• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nuneham Viaduct shut - Didcot- Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LYRobert

Absolutely- perfect length for 99.5% of the population.
Yes, OK, but we technocrats would like more details. For example, why so many temporary piles? How big are they, and how long? Were they driven or bored? How far down do they go before ground of an adequate bearing strength was found? Will they be filled? - and if so what with? What will the supporting beam be like? and - and - and . . .

jfowkes

Yes, OK, but we technocrats would like more details. For example, why so many temporary piles? How big are they, and how long? Were they driven or bored? How far down do they go before ground of an adequate bearing strength was found? Will they be filled? - and if so what with? What will the supporting beam be like? and - and - and . . .
Given the time constraints, I'd rather they get on with doing it. Maybe we'll get a nice long technical video with a very exhausted Stuart Calvert after June 10th.

webweasel

Well from the video, it looks like 12 round driven piles on each side. Given the number I’d hope they wouldn’t need to fill them as well.

I’m guessing the large number is to reduce the anticipated load so the weak bearing capacity of the ground can cope and they don’t have to be stupidly deep (unlike the anticipated 25m permanent piles).

Last edited:

mr_moo

I stress that I'm not involved in this project at all, and thus my answers here are pure educated guesses, but I am a railway engineer and a chartered member of ICE, so here's my thoughts...

why so many temporary piles
Given the timescales that this job was done in, the calculations to work out how many piles would be genuinely needed would take too long, and would involve some pretty big assumptions about the ground type anyway. If this were a project on a normal timescale you'd do some robust ground investigation, but there's no time for that here, plus the ground is known to be settling/moving/substandard because, well... :)
Accordingly, the design methodology is likely to look more like 'take whatever information we can glean from similar situations and any records we have available. Make some pretty generous assumptions about the loadings and the ground stiffness and stability. Work out the resultant number of piles required. Double or even triple it if the assumptions were big. Go for installation.

How big are they, and how long?
Almost certainly 660mm diameter as this was one of the most common pile types used on the electrification project, and thus is probably what was in a store somewhere. The piles look very much like leftover electrification foundation piles - look at the tops - those are screw fixings for OLE mast brackets.

How long - piles were frequently up to 5m long, sometimes longer, so probably about this.
Length was probably also 'driven to refusal', or driven until they were presenting a certain resistance force. By doiing this you can install to a reasonable level of confidnce that the piles can bear a certain amount of weight, and thus would be suitable for the temporary scenario.
This is also supported by the pile tops all being slightly different heights - being driven to a force rather than a depth would mean they all reach that force at slightly different points.

Were they driven or bored
Almost certainly vibrated or hammered (or a bit of both) down. You're putting these into a river bed so you really don't want to be boring or augering if you don't have to.

How far down do they go before ground of an adequate bearing strength was found?
The designers probably only had a very rough idea of what they could expect for that, hence my above assumption of driving to a force rather than a depth.

Will they be filled?
Unlikely. If they were filled they would be filled with concrete, which would make removal much harder. Given these are temporary, almost certainly with the river authority demanding a removable solution, you want them to be able to be removed fairly easily, or, if they refuse to come back out again, able to be cut off at the river bed.

What will the supporting beam be like
My best guess would be something like the 'superprop' from mabey: https://www.mabeyhire.co.uk/MabeyHi...ropping-and-Jacking-Brochure-web.pdf?ext=.pdf
Probably a plan to cut the tops of the piles off at the same level and place some props across the top.
However, there's a plethora of options for this one.

They would also almost certainly have lots of monitoring sensors on the piles and props to ensure he piles don't shift too much when they are loaded.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
With this lack of certainty I wonder if they need to take precautions in case the span starts settling back during the abutment work. For example they could leave the middle or the sides of the existing one in place while they build the first part of the new one, so there is always something to catch the span if it drops.

JamesT

Established Member
With this lack of certainty I wonder if they need to take precautions in case the span starts settling back during the abutment work. For example they could leave the middle or the sides of the existing one in place while they build the first part of the new one, so there is always something to catch the span if it drops.
The span will be being held up by the temporary structure in the river, won't it?

stuving

There was a lot of hammering, audible for miles around.
What I've seen in the background of those videos, mounted on a big digger, is a Movax side-grip vibratory pile driver (SG series). And TMS list one as part of their equipment for piling contracts, though call it SPH-75 (and they have hired in excavators). I think that's an outdated model name for the same thing, Movax having decided to make a clearer distinction between their side-grip vibrators and their pile hammers.

A Movax piling hammer would be a tall orange thing (man-size at least) that sits on top of a pile, and they are sometimes used to take over once a pile being vibrated in has reached "refusal". But I've seen so sign of one of those.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
More news on Twitter: https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1651886169997692929?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
Piles are down 15 metres I think he said.
That's a good update, succinct and informative. Good to see it coming from an engineer (I think) rather than PR people.

They've made impressive progress considering the mobilisation was almost from scratch when the previous grouting scheme failed to prevent the subsidence increasing. Having spent quite a few years planning and designing temporary works schemes (including emergency response work on occasion), I can see how much effort must have been put into this!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The span will be being held up by the temporary structure in the river, won't it?
In view of the preceding post mentioning uncertainty about the ground conditions under the temporary structure, I wondered if there was a risk of it starting to sink under the weight of the span.

Oxfordblues

Impressive indeed. I especially like the deployment of a Network Rail river-boat to ferry staff around. Do they have a small fleet of these or was it perhaps hired-in from a local boatyard?

snowball

Established Member
In view of the preceding post mentioning uncertainty about the ground conditions under the temporary structure, I wondered if there was a risk of it starting to sink under the weight of the span.
I would have thought the numerous piles under the temporary structure provide much better support than anything under the original abutment. However, there will be jacks between the pile-capping platform and the bridge span, so these can be extended or supplemented by chocks if there's settlement and if it isn't too disastrous.

Snow1964

Established Member
I would have thought the numerous piles under the temporary structure provide much better support than anything under the original abutment. However, there will be jacks between the pile-capping platform and the bridge span, so these can be extended or supplemented by chocks if there's settlement and if it isn't too disastrous.

There is also lot less load, basically got deadweight of a static steel bridge deck.

Completely different to also having the dynamic load of moving train added to the weight, plus any slight wheel flat on a train, creates a like hammering in like vibration into the foundations.

So temporary piles carry much lower load than the permanent ones.

Saj8

From 2nd May GWR will start running shuttles between Oxford and Radley, and between Didcot and Culham. It will be pilotman working at both ends, using the down line to and from Radley, and the up line to and from Culham. Trains will not be able to call at Appleford in the Culham direction, due to the platform being on the offside and no DOO equipment fitted, but will be able to call in the Didcot direction.

LYRobert

From 2nd May GWR will start running shuttles between Oxford and Radley, and between Didcot and Culham. It will be pilotman working at both ends, using the down line to and from Radley, and the up line to and from Culham. Trains will not be able to call at Appleford in the Culham direction, due to the platform being on the offside and no DOO equipment fitted, but will be able to call in the Didcot direction.
They have gone to the trouble of providing a service, and yet only calling at Appleford in one direction. That's bad, isn't it? Why can't they provide a proper service? Is it because they are going to use one track to give rail access to the works, do you think? There will be a lot of spoil coming out when the abutment is demolished, and it could go by rail. But where to?

The exile

Established Member
They have gone to the trouble of providing a service, and yet only calling at Appleford in one direction. That's bad, isn't it? Why can't they provide a proper service? Is it because they are going to use one track to give rail access to the works, do you think? There will be a lot of spoil coming out when the abutment is demolished, and it could go by rail. But where to?
No crossover, I would imagine, and I don’t think the “Kletterweiche” would go down very well with the safety authorities!

DelW

Established Member
The shuttles have to go out and back on the same track, so whichever one they use one of the Appleford calls will be stopping in the "wrong" direction for that platform.

The only crossovers are at Kennington Junction (between Oxford and Radley) and between Appleford and Didcot.

JamesT

Established Member
I think the implication from at least one of the videos with NR was that spoil was going to be removed by road.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think the implication from at least one of the videos with NR was that spoil was going to be removed by road.
Digging back the embankment a few metres from the abutment, the spoil would only fill a handful of wagons. And it would have to be got along and up the embankment and into the train somehow. Far easier just to bring a truck up near the site, drop the spoil straight from the digger, and swap trucks when full.

nickswift99

No crossover, I would imagine, and I don’t think the “Kletterweiche” would go down very well with the safety authorities!
Could they not find some process involving a competent person on the platform to allow the train to safely arrive/depart?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Could they not find some process involving a competent person on the platform to allow the train to safely arrive/depart?
For a station which sees, at the very most about 25 passengers a day?

For a station with such low use I wouldn't be surprised to see it permanently lose all of its train services in the next few years...

Status
Not open for further replies.