• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham - Aviemore no return tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

I'm planning on going on a trip to Aviemore from Nottingham, I had intended to use the Caledonian sleeper from Crewe on the way there, and come back on the highland Chieftan via York.
National rail enquiries dosn't come up with any return tickets, just offers various combinations of 2 singles. Why is this, does it happen for any other station pairs? Do you guys know if I ought to split my ticket, if so where?

Many thanks

Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I'm planning on going on a trip to Aviemore from Nottingham, I had intended to use the Caledonian sleeper from Crewe on the way there, and come back on the highland Chieftan via York.
National rail enquiries dosn't come up with any return tickets, just offers various combinations of 2 singles. Why is this, does it happen for any other station pairs? Do you guys know if I ought to split my ticket, if so where?

Many thanks

Peter

What day are you planning to do this on? And what time is the Caledonian Sleeper and the Highland Chieftan that you want to catch? These details will help people to find the ticket that you want for the journey.

Just selecting a random day, tomorrow (27th Dec), I can see a £142 Off-Peak return fare for the journey, but that may not be with the trains you wanted!

Brucey

An "Any Permitted" off peak return is £142.00. Provided the routes are valid, the return portion is valid for one month. This would be valid on the sleeper, but a free seat reservation or berth supplement is compulsory.

tony_mac

Established Member
The National Rail website can be terrible for things like this.

It thinks that the route it is offering isn't valid, so it splits it into separate sections.

However, it is doing this differently for both legs, so it has to offer singles.
(e.g. it thinks you should buy Nottingham to Newark, and Newark to Aviemore on the outward, but Aviemore to Grantham and Grantham to Nottingham on the return - so 4 single tickets).

And, of course, the route is valid anyway!

34D

Established Member
What day are you planning to do this on? And what time is the Caledonian Sleeper and the Highland Chieftan that you want to catch? These details will help people to find the ticket that you want for the journey.

There are only one of each, but as you ask:

1S25 23:54 crewe arrives aviemore 07:38
1E13 08:30 aviemore arrives york 13:53

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nottingham-Aviemore is quite expensive, I recommend Nottingham-Inverness. (I'd consider buying from Radcliffe on Trent to Aviemore, though I've not checked the routeing validity of that. In reality guards will accept tickets by reasonable routes without consulting the Routeing Guide anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.