• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Station Improvements & New Ticket Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this already. Northern are making some improvements to 5 small stations, to see what works I suspect and to gather feedback. These are Moston, Adlington Lancs, Ravensthorpe, Cramlington and Cattal. I've attached a couple of photos I've taken at Moston.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/news/latest-news/1127-better-stations-are-coming-to-northern

Details of the work to be carried out at the trial stations is as follows:

Moston (Greater Manchester) – Replacement of existing waiting shelters and provision of new seating

Adlington (Lancashire) – Replacement of existing waiting shelters. One will feature customer information, green roofing and seating and one will incorporate rainwater capture technology and seating

Ravensthorpe (West Yorkshire) – Refurbishment of existing waiting shelters to create a more welcoming waiting environment and installation of a sample customer information screen

Cramlington (Northumberland) – Refurbishment of existing waiting shelter and provision of replacement waiting shelter incorporating a customer information screen

Cattal (North Yorkshire) - Replacement of existing waiting shelters and provision of new seating]

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
Given the location of Raventhorpe station it'll be interesting to see how long any improvements last before they're vandalised or stolen.

johntea

Established Member
I would be interested to find out what exactly the 'customer information screens' actually entail and how much they cost!

I would wager the vast majority of people have such a screen available in their pocket and that the money would be better spent on maybe some WiFi access at stations these days ;)

The station at Moston needs plenty of CC TV to film the vandals that hang around here after dark. I used to wait at the top of the ramp until I heard my train coming.. Many undesirables hang around here at night.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I caught a glimpse of what looked like new shelters and a bridge that is somewhat less falling down as I passed through Ravensthorpe this afternoon.

Crossover

Established Member
I caught a glimpse of what looked like new shelters and a bridge that is somewhat less falling down as I passed through Ravensthorpe this afternoon.

A family member reported new PIS on the Leeds platform - though I'm not convinced it is actually new?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Here's a picture of the 'Technology wall' at Adlington. It also features rainwater capture (although I don't know what for) and a solar panel. Both shelters at Adlington feature USB sockets, here in the technology wall as part of the Falco shelter, and under the seats in the shelter on the other platform. There's a space for a ticket machine at Adlington too, but there isn't actually one there.

Attachments

• 20170509_140251.jpg
    20170509_140251.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 275

Starmill

Veteran Member

Attachments

• 20170428_171126.jpg
    20170428_171126.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 20170428_170839.jpg
    20170428_170839.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 20170428_172000.jpg
    20170428_172000.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 237

YorkshireLad

Personally I like the technology wall as a concept.

It would be nice to see these rolled out at more busier stations.

mcnw35282

Anyone heard anything about the refurbishment of St Helens Junction station? Remember reading something in the reporter last year but it all seems to have gone rather quiet...

Crossover

Established Member
Quite right about Ravensthorpe having new screens, although they don't yet display train running info. The Leeds platform shelter looked new but wasn't very technological!

Crossover

Established Member
Quite right about Ravensthorpe having new screens, although they don't yet display train running info. The Leeds platform shelter looked new but wasn't very technological!

Looks like it was just broken when I passed in the afternoon as it was displaying live info on the way back. The shelter on the Leeds platform at least just looks like it has been repainted

Pinza-C55

Surprised they've picked Cattal for new seating, as it's one of the few rural stations with an actual waiting room.

Plus the fact that is so relatively rural that people who use it will generally "have" to use it. I doubt whether waiting shelters or seats will influence them to use it more. A discount on the pub outside might encourage use. :lol:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Here are the new ticket machines being installed. The first is at Eccleston Park.

Attachments

• 20170720_162757.jpg
    20170720_162757.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 192

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Here are the new ticket machines being installed. The first is at Eccleston Park.

Assuming that picture is from Eccleston Park, was there any indication of the 'new signage' given in Northern's news release on it? Passing through Hale a few weeks ago it struck me how no other station had received the new signage it had, unless that is a TfGM initiative.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Is there a timetable for this? Ie which are being done first etc?

I don't know, but I think Liverpool - Preston stations are being done first.

There was no evidence of any new signage at Eccleston Park at all.

Interestingly the machine appears to feature a barcode reader. It also features the rather more standard chip and contacless readers, smartcard slot and mic and cameras.

Last edited:

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Seems like the PIS system with regards to upcoming trains on the 'Technology Panel' is remarkably similar to the ones being rolled out in the TL core - are they the same system?

Status
Not open for further replies.