• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northwich Station Roof Collapse - 18/05/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Hay

Thanks for that 'after' video. Interesting that the exterior lights are still working on the bit of building that remains minus its roof!
The exterior lights in the video are temporary/emergency ones put up by Northern yesterday (Thursday) according to local management. Also interesting is the historic station clock under the canopy is still working (for now anyway).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wonder what carefully considered response will be forthcoming from Brother Burnham in response to that statement. Will he join the RMT brothers in their intended action as was forthcoming when the bus drivers from a certain company were in strike action. He cannot be on both sides of the fence at the same time.

I'm not sure what "Brother Burnham" would have to say particularly, except one would hope that he would be excited to stand up for Britain's architectural heritage.

The exterior lights in the video are temporary/emergency ones put up by Northern yesterday (Thursday) according to local management. Also interesting is the historic station clock under the canopy is still working (for now anyway).

What's working can be restored.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Let's hope that the citizens of Northwich demand a proper restoration of their station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yet how many times do we see local people with a good cause to campaign about totally ignored by Government departments.

What you say above indeed would make a good basis for an episode of "Yes, Minister".

I believe saving a railway service at least, formed the basis of an episode of "To The Manor Born".

peters

On Moderation
Also interesting is the historic station clock under the canopy is still working (for now anyway).

It actually took many attempts for them to get that clock working again and for a number of years it showed the correct time just twice a day.

I'm not sure what "Brother Burnham" would have to say particularly, except one would hope that he would be excited to stand up for Britain's architectural heritage.

Burnham tends to keep quiet about issues the 'wrong side' of Hale. His Twitter account does not include a retweet or response to Labour MP Mike Amesbury's tweet calling for a full inquiry and proper investment following the Northwich station incident, yet Labour politicians in places such as Warrington, Hull and Slough have responded to that. For someone who has gone on and on about the north's railways needing investment it's perhaps surprising he's kept to his normal stance of keeping quiet about what happens the other side of Hale.

I get Burnham has been elected by the people of Greater Manchester and doesn't want to be seen representing Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire or Merseyside but not publicly backing a Labour politician on an issue on a train line between Cheshire and Greater Manchester seems strange.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It actually took many attempts for them to get that clock working again and for a number of years it showed the correct time just twice a day.

Burnham tends to keep quiet about issues the 'wrong side' of Hale. His Twitter account does not include a retweet or response to Labour MP Mike Amesbury's tweet calling for a full inquiry and proper investment following the Northwich station incident, yet Labour politicians in places such as Warrington, Hull and Slough have responded to that. For someone who has gone on and on about the north's railways needing investment it's perhaps surprising he's kept to his normal stance of keeping quiet about what happens the other side of Hale.

I get Burnham has been elected by the people of Greater Manchester and doesn't want to be seen representing Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire or Merseyside but not publicly backing a Labour politician on an issue on a train line between Cheshire and Greater Manchester seems strange.

Could it just be not wanting to muscle in on a fellow labour politicians area ?

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

Could it just be not wanting to muscle in on a fellow labour politicians area ?
Surely his weighing in on this matter would bring more light to it and be entirely beneficial to all involved?

Jack Hay

Surely his weighing in on this matter would bring more light to it and be entirely beneficial to all involved?
I think Burnham would rather places outside Greater Manchester didn't have a good train service. If he had his way he would control all local trains in GM and they would terminate at the boundary (and probably be converted to Metrolink). He does nothing to help transport integration.

daodao

Established Member
Let's hope that the citizens of Northwich demand a proper restoration of their station.
I had a quick look at the station yesterday after filling my car with petrol at the adjacent Tesco fuel station en route home from work.

The south end of the building is in a forlorn state and I expect that it will be demolished entirely in due course, with no replacement ticket office provided.

There is temporary lighting at the south end of the Manchester bound platform, the clock is not working and the 2 ticket machines on the Manchester bound platform are inaccessible behind safety barriers.

Geeves

Established Member
It was busy enough to service a double shift of staff (morning till night) so I suspect a portacabin of some kind will be in the offing.

daodao

Established Member
It was busy enough to service a double shift of staff (morning till night) so I suspect a portacabin of some kind will be in the offing.
The ticket office was only open for 1 shift, six days per week from early morning until early afternoon (Monday-Friday 06:15-13:30, Saturdays 07:15-14:30).

Geeves

Established Member
Ahh. Its been a while since I saw the roster, I stand corrected. Hopefully they will reopen it.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Pity it isn't in Surbiton or somewhere similar, it would soon be restored to its former glory. But then again, it would never have been neglected in the first instance.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Plans are being drawn up for the rebuilding of the station
A huge hole remains in the middle of the building at Northwich Station months after the shocking collapse brought the area's rail network to a halt.

At between 10am and 10.30am on Tuesday May 18, the gable of part of the building, in which the main ticket office is based, came crashing through the canopy and onto the platform below.

It caused widespread disruption across the area for the following couple of days but miraculously nobody was hurt or killed in the incident.

A spokesperson for Network Rail has confirmed that the organisation is currently working on plans for the rebuilding of the station.

They said: “Network Rail is developing plans for the rebuild of Northwich Station after a partial building collapse in May.

"We are working with all parties to draw up designs in order that we can plan and deliver the rebuild.“

There have been calls to make the station more accessible as part of the rebuilding process, particularly the far platform which is only accessible via a footbridge.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
The station will be rebuilt next year, although conformation on whether the whole station will be made accessible is yet to be made.
BUILDING work to repair the demolished roof at Northwich train station looks set to begin in the new year.

The update comes as ticket office staff ready themselves to make a return to work before then, with a more suitable entrance also being provided.

It is not yet clear if the re-build will also make the station accessible to all rail passengers, with no confirmation coming from central Government on additional funding for that.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is set to announce a £7bn funding pledge for new transport projects in his budget on Wednesday, October 27.

Northwich MP Mike Amesbury has called on the Government to get serious about its 'Levelling Up' strategy.

He said: "If this Government is serious about so-called Levelling Up then here is the opportunity to build forward with a new, accessible station for Northwich.

"I would urge them to move beyond the rhetoric and get this done.

"Some funding to make the necessary changes is available locally but I continue to press central Government to step up to the plate.

"This accessibility project would make a fundamental difference to our local community.

"Accessible, safe, reliable and affordable public transport is so crucial to the needs of the nation, especially as we move toward a carbon neutral economy."

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The station will be rebuilt next year, although conformation on whether the whole station will be made accessible is yet to be made.
Will these works have any affect on the passenger usage of this station during the time they will be in progress?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Will these works have any affect on the passenger usage of this station during the time they will be in progress?
I would imagine that most of the work can be done without affecting the passage of trains, but that part may require Up trains to be diverted via the Goods line round the back of the station.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I would imagine that most of the work can be done without affecting the passage of trains, but that part may require Up trains to be diverted via the Goods line round the back of the station.
I'm assuming it does, but does Northwich have the ability to be used as a single platform station?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm assuming it does, but does Northwich have the ability to be used as a single platform station?
The Down platform isn't bidirectionally signalled if that's what you're alluding to.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
That was the reason behind my thinking in the posting I made a few postings ago.
Well on that subject, I had a brainwave and realised that you could get away with just northbound closures on Sundays to repair the roof. It'll take longer to finish but will mean the station can stay open on busier days.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
IMG20211030123851.jpgI was at Northwich yesterday and thought you chaps might like some snaps of the station.IMG20211030123820.jpg

IMG20211030133212.jpgAnd the saved keystone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.