• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Halish Railway

Established Member
Personally it'd make sense to retain them incase the other bog breaks and I think it'd be pointless taking the redundant cabs out of the /2's as a future franchise holder may wish to use them in the short term before replacing them.

Have the eight 150's that are to be reformed into hybrids been chosen yet?
I think that the ex GWR units will be on the list so that their introduction does not disrupt normal services. I think that 150 124 might be on the list.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Personally it'd make sense to retain them incase the other bog breaks and I think it'd be pointless taking the redundant cabs out of the /2's as a future franchise holder may wish to use them in the short term before replacing them.

Have the eight 150's that are to be reformed into hybrids been chosen yet?

The existing toilets will have to be removed, replaced or locked out-of-use even if a new accessible toilet is fitted in the same set. While the second toilet doesn't have to wheelchair accessible it would have to be a lot more like the second toilet on a 185 which still caters for passengers with sight issues, even though it's not a fully accessible toilet. Plus dumping waste on the track has will be banned from 1st Jan 2020.

Arriva Rail North have leased the 150s until 2025 (when they will be 40 years old.) I'd be surprised if any future operator makes long term plans for their use. Presumably if the redundant cabs are removed it'll be the 8 x 150/2s which are least reliable which get broken up to become centre cars.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is no practical difference between the small bog on a 350 (say) and that on a 150, other than some Braille stickers which is easy enough to do. The 185 appears to have a different design which is sort of a medium sized half way house, but this design is clearly not mandatory as it features only on 185s and 700s.

OK, there are the stupid automatic taps[1], but I can't see why those should be a requirement; just about everybody uses conventional taps at home, the only kind you see in adapted homes are the type with a larger lever on the tap for easier turning which are cheap enough.

The main reason to replace the bog is to avoid it dumping on the track.

[1] The most stupid of all of those are the ones on new Electrostars which mandate me to dump a "serving" of soap in the sink before I can turn the water on to clean my spectacles. Insane.

pemma

Veteran Member
There is no practical difference between the small bog on a 350 (say) and that on a 150, other than some Braille stickers which is easy enough to do. The 185 appears to have a different design which is sort of a medium sized half way house, but this design is clearly not mandatory as it features only on 185s and 700s.

Some non-PRM modified 150 toilets have floor based buttons you have to stand on to make the toilet flush or make water come out of the tap - I'm not sure that's allowed even in the second toilet.

OK, there are the stupid automatic taps[1], but I can't see why those should be a requirement; just about everybody uses conventional taps at home, the only kind you see in adapted homes are the type with a larger lever on the tap for easier turning which are cheap enough.

This kind of kitchen tap design is suitable for most, including those with arthritis: https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/images/silksteel-product-25430-gallery-TmAf-default-H.png Although, for a train toilet you wouldn't want such a big loop on the section the water comes through.

The most stupid of all of those are the ones on new Electrostars which mandate me to dump a "serving" of soap in the sink before I can turn the water on to clean my spectacles. Insane.

I had the same issue in a public toilet the other day. Something had splashed on my coat and I just wanted a bit of water to wash it off but the handwash machine doesn't allow you access to the water before it's given you some soap.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Some non-PRM modified 150 toilets have floor based buttons you have to stand on to make the toilet flush or make water come out of the tap - I'm not sure that's allowed even in the second toilet.

Possibly not, though it isn't a difficult thing to change, just "plainline" the valve in the foot tap (you wouldn't even need to remove it) and fit a regular tap to the sink. This was done to at least some Mk2s and Mk3s ages ago.

This kind of kitchen tap design is suitable for most, including those with arthritis: https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/images/silksteel-product-25430-gallery-TmAf-default-H.png Although, for a train toilet you wouldn't want such a big loop on the section the water comes through.

You'd also want a version of it that slowly turns itself off. I'd imagine that exists, though.

The tap you pictured is a kitchen tap, anyway; there will be a bathroom version with a smaller loop.

I had the same issue in a public toilet the other day. Something had splashed on my coat and I just wanted a bit of water to wash it off but the handwash machine doesn't allow you access to the water before it's given you some soap.

Yeah, it is really quite annoying.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Arriva Rail North have leased the 150s until 2025 (when they will be 40 years old.) I'd be surprised if any future operator makes long term plans for their use. Presumably if the redundant cabs are removed it'll be the 8 x 150/2s which are least reliable which get broken up to become centre cars.

I were thinking of private charter firms (or even the desperate DRS who want to get into the passenger market) may take them on and reforming them further into five or six car units, which might be ideal for the various events such as Christmas markets, airshows, balloon fiestas, music events, etc... which would provide enough space for everyone flocking to them. Which why I thought it'd be pointless taking the second bog out, even if a 150 ended up with two new PSVAR bogs - one would have to be ripped out rather than retaining it, as these new vacuum bogs aren't exactly top notch when it comes to trying to flush the things as the tanks are full.

Whoever takes over from Arriva Rail North may well use some of the decent 40 year old class 150s to run the parly services with whilst everyone else gets the 'new' stuff.

Established Member
A posting on Facebook says 155347 is heading to Kilmarnock now, so presumably 155345 is on its way back to Neville Hill.

brel york

Porter brook 150s have controlled emission tanks fitted with the new toilet , the angel ones don’t yet but it’s getting fitted

I were thinking of private charter firms (or even the desperate DRS who want to get into the passenger market) may take them on and reforming them further into five or six car units, which might be ideal for the various events such as Christmas markets, airshows, balloon fiestas, music events, etc... which would provide enough space for everyone flocking to them. Which why I thought it'd be pointless taking the second bog out, even if a 150 ended up with two new PSVAR bogs - one would have to be ripped out rather than retaining it, as these new vacuum bogs aren't exactly top notch when it comes to trying to flush the things as the tanks are full.

Whoever takes over from Arriva Rail North may well use some of the decent 40 year old class 150s to run the parly services with whilst everyone else gets the 'new' stuff.
The button on the floor uses a vacuum to push water to the tap , it’s a length of plastic pipe from the floor up to a tap in the cupboard , this pushes water out of the tap at the sink

brel york

The button on the floor uses a vacuum to push water to the tap , it’s a length of plastic pipe from the floor up to a tap in the cupboard , this pushes water out of the tap at the sink
The porter brook 150 have **** tanks fitted , the angel ones don’t yet but it’s coming

M1544

it deffo had Led tail lights as I saw it aswell. Had yellow topped seat handles but couldn’t tell what moquette was on them.

boeing737229

The original version didn’t use the colours from the Arriva style guide.
Surely the ARRIVA Turquoise fitted in better than yellow!
The new uniforms use Arriva turquoise, so itd make sense for the handrails etc to all be in Arriva turquoise too

ash39

Established Member
I believe 124 is also with Northern, but it's gone to Crewe, presumably for mods & repaint?

Does anyone know if there's any chance of the any of the ex-GWR 150's being pressed into service in current condition, or is the plan for them all to be 'Northernised' before service entry?

sd0733

Established Member
150222 was sitting on Newton Heath last night looking very shiny In new Northern livery
150122 and 102 newly arrived from GWR were round the back visible from the tram still with full FGW branding

brel york

I believe 124 is also with Northern, but it's gone to Crewe, presumably for mods & repaint?

Does anyone know if there's any chance of the any of the ex-GWR 150's being pressed into service in current condition, or is the plan for them all to be 'Northernised' before service entry?
102 is due at Doncaster on the 18 dec for prm mods & corrosion