• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get Centrebus pax paying £3.50 each for a single, get a load of 20 and your laughing..

You would be very lucky to reach 10 passengers on that early journey. And some wouldn't travel as returning by Centrebus later in the day would make cost too expensive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyW33

Like they did on Red 9. Remember that's a bus war Premiere won!

I think it is one of those cases where an operator won the bus battle and lost the bus war. After all, where's the Red 9 now? Kinchbus 9 on the other hand......

This registration today:
PC1094655/43 Registered (Short notice)
DUNN MOTOR TRACTION LTD
Route: Nottingham, Friar Lane to Bingham, Newgate Street via West Bridgeford, Cotgrave, Cropwell Bishop, Langar
Service number: 822
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 24 Jul 2017
I would be interested in the route between West Bridgford and Cotgrave. A tendered service to replace the V2? Starting quite soon but nothing on YBs website.

Ginga

This registration today:

I would be interested in the route between West Bridgford and Cotgrave. A tendered service to replace the V2? Starting quite soon but nothing on YBs website.

It's the contract for the old Bartons 22, also includes a School run the 667 which is more fuss than It's worth! . Heanor to Sutton Cum village by 6:20am! Talk about dead mileage.

ashworth

Established Member

I occasionally have used the V2 over the past 2 years for travelling out to the villages for walks especially around Cropwell Bishop along the Grantham Canal. A couple of weeks ago I travelled out to Granby and came back from Langar. In both directions I was the only person on the bus on the section beyond Cropwell Bishop. There were quite a number of passengers in both directions between Nottingham and Cropwell Bishop. I've also noticed that one of the busiest sections of the route during the middle of the day seems to be between Gamston Morrisons and various parts of Cotgrave. The people of Cotgrave, especially the elderly, will really miss this bus if the route is changed.

As I live near Hucknall, I don't think that I will ever use the new tendered service. With Mango and the daily cap, it's good value. In future it will be far easier and cheaper to travel out there by car. That's the problem with there being no multi-operator tickets in Nottinghamshire. Those of us who have to pay for our bus journeys are charged very high fares for journeys using more than one operator.

Last edited:
DUNN MOTOR TRACTION LTD
Route: Nottingham, Friar Lane to Bingham, Newgate Street via West Bridgeford, Cotgrave, Cropwell Bishop, Langar
Service number: 822
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 24 Jul 2017

The above is a tender and it is a change in policy by Nottinghamshire County Council. They have had an obsession with NOT funding routes into the heart of the city but terminating them at the fringes or at local centres - eg 528 at Phoenix Park, 865 at Clifton P & R, 863 at Gamston, Morrisons etc. This reduces passenger numbers significantly as many people don't want the hassle of connections, makes the service more expensive to run as fewer passengers and thus greater cost per head and thus creates a reason for total withdrawl, (note how all the peak tenders (was it 850-852) disappeared at the south of the county within a year of starting). Interesting change of policy certainly.
Timetable: http://www.cropwellbishopplan.co.uk/resources/pdf-files/2017-07-10-822-Update.pdf

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
The above is a tender and it is a change in policy by Nottinghamshire County Council. They have had an obsession with NOT funding routes into the heart of the city but terminating them at the fringes or at local centres - eg 528 at Phoenix Park, 865 at Clifton P & R, 863 at Gamston, Morrisons etc.

Timetable: http://www.cropwellbishopplan.co.uk/resources/pdf-files/2017-07-10-822-Update.pdf

Well outside the peaks none run into the city and outbound non start in the city until 1630 so only a slight change in policy.

On the subject of dead mileage another vehicle has to get from Heanor to Sutton cum Granby by 0659 and a further vehicle from Heanor to Elton by 0651. Outbasing some vehicles would make sense.

Strange unbalanced workings in the pm peak; a vehicle running on request only onwards from Cropwell Bishop to Bingham meanwhile another vehicle does three trips in the opposite direction, running empty the other way.

Only 1 /2 minutes recover time at either end as well.

ashworth

Established Member
Well outside the peaks none run into the city and outbound non start in the city until 1630 so only a slight change in policy.

In my earlier post I stated that I would switch to using my car for my occasional journeys from the Hucknall area to these villages. Now that Trent Barton are not operating the route I won't be able take advantage of the £5.20 return fare with the Mango daily cap. The result being a return fare from Hucknall that will almost double in price, even if I travel on Trent Barton as far as Cotgrave or Bingham before changing buses. If most daytime buses are to run to/from West Bridgford and not enter the city the people from those villages, in addition to the inconvenience of changing buses, will also have to pay two fares which will significantly increase the cost.

In my earlier post I stated that I would switch to using my car for my occasional journeys from the Hucknall area to these villages. Now that Trent Barton are not operating the route I won't be able take advantage of the £5.20 return fare with the Mango daily cap. The result being a return fare from Hucknall that will almost double in price, even if I travel on Trent Barton as far as Cotgrave or Bingham before changing buses. If most daytime buses are to run to/from West Bridgford and not enter the city the people from those villages, in addition to the inconvenience of changing buses, will also have to pay two fares which will significantly increase the cost.

Which means, like other county tenders, there will be a significant drop in usage as the bus doesn't actually go where the passengers want and thus the daytime travellers simply vanish.

Ginga

Looking pretty dire for Y5 with Students off, you tend to take a 20 -25% hit on Derby Road when they are off. I would pull the Citaros off and use every Enviro 200 they have. Did I see a post which has since gone about Nct putting the student cash fare up to £1:50?

Looking pretty dire for Y5 with Students off, you tend to take a 20 -25% hit on Derby Road when they are off. I would pull the Citaros off and use every Enviro 200 they have. Did I see a post which has since gone about Nct putting the student cash fare up to £1:50?

As the service only runs every 20 minutes, and is Yourbus only route into the city, I wouldn't have thought that many students used them on a regular basis now.

Ginga

Must admit it's quite funny hearing all of Cotgrave moan about Buses when they get the biggest discount (30% on Mango.) And have just had the service upgraded with 09 plate Volvos with Air Con and Usb ports. We had a look at the 822 on Monday, the 11:00 left Central Ave West Bridgford 18 minutes late but it was there first day. The Trent Barton Eighteen is now "limited stop" on Derby road. Nct have the student price increase on a poster on the 36's cab door so nobody can moan about not being told.

kevjs

Nct have the student price increase on a poster on the 36's cab door so nobody can moan about not being told.

Aside from the fact it was announced after the end of term... You wait some Sept/Oct there'll be some moaning!

Leicestershire County Council have provided funding for a continuation of the 8 every hour Loughborough-Melton (and commercially on to Grantham).
From what I therefore see the only major cuts by Centrebus in the area are the Nottingham to Melton Mowbray section and the Oakham Town Service - both down to just 5 runs a day.
Amazing how the Loughborough-Melton which always seems relatively lightly loaded between Melton & Wymeswold (to me anyway) warrants an hourly frequency but the Melton-Nottingham which seems to me to be much busier doesn't....
Council funding policies and county boundaries again.....

ashworth

Established Member

Apart from Nottingham to Loughborough and very sparse services from Newark to Lincoln and Retford to Gainsborough there are very few cross boundary bus services from Nottinghamshire into Leicestershire and Lincolnshire.
Nottingham and Newark to Lincoln, Nottingham to Grantham and Retford to Gainsborough do at least have regular through train services but not Nottingham to Melton. In addition to there being very few buses between Newark and Lincoln I don't think there are any buses east of Newark towards Sleaford.

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Apart from Nottingham to Loughborough and very sparse services from Newark to Lincoln and Retford to Gainsborough there are very few cross boundary bus services from Nottinghamshire into Leicestershire and Lincolnshire.
Nottingham and Newark to Lincoln, Nottingham to Grantham and Retford to Gainsborough do at least have regular through train services but not Nottingham to Melton. In addition to there being very few buses between Newark and Lincoln I don't think there are any buses east of Newark towards Sleaford.

Not forgetting:-

Nottingham - EMA - Coalville
Bingham- Melton Mowbray
Newark - Grantham

Newark-Saxilby also.

ashworth

Established Member
I suppose I left myself open to be caught out on that one!
Apart from the Coalville service none of these are really anything like frequent services.
I notice that on the Newark to Grantham service no buses cross the boundary to or from Nottinghamshire much after 2pm. Buses from Melton to Bingham only run through to Bingham about 3 times a day and Newark to Saxilby only runs for a few hours each day.
However, I agree these services do exist, although I do wonder whether some of them are just timed and provided mainly for use by those travelling with Concessionary passes.

ivanhoe

Leicestershire County Council have provided funding for a continuation of the 8 every hour Loughborough-Melton (and commercially on to Grantham).
From what I therefore see the only major cuts by Centrebus in the area are the Nottingham to Melton Mowbray section and the Oakham Town Service - both down to just 5 runs a day.
Amazing how the Loughborough-Melton which always seems relatively lightly loaded between Melton & Wymeswold (to me anyway) warrants an hourly frequency but the Melton-Nottingham which seems to me to be much busier doesn't....

Politics is also a major factor Mitch. LCC will always be Conservative controlled now that Leicester City is a Unitary Authority. The Wolds Villages and Melton are their natural territory. I agree with you on the loadings but am grateful that my CC is giving Loughborough people an opportunity to work,study and shop in Melton.(The reverse is also true) I do think that the Wolds villages though should be actively encouraging use of the services on the basis that you may lose this service. It will never be commercial between Loughborough and Melton though.

Chris57a

Does anyone have any further information about the Midland Classic service X40 to the Boots factory that was operating last October?

I noticed today (a bit late perhaps-been out of the country) that the 24/25 has got new E400s. I'm a bit surprised, because that has always been a bit of a Cinderella service. Remember Nottingham Network for the >10 min routes.

MCR247

Established Member
All of the 04 plate Scania Omnidekkas are being dumped so thats why the 44 and 24/25 got some of the E400Cs. With the E400Cs having less capacity than omnidekkas NCT can't just order the E400Cs for a Go2 omnidekka route and pass those omnidekkas on to the lower routes as easily as before

Does anyone have any further information about the Midland Classic service X40 to the Boots factory that was operating last October?

Always been a bit of a mystery bus. Gets a mention in posts #2787 & 2788 on this thread. Probably a private contract.

kevjs

Have Trent Barton decided to stop branding there buses? All the Loughborough and Bingham Mainline buses I've seen for the last week and a bit have been new orange Mango branded ones :s

howittpie

Have Trent Barton decided to stop branding there buses? All the Loughborough and Bingham Mainline buses I've seen for the last week and a bit have been new orange Mango branded ones :s

The reason maybe that both routes are due new buses this month? They have a launch of the buses for the Mainline coming up in Bingham think this Saturday.

kevjs

The reason maybe that both routes are due new buses this month? They have a launch of the buses for the Mainline coming up in Bingham think this Saturday.

They are brand new buses though. Guess it could be a conincidence that I've only seen new buses and they happen to have been reserves being used for driver familiarisation with the new branded ones going from launch dates?

Status
Not open for further replies.