• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I thought I would repost my opinion piece of the impact of the opening of the tram extensions​ on the bus services in the area. Interesting to review what has actually happened in the 2 years.

Skylink - no major change
18 - initially proposed curtailment or cancellation, but still similar to pre tram
36, No change to route or frequency
Y36 - cancelled
Skylink Express New service, originally serving Clifton P&R
48 Slight reduction in frequency
Other changes in Clifton, but not major.

Overall the impact of the tram has been limited.

I thought there had been changes for the Indigo and the Y5.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Other changes in Clifton, but not major.

Overall the impact of the tram has been limited.

I would have thought the cancelling of the NCT 2 in January and merging into the 3 - with a lot longer route into Nottingham via Ruddington Green was a significant impact on Clifton Residents.

The fact that the trentbarton Ruddington Connection disappeared altogether was possibly due to a fall in loadings caused firstly by the tram works and subsequent loss of trade on Ruddington Lane, Wilford caused by its opening.
Considering Clifton now has just 4 bus routes into Nottingham - the 1, 3, 48 & L64 (and the Uni 4) that's significantly fewer travel options than a decade ago.
If you are at the Holy Trinity end of Clifton and want to travel to Trent Bridge it's either two buses or a walk to Clifton Pastures or Green Lane.
Definite change.

Anyone know what changes are being made to tendered City Services from the 1st May?

I know the L10, L11, L14 are transferring to N Community Transport.
Regular uses of the L33 are being told it is being withdrawn between Bulwell & Nottingham Business Park(the busiest section) and running:
Nottingham Business Park-QMC extended to City only. This would leave Nuthall with no link to the QMC and Mornington Crescent Estate with no bus service if true.

Pigalle

Trent Barton's Derby based Villager service is being recast from May 28 - farewell V2 and V4

more buses, more often...

From Sunday 28 May we’ll be making changes to the villager network to make it an even better way to travel from the villages to Derby and Burton.

new-villager-network-for-mobile.png

We were really encouraged by the results of our customer research project back in 2016, and the consultation that followed. It’s clear that the villager is a well-used brand with good levels of customer satisfaction.

However, we can be even better. Poor timekeeping dominated the small number of complaints we received, this was reinforced by your top priority being ‘on time’. In addition, over 1 in 5 people wanted to see improvements to frequency.

With these changes we’ve looked to match supply to demand and ensure we can offer the best possible experience to the majority of our customers.

Due to low customer numbers we are sorry that V2 and V4 will be withdrawn from 28 May.

the villager V1

improved frequency to every 30 mins, Mondays to Saturdays
improved frequency to every hour in the evenings and Sundays during the day
earlier and later buses to Derby and Burton
a simplified route to help improve timekeeping and reliability
a new route through Hilton

the villager V3

buses every hour, Mondays to Saturdays
improved frequency to every hour in the evenings and Sundays during the day.

new-maps-for-mobile.png

Yes, it does. I caught it today (much queueing at Pegasus because of the rail terminal works). I seem to remember seeing that it was going request stop, but i cant see how that could actually be done.

Yes, it does. I caught it today (much queueing at Pegasus because of the rail terminal works). I seem to remember seeing that it was going request stop, but i cant see how that could actually be done.

Its request to set down TOWARDS Nottingham on some very early morning and late evening journeys.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

I was driving just ahead of one towards Nottingham today (around 1900, so not an early or late working) and it didn't go into the P&R. I assume it doesn't carry passengers between the P&R and the city and coming from the airport it only diverts into the P&R if there is someone alighting there. All the airport-bound runs would have to go into the P&R though, to see if there was anybody waiting.

Bwsbro

Trentbarton have announced that their £1 Student Cash single will be withdrawn within Nottingham from Sunday 23rd April 2017.

£1 student Single will however continue on a Student Mango card

Mugby

Established Member
Got a leaflet through my door this morning from Arriva Derby announcing the Derby Weekly tickets have been reduced by £3 and 4-Weekly tickets reduced by £8.

I wonder if it's been prompted by a bit of competition!

Pigalle

If you scroll down the time line you'll see they've announced it on various occasions

It certainly wasn't visible on any of the buses I travelled on last week, with fare change leaflets only appearing during today on the buses I've travelled on. Clearly not well communicated given the amount of customers caught out by the change I've witnessed today.

Urobach

If you scroll down the time line you'll see they've announced it on various occasions

Additionally I and presumably others on the alerts mailing list received an email about the changes on 13 April

Last edited:
On the other hand I saw plenty of leaflets on bus (and they are still on bus) about the recent Rainbow One fares increase - but I've not had my email alert! Rather hit and miss.

Last edited:

Urobach

.....and there was me thinking that they were 'The Really Good Bus Company'....... have I been misled ?

:roll:

Compared to Arriva in Derby and a good number of other operators in the UK, I'd say that tagline is fairly appropriate, but that's just my opinion, having originally come from a town where First and Arriva didn't set the bar very high

NCT have released pictures on their Facebook page of their new gas buses for Green 6/10, Lilac 24/25 and Red 44

Also (and I'm wondering if the name of the thread should be changed to cover the East Mids especially as the main "bus war" seems to be being fought in Derby now) the Derby Evening Telegraph (finally) picked up on the regular chaotic scenes at Derby Bus Station

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/bus...t-on-streets/story-30290050-detail/story.html

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/der...-says-driver/story-30290512-detail/story.html

Which presumably has led to this article in on TBs website

https://trentbarton.co.uk/news-and-media/our-news/article/congestionatderbybusstation

In truth this has been a problem for quite some time, especially with the increase in services using the Bus Station due to the competition.

Andyh82

Established Member
On the other hand I saw plenty of leaflets on bus (and they are still on bus) about the recent Rainbow One fares increase - but I've not had my email alert! Rather hit and miss.

To be fair people always miss information even if it is well publicised, like those that turn up at a train station when a major engineering closure is on, not knowing anything about it.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Compared to Arriva in Derby and a good number of other operators in the UK, I'd say that tagline is fairly appropriate, but that's just my opinion, having originally come from a town where First and Arriva didn't set the bar very high

I would agree that Trent are significantly better than most other UK bus operators but, in my view, they come over too often as rather arrogant. The fact is that they are also far from perfect - just better than the many operators who still offer a poor quality product overall.

Trent have developed very good customer-facing skills training for their front line staff (mainly drivers) and their publicity is to a very high standard. In my view, they don't seem so good with other aspects of the business and the tag-line does, therefore, give an inflated view of their overall performance.

If the tag-line was more along the lines of 'We aim to be the Really Good Bus Company' it might come over better.

Just my opinion.

Also (and I'm wondering if the name of the thread should be changed to cover the East Mids especially as the main "bus war" seems to be being fought in Derby now) the Derby Evening Telegraph (finally) picked up on the regular chaotic scenes at Derby Bus Station

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/bus...t-on-streets/story-30290050-detail/story.html

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/der...-says-driver/story-30290512-detail/story.html

Which presumably has led to this article in on TBs website

https://trentbarton.co.uk/news-and-media/our-news/article/congestionatderbybusstation

In truth this has been a problem for quite some time, especially with the increase in services using the Bus Station due to the competition.

I think in fairness, Derby Riverlights bus station never worked from the day it opened. The increase in traffic had just made its poor design more obvious.

I agree with the title change, since it has become the Notts/Derbys bus news thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.