• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

simon7929

Does anybody know of 156478 is due to move to Wolverton anytime soon? Heard a rumour it was destined to arrive there in the next week or so? Thanks in advance.

simon7929

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned anywhere else but 323208 has finally been out in service with Northern since Monday. Currently on the Hadfield line. Still in unbranded WMR livery.

reecestrains

Well this is interesting, 331107 is out tonight until nearly 2am. Currently doing the 23:22 Blackpool North-Manchester Airport service and then the 01:17 Manchester Airport-Manchester Piccadilly as an STP schedule.

That unit is kind of having a night out tonight! Apparently it's due to engineering works between Crewe and Manchester where the 323's would normally run.

Even though no unit is shown here, it is 107 as it's showing on the 23:22 Blackpool North-Manchester Airport.

I was just reading about the train that caught fire between Wigan Wallgate and Headbolt Lane... Does anyone know which units were affected by it?
Thanks

Last edited:

reecestrains

Couple things I'll mention about the Northern Turbostars:

I was on 170456 in one of the declassified first class areas from ScotRail, and I noticed one of the older PIS screens were still up there although not functioning from when they fitted TrainFX.

Also, on 170476, it seems they've changed the light deflectors to allow the lights to be a bit brighter. For those who didn't know, the lights used to be warm white on that unit.

Harvey B

I was on 170456 in one of the declassified first class areas from ScotRail, and I noticed one of the older PIS screens were still up there although not functioning from when they fitted TrainFX.
457 also has an old Bombardier PIS display in one of the old First class sections. Does anyone know why Some of the old Bombardier screens were left in?

Last edited:

sbrignall72

457 also has an old Bombardier PIS display in one of the old First class sections. Does anyone know why Some of the old Bombardier screens were left in?
Does anyone know when 170473 is due back from Crewe, I believe it went just before Christmas. MTIA

ThePeakNed

Regarding the 156s I understand there's 3 different seating types but the ones I see or board in the Manchester area all have the same seating type. Is this because the ones with the alternative seating types are allocated elsewhere?
Richmond (Ex-ATN units), Chapman (Ex-FNW / Ex-EMR units) and Fainsa (Ex-SR units).

156s in greater Manchester are, more often than not, ex-FNW units. You only tend to find an ex-ATN/SR in Manchester if it's been at Newton Heath for whatever reason. Usually they spend a majority of their time at Heaton (working routes out of Newcastle and Carlisle).

Last edited:

diligentdave

It wentnto Central Rivers for possibly a bogie change then went to Crewe carriage sidings after that
Currently due out of ATC Crewe round about the 31st Jan.

Richmond (Ex-ATN units), Chapman (Ex-FNW / Ex-EMR units) and Fainsa (Ex-SR units).

156s in greater Manchester are, more often than not, ex-FNW units. You only tend to find an ex-ATN/SR in Manchester if it's been at Newton Heath for whatever reason. Usually they spend a majority of their time at Heaton (working routes out of Newcastle and Carlisle).
All North West 156's (those allocated to Newton Heath) are owned by Porterbrook, these all have Richmond seating. The Angel 156's (out of Heaton) mostly are all Chapman with the exception the ex-ASR 5 which all have Fainsa.

The ex-GA & ex-EMR units that came across also have Richmond (I stand to be corrected, they're such a mixed bag of units I cannot remember).

Last edited:

ThePeakNed

All North West 156's (those allocated to Newton Heath) are owned by Porterbrook, these all have Richmond seating. The Angel 156's (out of Heaton) mostly are all Chapman with the exception the ex-ASR 5 which all have Fainsa.

The ex-GA & ex-EMR units that came across also have Richmond (I stand to be corrected, they're such a mixed bag of units I cannot remember).
Other way round.

Porterbrook are Chapman, Angel are Richmond.

Ex-GA and Ex-EMR units are all Chapman.

simon7929

All the ex ATN (Angel leased units) with Richmond seats are based at Heaton. These being, 156 438/43/4/8/51/4/63/8-9/71-2/75/79-84/86-91. In addition Heaton also have five ex ScotRail units, 156 447/9/65/85 and 96 that are also leased by Angel. These have the new style seats fitted to a lot of new rolling stock. Also based at Heaton are two ex FNW units that are Porterbrook leased and have Chapman seats. These are 156 421/40. And last but not least are two ex EMR units which also have Chapman seats. I'm not sure but think these are also leased by Porterbrook. These sets are 156 416 and 417. All other Northern 156s are based at Newton Heath.

Last edited:

reecestrains

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye out and see if anything comes up for 170473 to get back to Leeds, York, Harrogate or Hull.

sbrignall72

Dave, thanks for the info on 170473, much appreciated as always.