• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern's Great Escape!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
Unfortunately living in Warrington its almost impossible to get there and back in a day, I dont think its possible on a Saturday when there are no time restrictions.

It is possible, with 25 minutes in Newcastle - and a reasonably brisk walk from Oxford Road to Victoria.

I wouldn't do it myself, though!

tony_mac

Established Member
It's a bit insane.....
Code:
06:58	Warrington Central [WAC] 
Manchester Oxford Road [MCO]	07:37	

08:00	 Manchester Victoria [MCV]
Leeds [LDS]	09:32

09:47	 Leeds [LDS]		
Carlisle [CAR]	12:17

12:28	 Carlisle [CAR]
Newcastle [NCL]	13:59	

14:24	 Newcastle [NCL]
Carlisle [CAR]	15:57	

16:18	 Carlisle [CAR]		
Leeds [LDS]	19:07

19:37	 Leeds [LDS]
Manchester Victoria [MCV]	21:14

21:44	 Manchester Oxford Road [MCO]		
Warrington Central [WAC]	22:20

Changing at Skipton and Bradford on the return is also possible, this gives you more time to wait in Manchester.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
I did one of these last time around and made the rookie mistake of assuming a MIA to BPN service was run by Northern. I then did BPS to Blackburn which was a nice ride on a 142 (don't get many of those in London) followed by a visit to Clitheroe then down to Manchester for a nice trip to London on a Pendo. Quite nice to see somewhere different!

34D

Established Member
Just printed off the application form and I noticed at the bottom of the form this, obviously using last years form.

Northern Rail and Johnston Press Flat Fare offer Terms and Conditions

Start date: Monday 31 October 2011
End date: Saturday 26 November 2011
Valid every day for the duration of this offer
Time restriction: not valid on trains timed to depart before 0900 Mondays to Fridays - valid all times at weekends and Bank Holidays
Price: Adult £10.00 each / Child £5.00 each – no further discounts available

So is it valid for 26 days?

Crossover

Established Member
Anny newspapers in the Midlands for this offer? i wouldn't mind geetting an Northern £10.00 Ticket to travel oon the Settle and Carlisle

Doubtful :(

Unless you can pick up any of the "Northern" papers down there, I guess there is a chance.

I keep swapping and changing my mind as to where to go - current favourite is a trip to sunny(!) Blackpool lol

It's a bit insane.....
Code:
06:58	Warrington Central [WAC] 
Manchester Oxford Road [MCO]	07:37	

08:00	 Manchester Victoria [MCV]
Leeds [LDS]	09:32

09:47	 Leeds [LDS]		
Carlisle [CAR]	12:17

12:28	 Carlisle [CAR]
Newcastle [NCL]	13:59	

14:24	 Newcastle [NCL]
Carlisle [CAR]	15:57	

16:18	 Carlisle [CAR]		
Leeds [LDS]	19:07

19:37	 Leeds [LDS]
Manchester Victoria [MCV]	21:14

21:44	 Manchester Oxford Road [MCO]		
Warrington Central [WAC]	22:20

Changing at Skipton and Bradford on the return is also possible, this gives you more time to wait in Manchester.

Thanks for that Tony, I like train travel but that is a bit much for one day, if I were younger maybe but being an old man no thanks, leave it for the youngsters. :lol:

theblackwatch

Established Member
I notice that despite the offer saying "Completed and signed application forms are valid to buy up to four Northern Rail Day Ranger tickets (must include a minimum of one adult ticket)" there is only room to put in one date for travel. Presumably Northern intend you to buy four tickets for the same day, rather than for travel on four separate days which, looking at the wording, is perfectly within the terms.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
a nice ride on a 142

Surely that's an oxymoron? ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I notice that despite the offer saying "Completed and signed application forms are valid to buy up to four Northern Rail Day Ranger tickets (must include a minimum of one adult ticket)" there is only room to put in one date for travel. Presumably Northern intend you to buy four tickets for the same day, rather than for travel on four separate days which, looking at the wording, is perfectly within the terms.

I had a similar argument at Leeds booking office when they ran the promo last year and the ticket clerk was quite adamant that you had to collect 2 tokens and fill in an application form for each day you wanted to travel. One completed application form only allows you to buy up to 4 tickets for one day.

blackfive460

Don't bother buying Scarborough Evening News today. No sign of a token but you can get a free bottle of milk...

Wath Yard

That's not what the Terms say or even imply as far as I can see, even if that is Northern's intention.

Northern's intention is very clear regardless of the specific wording in the T&C's. People trying to take advantage of poorly worded T&C's is only going to lead Northern to think the offer is more bother than it's worth and therefore reduce the likelihood of it being repeated.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Trying to buy 4 tickets when it says you can buy 4 is hardly 'taking advantage'! :| Which bit makes it very clear, other than a pdf you don't get to until after you have registered?

lyesbkz

There seems to be some unnecessary confusion here.

My opinion is:
  • "Taking advantage" would be trying to buy 4 tickets for different days, using one set of tokens
  • One is supposed to be able to buy tickets for up to 4 people for the same day and this is not taking advantage of anything
  • The details of the offer are pretty clear to anybody who isn't trying to be pedantic about the specific wording

sheff1

Established Member
My opinion is:
[*]The details of the offer are pretty clear to anybody who isn't trying to be pedantic about the specific wording

Well they were not clear to me and, as no one has answered post #11, I am still none the wiser.

Crossover

Established Member
I'm afraid I have to agree with the majority seemingly and say that I read the T&C's as being able to buy 4 separate tickets for separate days (which made me briefly quite happy!) - the only thing that may suggest to the contrary is that is says one must be an adult, which may suggest they have to be for the same day.

I personally feel that all that is needed is an extra detail in the T&C's on the site to make it clear that the tickets for one set of tokens have to be for one day, for up to 4 people. It isn't really that difficult to do, wouldn't cause Northern any hassle and would actually cause them less hassle in running the promotion as it would be clear, whereas at the moment I can understand how some people may present one form and one set of tokens and expect they can get 4 tickets for different days

lyesbkz

well they were not clear to me and, as no one has answered post #11, i am still none the wiser.

point 5 of the t&cs reads - 'price: Adult £10.00 each'.

But the ticket shown at the top of the page is priced at £10 'for up to 4 passengers'.

So, if 3 people are travelling will it cost £10 or £30 ?

£30 :|

They aren't deliberately making it unclear.

lyesbkz

I absolutely agree that it's not as clear as it should be. However I had no problems understanding what they meant the first time that I read it (perhaps I'm just too cynical :p )

trainfanatic

Apparently you can buy these tickets at any station not necessarily staffed by NR staff. For example, I can buy this ticket at Lincoln, which is an EMT station but served by NR.

The nearest place that stocks the Yorkshire post is also Lincoln, so maybe a bus trip up there over the next few days.

I'm going to use it for a trip on the Settle & Carlisle line end March as I already have advance singles from here to Skipton and back....

Apparently you can buy these tickets at any station not necessarily staffed by NR staff. For example, I can buy this ticket at Lincoln, which is an EMT station but served by NR.

The nearest place that stocks the Yorkshire post is also Lincoln, so maybe a bus trip up there over the next few days.

I'm going to use it for a trip on the Settle & Carlisle line end March as I already have advance singles from here to Skipton and back....

If you don't live near an outlet for the newspapers you can buy them directly from the distributors, do a web search for the head office of the relevant newspaper. I don't live near to an outlet for the Lancashire Evening Post but when this offer was on last year I simply ordered them over the phone and asked for the relevant back copies to obtain the vouchers, so simple

redthunder

Well Im so glad Ive found this post, glad to see an operator day ticket in the north at last, looks like im buying the evening post for the next couple of days then :) :)

lyesbkz

Well Im so glad Ive found this post, glad to see an operator day ticket in the north at last, looks like im buying the evening post for the next couple of days then :) :)

Or just two on the same day ;)

(tbh I only think of this because I don't actually read the papers, and it has just occurred to me that you might appreciate having two different newspapers to read :P )

blackfive460

With all this discussion about T&C not being clear (though I thought it was clear enough) I feel I have to ask; has anyone bothered to email Northern to ask them to make them clearer on the web site?
I emailed them the other day concerning the list of newspapers changing depending on whether you were logged in or not and they fixed that the same day. I'm sure if you ask, they'll fix it...

Established Member
Or just two on the same day ;)

(tbh I only think of this because I don't actually read the papers, and it has just occurred to me that you might appreciate having two different newspapers to read :P )

TBF I did this once as it was the last day and I needed two tokens (although I bought the papers at two separate shops to not look like a fool).

Status
Not open for further replies.