• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I agree, we saw the Virgin - Avanti change over last month and as far as I am aware there were no immediate changes to recruitment and talent pools.

The one noticeable change will be that after the 1st March, Northern will not be recruiting on the existing Deutsche Bahn site. No doubt a new company website will be launched in the next few weeks with it's own vacancy page.

CJ

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bosch91

Shouldn’t make any difference, after all the same HR team will be dealing with applications during the change over.

Freds dad

I agree, we saw the Virgin - Avanti change over last month and as far as I am aware there were no immediate changes to recruitment and talent pools.

The one noticeable change will be that after the 1st March, Northern will not be recruiting on the existing Deutsche Bahn site. No doubt a new company website will be launched in the next few weeks with it's own vacancy page.

CJ

As it is a new company will the 6 month wait to reapply be removed as you will be applying to work for a different company?

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Northern have added some new vacancies to their careers board today (Thursday 30th) - clearly yesterday's news hasn't made an impact so far with recruitment so I would guess everyone in the talent pool should be okay.

Bosch91

I have since had confirmation from northern I will remain in the talent pool for 6 months. How much this will be effected by the franchise change I have no idea

jhlouise

I'm finding this talent pool thing very confusing. I know someone who applied for the exact same role as I have, but a few months prior, and they almost immediately started their training (within about 4 weeks of interview). I don't understand why the position wouldn't have been given to someone who was waiting in the pool vs. a new applicant?

baz962

Established Member
I'm finding this talent pool thing very confusing. I know someone who applied for the exact same role as I have, but a few months prior, and they almost immediately started their training (within about 4 weeks of interview). I don't understand why the position wouldn't have been given to someone who was waiting in the pool vs. a new applicant?
I would guess that when you are successful , you go in the pool and when a course comes up , you get taken out of the pool and onto a course. New applicant's then go into the pool , ready for the next course. If they kept on taking new applicant's onto courses , then no one would ever get out of the pool.

richfoz84

I have been advised by northern recruitment that if your in the Talent pool longer than 9 months you have to re interview.

ToonSupa123

When you say re interview? Do you mean just the interview or go back through the whole application process again?

Ab1989

Hi everyone
Thank you very much for this information.
I have applied for conductors role in Leeds station and met standards requirements BUT
Dear

Role: Conductor Leeds

Thank you for attending the interview day for the Conductor position. Having now completed the interview process, we are pleased to let you know that you have successfully met the standard we are looking for.

However, as there were a high volume of candidates who met the criteria at interview and only limited spaces available for immediate start dates, we’re unable to make you a job offer at this time.

We understand that you will be keen to join us; however, sometimes it may take up to 9 months to offer you a start date. In order to manage your expectations, we do need to make you aware that we cannot guarantee a job offer during this time.

Before any job offer is made, you would be required to complete and successfully pass a Medical Assessment. A medical appointment will be arranged, once a provisional start date is offered to you.

We will keep your application on file for up to 9 months. If there are no suitable start dates during this period, your application will expire, and you will be required to submit a new application for any future vacancies.

In the meantime, if you want to be considered for another vacancy you will need to submit a new application.

If you no longer want to be considered for this role, please do let us know and we can advise you as appropriate.

We will be in contact again with an update as soon as we have one.

Kind regards

The Northern Recruitment Team

Last edited:

TreacleMiller

Interviewing people for positions that don't exist is costly and wasteful. An insane amount of work at cos to literally all involved.

I spoke with a driver at my local depot this afternoon who simply said when it came to recruiting the entire network is one big cluster....

Starting to see his point...

Kevlar

It means you are in a talent pool and if opportunities arise you will be offered a job but they can't give you a date or even a guarantee that an opportunity will eventually arise. Many people in talent pools are eventually offered jobs but not always and time spans can vary from a few hours to months and you should keep applying for jobs that become available.

This is how the railway recruits as they need to employ people at short notice and railway recruitment is a long process so they keep people in talent pools so that when need they have candidates at short notice.

CreamNCookies

I get your concerns Ab1989,

I was in the talent pool for a conductor role for Newcastle, it expired two weeks ago.

Today im sitting the assessment again after they invited me last week.

Just sit tight, and don't put all your eggs in this basket until you get a start date and medical.

ToonSupa123

I get your concerns Ab1989,

I was in the talent pool for a conductor role for Newcastle, it expired two weeks ago.

Today im sitting the assessment again after they invited me last week.

Just sit tight, and don't put all your eggs in this basket until you get a start date and medical.
Let us know how you get on with your interview/assessment

Ab1989

Thank you CreamNcookies

I hope it all goes well for you .
Did you reapply or they just called you for assessment day themselves?
Thanks

CreamNCookies

Thank you CreamNcookies

I hope it all goes well for you .
Did you reapply or they just called you for assessment day themselves?
Thanks

I think it went well today, only time will tell , but thanks for all the well wishes yall!

I didnt re-apply.

If im being honest I gave up all hope after 9 months of hearing nothing and out of the blue i had an invite email last week.

Ab1989

I think it went well today, only time will tell , but thanks for all the well wishes yall!

I didnt re-apply.

If im being honest I gave up all hope after 9 months of hearing nothing and out of the blue i had an invite email last week.
Hi
Good to hear that your interview went great .
What were the questions like ?
I hope they dont put you in talent pool again.

ToonSupa123

I didnt re-apply.

Did you ask questions about franchise change?

CreamNCookies

Ill find out if i passed the interview within a week, and itll be back into the pool. But was told there are many courses happening this year, one starting every month potentially. So that was promising.

Question wise, they were typical;
-tell me what you know about Northen
-tell me a time youve done a repetitive set of tasks
-what would you do if someone was filming you

You get the jist.

Franchise change, i asked how does it work with the change and recruitment. Was told that because ive made it this far it goes onto their hr system automatically and that there needn't be a concern. Nothing will change unless you're high up in Northern (high management Arriva side).

The whole thing yesterday was the most comfortable interview i've had, and I will be passing this feedback on to Northern when I get my result.

Kadot

Ill find out if i passed the interview within a week, and itll be back into the pool. But was told there are many courses happening this year, one starting every month potentially. So that was promising.

You get the jist.

Franchise change, i asked how does it work with the change and recruitment. Was told that because ive made it this far it goes onto their hr system automatically and that there needn't be a concern. Nothing will change unless you're high up in Northern (high management Arriva side).

The whole thing yesterday was the most comfortable interview i've had, and I will be passing this feedback on to Northern when I get my result.

I'm sure you've aced it.

It does sound very promising. My application is due to expire in May but since they've allowed you to re-interview, it makes me feel more at ease.

Ab1989

You get the jist.

Thank you very much for updating.
I wish you all the best as you have been waiting long time already.
Let's see if there are any roles coming up soon.

CreamNCookies

I'm sure you've aced it.

It does sound very promising. My application is due to expire in May but since they've allowed you to re-interview, it makes me feel more at ease.

I felt very comfortable in the interview, I just recently passed an MMI for a different TOC, and the questions were similar so that helped me alot.

Throughout the whole process since passing the first interview I had been sending an email every month or so to say I am still interested. And I noticed on my DB portal around a week ago "screening for alternative job" appeared next to my Conductor application. So that was promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.