• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NorthernRail Trainee drivers 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mr double 77

Just because one person has had a interview date don't be giving up, I too had the email regarding due too high demand it's taking time , no news is bad news I can say this as applied for Manchester picc failed interview , one month later recieved a email to attend interview for man Victoria passed that and then did stage 1 assessment unfortunately failed mechanical but got good passes on GBT and TRP Parts 1+2 the three tests there keeping, so all I can say is keep trying even if you do fail this time around, fingers crossed for all of you as I have mine crossed every day, I'm fortunate enough to be in a great job as driver with Metrolink, fortune favours the brave, be positive

bassethound77

Just because one person has had a interview date don't be giving up, I too had the email regarding due too high demand it's taking time , no news is bad news I can say this as applied for Manchester picc failed interview , one month later recieved a email to attend interview for man Victoria passed that and then did stage 1 assessment unfortunately failed mechanical but got good passes on GBT and TRP Parts 1+2 the three tests there keeping, so all I can say is keep trying even if you do fail this time around, fingers crossed for all of you as I have mine crossed every day, I'm fortunate enough to be in a great job as driver with Metrolink, fortune favours the brave, be positive

Thanks for that, ive had my fingers crossed for some time now. I've wanted to be a driver for ages now but does it matter ive had nosafety critical experience?

Last edited:

Louby

Just because one person has had a interview date don't be giving up, I too had the email regarding due too high demand it's taking time , no news is bad news I can say this as applied for Manchester picc failed interview , one month later recieved a email to attend interview for man Victoria passed that and then did stage 1 assessment unfortunately failed mechanical but got good passes on GBT and TRP Parts 1+2 the three tests there keeping, so all I can say is keep trying even if you do fail this time around, fingers crossed for all of you as I have mine crossed every day, I'm fortunate enough to be in a great job as driver with Metrolink, fortune favours the brave, be positive[/QUOTE

It does take time, this is my 2nd attempt at northern , passed app stage with first Pennines but they then filled the job , my main concern was my age (41 ) but having read a lot on here that doesn't concern me now, ill get there as this is what I want to do
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I also read that if you come from one of the following backgrounds it helps , is this correct?
Police
Fire
Army
Bus driver

ash39

Established Member
Without wanting to disappoint anyone, I think if you haven't heard yet for the Leeds job it'll be a no this time, as the interviews are this week with assessments the week after if successful.

I've been knocked back at the initial sift (first time), then knocked back at the online test (twice), but this time I've got an interview, and I certainly don't expect to get the job at this stage, but at least I'm getting a bit further each time. It's taken two years just to get an interview but I see that as an achievement in itself considering the numbers that apply!

Keep at it, if you want it enough eventually you'll get in. (I keep telling myself!)

Bubba

Not yet. Passed the online test filter and now waiting to hear if I have made it to the next stage.

ash39

Established Member
Did anyone else have interviews today?

By my reckoning they are interviewing all week, and there are 3 panels interviewing. Allowing an hour for each candidate and a few cancellations, that's around 100 candidates to fill six January places.

I feel I did ok, but no contact yet makes me think I probably haven't been successful this time. The assessment is next Tuesday and I expect they'd send the info through asap for the ones that are going. It's their investment after all.
Scrap that, just got an email. Through to assessment. Better get practicing!

ash39

Established Member
They're usually good at getting back to people so that's surprising. Have you checked all spam boxes etc?

Good news is if you do get an interview, the process is great. Lovely hotel and the interviewers really put you at ease. I still thought I hadn't got through but that was just because of the amount of competition. As long as you've passed the paper sift keep trying! It's taken me almost 2 years to get to assessment stage.

Louby

They're usually good at getting back to people so that's surprising. Have you checked all spam boxes etc?

Good news is if you do get an interview, the process is great. Lovely hotel and the interviewers really put you at ease. I still thought I hadn't got through but that was just because of the amount of competition. As long as you've passed the paper sift keep trying! It's taken me almost 2 years to get to assessment stage.

They are good at letting you know but we haven't heard anything as of yet, I let myself down on the app but I know where I went wrong, but its only the 2 Nd time I have applied, just have to keep an eye on the dates for email alerts as mine expired, the Leeds job I had an hour to apply as just checked on the off chance :|

mr double 77

Not sure if it is preferred regarding Army Police etc, but can't do any harm I spent 7 yrs in the Army also have 5 years bus driver now tram driver, and as you can see from previous posts it hasn't hindered me atall

bassethound77

Honestly I think I did really well I love that sort of thing. How about you. Just checked my northern rail account as well and it says nothing different either. I'm well confused.

Louby

Honestly I think I did really well I love that sort of thing. How about you. Just checked my northern rail account as well and it says nothing different either. I'm well confused.

I completed 65 and on looking on here I think I've done ok, keep checking mine but nothing, just want to know either way

bassethound77

Could they be interviewing and assessing in 2 halves or am I clutching at straws here. They did say there was a lot of applicants to sift through??? Think I got 61in the online test but that was when I went for the hull vacancy a few months ago which got withdrawn.

ash39

Established Member
I wouldn't have thought they'd be interviewing in two batches for the January positions for obvious reasons. Have you tried contacting Northern at all? Seems odd that so many haven't heard back. Is anyone else lurking on this thread through to the assessment stage? I'd have expected a couple at least based on previous times.

ash39

Established Member
I can't remember now, I don't think I got a score unless I missed something.

Actually, I might have done a different test to you guys, as I bypassed the test on this application as I'd passed it within a certain period previously.

Withnailandi

I got conductor job. Same visual online test which is used as a sift . Also if people fail this test then I don't think they would have much chance with assessment day. Conductor assessment with a bit of practice, then you should be OK. Speaking with drivers they often tell me that one day you would pass and the next day you would fail. All depends on the day. Over 50 on the visual and you should be fine, IMO.

Louby

Well we are waiting to see if they do another sift for interviews, one of the guys rang today, if they haven't got what they need from this sift then they will do another, hence why we haven't heard anything, fingers crossed people x
Well we are waiting to see if they do another sift for interviews, one of the guys rang today, if they haven't got what they need from this sift then they will do another, hence why we haven't heard anything, fingers crossed people x

Leeds are looking for more roles early next year hence why we haven't heard, this years sift has been completed ( rang hr this morning), I have withdrawn my app and re applied for man vic as you can't have 2 apps on the go at the same time ( yes I was honest!) the online assessment score lasts for 12 months so no need to re sit... Man vic app has gone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.