• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

Established Member
Bustimes Kinchbus fleetlist now shows Skylink Notts E200MMC 128 in Skylink Derby livery which if true will help by releasing 107/108 onto other routes as they are normally on the Skylink.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tram21

Bustimes Kinchbus fleetlist now shows Skylink Notts E200MMC 128 in Skylink Derby livery which if true will help by releasing 107/108 onto other routes as they are normally on the Skylink.
Wow that's a surprise!

I believe 906 is back as well hopefully aiding the bus shortage.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
It's a pity Trent are also allergic to deckers as well as they could be an alternative to coaches on the Red Arrow

Trainman40083

It's a pity Trent are also allergic to deckers as well as they could be an alternative to coaches on the Red Arrow
They still run coaches on Red Arrow. Okay maybe 3. When you look, several operators have taken coaches off such work. Go North East on Newcastle to Middlesbrough, possibly Stagecoach East on Oxford towards Cambridge. I would have thought high spec deckers were the answer, but it will never happen. Still, Red Arrow looks after most of the Derby based Mango single deckers. Maybe they will get new vehicles in 2026/2027

Megafuss

I appreciate I may have been very lucky, but I used 20+ Trent Barton services over the last four days and every single bus I wanted turned up with the longest delay of 10 minutes. I even managed a coach on the Red Arrow!

I'm in no doubt the are suffering issues, and certainly heard a grumble waiting for a Sixes. But I found them perfectly fine in the real world

I do wonder if the Red Arrow issues are being hidden by layover, at least at the Victoria end, as I noticed my departure arrived before the missing bus was supposed to go (which I didn't want anyway) So nothing looked missing

Last edited:

Trainman40083

I appreciate I may have been very lucky, but I used 20+ Trent Barton services over the last four days and every single bus I wanted turned up with the longest delay of 10 minutes. I even managed a coach on the Red Arrow!

I'm in no doubt the are suffering issues, and certainly heard a grumble waiting for a Sixes. But I found them perfectly fine in the real world

I do wonder if the Red Arrow issues are being hidden by layover, at least at the Victoria end, as I noticed my departure arrived before the missing bus was supposed to go (which I didn't want anyway) So nothing looked missing
I think you are lucky. Buses missing on X38, Swift, Mickleover, 6.1, 6.2, Red Arrow just for a start. I'd wager over time, potential passengers who have a choice of mode will make a change. And that won't end well. Maybe they will send more buses to Kinchbus.

tram21

From looking at upcoming licence changes:

Upcoming service changes:

Nottingham City Transport, 31st March: Timetable Changes to 17, 30, 35, 36, 77, 78, 79. No details yet.

Trentbarton: Trentbarton Website
We will be making the following timetable changes from Sunday 31 March.

90 | Minor timetable changes to improve reliability.

the keyworth | Monday to Saturday frequency reduction to every 20 minutes to help improve reliability and punctuality.

my15 | Minor changes between DHL and East Midlands Airport Monday to Saturday, as well as reducing the number of journeys via Castle Donington Bus Station during peak times.

red arrow | Frequency increase to every 30 minutes Monday to Thurday evenings as well as some minor changes between Derby & QMC.

skylink Derby | Frequency increase to every 15 minutes as well as additional early morning and evening journeys to help with demand.

skylink express | Minor timetable changes to help improve reliability.

swift | Evening timetable changes to help improve reliability.

Full timetables will be available online in the coming days.

Kinchbus: As seen above, Skylink Derby will go every 15 minutes.

Marshall's, 7th April: Withdrawal of 91, 856, 857 (potentially introduction of DRT)

tram21

Spot on - the next phase of NottsBus On Demand will be replacing these.
Do you have any information about this?

On the Trentbarton service changes side of things, it's an extremely odd set of changes. I'd be interested to see what 'minor changes' are, and the Keyworth reduction should hopefully improve the service to make it more reliable, however to make Skylink Derby every 15 minutes in a company that doesn't have enough buses to run its current service?

Its almost like the people making the decisions have never been to Kinchbus's depot? Unless some major bus transfers occur, the problems will get worse!

Last edited:

Trainman40083

On the Trentbarton service changes side of things, it's an extremely odd set of changes. I'd be interested to see what 'minor changes' are, and the Keyworth reduction should hopefully improve the service to make it more reliable, however to make Skylink Derby every 15 minutes in a company that doesn't have enough buses to run its current service?

Its almost like the people making the decisions have never been to Kinchbus's depot? Unless some major bus transfers occur, the problems will get worse!
Yes interesting re Kinch Skylink Leicester. I think 2hrs 10 mins after leaving Derby, that bus leaves Leicester. 13 buses currently in yellow, inc recent 128. So, I'd have thought every 15 minutes would need, say 25% more buses. Maybe they will get 127 , off since June after a RTA. Maybe two from another route. But the issue remains, KB seems to struggle to run a full timetable on some town routes most weekdays. I guess that won't change. But then, Skylink makes the profit, and profit attracts investment. I would think several routes, maybe Keyworth makes less money, so goes less frequent to try and maintain the service.

Established Member

Indeed you would of thought like I said above that 128 is used to release the unbranded buses for the town routes which are regularly cancelled. Now it seems need 3 more buses. Looking at bus times today one of the diagrams was also uncovered with both 107 and 108 out covering for the branded vehicles. The 5, 9 and 11 all seem to have missing buses as well!

The new swift timetable is on traveline SW. The 2310 from Derby now moves back to 2330 with the 0030 becoming 0040 on Fridays and Saturdays. The former also now finishes at Ashbourne bus station on Fridays and Saturdays before returning to Derby.

JD2168

From looking at upcoming licence changes:

Upcoming service changes:

Nottingham City Transport, 31st March: Timetable Changes to 17, 30, 35, 36, 77, 78, 79. No details yet.

Trentbarton: Trentbarton Website

Kinchbus: As seen above, Skylink Derby will go every 15 minutes.

Marshall's, 7th April: Withdrawal of 91, 856, 857 (potentially introduction of DRT)

Given the often mentioned shortages of vehicles & drivers at Wellglade as a whole where are the extras going to be coming from for the Skylink Derby service?

Trainman40083

Given the often mentioned shortages of vehicles & drivers at Wellglade as a whole where are the extras going to be coming from for the Skylink Derby service?
Maybe the group are chasing the money, leaving less profitable routes to others, or lesser frequency. But you mention shortages of vehicles and drivers. Add in mechanics..They don't seem to have stock of parts. Okay they talk of extended lead times, but the usual action is to hold safety stock to cover that. Maybe they have no money for that either. But one thought. I'm wondering what might happen to passenger numbers if and when the £2 fare ever ends? Maybe the repainting starts all over again.

tram21

I'm wondering what might happen to passenger numbers if and when the £2 fare ever ends?
I think in the long run it won't have much of a difference, but in the short term it'll take a lot to get used to higher fares again!

Look at these Skylink Derby prices :lol:
But then again the caps are pretty low so if you're making two journeys it's still good value!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227_222406_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_222406_Chrome.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 58

Mikw

At the moment the Skylink Derby service increase is needed - it's often rammed. Like others i question where the vehicles are going to come from. I was on an Optare Solo of all things a few weeks ago on that route. Better than nothing turning up of course, but no luggage space at all and it was crush loaded.

Mugby

Established Member
I think in the long run it won't have much of a difference, but in the short term it'll take a lot to get used to higher fares again!

Look at these Skylink Derby prices :lol:
But then again the caps are pretty low so if you're making two journeys it's still good value!
No wonder a Zig-Zag isn't valid on Skylink Derby!

tram21

No wonder a Zig-Zag isn't valid on Skylink Derby!
Its similar on the Skylink Express for a much shorter distance!

Nottingham to EMA on SNX:
i.aspx
adult mango£6.75
i.aspx
adult single£7.50
i.aspx
adult zigzag£7.60
i.aspx
family return£23.80
i.aspx
student mango£6.00
i.aspx
travel contactless£7.50
i.aspx
young explorer£1.00
i.aspx
young mango£4.77
i.aspx
young single£5.30
i.aspx
young zigzag£5.30

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Yes interesting re Kinch Skylink Leicester. I think 2hrs 10 mins after leaving Derby, that bus leaves Leicester. 13 buses currently in yellow, inc recent 128. So, I'd have thought every 15 minutes would need, say 25% more buses. Maybe they will get 127 , off since June after a RTA. Maybe two from another route. But the issue remains, KB seems to struggle to run a full timetable on some town routes most weekdays. I guess that won't change. But then, Skylink makes the profit, and profit attracts investment. I would think several routes, maybe Keyworth makes less money, so goes less frequent to try and maintain the service.
It's just not right to ignore the timetables on Kinch 9, 11, 12 etc because there aren't enough buses (or drivers) - and then increase the frequencies on Skylink.
It's about time that someone like Centrebus or Vectare was asked to take over the Kinchbus local routes and let Trent run the Derby Skylink.

derbybusdepot

Cancellations on Kinch 11, 5 and skylink this morning, as there are most days.

With them needing 4 extra buses on skylink in little over a month's time, what will change? Bear in mind full service has been rare for years due to various issues.

Question is, should frequency increases really be allowed? There is plenty of evidence to show they consistently fail to operate registered services, surely the last thing they need to do is take on more.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-28-07-39-04-527_uk.co.trentbarton.hugo.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-28-07-39-04-527_uk.co.trentbarton.hugo.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_2024-02-28-07-37-06-738_uk.co.trentbarton.hugo.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-28-07-37-06-738_uk.co.trentbarton.hugo.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 30

SSmith2009

It's just not right to ignore the timetables on Kinch 9, 11, 12 etc because there aren't enough buses (or drivers) - and then increase the frequencies on Skylink.
It's about time that someone like Centrebus or Vectare was asked to take over the Kinchbus local routes and let Trent run the Derby Skylink.
Vectare would be a good shout for competition on the town routes 5/11/12 with those merc minis they have.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Vectare would be a good shout for competition on the town routes 5/11/12 with those merc minis they have.
I wonder if Kinchbus is being gradually wound down anyway ? - with plans for new electrics on Skylink (yet to be finalised) isn't that likely to get operated from a new installation at the Derby end ?

zakky1.0

I wonder if Kinchbus is being gradually wound down anyway ? - with plans for new electrics on Skylink (yet to be finalised) isn't that likely to get operated from a new installation at the Derby end ?
Oh believe me, it’ll be based from Loughborough with the plans that are in the works for the garage, limited on what I can say but kinchs’ depot will be having some upgrades…

Trainman40083

I thought the proposal for Skylink was hydrogen buses.