• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Station Improvements & New Ticket Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
I'm not entirely convinced that's a full list - last time I went through Headingley station there was just a hole in the ground where the machine was, but JourneyCheck didn't mention anything about me being unable to collect my tickets when I checked beforehand to make sure I'd be safe to... It hadn't been updated by the evening either!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
According to JourneyCheck, there are currently 13 stations where the ticket machines are out of order:
  • Bramley, Brough, Burley-In-Wharfedale, Chapeltown, Crossflatts, Dore & Totley, Goole, Guiseley, Ilkley, New Pudsey, Prudhoe and Saltburn - machines not working.
  • Bridlington - unable to collect ToD.
That's not very good, is it? Normally it's only 1 or 2 stations. How many of these stations have the new machines? At least 2 to my knowledge.
That is not the full list, Littleborough and Rochdale both had bags over them the last time I passed. Perhaps waiting for new machines.
Sam

Starmill

Veteran Member
The ones at Rochdale, Littleborough and Todmorden have been out of use for a very long time now, so they are probably not updated on that list, the stations are just not considered to have ticket machines (at least, until they get the new ones).

I'm not entirely convinced that's a full list - last time I went through Headingley station there was just a hole in the ground where the machine was, but JourneyCheck didn't mention anything about me being unable to collect my tickets when I checked beforehand to make sure I'd be safe to... It hadn't been updated by the evening either!

As far as this goes I tweeted to ask why there had been no warning that some stations would be without a ticket machine (and thus without ToD for several days) and was told that the twitter team do not have access to this information.

That's not very good, is it? Normally it's only 1 or 2 stations. How many of these stations have the new machines? At least 2 to my knowledge.

Lots of them now. Certainly double figures, I have seen them all over the place. There are three at Earlestown alone.

pemma

Veteran Member

The Journey Check list seems to contain a list of TVMs which have reported as being out-of-order. It can contain TVMs which are now functional again and not contain TVMs that are out-of-order but haven't yet been reported.

skyhigh

Established Member
The ones at Rochdale, Littleborough and Todmorden have been out of use for a very long time now, so they are probably not updated on that list, the stations are just not considered to have ticket machines (at least, until they get the new ones).

As far as this goes I tweeted to ask why there had been no warning that some stations would be without a ticket machine (and thus without ToD for several days) and was told that the twitter team do not have access to this information.
As of this morning the machine at Headingley was still absent - it's been at least 2 weeks now

Geeves

Established Member
Rochdale's destroyed machine gets replaced shortly with 4 new ones in the subway along with the barriers which are being put in currently (also in the subway).

Bantamzen

Established Member
According to JourneyCheck, there are currently 13 stations where the ticket machines are out of order:
  • Bramley, Brough, Burley-In-Wharfedale, Chapeltown, Crossflatts, Dore & Totley, Goole, Guiseley, Ilkley, New Pudsey, Prudhoe and Saltburn - machines not working.
  • Bridlington - unable to collect ToD.

Hmmm not sure about Ilkley & Guiseley. Ilkley was definitely working last Saturday as I used it to top up my MCard when I was up there for lunch, and Guiseley was working last FRiday when I was last there. So unless things have gone wrong since I'd be surprised to find them both out.

Meanwhile the TVM has been installed at Baildon, but is not yet on-line. There are other works on-going with concrete going down for a new shelter and additional trunking for more CCTV cameras, so maybe Northern are waiting for works to complete before brining it into commission.

pemma

Veteran Member
According to Northern's Twitter feed they are installing 600 of the new style TVMs. However, as some as replacing old style TVMs I don't know how many stations will get them.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Rochdale's destroyed machine gets replaced shortly with 4 new ones in the subway along with the barriers which are being put in currently (also in the subway).
One would hope that they are being installed on the outside of the barriers otherwise it would prove quite hard for people to actually get tickets!
This would presumably prevent people from using the underpass who are not actually using the train as it is currently a good cut through for the Metrolink car park.
Sam

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
TVM at *Ardwick*?!

Why don't they just bite the bullet and close it? Barely anyone ever uses it and it has a joke of a service. If it doesn't justify all the Hadfields calling it doesn't justify existing, and the footbridge looks like it's about to rust away to nothing.

Or is it being kept open in anticipation of planned "regeneration" developments of posh flats?

Having said all that, I suppose it could be to stop people on peak workings stopping there from saying "I got on at Ardwick, mate" and getting away with not paying. IOW, there being no intention of anyone ever actually buying a ticket there.

Ardwick has more passengers now than in the 15 years I have been on the railway. Footfall is almost in double figures. It is a very strange decision.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Ardwick has more passengers now than in the 15 years I have been on the railway. Footfall is almost in double figures. It is a very strange decision.
Indeed!
When I used the evening service back into Manchester a couple of months ago there was about 3 other people excluding me waiting for the train, with one of them being a regular.
Sam

Geeves

Established Member
One would hope that they are being installed on the outside of the barriers otherwise it would prove quite hard for people to actually get tickets!
This would presumably prevent people from using the underpass who are not actually using the train as it is currently a good cut through for the Metrolink car park.
Sam

The ticket machines are indeed before the barriers, One set of barriers will be on the stairs side and the lift will have its own personal barrier (the wide aisle gate) leaving a gap so people can pass freely through the subway during station hours.

drbob

I've twice now been frustrated attempting to buy a ticket from the new "video wall" style vending machines. both times got all the way through to the purchase screen only for the software to crash and a message pop up saying the machine is out of service - not very helpful when tying to make a tight connection with no time to buy a ticket at the interchange station.

The whole endeavour seems like a gigantic waste of money to me, my local station needs more machines to deal with the morning rush, not a bigger screen (those screens are expensive - I wonder how many small screen machines could be purchased for each of the large screen units...)

LowLevel

Established Member
The old machine at Widnes has finally been dispatched to the fiery death it deserves (I want all the minutes of my life I've wasted having to endorse illegible tickets that turn to pulp having dropped into the collection tray that filled with water every single time the slightest drizzle started) having currently been replaced with an attractive hole in the ground. I'm assuming a fancy device will appear soon (naturally we humble train crew just note said things appearing or disappearing - no one has actually told us).

Starmill

Veteran Member
The machine at Mauldeth Road today was out of service because it had run out of ticket stock. It was not one of the 16 listed on journey check this afternoon as either out of service or unable to dispense ToD. I did report it.

pemma

Veteran Member
The machine at Mauldeth Road today was out of service because it had run out of ticket stock. It was not one of the 16 listed on journey check this afternoon as either out of service or unable to dispense ToD. I did report it.

Does anyone know how around many blank tickets the TVMs hold at a time? With collection receipts being issued with TOD and presumably a considerable number of TOD transactions have seat reservations as well, some probably use quite a lot of ticket stock.

I notice there's an ITSO feature on the new TVMs (currently disabled.) I don't know exactly how Northern are planning to use that feature.

Geeves

Established Member
I think a roll has around 1500 tickets on it. Northern an TPE are currently working in collaboration on a smart card for weekly, monthly an annual tickets.

pdq

Does anyone know what's happening at Batley? The ticket machine has been removed and there's a works compound with various plant in the carpark. PIS makes reference to the vending machine being upgraded. Cheers.

pemma

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what's happening at Batley? The ticket machine has been removed and there's a works compound with various plant in the carpark. PIS makes reference to the vending machine being upgraded. Cheers.

It's likely they are replacing the old one with a new style one (see post 91 for an image.) The new ones have a video call option, a smart ticket reader and a much larger screen.

Not sure what's happening to all the old machines, whether they are being scrapped or whether they'll be refurbished and will make a reappearance at stations which don't have ticket selling facilities currently.

thejuggler

Bramley got a new machine this week... less that 24 hours later the screen has been completely smashed. Wonder how easy that is to repair?

As Bramley has completely separate entrances serving each platform will both have a ticket machine? Or will this double the expenditure for vandalism!

pdq

New ticket machine duly installed at Batley. Would it not have been a good idea to have moved the timetable sign first?
IMG_20171031_073537.jpg
Looks like the works outside might be to install water to the new cafe.

johntea

Established Member
Surely with the massive screen these new machines can actually just display the timetable information when idle... ;)

pemma

Veteran Member
Surely with the massive screen these new machines can actually just display the timetable information when idle... ;)

The old TVMs at Knutsford, Northwich and Greenbank were fitted before the CIS displays and while idle they showed the next 4 departures from the station and whether or not they were on time. The new one at Knutsford doesn't have that feature.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
The TVMs at Northwich and Greenbank have been replaced by holes.

That's good to know as I often pop into Northwich (or send my wife) to collect tickets.

I hope the new machine is a bit easier to use than the old one.

Bwlch y Groes

The problem with the new TVMs is that we get a lot of problems reported to us by customers and then by the time the engineers get round to looking at them, the machines have fixed themselves. Must be a software glitch or something. The one at Darwen in particular seems to have a few issues connecting to the network

To clarify earlier comments, Reddish South and Denton aren't due to get TVMs. Most of the irregular service stations aren't getting them - so the ones in East Yorks and the North East - plus the Barton Line stations aren't. The 600+ figure is definitely for real. Most of the Northern Connect stations seem be getting at least 4

Status
Not open for further replies.