• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYMR news and updates.

Veteran Member
Initial 2024 NYMR published timetable showed the usual 5 Whitby's peak season, but a revised 2024 timetable issued recently shows only 4 Whitby's running at the same times throughout the operating season, with additional trains only between Pickering and Grosmont during the peak.
Thank you, I hadn't checked their website recently.
I notice that the high season "late" extra from Whitby is cancelled throughout, which will reduce operating hours.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lineisclear

But not everyone travelling will have a pass. I will be up at Easter and my mum ( who IS one of the local people who WILL cane a free pass!) will want to go but I will be paying again. If we take the kids that will be another adult and child pass. If my partner comes that's 4. of those, 2 will be used again in the 12 month window.

That means one free pass has generated perhaps 3 paying customers. Plus what i assume is a very helpful gift aid bonus!
Describing it as annual pass may give the wrong impression. To meet Gift Aid rules it’s a personal entitlement to another trip on production of evidence of the initial paid for one

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Describing it as annual pass may give the wrong impression. To meet Gift Aid rules it’s a personal entitlement to another trip on production of evidence of the initial paid for one
to most normal people that is exactly what it is though. The fine detail of gift aid process/system passes most ( me included) by.

lineisclear

to most normal people that is exactly what it is though. The fine detail of gift aid process/system passes most ( me included) by.
Its fair to say it can give the original ticket purchaser free travel for 12 months but it's not transferable. To be valid the original purchaser has to produce evidence of the original purchase and will then be issued with further free ticket. That has to be repeated for each additional use.

SteveM70

Established Member
Its fair to say it can give the original ticket purchaser free travel for 12 months but it's not transferable. To be valid the original purchaser has to produce evidence of the original purchase and will then be issued with further free ticket. That has to be repeated for each additional use.

So, as I said in post #145, free travel for a year. The semantics around gift aid are just that

lineisclear

So, as I said in post #145, free travel for a year. The semantics around gift aid are just that
You may regard them as mere words but they are terms and conditions that must be complied with before any further free travel ticket can be issued. A 12 month "travel pass" would imply that all the holder has to do is produce the pass when travelling which is not the case. He or she still has to obtain another ticket each time they travel which will be issued free if the terms and conditions have been met.

SteveM70

Established Member
You may regard them as mere words but they are terms and conditions that must be complied with before any further free travel ticket can be issued. A 12 month "travel pass" would imply that all the holder has to do is produce the pass when travelling which is not the case. He or she still has to obtain another ticket each time they travel which will be issued free if the terms and conditions have been met.

OK, but the point I was making was around potential loss of revenue to NYMR from repeat visitors, not whether or not a returning visitor needed to go to the ticket office before getting on their train!

lineisclear

OK, but the point I was making was around potential loss of revenue to NYMR from repeat visitors, not whether or not a returning visitor needed to go to the ticket office before getting on their train!
Understood but what's been proven is that the loss is potential rather than actual. Granted there will be some who would have returned anyway during the 12 months but the NYMR will have had full fare plus 25 % if Gift Aided (and uptake rates are high). The opportunity of a further free trip may encourage the previous passenger to be accompanied by fare paying family and friends and of course to boost income from secondary spend. Unless there's no spare seats there is no cost involved only the loss of the fare from a further visit which possibly would not have happened if later travel had been chargeable.

The proof's in the pudding! Overall fare income has increased substantially, secondary spend even more so and Gift Aid is the icing on the cake.

John Luxton

Established Member
if receivers are appointed then assets ( locos, coaches, track equipment , machine tools, shop stock etc etc) are sold to meet outstanding liabilities. Whatever raises the most cash for the least effort. Remember what happened at Llangollen? The company directors are shown the door and staff locked out and believe you me, it's not very nice. If what's left of the business cannot be sold as a going concern then it's sold off in bits to make some recompense to staff and shareholders after the receivers have taken a hefty wedge in fees. However, I don't think for one minute that the NYMR is heading down this road. If this year's trading is not good then unpleasant decisions will have to be made but not involving turning it into a cycleway, yet!
I sometimes wonder if Llangollen Railway plc had organised its own auction of assets they may have raised enough to survive and avoided paying the receiver's their hefty fees. I gather the auction raised more than was expected.

lineisclear

I sometimes wonder if Llangollen Railway plc had organised its own auction of assets they may have raised enough to survive and avoided paying the receiver's their hefty fees. I gather the auction raised more than was expected.
You may be right but the problem is timing. Once the company is insolvent its directors cease to have any involvement so an auction conducted by them would have to pre date insolvency.

Belperpete

Established Member
The auditors report wasn't that extraordinary.
If it wasn't that extraordinary, how many other preserved railways have had their auditors say something similar?

Having realised mid 2022 that they were on course to make a major million plus loss that year, they should surely have taken action to ensure that they at least broke even in 2023, not just accepted that they were going to make another significant loss. The changes that they are making for this year, should have been made a year ago, at least.

Trestrol

Unfortunately not as they are awaiting the NYMR to replace tyres and springs on a couple of carriages.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
Unfortunately not due to two carriages needing new tyres and also new springs.
Probably more difficult than it sounds. It took us something like 10 months last year to have a new spring manufactured for one of our Hastings Line Pullmans at the K&ESR.

paul1609

Established Member
At present it's not the owning groups responsibility to get the work done.
In our case there were no liability, finance or ownership issues it was just a failure in normal service. It was the first one on this type of coach we had suffered in 20+ years. Despite trawling all the rest of the heritage railways nobody had a spare of this type of spring. The 10 months was the delay in getting them manufactured tested and fitted.

ryan125hst

Established Member
A few questions about the operations at the NYMR these days.

Firstly, why do the pullman dining services now convey no standard class seating? For years they had two or three standard coaches couple to the dining rake so I presume there's a reason why they don't do this any more?

Is there a reason they run with large gaps in the service? Looking at today's timetable, after 12 the next train from Pickering is at 14:10, but as that is pullman dining only, the next public train is 15:10 resulting in a 3 hour and 10 minute gap in the service. I understand that most people join the railway at Pickering and so the bulk of customers are probably at Grosmont or Whitby by then, but such gaps make it more difficult to get off and spend time at each station. It also means anyone wishing to start there day at Grosmont have limited options. I presume lowering costs is the reason, yet there are still four steam locos and one diesel loco in service today.

What is the toilet provision like these days? I recall seeing some news about the fitment of Controlled Emission Toilets (CET) to some carriages a couple of years ago. However, I saw a recent video yesterday where someone walked down through the carriages and there were signs visible on some toilet doors warning passengers not to use toilets while at a station while others appeared to be bolted shut.

Trestrol

Maybe a couple of answers from my knowledge of the NYMR.
The Pullman is a very heavy train, it puts a lot of strain on the locomotive pulling it up the bank. Reducing the load also means you can use a smaller engine.
The timetable is governed by Northerns timetable to Whitby. The NYMR has to fit into that as Northern are the primary operator on the Esk Valley Branch.
Yes there are coaches fitted with CET as this is a requirement to run on Network Rail. Internally they can still use conventional toilets,but these will be locked off before the train leaves Grosmont to Whitby.

ryan125hst

Established Member
The Pullman is a very heavy train, it puts a lot of strain on the locomotive pulling it up the bank. Reducing the load also means you can use a smaller engine.
That would make sense, they do seem to be using a small generator wagon these days for power. Presumably they have upgraded the kitchens and changed from gas to electric cooking? The extra weight and length has perhaps prevented the standard coaches being added.
The timetable is governed by Northerns timetable to Whitby. The NYMR has to fit into that as Northern are the primary operator on the Esk Valley Branch.
The Whitby services run in the same paths whether they are running a Yellow or Red timetable. It's extra internal services that they now run far less of.
Yes there are coaches fitted with CET as this is a requirement to run on Network Rail. Internally they can still use conventional toilets,but these will be locked off before the train leaves Grosmont to Whitby.
There must be a mixture of CET, non-CET and disused toilets in a set in that case as some seemed to be completely disused and of the ones that seemed to be available all had "Do not use in a station" signs on the outside.

Ryry

I thought 44806 could run to whitby. Currently only been doing Grosmont to pickering

Also class 47 isn't that mainline service aswell

Egton

44806 has been overhauled and kitted out to run to Whitby - but is still being "run-in" after its overhaul and has not yet had it's test run on the Esk Valley Line to get it certified.
The Class 47 is not passed out to run to Whitby