• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Station Improvements & New Ticket Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
Work appears to have begun on New Mills Newtown ticket office at last, with the entrance from the car park side now fenced off and a bit of ground work done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
New ticket machine in service at Skipton as of Wednesday. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it accepts Contactless payment. If only my train hadn't been caped, it would have been a perfect morning.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Hindley station car park expansion has been abandoned because after 4 years of negotiation NR were unable to secure access rights from a local homeowner.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Was cancelled last week and they were in the partnership to build the park, so few months maybe, they would have known the cause for the delay.

Leyland155

I just thought I'd mention that the TVM's at Manchester Vic were replaced with the newer type at some point over the past few days. These photos were taken yesterday morning and, as you can perhaps see despite the poor quality, neither were working (not a surprise though given the number of faulty machines mentioned on this thread!) They both did seem to be in working order today however, so maybe just teething problems. These particular machines also accept cash payments unlike most of the new ones at other Northern stations.
Northern New Ticket Machine 1.JPG Northern New Ticket Machine 2.JPG

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I just thought I'd mention that the TVM's at Manchester Vic were replaced with the newer type at some point over the past few days. These photos were taken yesterday morning and, as you can perhaps see despite the poor quality, neither were working (not a surprise though given the number of faulty machines mentioned on this thread!) They both did seem to be in working order today however, so maybe just teething problems. These particular machines also accept cash payments unlike most of the new machines at other Northern stations.
View attachment 43710 View attachment 43711
I'm disappointed that they have only put two in at Victoria as at times the 2 TVM's can have long queue's waiting to use them, when the old S&B machines were in, one was normally out of order anyway which did not help matters. There used to be a member of STM (as in was then) staff who used to stand with an Avantix for passengers to buy tickets from at times where there was excess queues but that appears to have gone and instead you just have to wait.
Sam

palmersears

Established Member
I've noticed a new TVM has now appeared at Strines, of all places.

Reddish North ticket office is being refurbished as well, which should be done next week, however there appears to be little tangible progress at New Mills Newtown since scaffolding was erected three weeks ago...

scrapy

Established Member
I went to one of these ticket machines just after midnight to collect some tickets and it said 'out of use' on the screen underneath it said 'only available during operating hours'. I assume it means train operating hours. If that's the case the machines at Denton and Reddish South will be pretty useless for ticket collection.

agbrs_Jack

Noticed this addition to Adlington Cheshire on the 1st March, I hope Congleton gets one too (Ideally not one of those one-liners...)!
Kidsgrove and Macclesfield both have info systems (neither northern managed though) and I believe at least one other station MAC-CHU have at least a one-liner CIS.
(Seems odd that the least used on the line gets the new one first, unless installing them North -> South, I suppose if it breaks (as this one appears to have) then fewer passengers are affected.)

Attachments

• AdlingtonC Cis.JPG
    AdlingtonC Cis.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 89

pemma

Veteran Member
Noticed this addition to Adlington Cheshire on the 1st March, I hope Congleton gets one too (Ideally not one of those one-liners...)!
Kidsgrove and Macclesfield both have info systems (neither northern managed though) and I believe at least one other station MAC-CHU have at least a one-liner CIS.
(Seems odd that the least used on the line gets the new one first, unless installing them North -> South, I suppose if it breaks (as this one appears to have) then fewer passengers are affected.)

Hope stations like Knutsford and Navigation Road start getting better displays than the single sided baby ones which you can't see or hear from most of the platform. It's not even like the baby ones need to go to waste, they'd be ideal for some of the very small stations which currently have no CIS.

agbrs_Jack

Hope stations like Knutsford and Navigation Road start getting better displays than the single sided baby ones which you can't see or hear from most of the platform. It's not even like the baby ones need to go to waste, they'd be ideal for some of the very small stations which currently have no CIS.
Yeah, I don't think Adlington (Cheshire) really needs a full one,
Congleton, Poynton, CheadleH (does this already have some?) are stations that in my opinion definitely do need a full one on each platform.

The 'baby' ones could be used on the Cumbrian coast? I seem to recall Dore already has a baby one, Can't think of any smaller stations off the top of my head currently, Ardwick? Nafferton? Arram? Eastrington? Wressle?

pemma

Veteran Member
Yeah, I don't think Adlington (Cheshire) really needs a full one,
Congleton, Poynton, CheadleH (does this already have some?) are stations that in my opinion definitely do need a full one on each platform.

The 'baby' ones could be used on the Cumbrian coast? I seem to recall Dore already has a baby one, Can't think of any smaller stations off the top of my head currently, Ardwick? Nafferton? Arram? Eastrington? Wressle?

On the Mid-Cheshire line we have baby ones at Navigation Road (one platform only), Northwich (one platform only), Greenbank, Cuddington and Knutsford (not sure if Delamere managed to get them or not), while Hale, Altrincham and Northwich (one platform only) have full sized ones. We have more than 4 stations (with 2 platforms each) without any form of CIS including Ashley which certainly doesn't justify a full sized one.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Does anyone know when the platform lengthenings are set to start happening for the TPE and Northern train lengthenings.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Does anyone know when the platform lengthenings are set to start happening for the TPE and Northern train lengthenings.

Marsden is getting platform 3 extended, not sure about platforms 1 and 2.

Suppose it'd make sense to close platforms 1 and 2 and just use platform 3 on a bi-directional loop, it'd solve the PSVAR/accessibility problem there.

lejog

Established Member

Interesting that the plans here show an operational length of the extended platforms at Mirfield as 121m, so long enough for 5*23m services but not 6*23m.

Do the 185s have SDO / are they to be fitted with SDO? Else it appears that the station will only be served by single 185s on the TPE Leeds/Manchester stopping service.

Mirfield will also be served by the Northern Leeds-Southport service which I suppose could be a 5*23m 170/15x combination.

pemma

Veteran Member
Interesting that the plans here show an operational length of the extended platforms at Mirfield as 121m, so long enough for 5*23m services but not 6*23m.

Do the 185s have SDO / are they to be fitted with SDO? Else it appears that the station will only be served by single 185s on the TPE Leeds/Manchester stopping service.

Mirfield will also be served by the Northern Leeds-Southport service which I suppose could be a 5*23m 170/15x combination.

There's stations on the Southport line where 5 x 23m have been specified.

The 185s are being fitted with SDO, they didn't have SDO from the outset but did have the ability to only release the doors on the front set at stations with short platforms, which has been used on the CLC line.

nr758123

Marsden is getting platform 3 extended, not sure about platforms 1 and 2.

Suppose it'd make sense to close platforms 1 and 2 and just use platform 3 on a bi-directional loop, it'd solve the PSVAR/accessibility problem there.

The planning application is for lengthening all three platforms at Marsden. There would be little point in lengthening only platform 3, since in the new timetable almost all the westbound trains will use platform 2 instead.

Link to planning application is http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/pla...anning-applications/detail.aspx?id=2018/90900

johntea

Established Member
Harrogate has replaced the TVM near the cash machine with either 2 or 3 of the new style ones now, it is quite a well provisioned station now if you want a ticket! Those, plus a couple from the 'smart wall' installation, plus the ticket office itself, then another one across the way pre barriers on Platform 3!

skyhigh

Established Member
Of interest, Journey Check is only reporting 3 stations with non-functional ticket machines this afternoon - maybe they don't like cold damp weather!

palmersears

Established Member
New Mills Newtown ticket office refurb appears to be finished, at least externally, but has yet to open. The PIS is now working on the Buxton-bound side, but not yet on the Manchester-bound platform, although audio announcements work across both. Not sure if there's a TVM going in, but given the local youngsters will probably destroy it within 24 hours of its arrival they'd be wise not to bother.

pemma

Veteran Member
It seems those stations with the low cost single sided 2 line CIS fitted by the last franchise won't get them upgraded, despite the new franchise currently fitting better CIS at lower usage stations. I personally think the low cost ones should be moved to low usage stations with the busier stations getting a proper CIS.

Andyh82

Established Member
They’ve installed 4 new ticket machines at Bradford Interchange. I think there were previously 2 old style ones here.

DanNCL

Established Member
The new ticket machine at Dunston, which has only been in situ for a small number of weeks, has already been vandalised, with the screen smashed. Not looking good!

pemma

Veteran Member
The new ticket machine at Dunston, which has only been in situ for a small number of weeks, has already been vandalised, with the screen smashed. Not looking good!

And people question why no new trains for North East routes.

DanNCL

Established Member
And people question why no new trains for North East routes.
Most areas of the North East are actually alright. Just because there are a few idiots in the North East, just like everywhere else, doesn't mean that the North East deserves less than anywhere else.

gtis

Swindon South Yorkshire have got a new ticket machine but only takes cards the old one took money as well but took it out a few years ago as it was aways out of order and also getting new shelters don’t know about a technology wall
Neil

thejuggler

Bramley on Caldervale Line has been smashed twice - once before it became operational and I have noticed the screen is smashed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.