• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam0984

Trains at external locations today at 6am
150220 and 156489 at Arriva Traincare Crewe
319431 and 323223 at KBRS Wolverton
142095 at Holbeck
156438 at KBRS Springburn
155345 and 158755 at Brodies Kilmarnock
158850 at Brush Loughborough
322483 at Bombardier Ilford (due back today)
150142 and 150203 at Wabtec Doncaster
150274 at Wabtec Scotland

mikemcniven

Trains at external locations today at 6am
150220 and 156489 at Arriva Traincare Crewe
319431 and 323223 at KBRS Wolverton
142095 at Holbeck
156438 at KBRS Springburn
155345 and 158755 at Brodies Kilmarnock
158850 at Brush Loughborough
322483 at Bombardier Ilford (due back today)
150142 and 150203 at Wabtec Doncaster
150274 at Wabtec Scotland

What's the 323 having done at Wolverton

Adam0984

Just says heavy exam C4. Think it's a regular thing that the 323 go there for big exams

Starmill

Veteran Member
Either they've ran out of the moquette or it's a temporary fix and they're waiting for new seats?

They haven't done the tables either- all prior 158s have had the TPE wood-effect tables replaced in the centre car, along with the original ones replaced in the driving cars, with new ones which are tapered more at the aisle-end to improve access.

Curiouser and curiouser...

I thought we had all agreed that where seat covers have not been changed but other substantial work has been done like painting and flooring, that means that the seating is to be replaced later?

This is how the ScotRail 156s were done (although I think a couple of those did have new seat covers, but one of them was the flooded one).

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I thought we had all agreed that where seat covers have not been changed but other substantial work has been done like painting and flooring, that means that the seating is to be replaced later?

This is how the ScotRail 156s were done (although I think a couple of those did have new seat covers, but one of them was the flooded one).

We had, but the most recent 158 had less done than the previous ones, so it's bound to be discussed as to why? Could have been a time issue or a supply issue, or something else. The Scotrail 156s were also done by Brodies I believe (the flooded one was, anyway) so perhaps that's just how they do things in Killie... ;)

M1544

I reckon that the Northern refurb spec has been changed part way through following feedback after the initial few units. Nobody seemed that impressed with the green handrails and re-covered existing seats on 158752/6/3/155346 and 150275.
Suspect that it's now been decided to retain the older seat covers until the new seats arrive for the 158s at least which is why recent refurb 158754 has its older seat covers retained along with the change to yellow handrails inside for refreshed units as per 156s.
Also noteworthy is that the early refits have white dado panels but this has been changed to dark blue on later refurbs along with dark blue endwalls which does look better.
Whether coincidence or not the blue dado panels and endwalls were first seen on 144e 144012 refurbished by Porterbrook! Doubtless some will disagree but the interior on 144012 still has more of a new wow factor than some of Northern's recent refurbs.

mikemcniven

I reckon that the Northern refurb spec has been changed part way through following feedback after the initial few units. Nobody seemed that impressed with the green handrails and re-covered existing seats on 158752/6/3/155346 and 150275.

It does seem that way. The change seemed to happened when they added the "by arriva" prefix below the northern name.

mikemcniven

Wonder where they will go then if London Midland doesn't want them?

That seems to be the question of the day, as WM Trains are replacing all trains on the Cross City line. Would be nice if some are retained by Northern and refurbished for use on the Hadfield/Glossop line as the 319's are exactly compatible with that line are they.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That seems to be the question of the day, as WM Trains are replacing all trains on the Cross City line. Would be nice if some are retained by Northern and refurbished for use on the Hadfield/Glossop line as the 319's are exactly compatible with that line are they.
I'd happily swap the unknown 331s on Airedale/Wharfedale for the 323s we were originally promised when the routes were wired (better late than never!)... there's enough of them to cover Leeds-York and Leeds-Huddersfield once that knitting is eventually done too.
#bringthe323shome ;)

M1544

Don't think it's been mentioned but 150276 is refurbished to similar spec as 158754 with blue dado panels, original seat covers with yellow handrails and seat tops, unlike 150275 which has green handrails and new moquette seat covers and white dado panels.
This adds weight to my earlier post about the change if refurb spec after the first few units.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Don't think it's been mentioned but 150276 is refurbished to similar spec as 158754 with blue dado panels, original seat covers with yellow handrails and seat tops, unlike 150275 which has green handrails and new moquette seat covers and white dado panels.
This adds weight to my earlier post about the change if refurb spec after the first few units.

I did indeed travel in this unit today and noticed all of the above. The old layout with the cupboard taking up half the vestibule was very annoying (275 did have this fixed though), but the new blue panels looked good!

I think that is what's going on.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I caught my first 'refurbished' 158 today.

A seating bay near the inner vestibule had been cleared and newly carpeted. This seems like a very sensible update for wheelchair users, those with buggies etc and looks a lot tidier than the missing tables etc that previously characterised this area.

As for the toilets, the flush lavatories had been replaced by vacuum examples, a completely unnecessary and counterproductive development, considering the previous toilets were already fitted with retention tanks. On the plus side, both loos were still in place, and the smaller cubicle still has the old door so presumably it can't lock itself out (which will at least allow privacy when I have to resort to bringing an empty 2L bottle on long journeys).

Unfortunately, whilst the toilets had been replaced unnecessarily, the hand-dryers, which have been pointless and unusable from the moment they were introduced in the early 1990's, remain untouched. At this point I had to wonder whether whoever specified this refurbishment was having a laugh.

Also, the soap dispensers now give out that dreadful foam, which I hate, rather than the lovely orangey smelling gel soap. So much for progress.

Still, the rest of the passenger saloon remained the same (albeit with a much cleaner carpet) so the essential 158 ambience remained unspoilt.

319383 seems to have emerged from Wolverton in the new livery, which seems to leave just 5 left in the Northern Electric scheme - 371/376/378/380/386.

Starmill

Veteran Member
With apologies for my earlier incorrect statements, it was indeed 150220 that I was on that has had no new seat covers or internal re-arrangement. 150 276 appears to be in the same state as 150275 as far as seat arrangement and the removal of the annoying internal walls goes.

Bovverboy

Established Member
156s I have seen in the new livery in recent days have included 156444/451/454/472. Sorry, at the moment I am unable to view the original list. 156488 has blue ends, but no lettering.

Geeves

Established Member
What a stupid name for a unit based on the right side of the Pennines!

Its based out of Newton Heath which in my eyes is the left side of the Pennines? Also it spends at least half of its time in Yorkshire so its not a stupid name really is it?

On Moderation
Its based out of Newton Heath which in my eyes is the left side of the Pennines? Also it spends at least half of its time in Yorkshire so its not a stupid name really is it?
Where's a "whoosh" smilie when you need it....

I assume the previous poster was using "right" as in correct (or better) rather than right/left. In other words Lancashire being superior to Yorkshire. Which is, of course, correct.

Established Member
Where's a "whoosh" smilie when you need it....

I assume the previous poster was using "right" as in correct (or better) rather than right/left. In other words Lancashire being superior to Yorkshire. Which is, of course, correct.
Indeed!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well, I'm sorry, but the refurbishment would have to be pretty rocking fantastic for me to approve because as far as I'm concerned, Northern is one of the country's worst companies to travel on, alongside ScotRail and London Midland.

Give me VT, VTEC or GWR any day. Or even the rather mediocre XC.

Holmevalley

They are fulfilling a totally different remit and as such do a decent job with the poor cards they were dealt with. Clearly a 142 on the east coast main line would be unsuitable but so would a HST on the Penistone line. Horses for courses. I know Guildford well from my working days, I stick with Huddersfield and their sprinters and pacers (for the time being)
Well, I'm sorry, but the refurbishment would have to be pretty rocking fantastic for me to approve because as far as I'm concerned, Northern is one of the country's worst companies to travel on, alongside ScotRail and London Midland.

Give me VT, VTEC or GWR any day. Or even the rather mediocre XC.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They are fulfilling a totally different remit and as such do a decent job with the poor cards they were dealt with. Clearly a 142 on the east coast main line would be unsuitable but so would a HST on the Penistone line. Horses for courses. I know Guildford well from my working days, I stick with Huddersfield and their sprinters and pacers (for the time being)

The refurbishment is a disappointment, even for units dedicated to regional services