• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NRCoT Condition 41 - Changeover Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMH125

I have recently applied for a season ticket changeover under Condition 41 of the NRCoT and I'm a little concerned about the calculation of the additional amount due that is going to come back based on what has happened at the ticket office, and also recent correspondence with (the now defunct) London Midland, London Travelwatch and Rail Delivery Group.

I bought an annual season ticket between Bletchley and London Euston last year for £4,348. I want to change the season ticket to cover Bletchley to London Euston + Zones 1-6. The 2017 cost of that annual season ticket is £5,296. The changed-over ticket would be valid for 135 days.

When I handed in the application form I was asked to complete a refund application to accompany the season ticket change over form. I queried this, as the new ticket is more expensive than the old one. I thought I would just be paying the difference (as implied by Condition 41.1) rather than having any refund. The ticket office wanted credit card details entered on the form, which implies an intention to actually refund me money. A member of staff said the only way to do things would be to refund the old season ticket first.

The ticket office staff also said I could keep my old season ticket in the meantime as the new one would not be ready for a few days. I thought I had to hand the old one in. The ticket office staff said they could not refund oyster payments made for the London Underground journeys made whilst the new ticket was being calculated and prepared over the next few days. They did say they could refund paper tickets for the journey. I agreed to leave my season ticket with the station and purchase full journey paper tickets to be refunded in due course.

I was under the impression (from London Northwestern Railway's Passenger Charter and the National Rail Website - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46571.aspx#Changeover) that the calculation of the additional charge would be done on a pro-rata basis. I make the additional amount due as:

Old Ticket : £4348 / 365 x 135 days = £1,608.17
New Ticket: £5,296 / 365 x 135 days = £1,958.80
Charge to pay: £350.63

My concern is that the station are planning to refund the old ticket under Condition 40 and then sell me a new one for the 135 day period, rather than do a pro-rata calculation. This would involve both calculations being done on the basis of combining smaller tickets to get the amounts due. I make this to be approximately (as I don't have all right ticket prices and might have misunderstood the process):

Old ticket used: £3,183.77
Credit left: £1,164.23
New Ticket: £1,929.23

Amount to Pay: £765

It is not just the refund form / comments at the ticket office that give me cause for concern. I have exchanged correspondence with London Midland, London Travelwatch and Rail Delivery Group who are all stating that season ticket changeover calculations are not done pro rata. The correspondence focussed on refunds rather than additional amounts to pay. I've put some extracts of the responses I have received below:

London Midland:

"You are correct that it [Condition 41.3] states based on the number of days validity. When we were drafting the revised NRCoT this was the wording chosen as it is simpler than explaining the full mechanics. The attachment you sent [the National Rail staff instructions from July 2015 on changeovers that was posted on another thread in this forum] is two years old and out of date. You get the beneficial discount implicitly in the replacement ticket, if you pro-rated the refund it (sic) you’d get it twice."

London Travelwatch:

"The method of calculating a refund is correct as advised by [London Midland]. I realise this will seem unfair as to a passenger an annual season ticket is bought for a year and, therefore, it seems sensible the daily cost should be divided by 365. However, this isn’t the case and the method is outlined in the National Rail Conditions of Travel 40.3. As it often appears to passengers they don’t receive as much as they expect it’s helpful to remember that the cost of an annual season ticket is based on 40 x cost of a weekly ticket and a refund is based on the cost of the travel used plus an administration fee."

Having reiterated this was a changeover under Condition 41 where there is definitely no administration fee payable, which was accepted by London Travelwatch, they said:

"The calculation of a changeover ticket is as already advised. If you were to request one it would be based on the date it’s submitted."

Rail Delivery Group:

"Thanks for your response about your query with us.

Once again, I was sorry for time taken to respond; please accept my apologies for the delay.

I've looked into this for you and an answer to this question will depend on the following:

• The 7-Day Season Ticket rate for Bletchley to London Euston on 6 June 2017, and
  • The date it was returned to original retailer for changeover
We need to remember is that there are effectively 3 prices that are factored into any Season Ticket of any length (up to 12 months), between any two points. Below is an example for your reference:
  • Anytime Day Return, (£10)
  • 7-Day (£30) and
  • Period Season Ticket (1 calendar month and multiples thereof, £120).
Annual Season Tickets are priced on 40 x 7-day (£1200) not 12 x 1 month (£1,440), and are calculated at the price on the day of purchase. A customer can purchase a Period Season Ticket for any length of time over 1 month. If for example I knew I was on a short term contract and would not need a Season Ticket beyond 3 months, two weeks and 2 days, I can purchase a Season ticket that is priced as a combination of 3 x 1-month, 2 x 7-day and 2 x Anytime Day Return making the cost £440.

There are 3 opportunities a year for the rail industry to amend fares (called Fares Setting Rounds) and are January – May, May – September and September – January. January is the main Fares Setting Round and the time when regulated fares (such as Season Tickets) are changed.

So, using above example based on the fares in October, I purchase an Annual Season Ticket in December 2017, it will cost £1200. In January 2018, the fare of a 7-Day is increased to £32, and in late January 2018 I move home and no longer need the original Season Ticket, the changeover credit that I receive will be calculated as follows:

Used days since ticket start 66 days = 9x7-Days + 3xAnytime Day Return (£300)

Original Season Ticket: £1200
Minus value used: (£300)
Credit towards new Season £900

I can then use the £900 credit towards a different Season Ticket on anything up to a new 12 month Annual Season Ticket.

If the new Ticket is less than £900, I will be entitled to a refund of any unused credit."

Having sent some more queries and referenced the LNR Passenger Charter and National Rail's website specifying pro-rata refunds:

"Once again, I was sorry for the time taken to respond to your query about refunds on Changeover Season Tickets.

I've looked into this again for you; and can confirm that refunds on Changeover Season Tickets are not calculated on pro-rata basis; or by dividing the cost of the ticket by 365 days. They are calculated based on the number of outward and return journeys on individual working days.

I understand that the information on the West Midlands Trains website is contradictory to the information available to us. May I recommend you to contact them directly, as they will be better placed to assist you with the information displayed on their website."

London Midland seemed to be implying that when the revised NRCoT were introduced in October 2016, there was a change in how these calculation were done. The words "pro-rata" have been removed from the relevant condition compared with the previous version of the NRCoC. But the reference to "days validity" makes me think there hasn't been a change. If there has been, then it seems to be a change that is detrimental to passengers. I might be better off on Oyster PAYG if there has been a change. If that is the case, then I'd want to abandon doing the changeover.

Please can anyone help with letting me know what the right calculation is for changeovers and if there has been a move away from pro-rata?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Can't say I am aware of any changes regarding changeovers in recent years. I will have another look at the Knowledgebase on Monday, unless someone gets in before me.

That RDG reply, all I can say is, "Oh, dear god!"

Have you actually been charged one of the aforementioned amounts or is it all pre-emptive?

JMH125

Can't say I am aware of any changes regarding changeovers in recent years. I will have another look at the Knowledgebase on Monday, unless someone gets in before me.

That RDG reply, all I can say is, "Oh, dear god!"

Have you actually been charged one of the aforementioned amounts or is it all pre-emptive?

Thanks. This is all pre-emptive. The ticket office staff member said a manager would not be in until Monday (at the earliest) to review any calculation.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Oh dear. And this is the same RDG that wants us to trust them with fares simplification.

thedbdiboy

I've been tipped off about this thread - we'll get the calculations checked by someone who knows what they are doing. Changeovers should indeed be calculated pro-rata.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've been tipped off about this thread - we'll get the calculations checked by someone who knows what they are doing. Changeovers should indeed be calculated pro-rata.
I really do enjoy when things like this happen on this Forum :lol:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Assuming the figures quoted in the OP are correct, I make the calculation:

Base rate for original ticket : £4348 / 365 = £11.91 (to nearest 1p)
Base rate for new ticket : £5296 / 365 = £14.51 (ditto)

Credit due for original ticket : £11.91 x 135 = £1607.85
Charge for new ticket : £14.51 x 135 = £1958.85
Additional amount due for changeover : £351.00

At this point I would note that it's possible to get a changeover done at any station, not just the original issuing location, so it may benefit the OP to "shop around" if they have the option.

kristiang85

Established Member
This thread worries me (apart from the last post by CyrusWuff) - I'm moving out of London next month but will still need to commute here, so I'll be going from a London season ticket to a South Western Railway season ticket.

I had budgeted for the following (my move is happening on Feb 16th):

Currently I've paid £1320 for Zones 1-2 (as it was valid from 1st Jan)
Basingstoke to London season ticket is £4424

So I work out at:
(1320 / 365) * 47 = £169.97
(4424 / 365) * 318 = £3854.33

Thus what I pay would be £3854.33 - (1320.00-169.97) = £2704.30

So my questions are...
1. I'm assuming its fine to do a changeover from TFL season tickets to National Rail (I was told before it was fine)
2. My calculations above are correct?
3. As TFL season tickets are done online, I'm assuming I can apply for this changeover at Waterloo or Basingstoke? (CW's post above seems to confirm this is fine)

Sorry I'm very much a newbie to this commuting lark... (and not looking forward to it). I really hope changeovers are pro rata, otherwise the costs are going to be astronomic.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
So my questions are...
1. I'm assuming its fine to do a changeover from TFL season tickets to National Rail (I was told before it was fine)
2. My calculations above are correct?
3. As TFL season tickets are done online, I'm assuming I can apply for this changeover at Waterloo or Basingstoke? (CW's post above seems to confirm this is fine).
Unfortunately, National Rail operators are unable to process a changeover where the original ticket was sold by TfL (and vice versa).

You'd have to apply for a refund of the original ticket and then buy the new one at the current price.

kristiang85

Established Member
Unfortunately, National Rail operators are unable to process a changeover where the original ticket was sold by TfL (and vice versa).

You'd have to apply for a refund of the original ticket and then buy the new one at the current price.

Thanks for the reply - darn, is this really the case? Surely TFL is just another train operator? (if TFL isn't counted as national rail, then why are Gold Cards given on TFL purchases?).

So basically I'll need to get a refund of the TFL season ticket, which I assume won't be pro rata (how would it be calculated?), then I'll need to buy a 1yr season ticket from mid-Feb, which will mean I'll be out of kilter in the future on renewing on 1st Jan (thus losing the inflationary benefit of that)?

I really would have thought that, given the costs and how many people move in/out of London all the time, this would not be an issue? (sorry, obviously this is not aimed at you, this is more of a frustrated questioning of the system!)

roversfan2001

Established Member
You can buy a season for a week or any period between a month and a year, so you could buy your next season ticket for 10 and a half months so it expires at the start of next year, though I think the price is the same anyway above 40 weeks.

kristiang85

Established Member
You can buy a season for a week or any period between a month and a year, so you could buy your next season ticket for 10 and a half months so it expires at the start of next year, though I think the price is the same anyway above 40 weeks.

Ah OK.

I have a few holidays and work trips this year, so I guess if I book a combination of season tickets around these away dates, I might be able to reduce my outgoings somewhat?

Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Though this solution would mean I'd lose my Annual Gold Card, I presume? Which, again, would be incredibly annoying.

Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
That sounds like a good plan. Any season ticket that's longer than a month (but less than a year) is effectively sold at the same daily-equivalent rate as a monthly. But I used to find, by careful planning as you suggest, to effectively end up paying only at the same daily-equivalent rate as a yearly ticket. Even little things help: if you are buying a ticket starting on a Monday, don't buy a monthly ending with a Wednesday but a season for a month and 2 days ending on a Friday (and then the next ticket can start the following Monday). Similarly, if you have 6 or 7 weeks between holidays/work trips, buy one ticket for the whole 6 or 7 weeks rather than a monthly plus one or two weeklys plus a couple of day tickets.

JMH125

Thanks for the replies.

Assuming the figures quoted in the OP are correct, I make the calculation:

Base rate for original ticket : £4348 / 365 = £11.91 (to nearest 1p)
Base rate for new ticket : £5296 / 365 = £14.51 (ditto)

Credit due for original ticket : £11.91 x 135 = £1607.85
Charge for new ticket : £14.51 x 135 = £1958.85
Additional amount due for changeover : £351.00

At this point I would note that it's possible to get a changeover done at any station, not just the original issuing location, so it may benefit the OP to "shop around" if they have the option.

The station staff processed the changeover and the calculation above is correct. I paid £351 for the changeover; my error being not rounding the daily base rate. It seems as though they needed the refund form filled in for internal accounting - I could see the lower section for official use had been filled in / stamped but nothing further was required from me.

I can't imagine that the calculation is any different when switching to a lower value ticket and a credit (i.e. a refund) is due. Why on earth
  • A senior member of staff at a TOC;
  • An adviser at London Traveleatch: and
  • Rail Delivery Group
were / are all so adamant that the calculation is not done pro rata is anyone's guess and worrying.

Slightly less concerning is a number of station ticket office staff saying that they need 7 days notice of a changeover.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies.

The station staff processed the changeover and the calculation above is correct. I paid £351 for the changeover; my error being not rounding the daily base rate. It seems as though they needed the refund form filled in for internal accounting - I could see the lower section for official use had been filled in / stamped but nothing further was required from me.

I can't imagine that the calculation is any different when switching to a lower value ticket and a credit (i.e. a refund) is due. Why on earth
  • A senior member of staff at a TOC;
  • An adviser at London Traveleatch: and
  • Rail Delivery Group
were / are all so adamant that the calculation is not done pro rata is anyone's guess and worrying.

Slightly less concerning is a number of station ticket office staff saying that they need 7 days notice of a changeover.
South West Trains staff once did a change over for me. It took time and two if them to deal with it but they didn't need 7 days. It was dealt with there and then.

As for TfL, I guess the best advice is to never buy a season ticket from them as they are one company covering a smaller geographical area than many of the TOCs. They you won't be caught out. Unfortunately it's too late now but maybe thus might warn others off purchasing from TfL.

thedbdiboy

Glad it's sorted. Apparently the person consulted at RDG was asked how a Season Ticket REFUND was calculated, the junior person making the enquiry failing to explain that it was in fact a changeover request. I understand suitable advice has been given.....

JMH125

Glad it's sorted. Apparently the person consulted at RDG was asked how a Season Ticket REFUND was calculated, the junior person making the enquiry failing to explain that it was in fact a changeover request. I understand suitable advice has been given.....

Thanks for the info. Somewhat disappointing after my last substantial email to RDG (sent between the two quotes from them in my OP) was, IMO, quite clear:

"...

I need to make something clear: We are NOT talking about a refund under Condition 40. I agree that if I hand my season ticket in and say "I'd like a refund", then what you have said is correct.

I am talking about an application for a changeover under Condition 41 - this is where I hand my season ticket in that is valid for a journey between A and B and ask for it to be changed to a season ticket, with the same end date as the original season ticket, between C and D. I have set out Condition 41 in full below:

..."

Not sure what reasons London Midland and London Travelwatch have got. I was particularly irritated by the LM exchange which started all this off, given they implied there had been a change after Oct 2016 and also said (my emphasis):

"Your assertion regarding the pro-rating of a ticket is incorrect, your actual refund will be circa £200 less than your calculation. As per section 40.3 of the NRCoT due to Season Tickets being heavily discounted, refunds (which is the first part of a changeover) are not pro-rated. They are calculated based on the number of monthly, weekly and daily tickets it would have taken to make the journeys in the days utilised to date. This is deducted from the purchase price to give a ‘value’ that can be use against the new ticket. This calculation can be further complicated by changes in ticket prices within the validity of the ticket, and in common with any such transaction requires appropriate review and approval prior to issuing."

:s

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Can TfL-sold seasons not be changed over at TfL-Rail or London Overground stations?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Can TfL-sold seasons not be changed over at TfL-Rail or London Overground stations?

My gut instinct is they can't, given they'll be using an NR Ticket Issuing System and should be retailing in accordance with National Rail procedures, whereas they'll have been issued through TfL's infrastructure.

Also, having found a copy of the old London Underground "Season ticket altered availability" form through archive.org, it explicitly states that LU cannot issue changeovers for tickets bought from London Overground or National Rail. Whilst that doesn't conclusively prove that the reverse is also true, I'd suggest it certainly hints towards it.

For bonus points, LU charge a £5 admin fee for doing a changeover, and you can only do one per ticket. If you need a further change during the period of validity, it's refund and reissue time!

Status
Not open for further replies.