• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northumberland Line to be re-opened to passengers

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think from one of the early project documents the loops were put in to allow the freight to run otherwise it would be a struggle to do a 1/2 hourly service plus the freight.
The 2019 scoping report for planning, back when it was intended to be built in four phases, had a loop around the single platform Seaton Delaval station, so that was definitely for freight only, and also loads of explanations about why the various track changes were exactly where they were, then the successor report in 2020 dropped all mention of track layouts, but clearly what has become the Seghill loop was a slight change because it was moved slightly further south and away from the station. I suspect the full extent of the track doubling further south of Newsham, as far as Red House Farm, might have been a late change as well, but it’s difficult to pin down exact distances from earlier reports.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Video is out, has a decent bit of discussion as well as a look at one of the stations under construction
Thanks for the link, I’d been looking out for it for a few days…

New news (I think) is that there’s an explanation in the video of how the fares will be integrated with the existing Metro, with the northernmost section being in a new Zone D. Probably makes more sense to a local user when he mentions Pop cards etc…

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
I watched it with the automatically-generated subtitles switched on. I liked the reference to the "tiny we metro". From now on I'll think of it as the Tiny Wee Metro.

Gwr12345

Might be an obvious answer, but is Heaton getting any more physical trains for the Northumberland line, or are 158s being taken off other routes in the Northeast?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there an actual (re-)opening date for the line?
“Summer 2024” for the first three stations, as per post #808. Ashington, Newsham and Seaton Delaval.
Calling times are showing in RTT, although services are still only “runs as required” at this time.

Class 170101

Established Member
“Summer 2024” for the first three stations, as per post #808. Ashington, Newsham and Seaton Delaval.
Calling times are showing in RTT, although services are still only “runs as required” at this time.

:E So perhaps I shouldn't pin my hopes too much.

To quote Roger Ford
'Never Trust a forecast based on the seasons' :E

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Which of the first three stations due to open first is the most further advanced in its construction and were any of them rebuilt on the same station sites as those of the original station?
Ashington is furthest advanced, but is on a short siding and close to but not quite on its original site. Newsham is a new location, and Seaton Delaval is a bit further south than previously.

I think of the next 3 stations only Bedlington is exactly on the original site, but it was only a single up side platform when last open.

H&I

I am glad to see this line reopen to passengers after 60 years. Is there a reason why the service is a Northern one rather than the line being made part of the Tyne and Wear Metro?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I am glad to see this line reopen to passengers after 60 years. Is there a reason why the service is a Northern one rather than the line being made part of the Tyne and Wear Metro?
A Metro extension was ruled out early on, it was thought that running times from Ashington would be excessive, in fact this question iwas discussed on the first pages of this thread. Metro units couldn’t run on the ECML from Benton Junction, they’d have to run via South Gosforth and Jesmond, in amongst all stations stoppers.

H&I

A Metro extension was ruled out early on, it was thought that running times from Ashington would be excessive, in fact this question iwas discussed on the first pages of this thread. Metro units couldn’t run on the ECML from Benton Junction, they’d have to run via South Gosforth and Jesmond, in amongst all stations stoppers.
Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Regardless of the choice for heavy rail over light rail technology, is there a reason why the service is branded as Northern rather than as a Tyne and Wear Metro service? Perhaps the branding could be as a metro line even if Northern operate the trains. I ask this as a new fare zone is being created to include stations on the line.

wilbers

With the stations added to the fare zones it makes it look likely that at some point in the future that the Metro Centre could also be added.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Regardless of the choice for heavy rail over light rail technology, is there a reason why the service is branded as Northern rather than as a Tyne and Wear Metro service? Perhaps the branding could be as a metro line even if Northern operate the trains. I ask this as a new fare zone is being created to include stations on the line.

1) its not metro frequency
2) T&W havent paid for it.

androdas

With the stations added to the fare zones it makes it look likely that at some point in the future that the Metro Centre could also be added.
It would make sense, with the combined authority and its associated Mayor coming soon which I beleive will be leading on transport policy. Maybe also include Cramlington and Morpeth in there in the same zones as Seaton Delaval and Ashington respectively.

themiller

And 3) a 158 is nothing like a metro train because of its end doors slowing down passenger embarkation and disembarkation.

sjm77

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Regardless of the choice for heavy rail over light rail technology, is there a reason why the service is branded as Northern rather than as a Tyne and Wear Metro service?
Also, the funding is from Northumberland County Council which does not 'own' or run the Metro.

With Regards to the new combined authority I too hope that they add Metro Centre and other stations to the the T&W Metro fare zones. They cannot say 'it's too difficult' when it has been done before!

Last edited:

H&I

Also, the funding is from Northumberland County Council which does not 'own' or run the Metro.

With Regards to the new combined authority I too hope that they add Metro Centre and other stations to the the T&W Metro. They cannot say 'it's too difficult' when it has been done before!

I wonder if something similar to the “City Line” brand on the Merseyrail network can be achieved here.

vic-rijrode

With Regards to the new combined authority I too hope that they add Metro Centre and other stations to the the T&W Metro. They cannot say 'it's too difficult' when it has been done before!
How would "adding the Metro Centre and other stations to the T & W Metro" actually be accomplished though? When the former electrified loop line from Newcastle to the coast was incorporated into the Metro, there was a significant amount of tunneling under Newcastle City Centre and Gateshead needed to connect the lines north and south of the Tyne without going through Central Station - not to mention the 6 new underground stations.

For example, the only line that connects the Metro Centre currently to Newcastle is the surface line through Dunston. There would need to be more tunneling to conect this to the Metro, close to or at Gateshead Metro station presumably. Regardless of difficulty - not very cheap...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How would "adding the Metro Centre and other stations to the T & W Metro" actually be accomplished though? When the former electrified loop line from Newcastle to the coast was incorporated into the Metro, there was a significant amount of tunneling under Newcastle City Centre and Gateshead needed to connect the lines north and south of the Tyne without going through Central Station - not to mention the 7 new underground stations.

For example, the only line that connects the Metro Centre currently to Newcastle is the surface line through Dunston. There would need to be more tunneling to conect this to the Metro, close to or at Gateshead Metro station presumably. Regardless of difficulty - not very cheap...
i think the idea is to have the Metro zonal fare structure extended to somewhere along the Tyne Valley route, not the Metro trains.

But then, (although I mentioned that it was in the video), I suppose anything to do with other possible fare zone extensions is drifting well off topic from the main subject, the progress with the line reopening itself… :oops:

Last edited:

vic-rijrode

B

i think the idea is to have the Metro zonal fare structure extended to somewhere along the Tyne Valley route, not the Metro trains.
Sensible and something which will happen in the not too distant future, I suggest, with additions to the POP card availability. Blaydon definitely needs to be included.

But the post I was answering did not make this clear - "...it's been done before..." was the phrase I took to mean when the T & W Metro was physically established in the 70s/80s.

androdas

Announcement hss been made on the project website around proposed fare structure for the new line. it doesnt go into a huge amount of detail and a lot of it reads like an advert but is does say the off peak full journey will be under £3 and there will be intergration with the Tyne and Wear POP card including fares for anywhere on the line or metro system for £1 for under 21s.

The maximum off-peak single fare (for the full line from Ashington to Newcastle) will be less than £3, with an innovative approach to pricing to enable customers to combine peak and off-peak tickets to get the best value travel. Cheaper fares for customers aged 21 and under will start from £1 single.

Meanwhile, a paper to be presented to the region’s Joint Transport Committee (JTC) by Metro operator Nexus on March 19th highlights that young people are among those benefiting the most, with those 21 and under being able to buy single tickets for travel anywhere on the Northumberland Line and Metro system from just £1.

Full article: https://www.northumberlandline.uk/ticketing

Regarding Manors, I used to live in the area and had no idea the old station was still there, one morning I was out for a walk and stumbled across it, I honestly thought it was abandoned, very run down, it still had working pay phone on the wall.

It's one of those central yet oddly remote places, despite a huge amount of student development around it, I doubt most students are even aware it is there.

For most people Manors means the Metro station, I have even known people swear blind the rail doesn't exist anymore.