• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nuneham Viaduct shut - Didcot- Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelW

Established Member
Interesting pics thanks. So we now know for sure they're not jacking at the very end of the span, which presumably gives much more working room around the existing pier to demolish it?

Does it look as though there’s more jacking force being used under the middle main girder, and is that what would be expected, ie half the overall weight is supported in the centre, and a quarter at each side?
Since the transverse beams appear to be continuous across both spans, rather than separate for each track, theoretically the centre reaction onto the jacks would be 62.5% of the total load, and the end reactions 18.75% each. In practice the jack supports aren't rigid and it's not a uniformly distributed load, so it will vary from that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Since the transverse beams appear to be continuous across both spans, rather than separate for each track, theoretically the centre reaction onto the jacks would be 62.5% of the total load, and the end reactions 18.75% each. In practice the jack supports aren't rigid and it's not a uniformly distributed load, so it will vary from that.
Thanks, I knew someone would have a better idea than me about the relative loads. I think the only thing I was sure about was it definitely wouldn’t be an equal 3 way split…

stuving

I was expecting the support to be spread out more, rather than using just the few points chosen on a single cross-beam. Those points were never intended to be used as bearings, and the flanges of the cross-beams are particularly vulnerable to rusting. But the central support, from what those pictures show, is bigger, so perhaps it does do that.

And doesn't the whole platform with its 24 piles, and the structure on top, look rather oversized for those spindly little jacks that are doing the work? The total weight on them isn't that much anyway: about two-thirds of the span's weight, say 110 tons.

DelW

Established Member
Thanks, I knew someone would have a better idea than me about the relative loads. I think the only thing I was sure about was it definitely wouldn’t be an equal 3 way split…
If the transverse beams had been in two sections, meeting end-to-end above the centre jacks, then the quarter / half / quarter would have been appropriate (subject to the same real-world variations). Years of temporary works design has left these sorts of numbers burnt into my brain much more firmly than more useful things, like what I came upstairs for :'(.

stuving

Ah, I see where you are coming from - I thought those numbers looked familiar! But while that assumption of a uniformly loaded beam might work for the deck structure (including the cross-beams), I don't think the three main girders would fit it. Assuming (based on no actual knowledge) that the deck is half the mass, and each girder one sixth, you get about 48% of the weight on the centre support.

DelW

Established Member
Ah, I see where you are coming from - I thought those numbers looked familiar! But while that assumption of a uniformly loaded beam might work for the deck structure (including the cross-beams), I don't think the three main girders would fit it. Assuming (based on no actual knowledge) that the deck is half the mass, and each girder one sixth, you get about 48% of the weight on the centre support.
Yes, I was making the rather sweeping assumption that in terms of loads onto the jacks, the transverse beam above the jacks acted as a rigid member with a UDL throughout. The reality will depend (among other factors you mention) on the relative stiffness of the bridge beam above and the trusses below. It's also possible that the jacks are interlinked hydraulically to maintain the intended load sharing. Fortunately someone else is being paid to worry about this one!

Hellzapoppin

Not quite sure what you mean but there is a catenary wire across the bridge where the operational cables are protected and supported from.

TB

In this case, it is normal line speed in both directions, except for 15 over the points at Kennington junction in the up direction. The line speed is 90 in the down direction (Radley to Oxford) and 60 in the up direction. (Oxford to Radley.)

So, and apologies if this is a daft question, if it is normal line speed bar that one set of points, why is the shuttle service being given 19 minutes from Didcot to Culham compared to the normal 7ish?

Saj8

Because from Didcot to Culham, the up line is being used in the wrong direction, so the line speed is 60mph rather than 90. Plus, the train has to stop at the signal before Appleford Crossing, so that the pilot can contact the signaller to gain authority to enter the single line section, and then pass that authority on to the driver in the form of a briefing. This will take an extra few minutes.

Doms1

The embankment and abutment have been removed and excavated to around 10m back today. A small section of the abutment on the upriver side remained to be demolished when I went past, but I imagine that has also gone by now. I’ll try and take some pictures when I pass tomorrow.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The embankment and abutment have been removed and excavated to around 10m back today. A small section of the abutment on the upriver side remained to be demolished when I went past, but I imagine that has also gone by now. I’ll try and take some pictures when I pass tomorrow.
Thanks very much!

DaveHarries

Established Member
Yes, good to see them doing it: clearly they intend to get it back open ASAP. Meanwhile I have been enjoying trips on the bus between Swindon and Oxford on which there is a ticket acceptance arrangement. Given the replacement buses between Didcot and Oxford it is probably just as quick, if not quicker, to get off the train at Swindon and use that Swindon - Oxford bus. Cuts the cost of the trip too.

Dave

Jimini

Established Member
Yes, good to see them doing it: clearly they intend to get it back open ASAP. Meanwhile I have been enjoying trips on the bus between Swindon and Oxford on which there is a ticket acceptance arrangement. Given the replacement buses between Didcot and Oxford it is probably just as quick, if not quicker, to get off the train at Swindon and use that Swindon - Oxford bus. Cuts the cost of the trip too.

Dave

As someone who travels from Coventry to Reading on a weekly basis, it's a royal pain in the proverbial and I'm very much looking forward to it being open again! :D

DelW

Established Member
Perhaps, though I can't help but feel we are half way through the planned closure, and we are still in the "demolition" phase.
Don't forget that, as well as what's visible in the photo, a lot of design work for temporary and permanent works, mobilisation of workforce and equipment, health and safety checks, method statements and risk assessments will have had to be done in the last five weeks. With working over water, and involving an old structure, the latter will have been a considerable amount of work, with sign off needed from several organisations. I'd say that all that, plus the physical work on site, is an impressive achievement in just five weeks.

fandroid

Established Member
Civil Engineering projects always look a complete shambles up until a short time before completion. This looks to be a very efficiently crafted shambles. Congratulations to my fellow engineers

InOban

Established Member
I assume that the designs for the replacement structures can't be finalised until they've removed all of the original. Even test bores have been known to miss crucial information.

fgwrich

Established Member

jfowkes

If you want to know just how much of the existing embankment and wing wall has been removed, have a look at the photos from Teignmouth based TMS Marine who are working on behalf of Balfour Beatty - the last two photos are particularly impressive!

For those who are blissfully free of Facebook, there's also some photos on their website.

Nicholas43

Latest update from Network Rail is here. Slightly oddly, it says it's for May 19, but the pictures are from this last week, around 10 May. Today 12 May they have completely removed the failed abutment and were laying a hardcore track to bring in (I assume) the machinery to hammer the piles to support the foundations of the new abutment.
(Photo shows south span propped from raft in the river, void underneath south end of south span, big gap where failed abutment and a lot of the embankment have been removed.)

Attachments

• Nuneham viaduct 230512.jpg
    Nuneham viaduct 230512.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 276
Last edited:

quantinghome

Established Member
I assume that the designs for the replacement structures can't be finalised until they've removed all of the original. Even test bores have been known to miss crucial information.
The new abutment piles are going to a significant depth (20m+ IIRC). There would be little difference in geological profile obtained from a borehole at the centre of the abutment and one at the edge of the embankment (which is the likely location for a test borehole). Given the bridge has been monitored for some time and an alternative ground improvement option was being implemented to prior to the abutment failing, we can be pretty sure that the geotechnical data required for pile design was already available - and this probably explains how NR's designers were able to get the new abutment foundation design done so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.