• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Wasn't it having some corrosion work done, around the doors I believe? It wouldn't surprise me if there were problems, these units have been worked pretty intensively since their introduction so have spent a lot of time running in all sorts of Yorkshire weather for close to 20 years now.
All been worked hard except for 009 which spent many years as the Neville Hill Christmas Tree! I'm surprised that one was revived in an unrefurbished state really, I'd have thought it made more sense to use that as the "proof of concept". Considering how long it spent in the open, often with doors removed and closed up with plywood, I'd have thought it would've been in a worse state than the others corrosion-wise too. Given that it was revived, it'll possibly be the last to go for refurbishment now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northernchris

Established Member
150120 has now had its internal refresh complete having entered service in FGW interior upon returning from receiving PRM mods.

158817 has had PRM mods done and is back in service

AWK

150120 has now had its internal refresh complete having entered service in FGW interior upon returning from receiving PRM mods.
Indeed, I had 150120 on 1202 SHF > LDS earlier today and it stank of fresh paint inside!

I haven't heard that 333 001 is in service yet. Supposed to be around 3 weeks work so all must not be well.
K

I have heard that upon arriving at Neville Hill, 333001 was used as a spares donor (!) to prop up the recently ailing 333 fleet which has been quite unreliable recently.

It is now being put back together but is subject to some minor contractual issues (a disagreement about what work has been done vs what was requested, I understsnd).

boeing737229

Odd how it says it's timed for 90mph and 158s are the only members of the Sprinter family that can do 90, but there aren't any 158s still at Kilmarnock surely? If this is 155343 returning, then 344 must be leaving imminently, inwhich case when I saw it at Wakey Kirkgate on Monday was the last time I ever saw it in the old livery

leo knight

RTT 1153 arriving at Heaton from Glasgow works maybe a refurbed 156 and a 1212 arrival from Allerton depot a class 158 today.

leo knight

1258 departs Heaton to Glasgow works and 1259 dep Heaton to Allerton. The latter being a 158.Today.

anamyd

On Moderation
Odd how it says it's timed for 90mph and 158s are the only members of the Sprinter family that can do 90, but there aren't any 158s still at Kilmarnock surely? If this is 155343 returning, then 344 must be leaving imminently, inwhich case when I saw it at Wakey Kirkgate on Monday was the last time I ever saw it in the old livery
isn't the 75mph top speed of the older Sprinters "conservative"...? i heard that depending on the unit condition, some of them will happily do more than that

northernchris

Established Member
What I don't get is why Northern are staggering the refurbs on all units except for the 170s.

Perhaps down to unit availability? There's some slack in the 170 fleet at the moment whereas the sprinters are being hammered to deliver the timetable

AMD

What I don't get is why Northern are staggering the refurbs on all units except for the 170s.
Perhaps down to unit availability? There's some slack in the 170 fleet at the moment whereas the sprinters are being hammered to deliver the timetable

Yes, some slack in the daily requirement for 170s; also the 170s require far less work as they are coming south in pretty good shape, being reasonably modern units.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Since WMT are refurbishing there 323s, are any of the northern 323s likely to be refurbished and have the PRM mods done before they leave the franchise or is it to late to do them?

978wta

Since WMT are refurbishing there 323s, are any of the northern 323s likely to be refurbished and have the PRM mods done before they leave the franchise or is it to late to do them?

Given that Northerns 323s should have gone off lease last December, I think it’s fair to say that no one actually knows for sure what the long term plan is for them.

AMD

Given that Northerns 323s should have gone off lease last December, I think it’s fair to say that no one actually knows for sure what the long term plan is for them.

You might want to start taking pictures of the 319s before they disappear.......

prod_pep

Established Member

It was previously mentioned in this post that Northern's 323s will go for refurb in May/June 2019. I suppose time will tell.

Andyh82

Established Member
I travelled on 158752 today. What era of refurbishment does this one have as it didn’t seem to be neither the old franchise’s standard nor anything I’d recognise as the current standard