• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ab1989

How are we going to track our job status now as DB is not going to play any role in recruitment anymore?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whitey

I got an email from Northern today, I am in the talent pool for a conductors post in Middlesbrough, the email was just informing me that my file was being transferred over to the new Northern trains limited, so they seem on the ball, I rang a week or so ago to just check in and they said they were waiting for the franchise change then everything will start moving again, so fingers crossed

After 2 months of silence I have been told I have passed assessment and interviews for a train maintenance role I applied for in the summer of last year and placed into a talent pool.

I have no further information regarding what this means other than the above, before I contact HR to clarify has anyone else been placed into a talent pool for northern?

my main question would be does this expire after a set period of time and is this a step in the right direction or should I just expect to be forgotten about.

many thanks
I would say just be very patient and check in from time to time without being a nuisance. My whole application from start to commencing work was 18 months. There are different factors involved. Just keep jumping through the hoops when required and keep the faith.

Just seen on the news that northern will be put into public ownership from the 1st of March. Wonder how that’s going to affect those of us in the pool? :s
I think if anything it will boost recruitment. One of the reasons stated all the time for not running services was that they didn't have the bodies. I think the first thing the gov will say is "Why are you not on a big recruitment drive? Let's get these trains moving!".

richfoz84

Millions is being invested into the railway network. Northern in particular are having new fleet, they serve over 500 stations, and an older generation of drivers that are retiring.. there will be plenty of positions available.. I wouldn’t worry too much, being nationalised, I believe, is a good thing!

Kadot

Couple of things:

Has anyone had a further update in relation to the transfer of our application from the DB website to the Northern Railway site?

I'm guessing the current cohorts of Conductor courses are halted and therefore causing further delays to future courses. My application will expire in May. Will Northern consider extending the 9 month expiry date from the date of interview?

Bosch91

Couple of things:

Has anyone had a further update in relation to the transfer of our application from the DB website to the Northern Railway site?

I'm guessing the current cohorts of Conductor courses are halted and therefore causing further delays to future courses. My application will expire in May. Will Northern consider extending the 9 month expiry date from the date of interview?
I was in a talent pool for northern (dB) haven’t heard anything since before the take over by dft. my application on the db careers site now just reads end of process.

richfoz84

i emailed last week, they confirm i'm in a talent pool awaiting a start date that "fits my criteria" which is after June 29th to start

ToonSupa123

I felt very comfortable in the interview, I just recently passed an MMI for a different TOC, and the questions were similar so that helped me alot.

Throughout the whole process since passing the first interview I had been sending an email every month or so to say I am still interested. And I noticed on my DB portal around a week ago "screening for alternative job" appeared next to my Conductor application. So that was promising.
Did Northern get back to you regarding your interview?

CreamNCookies

They did yes, I was unsuccessful sadly.

I found out almost instantly after my interview, but i asked for feedback and its been a long time and do not believe ill ever get it now.

But silver linings and that, Im waiting on a DMI with another toc and the results of an interview with again another TOC.

In times like now, i just have to be thankful I have a job at the moment.

richfoz84

On the new careers page, there are vacancies for Leeds.. which shows the current salary scale.. which i have been trying to confirm for a while. So this may benefit others too..

Salary details:

£23,326 per annum during training - approx 12 months (internal candidate retains current salary if higher)

Rising to £40,738 in Year 1

Rising to £44,952 in Year 2

Rising to £54,500 in Year 3 onwards.

LiverpoolNRC

I have also passed interview stage for conductor at Lime Street although placed into a 9 month talent pool.

I wonder if anyone has any idea if any further positions for conductor were in the pipeline at least before Covid?

Also will I be able to access any update on the new Northern Rail hub or is DB website still running?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me, much appreciated!

jesus

I had my interview and psychometrics just when this Coronavirus stuff was getting serious, so feel pretty lucky to have done and passed them before the lockdown etc.

Currently awaiting a medical, and obviously haven't heard anything since then due to places being closed. Is anyone in the same boat as me right now, and have you heard anything since being told a medical will be arranged?

jwc04

I'm in a similar position as you, but with a different operator. Before Coronavirus got worse, I'd been told I'd been pencilled in for a May start (I'm an internal candidate), however the medicals cannot proceed as the company they use have either furloughed some staff whilst others have gone to do some work for the NHS. So just waiting now.

jesus

I'm in a similar position as you, but with a different operator. Before Coronavirus got worse, I'd been told I'd been pencilled in for a May start (I'm an internal candidate), however the medicals cannot proceed as the company they use have either furloughed some staff whilst others have gone to do some work for the NHS. So just waiting now.
That's very understandable, cheers for the reply. :)

Whitey

Well I am in the talent pool for conductor in Middlesbrough, I was interviewed in Newcastle in January, I emailed HR last week just to ask what if anything was happening, I got a reply saying I was still in the talent pool and can be for up to 9 months, however due to circumstances after the nine months are up I may just be asked for a chat about if my circumstances had changed,
then earlier this week I got another email from someone at HR who initially called me interview, this email asked me if I was still interested in the post and if my circumstances had changed at all I obviously replied straight away, It was just a bit of a relief that I am still in the system and as I am on lockdown at the moment it was nice to hear from the outside world.

Kadot

Well I am in the talent pool for conductor in Middlesbrough, I was interviewed in Newcastle in January, I emailed HR last week just to ask what if anything was happening, I got a reply saying I was still in the talent pool and can be for up to 9 months, however due to circumstances after the nine months are up I may just be asked for a chat about if my circumstances had changed,
then earlier this week I got another email from someone at HR who initially called me interview, this email asked me if I was still interested in the post and if my circumstances had changed at all I obviously replied straight away, It was just a bit of a relief that I am still in the system and as I am on lockdown at the moment it was nice to hear from the outside world.

Likewise... I had the same email. I am just praying that a medical and course date is made available. I passed my interview last August.

Status
Not open for further replies.