• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYMR news and updates.

william.martin

On Moderation
So I have created a thread 'severn valley railway news and updates' so I thought I would create one for this line - I want to start off with a question about 926 Repton: How long has it been TPWS fitted as when I visited for a week over Easter, she hooked onto the back of the 31 heading from Grosmont to Pickering. A few weeks later it was rostered to run all the way to Whitby despite being told by a very kind volunteer who gave me a special acces tour of Grosmont MPD who works in the diesel department (mainly on one of the 24's which he nicknamed 'hell on wheels') and said when 926 was shunting around Grosmont and I asked if it was waiting to swap with the Q6 to Whitby and he said no because it didn't have TPWS - so does anybody know when it was fitted?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swimbar

Due to a pre-booked event the railway will be closed on Monday 12 June. Due to this we are not planning to operate services or open outlets (Booking Office, Customer Services, Tea Room and Shop) at Pickering Station.

Goathland & Grosmont Station Shops & Tea Rooms will be open for walk-in visitors only.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we look forward to reopening on Tuesday 13th June.

Given the current weather restricting Steam Operations could be some handy income!

alexl92

Established Member
So I have created a thread 'severn valley railway news and updates' so I thought I would create one for this line - I want to start off with a question about 926 Repton: How long has it been TPWS fitted as when I visited for a week over Easter, she hooked onto the back of the 31 heading from Grosmont to Pickering. A few weeks later it was rostered to run all the way to Whitby despite being told by a very kind volunteer who gave me a special acces tour of Grosmont MPD who works in the diesel department (mainly on one of the 24's which he nicknamed 'hell on wheels') and said when 926 was shunting around Grosmont and I asked if it was waiting to swap with the Q6 to Whitby and he said no because it didn't have TPWS - so does anybody know when it was fitted?
Repton has been cleared for the Whitby portion for a few years, I am fairly certain.

markindurham

Repton has been cleared for the Whitby portion for a few years, I am fairly certain.
Yes, I've had her on the front out of Whitby an a few occasions.

FWIW, 5428 was recently delayed returning to Grosmont-Whitby duties after maintenance whilst paperwork was dealt with.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Flying Scotsman has hauled the Royal Train along the NYMR today to commemorate both the 50th anniversary of the NYMR & the 100th anniversary of FS.

That is impressive work. FS was in Euston at 2200 on Saturday night having hauled a charter to and from Chester. To get from there to Grosmont in less than 48 hours is good going. it must also have been done even more hush hush than normal!

Twingo37175

Looking at the chat on York railcam yesterday, it came to the NRM then, not sure whether hauled or in steam. The head code (5z60) appeared on traksy etc, but not real time trains.

50002Superb

Where did it pick the stock up from?

I’d really like to get a photo of the stock personally (not fussed what’s on the front).

I’m guessing it will be heading back to Wolverton?

Veteran Member
Where did it pick the stock up from?

I’d really like to get a photo of the stock personally (not fussed what’s on the front).

I’m guessing it will be heading back to Wolverton?
I strongly suspect that the "Royal carriages" or "Royal Train" mentioned in different reports were NYMR stock - the only photo I have found so far
https://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/new...welcomes-king-mark-50th-anniversary/#gallery7
appears to show a Pullman behind the loco. (Happy to be proved wrong!)

Any train in which the Monarch travels is a Royal Train - there are plenty of examples of lesser formations being used, such as on the annual visit to Tattenham Corner.

But I was wrong...

Last edited:

50002Superb

I strongly suspect that the "Royal carriages" or "Royal Train" mentioned in different reports were NYMR stock - the only photo I have found so far
https://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/new...welcomes-king-mark-50th-anniversary/#gallery7

Any train in which the Monarch travels is a Royal Train - there are plenty of examples of lesser formations being used, such as on the annual visit to Tattenham Corner.
I’ve seen photos confirming that the actual royal train stock is also being used as part of the train

See here: https://twitter.com/royalfamily/status/1668237418300858369?s=46&t=BM205xSI_a2WpM7mwwwJ7Q

And here: https://twitter.com/railwaymuseum/status/1668242308209295361?s=46&t=BM205xSI_a2WpM7mwwwJ7Q

Looks like it headed to Kings Cross afterwards but no reference to it on Real Time Trains

Last edited:

Twingo37175

Having seen it 2 feet away at Donny tonight, I can confirm it was genuine royal train (from memory with 2922 and 2923 in the consist)

Veteran Member
I’ve seen photos confirming that the actual royal train stock is also being used as part of the train

See here: https://twitter.com/royalfamily/status/1668237418300858369?s=46&t=BM205xSI_a2WpM7mwwwJ7Q

And here: https://twitter.com/railwaymuseum/status/1668242308209295361?s=46&t=BM205xSI_a2WpM7mwwwJ7Q

Looks like it headed to Kings Cross afterwards but no reference to it on Real Time Trains

Apologies - the "Pullman" I thought I saw was the Mk2 brake.

I assume the overnight stop beforehand was on the railway too, which must be about the furthest off the main line the train has run.
Evidently not, if it left York at 0557 per post #17,

Last edited:

Tractor37

I watched it depart York yesterday morning at 0557 as 1Z80. I don’t know what time it arrived for the 67 to be taken off (which was stabled in the parcels sidings) to be replaced by Scotsman though. I’d just arrived with the first train from Leeds. But was definitely at least 3 Royal Train coaching stock in the formation.

Ryry

Has north star left the nymr or is it still there.

Just looking as the rosters and I've not seen it out in a long while

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Has north star left the nymr or is it still there.

Just looking as the rosters and I've not seen it out in a long while
Still there but no currently in traffic

kje7812

I understand that there's an engine problem. Broken cylinder head stud or the like?
A 'fractured cylinder head bolt' according to the owning group newsletter:

In other news, 31466 has arrived as I type to provide extra cover, and recent rainfall and the forecast means the NYMR is preparing to resume steam working over the moors. I saw via the webcam 926 working beyond Goathland today.

Ryry

A 'fractured cylinder head bolt' according to the owning group newsletter:

In other news, 31466 has arrived as I type to provide extra cover, and recent rainfall and the forecast means the NYMR is preparing to resume steam working over the moors. I saw via the webcam 926 working beyond Goathland today.
31466 sent you with 2 class 20s. RTT scheduled 1030 department to tyseley steam town. Presuming that's for the class 20s that brought the class 31 up

Steam services to resume on Thursday between Grosmont and Pickering

Last edited:

william.martin

On Moderation
The NYMR seem to have returned back to there normal 3 steam and 1 diesel service with what I believe is 80136's first appearance of the year.

railfan99

Established Member

But I was wrong...

At which station did The KIng board and subsequently alight from his Royal Train?

william.martin

On Moderation
Are you sure? He got off at Pickering and the Royal Train had come from York
Quoting from NYMR website:

During His Majesty’s visit to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, the Royal Train journeyed from Grosmont to Pickering, where The King unveiled a plaque to memorialise the occasion. He also took the opportunity to view Flying Scotsman, which turned 100 on 24th February 2023, and had been specially prepared for the occasion: its roof painted white and new lamps fitted to the cab, in line with the tradition of hauling the Royal Train.

Twingo37175

A bit of googling provides the following (from the Yorkshire Post):-

At York, both the King and the Flying Scotsman joined the train for the leg to Pickering, where the monarch was due to visit the North Yorkshire Moors Railway to mark both the heritage line’s 50th birthday and the Flying Scotsman’s 100th anniversary.

railfan99

Established Member
A bit of googling provides the following (from the Yorkshire Post):-

At York, both the King and the Flying Scotsman joined the train for the leg to Pickering, where the monarch was due to visit the North Yorkshire Moors Railway to mark both the heritage line’s 50th birthday and the Flying Scotsman’s 100th anniversary.

Great that The King and entourage experienced some main line travel as well as on the branches. Terrific that he went through one of the 'home of railways', Darlington.

But (perhaps for security reasons) the blinds in all cars seem to be permanently down if the few YouTube videos I've seen are a good representation. So do the travellers including His Majesty ever see any of the countryside, or wave to people when passeing through stations? I wouldn't like to travel in any conveyance when I can't see out the window.