• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Geeves

Established Member
I'm off but going through my emails there has been a serious amount of short formed services not to mention various demics which is probably the reason why the FGW 150 is out.

As for the Connect livery it has to be remembered that not every service that runs under the "connect" banner will be a 195 or 331 so it would only end up confusing the passengers. I don't think there will be any specific connect branding except for on the screens perhaps. Just noticed JCollins post. So yes expect anything to turn up on a connect service. This is Northern after all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
156 463 went up there a couple of mounts ago and nothing was done internally so I doubt that it is a refurb.

At this stage, the primary focus is to ensure all of the units which are being retained post December 31st 2019 are PRM compliant.

Just to clarify, 156448 has not had a compliant toilet module fitted yet, so I think it's safe to say it's going to Springburn for PRM modifications rather than an internal refresh.

Chester1

Established Member
Not 100% sure this is the right place to post but I was on 150122 today, it's on the Preston to Hazel Grove service. It hasn't had PRM mod's yet, still in FGW interior, plain blue outside, the only sign of Northern is the "Customer infomation" poster.

A view of it stopped at Hazel Grove
Northern 150122 by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

A view internally towards the facilities

Inside 150122
by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

The only sign of Northern in the passenger area

Inside 150122
by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

I saw it today at Stockport station on the way to Hazel Grove and it was working with a pacer again. It is good to finally see extra units in service.

pemma

Veteran Member
I think it was for a short while, being transferred to Scotrail in 2008?

All 8 of the 158s transferring used to be leased by the old Northern franchise before Northern were forced to sublease them to Scotrail until their lease ended and then Scotrail agreed a new one directly with Angel.

I thought the 170s were supposed to arrive first though.

stu99

All 8 of the 158s transferring used to be leased by the old Northern franchise before Northern were forced to sublease them to Scotrail until their lease ended and then Scotrail agreed a new one directly with Angel.

Yes so did I, but did hear on facebook and somewhere on here about 2 158s being released because of the electrification and the introduction of the few 380s, wonder if anything will be done to them before entering traffic with Northern?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Well given the livery on photos of the CAF units look the same I doubt it. On the Northern Website there is Northern Connect logo which one would assume they will get..

Also the Northern franchise agreement mentions that Connect standard units will be used on non-Connect routes and that all the 158s will be refurbished to Connect standard, not just a batch reserved for Connect routes.

I'm off but going through my emails there has been a serious amount of short formed services not to mention various demics which is probably the reason why the FGW 150 is out.

As for the Connect livery it has to be remembered that not every service that runs under the "connect" banner will be a 195 or 331 so it would only end up confusing the passengers. I don't think there will be any specific connect branding except for on the screens perhaps. Just noticed JCollins post. So yes expect anything to turn up on a connect service. This is Northern after all.
Well, I suppose "distinct branding" is open to interpretation then...

I'm relieved they've not gone down the "wackaging" route though, unlike Virgin where one can't even take a dump without having a quirky pun waved in one's face!

Are you sure about the Ex-SWT pair, 786/789? I thought they went into store at Eastleigh once done with SWT and then went direct to Scotland after a few weeks/months in early 2007. They may have been on loan at first and eventually destined for Northern, but I can't recall them actually working for them, unlike the others. 10 years now, memory a bit hazy!

superkev

Established Member
Yes so did I, but did hear on facebook and somewhere on here about 2 158s being released because of the electrification and the introduction of the few 380s, wonder if anything will be done to them before entering traffic with Northern?
According to 507021's list all 8 have already had prm mods.
K

pemma

Veteran Member
Are you sure about the Ex-SWT pair, 786/789? I thought they went into store at Eastleigh once done with SWT and then went direct to Scotland after a few weeks/months in early 2007. They may have been on loan at first and eventually destined for Northern, but I can't recall them actually working for them, unlike the others. 10 years now, memory a bit hazy!

Yes I said they all used to be leased by Northern, not they were all used by Northern.

pemma

Veteran Member
Well, I suppose "distinct branding" is open to interpretation then...

I'm relieved they've not gone down the "wackaging" route though, unlike Virgin where one can't even take a dump without having a quirky pun waved in one's face!

Are you sure it's not distinct branding for Northern Connect stations?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
So another step towards longer trains in the Manchester area with the units off FGW... Most of my ex-fellow commuters don't really care for the train type, long as it's Sprinter not Pacer; they'd just rather see 2 more carriages added to the current 2-car peak services!

brel york

Bizarrely no , we powder coat the grab handles lilac then they get powder coated yellow , we do the flooring after the corrosion

brel york

124 went straight from us to Crewe for refurb yet we had done paint repairs and other interior work knowing it was getting redone as soon as it left , this is the nonsense of the modern railway