancies to close early at all.

I know of a few qualified drivers looking to move to lime street who have been waiting the best part of around 18 months so don't think you talent pool guys have got it hard.

Sheridan

Total agree with the above although the advert did have a closing date of the 08/8/15.

It's not unusual for vacancies to close early at all.

I know of a few qualified drivers looking to move to lime street who have been waiting the best part of around 18 months so don't think you talent pool guys have got it hard.

I don't know if it was initially posted with a different date but when I first looked on Saturday morning it definitely said it closed 08/02/15 i.e. 2nd August.
Goody23 clearly saw this as well.

TRN481V

I have applied for this post - does anybody know when, if I am selected, I can expect an email?

As an aside, I think some people on here have a cheek in the way that they talk about Northern Rail on a public forum then expect them to give them a job.

LFO

"Those of you who claim to be on hold for this or in the talent pool... Did you actually apply for Lime Street or was it some other nearby depot? You're only on hold for the depot you applied for. Even though I live nearer Liverpool I know I applied and interviewed for Manchester so don't expect to be approached for Liverpool as it's a completely different management team."

You make total sense with this Goody23. I naively thought that they may have been able to use the resources from one talent pool to "top up the other" but in hindsight I guess not. You have saved me from jumping up for the phone each time it rings :D

Good luck TRN481V with your application.

Last edited:

kelv

Maybe the pool is used to put those who havent quite reached the grade in a position where they aren't reapplying and increasing the number of applications ?

if there are a couple of hundred in there who would get to the same position again then it cuts out a whole load of work for HR depts/ recruiters.

Glass half empty view like but from a half full perspective if they have some that were very close to being taken on then they are there on hold for the companies.

Recruiters in all industries are kind of in a position to do as they wish these days, there are obviously laws/regulations they must abide by but this may be 1 of the ways of getting around them.

MadeinWigan

Just as an update to the on hold element of this thread. A different person has been working in HR recently and the difference is like night and day. The communication has been brilliant. Information about the number of people in the pools for different depots, what is going on with recruitment and courses etc.

It's really refreshing and such a contrast to the way things were handled before.

Daz9284

I received an e-mail update today from Northern saying that recruitment is slow at the moment but they expect it to pick up in early 2016, if not before.

I then asked if it would be possible to find out my number in the list of people waiting to be put on a training course. Thnakfully, the very helpful gentleman told me where i was/ish in the queue,

regards,
darryl

387star

On Moderation
I received an e-mail update today from Northern saying that recruitment is slow at the moment but they expect it to pick up in early 2016, if not before.

I then asked if it would be possible to find out my number in the list of people waiting to be put on a training course. Thnakfully, the very helpful gentleman told me where i was/ish in the queue,

regards,
darryl

If only another toc would do that :(

Lucky63

It looked like the generic type to be honest.

It had some comment at the bottom which said something like 'if you have been interviewed for a Driver position in the last 9 months, your application will be marked unsuccessful' - whatever that's supposed to mean?

Economist

Would seem mad not to interview anyone if they have been through a DMI in the past 9 months, unless they are referring to the mandatory assessment process instead which would make sense.

Just a little clarification for the post above. People in the talent pools do and have been used for depots other than the one they applied for. I trained with two people who applied for Wigan and got Liverpool and I myself applied for one depot and got another. (Although I was an internal applicant.)

You won't however be offered mainline if you applied for depot driving and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.