• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYMR news and updates.

Trestrol

200 plus at Pickering between the station, trout farm and trout farm crossing car parks. Not to mention the Council cr park further into Pickering.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Looking via the Goathland camera yesterday, through rather steamy windows, the train looked to be well-patronised.

Iskra

Established Member
Looking via the Goathland camera yesterday, through rather steamy windows, the train looked to be well-patronised.
It’s virtually full today. Very steamy/dirty windows. Hopefully the success of this will encourage more such trains in the future. It’s been a nice ride so far.

IMG_3473.jpeg

Gwr12345

Brittania is no longer the Locomotive at February as she's still needing repair. Apparently it's now Royal Scot no46100.

Ryry

Is north star ready to make an appearance this season.
Do nymr still have 2 class 31s

jrail1992

Evening, I'm in the process of planning my summer holidays (end of july) but the 2024 timetable isn't available yet. Does anyone have last years summer timetable that I could use as a rough guide please?

SeanG

This is the 2023 timetable pdf

And here is an image of the timetable

Attachments

• parkstfarestimetablesv2740wx960h (1).pdf
    179.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240308-182355.png
    Screenshot_20240308-182355.png
    667.3 KB · Views: 37

kje7812

Given the need to work around Northern services, that makes sense.
The website says tickets will available to book from the 13th March. It was certainly the case last year where you needed to specify which departure was your starting train. Presumably that's still the case so it's likely the timetables will be released on the same day (if not before).

John Luxton

Established Member
The following story popped up on my news feed late last night. I must admit I have never got round to visit the NYMR, though I have seen it many times on various TV dramas and documentaries over the years.

Could they be going to go the way of Llangollen?

Auditors cast 'significant doubt' on North Yorkshire Moors Railway's ability to operate as a going concern after financial losses​

Auditors who have produced a report on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway’s annual accounts have ‘cast significant doubt’ on its ability to continue as a going concern after a year in which operating costs rose dramatically.

SLC001

Sadly what I can find is behind a pay wall but rising operating costs has led to a loss of £0.5m. It appears that some difficult decisions need to be made. I have visited the area and often seen trains running as we walked near the line and it makes a lovely sight but have never paid anything to support the railway although we have had a few snacks etc. I await developments with some interest.
Just found a report on MSN which is not behind a paywall and the auditors have expressed concern about the rising costs which are escalating at which cannot be predicted with any certainty and the lack of passenger and visitor numbers post the pandemic. The railway is haemorrhaging cash and next winter could present a problem. NYMR plan is in part to operate more special days and such like (commercial activities whatever that means) but uncertainty about costs and visitor numbers is a concern.
Interesting that volunteer numbers have fallen by 15%

Last edited:

John Luxton

Established Member
Sadly what I can find is behind a pay wall but rising operating costs has led to a loss of £0.5m. It appears that some difficult decisions need to be made. I have visited the area and often seen trains running as we walked near the line and it makes a lovely sight but have never paid anything to support the railway although we have had a few snacks etc. I await developments with some interest.
Just found a report on MSN which is not behind a paywall and the auditors have expressed concern about the rising costs which are escalating at which cannot be predicted with any certainty and the lack of passenger and visitor numbers post the pandemic. The railway is haemorrhaging cash and next winter could present a problem. NYMR plan is in part to operate more special days and such like (commercial activities whatever that means) but uncertainty about costs and visitor numbers is a concern.
Interesting that volunteer numbers have fallen by 15%

That link I provided isn't behind a paywall it just came up on my computer and I have not susbcribed to anything. I will paste in the text:

The trust that runs the 18-mile heritage line submitted its accounts for the year ending February 2023 to the Charities Commission in December, and the auditors’ report was made available to the public last week.

The document states that the railway made a loss of over half a million pounds due to lower than expected footfall in the summer of 2022 and a huge increase in the price of coal and other materials related to the war in Ukraine.

In comparison to the year’s deficit of £519,000, the previous year the NYMR had a surplus of £2.4million. The net cash outflow was £2.3million, compared to an inflow of £407,000 the previous year.

The year ended with the trust’s bank balance being £1.4million, where it had recorded around £4million in 2022.

The figures are partly explained by the railway’s increased expenditure on coal, which has risen from £67,000 annually to around £308,000. Fuel now has to be sourced from overseas, but is no longer available from Russia.

The report also reveals that two former members of staff received ‘termination payments’ of £15,000 – and in 2022, the total of settlements made to departing employees was £84,000.

It was stated by the accountants that trustee and finance director Garry Mumford’s consultancy firm, Insight Associates Ltd, has received over £6,600 in fees from the railway, and almost £93,000 the previous year.

In a statement signed by vice-chair Andrew Scott, the trustees state that the NYMR is going through a period of ‘rebuilding and change’ post-Covid and is in a ‘period of transition’. The report reads: “Our wider charitable purpose will underpin a sustainable future. (There would be) a deficit under the traditional model.”

They admitted there was ‘some way to go’ to regain pre-Covid visitor footfall, but did include revenue figures for the autumn steam gala (up 42 per cent) and the Pullman dining and Santa Special trains (up 122 per cent since 2019).

Coal price and availability was cited as a ‘future risk’ as well as another pandemic, and as volunteer numbers have declined by around 15 per cent, future volunteers will be expected to be ‘multi-skilled’.

A period of ‘tight cash management’ is now necessary until at least August 2024, with the late winter period expected to be the most difficult to negotiate.

In comparison to the year’s deficit of £519,000, the previous year the NYMR had a surplus of £2.4million. The net cash outflow was £2.3million, compared to an inflow of £407,000 the previous year.

The year ended with the trust’s bank balance being £1.4million, where it had recorded around £4million in 2022.

The figures are partly explained by the railway’s increased expenditure on coal, which has risen from £67,000 annually to around £308,000. Fuel now has to be sourced from overseas, but is no longer available from Russia.

The report also reveals that two former members of staff received ‘termination payments’ of £15,000 – and in 2022, the total of settlements made to departing employees was £84,000.

It was stated by the accountants that trustee and finance director Garry Mumford’s consultancy firm, Insight Associates Ltd, has received over £6,600 in fees from the railway, and almost £93,000 the previous year.

In a statement signed by vice-chair Andrew Scott, the trustees state that the NYMR is going through a period of ‘rebuilding and change’ post-Covid and is in a ‘period of transition’. The report reads: “Our wider charitable purpose will underpin a sustainable future. (There would be) a deficit under the traditional model.”

They admitted there was ‘some way to go’ to regain pre-Covid visitor footfall, but did include revenue figures for the autumn steam gala (up 42 per cent) and the Pullman dining and Santa Special trains (up 122 per cent since 2019).

Coal price and availability was cited as a ‘future risk’ as well as another pandemic, and as volunteer numbers have declined by around 15 per cent, future volunteers will be expected to be ‘multi-skilled’.

A period of ‘tight cash management’ is now necessary until at least August 2024, with the late winter period expected to be the most difficult to negotiate.

However, the auditors included a note of warning about the trustees’ comments, stating: “We wish to draw attention to the assessment of a going concern, noting visitor numbers have not returned to pre-Covid levels and that costs have drastically increased. These events indicate that a material uncertainty exists and that casts significant doubt on the group and the parent charity’s ability to continue as a going concern. Our opinion is not modified.”

The ‘going concern’ section of the report also details of proposals to improve cash flow, such as operating trains later into the autumn, reintroducing the annual season ticket for summer 2024 and running further special events. The NYMR does expect to operate ‘for the forseeable future’ and will have ‘manageable’ shortfalls until the summer.

The NYMR said in a statement: “The current trading climate for all visitor attractions and charities is incredibly tough, and we are facing the same challenges as the rest of the heritage railway industry, visitor attractions and charities in general. This is due to a combination of factors, including the huge rise in the cost of utilities like electricity, and the rising price of coal.

“We operate a heritage fleet and line that requires significant ongoing maintenance and repair to ensure it can survive to be enjoyed by future generations; the cost of living crisis also impacts upon all charity fundraising which is so important to us, with people having less disposable income to dedicate to causes they believe in. However, we are incredibly fortunate to have a strong supporter base who are passionate about our long-term survival.

“We have a phased approach to ensure the railway is financially sustainable moving forward, which includes a variety of initiatives, including departmental restructures; increasing our commercial and fundraising income streams; a review of our assets; and a long-term capital/maintenance programme, which will enable us to package projects and seek external funding.”

thejuggler

Report from MSN.

Auditors merely doing what they should. If as an organisation they carry on as they have been over the last year they will be unable to operate,

Organisation know this and are taking steps to address the issues raised.

SeanG

Interesting that the annual pass, whilst continued for this year, has gone up nearly 25% from £40 to £49.50 (albeit it does provide outstanding value so I'm more than willing to pay that again).

It's good to see that the diesel gala is back on this year, and is included in the pass, hopefully it will provide a good source of income for them. Surprised to see it included in the pass whereas other special events are not, however.

I also note that they are now charging £15 for the shed tours which were free last year and always appeared to be booked up.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have visited the area and often seen trains running as we walked near the line and it makes a lovely sight but have never paid anything to support the railway although we have had a few snacks etc. I await developments with some interest.
here is an idea: pay for a ride on the line or part thereof next time you are in the area ;)

Just found a report on MSN which is not behind a paywall and the auditors have expressed concern about the rising costs which are escalating at which cannot be predicted with any certainty and the lack of passenger and visitor numbers post the pandemic.
The accounts are for the year to February 2023. The document states that the railway made a loss of over half a million pounds due to lower than expected footfall in the summer of 2022 and a huge increase in the price of coal with costs there rising from £67,000 to around £308,000.

The report also notes that the trust holds £1.4m in the bank - I wish I was a quid behind them

As you have never travelled on the line you wont have experienced the absolutely bursting trains, especially to Whitby. NYMR is the only heritage line ( outside of a spotter gala) where I have had to stand! I have been twice in 2023 and both times the trains were rammed. Anecdotal reports from family members who have travelled at different times suggest the same.
The railway is haemorrhaging cash and next winter could present a problem.
The linked MSN report does not mention "haemorrhaging cash". Those are your, in my view, inaccurate words ( as are the headlines on the linked report)

Could they be going to go the way of Llangollen?
I doubt it - every time I go they are stowed out.

I must admit I have never got round to visit the NYMR,
You should. Go. now. I insist.

Auditors merely doing what they should.
exactly - and the hyperbolic tone taken by the linked report and posters above is odd. The auditors have said: If you keep losing money like this you will be in trouble. Best do something about it!

That is a fairly standard audit comment!

Interesting that the annual pass, whilst continued for this year, has gone up nearly 25% from £40 to £49.50 (albeit it does provide outstanding value so I'm more than willing to pay that again
it is cracking value! £50 for (almost) unlimited free travel for a year on a premier league heritage railway? where do I sign?

SeanG

Whilst I agree that the Whitby trains are always rammed, unfortunately even on the same day the other trains on counter peak flows (IE away from Whitby in AM and towards Whitby PM) and the internal trains can be rather empty.

I don't get to visit mid week much but I do wonder what the loadings are like on a Tuesday in April outside of school holidays and whether it is worth them running a full service.

I feel that the quieter services could warrant a DMU and it's a shame that the 101 is out of service.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
(IE away from Whitby in AM and towards Whitby PM)
they are run for operational convenience though surely - i have been on those mid week on the core section that are surprisingly busy, even outside of school holiday times.

I feel that the quieter services could warrant a DMU and it's a shame that the 101 is out of service.
They are running two diesel services a day now including on the Whitby leg ( much to the annoyance of my gf on our last visit!)

Iskra

Established Member
Interesting that the annual pass, whilst continued for this year, has gone up nearly 25% from £40 to £49.50 (albeit it does provide outstanding value so I'm more than willing to pay that again).

It's good to see that the diesel gala is back on this year, and is included in the pass, hopefully it will provide a good source of income for them. Surprised to see it included in the pass whereas other special events are not, however.

I also note that they are now charging £15 for the shed tours which were free last year and always appeared to be booked up.
I agree it’s great value, possibly too good. I have heard of someone who returned 200+ times last year, but I’m not sure if that was just an exaggeration. I’ve got one on the go from January and the two of us are going again in April and probably again after that, as the cost of petrol is cheaper than the ticket costs of visiting most other railways and the NYMR has enough going on to allow return visits without it being boring.

On our return visits we will pay for parking and at least a couple of coffees so they still get income. I believe on the SVR it’s around £80 for the same thing? Perhaps next year they can raise the price, bundle it and call it a membership of some sort. However, it they go too high and don’t offer a day return they risk alienating casual visitors, so there’s a fine balance to be struck.

I’m not overly concerned about finances of the railway if they’ve got £1.5m in the bank; it’s no secret that the cost of everything is going up, it all sounds a bit like alarmism. Even on my early January visit the train was full, I suspect people will keep visiting, with the weather being the main driver of trade- as soon as the sun appears the Whitby trains are filled to the brim.

SeanG

I agree with the annual pass comments above. We have used it about 10 times, both as a family of 4 adults, a couple and on my own. Each time its £5 for parking, probably a tea and a bacon roll each, another tea or coffee etc...
That is money that we otherwise would have spent elsewhere whether that be at a railway or another tourist attraction. Even though we paid the £40 initially, we see it as a "free" day out on subsequent visits so are more likely to pay for additional things each visit

Swimbar

The accounts are for the period that ended 12 months ago when we were coming out of Covid. The report for year ending last month is the one that should be more of a reflection of the current situation and the future.