• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Drivers - Newcastle & Darlington (25/03/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tallpaul1606

Received email on Sunday

Thank you for applying for the Train Driver - Newcastle role.

We appreciate your patience whilst your application is being considered. There was a lot of interest in the roles, and it is taking us a little longer than expected to review each application.

Rest assured, we will be back in contact as soon as we have an update for you.

We would like to thank you again for your interest in the role and we’ll be back in touch as soon as we can.

Kind regards

The Northern Recruitment Team
Northern Trains Ltd

CreamNCookies

The results are in... and I passed the DMI.

To say i'm over the moon is an understatement.

I'm about to head to Greggs to get a doughnut to celebrate.

MRIGuy

congrats!

there's mention of a course in June in another thread. Do you think you'll be offered a place on this course?

CreamNCookies

I wouldn't be able to start a June course, unless I had a medical tomorrow and passed. I won't put my notice in until I pass the ol medical.

Thanks Nigell, I applied for Newcastle.

DriverEight

It's a bizarre process when one guy gets positively flown through while others are still being sifted! The railway moves in mysterious ways, it's wonders to perform.....

Anyway, well done and good luck!

CreamNCookies

It is an odd one, especially as i'm an external with no railway experience (nor am I a member of the emergency services).

I'm sure I read of another being interviewed on here.

When I had to select my interview there were around 15 slots. So there must be others who have had their interviews.

But thanks nonetheless.

DriverEight

It is an odd one, especially as i'm an external with no railway experience (nor am I a member of the emergency services).

I'm sure I read of another being interviewed on here.

When I had to select my interview there were around 15 slots. So there must be others who have had their interviews.

But thanks nonetheless.
The icing on the cake would be for you to get straight on a course, no waiting about in talent pools! Fingers crossed!

CreamNCookies

It really would be - although the look on my superiors face when I hand my notice in will be more worth it.

mechanic2

Congratulations!!!
You too mate!

You mentioned notice period up there in one of your threads - although I haven't even passed the testing stage yet I'm worried about my current roles notice. It's a lot longer than what most people have to give so it may mean I have to go into the talent pool should I be successful.
To say I'm worried about that prospect is an understatement. (I'm aware I am not there yet though as I am yet to take the assessment).

CreamNCookies

You too mate!

You mentioned notice period up there in one of your threads - although I haven't even passed the testing stage yet I'm worried about my current roles notice. It's a lot longer than what most people have to give so it may mean I have to go into the talent pool should I be successful.
To say I'm worried about that prospect is an understatement. (I'm aware I am not there yet though as I am yet to take the assessment).
Did you happen to mention your notice period in the interview? If you did, i'm sure they will take everything into consideration, so try not to stress.

In regards to the tests, the tests are not as bad as you may think. Do a little digging around on here and you'll find more than enough to help you out. The email I received today stated that tests should happen in the next three weeks.

mechanic2

Did you happen to mention your notice period in the interview? If you did, i'm sure they will take everything into consideration, so try not to stress.

In regards to the tests, the tests are not as bad as you may think. Do a little digging around on here and you'll find more than enough to help you out. The email I received today stated that tests should happen in the next three weeks.
Yes, I did mention it in the interview and I've spoken to someone in HR. It's just over the past few days I've come to realise its so much longer than I anticipated. What a nightmare. I really hope I don't have to decline a start date.

Thanks for the advice on the testing. I'm definitely going to have a look around here, and also my email said the same. Within the next three weeks.

CreamNCookies

If you get on well with your employer, just be honest with them they may see some reasoning. I've made sure I haven't used any holiday this year so far, so it could bring my notice period time down - something that maybe you could do?

mechanic2

If you get on well with your employer, just be honest with them they may see some reasoning. I've made sure I haven't used any holiday this year so far, so it could bring my notice period time down - something that maybe you could do?
Unfortunately not for me. Working in a school where the holidays are set. Like I said...nightmare haha.

CreamNCookies

Ahh dude. Well lets be optimistic, ride the high of knowing you made it through the applications sift and passed the interview. From what I know - that is no easy feat.

Maria.W

Unfortunately not for me. Working in a school where the holidays are set. Like I said...nightmare haha.
You could always give as much notice as possible and leave anyway. I cant imagine a reasonable employer would stop you under the circumstances. You'll probably get a decent amount of notice of a course start date anyway.

I suppose it all depends on the job you do and if you're willing to breach your contract. The worst they could realistically do (other than not reemploy you) is try and claim back any additional expenses for covering your role but it would be a pain the behind for your employer, especially if the additional cost is minimal. A lot of Companies wouldn't bother.

Good luck with the tests. Like some others I haven't even received a please bare with us email :|

mechanic2

Ahh dude. Well lets be optimistic, ride the high of knowing you made it through the applications sift and passed the interview. From what I know - that is no easy feat.
Thanks man. Definitely a great feeling. Never know, things could work out. Just going to practice like mad for the psychometrics.

You could always give as much notice as possible and leave anyway. I cant imagine a reasonable employer would stop you under the circumstances. You'll probably get a decent amount of notice of a course start date anyway.

I suppose it all depends on the job you do and if you're willing to breach your contract. The worst they could realistically do (other than not reemploy you) is try and claim back any additional expenses for covering your role but it would be a pain the behind for your employer, especially if the additional cost is minimal. A lot of Companies wouldn't bother.

Good luck with the tests. Like some others I haven't even received a please bare with us email :|
I'll just need to look into what the start date would be, should I pass. Got to get through the testing yet anyways.

Hope that you hear back soon! The waiting is awful isn't it.

Maria.W

It really would be - although the look on my superiors face when I hand my notice in will be more worth it.
I hope to see that same look one my bosses face one day when I resign to be a train driver :lol: I will keep persevering!

Congrats on getting through!!

CreamNCookies

I hope to see that same look one my bosses face one day when I resign to be a train driver :lol: I will keep persevering!

Congrats on getting through!!
I've been trying for years to get this far, I can count on two hands how many rejections i've had.

The most recent was the DMI for LNER in January. But I found every time I have an interview I jot the questions down afterwards to tailor answers for future ones I may get - and it's worked so far. Coming from a hospitality background I used to think there are no example sI could give to pass the DMI, but every walk in life has examples.

Essentially what i'm saying is never give up.

Now I just need to pass a medical and get out of a talent pool I guess.

skyhigh

Established Member
there's mention of a course in June in another thread. Do you think you'll be offered a place on this course?
Not a chance - there are candidates I'm aware of who've been waiting for almost 9 months since passing the psychometrics and been told December at the absolute earliest now. While obviously specific depot requirements have a part to play in order of allocation to courses, I'd say it's highly unlikely there will be space on a June course.

Your current notice period will be taken into consideration when they make you a course offer.

I'll just need to look into what the start date would be, should I pass.
It's very hard to say with any degree of certainty until you get a firm allocation. You could be incredibly fortunate and get a date in a couple of months, or could be waiting 12 months+. There's not even a guarantee you will get a job once in a talent pool (as myself and others have found out in the past!). So as I said above, they will take your notice period into account when allocating start dates, but will be unwilling to provide any estimate of when that date might be.

DriverEight

The question of long notice periods makes me wonder what would happen if they need someone at short notice. For instance, if a course is due to start in two weeks, but someone drops out and the TOC is looking for someone from the talent pool to step in. You're close to the top of the list, but you require 3 months notice for your current employer - would the TOC skip over you in favour of someone further down the list that can start sooner?

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
The question of long notice periods makes me wonder what would happen if they need someone at short notice. For instance, if a course is due to start in two weeks, but someone drops out and the TOC is looking for someone from the talent pool to step in. You're close to the top of the list, but you require 3 months notice for your current employer - would the TOC skip over you in favour of someone further down the list that can start sooner?
Absolutely. Why would they leave the place unfilled when someone else can fill it?

DriverEight

Absolutely. Why would they leave the place unfilled when someone else can fill it?
I wasn't asking about whether they would leave it unfilled, more about whether they would skip skip someone that required a longer notice period. They could say "look, we have this place on a course starting in two weeks. You said in your application you need to give three months notice, but if you can get out earlier the place is yours.", but would they do that? Or, alternatively, would they just go directly to someone that has stated that he only needs two weeks notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.