• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

setdown

Currently sat in car 1 of refurbished 156427+156402. The internal door to the second carriage is locked shut, and the emergency red handle doesn’t appear to open it either, as witnessed on boarding! Isn’t that breaching some sort of fire safety reg, it’ll make escaping this carriage a lot more difficult if needed!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Currently sat in car 1 of refurbished 156427+156402. The internal door to the second carriage is locked shut, and the emergency red handle doesn’t appear to open it either, as witnessed on boarding! Isn’t that breaching some sort of fire safety reg, it’ll make escaping this carriage a lot more difficult if needed!
No, as long as all the doors are functional on your carriage. Bit odd. Have you told someone?

skyhigh

Established Member
Is the next carriage locked out of use for some reason?

jonnyfan

No, as long as all the doors are functional on your carriage. Bit odd. Have you told someone?
Those units look to be on the mid Cheshire line, so the method of work is to lock the rear carriage out when running a 4 carriage formation due to short platforms on the route.

setdown

No all the doors aren’t in use, the external door next to the locked internal door has a “not in use” sign over the buttons. No carriages locked out of use either! All seems a bit odd as we also just had to pull forwards at knutsford as we stopped short. Eventful!

Those units look to be on the mid Cheshire line, so the method of work is to lock the rear carriage out when running a 4 carriage formation due to short platforms on the route.
The door from the first carriage to second carriage is locked.

Dspatula

I noticed 323225 had usb ports yesterday it's the first time I remember seeing a 323 with them or have others been done as well?

jh1989

Speaking of the information system, my Northern train today played a pre-recorded announcement which said "Passengers which have just joined the train, welcome aboard. Please have your ticket and railcards ready for inspection. If you have a mobile ticket, can you please make sure it is activated. Thank you." -- I've never heard that before. Does the system now do it automatically at specific points, or does it have to be triggered manually by the guard?

No, it's played manually by the guard. There's one which is something like "Can all passengers please have tickets and railcards..." and the more pleasant "To those passengers just joining the train, welcome aboard. Please can you have tickets..." that you mention. There's one about checking you have a valid Northern ticket too.

There's some delay message in there as well (under 15 mins, and over 15 mins with info on delay repay), but again, it has to be manually selected.

jonesy3001

Established Member
156401 was on this run, now in northern colours,
156415 going the other way,

BPN2022

Sorry I meant in Northern livery but operating for EMR. 401/415 are the other way round aren’t they.

Although just realised this is probably best for the other thread about EMR 156s!

Sorry I meant in Northern livery but operating for EMR. 401/415 are the other way round aren’t they.

Although just realised this is probably best for the other thread about EMR 156s!
156418/419/422 are all in Northern livery but operating with EMR with EMR regional logos. HTH

Agent_Squash

Established Member
I didn’t realise Northern had started refitting 156s with ironing boards!

156485 with full ironing boards seen today.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I think 156485 might be a one-off - an ex-Scotrail unit which had new seats installed before transferring. (All Scotrail 156s have ironing boards).

skyhigh

Established Member
I didn’t realise Northern had started refitting 156s with ironing boards!

156485 with full ironing boards seen today.
They haven't. The non-standard seats on ex-Scotrail 156s were replaced during refurb - no new conversions are being done.

I think 156485 might be a one-off - an ex-Scotrail unit which had new seats installed before transferring. (All Scotrail 156s have ironing boards).
Close, it was done by Northern during their refurb of the ex-Scotrail units.

Rick1984

The last Northern 156 I was on had terrible legroom and the tray table banged off your knees! I'd much rather have an iron board

py_megapixel

Established Member
For anybody interested, these are the USB ports fitted on 323225.
Yes, I believe they are essentially the same things as on the Sprinters, but with that extra grey plastic moulding behind to make them fit properly on the slightly curved walls (and possibly hold some of the electrical bits).

JModulo

Those look similar to the ones fitted to many modern buses. That makes sense given that those are proven in a transport environment.
They are exactly the same, been fitting them to buses for many years and the only fault that seemed to happen was the blue light would go out (but the unit would still be working).

diligentdave

They haven't. The non-standard seats on ex-Scotrail 156s were replaced during refurb - no new conversions are being done.

Close, it was done by Northern during their refurb of the ex-Scotrail units.
They're on the list to get moquette fitted.