• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYMR news and updates.

SLC001

They may have £1.4m in the bank, but the year before it was £4m and that is a concern! Obviously the railway will know better what the situation is now, 12 months later than these accounts but when auditors qualify the accounts in such a way you must take note.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
They may have £1.4m in the bank, but the year before it was £4m and that is a concern! Obviously the railway will know better what the situation is now, 12 months later than these accounts but when auditors qualify the accounts in such a way you must take note.
Well quite clearly they have done something about it, because if they had had negative cashflow of £2.6M in the last twelve months they wouldn't still be running!

SLC001

The BBC has an article on the auditors report and so I wonder if this is what prompted NYMR to issue an update on 15th March 2024. Its tone is positive and optimistic but while I would like to put a link to The Yorkshire Post Page I am not sure it works. Also I don't know how to! I would like to think that the BBC would provide an update. Anyhow I quote from the article:

Finance director Garry Mumford said:

“It is important to note the auditor highlighted the notes in the accounts which discussed the difficulties the NYMR was facing at the time the report was written, in July 2023.

"These difficulties were around the cashflow challenges through the winter of 2023/24 (the one we are emerging from now) and the fact that at that stage we anticipated this would be very tight and therefore a risk. Like all businesses of our type, we have a huge cyclical cashflow with the winter having little or no income yet high costs on maintenance whilst we are not operating. The reality is, through good management over the 2023 year, we have come through the winter with cash headroom, so any potential problem has gone away."

“The NYMR navigated its way through the pandemic, relatively unscathed, however the past couple of years have been challenging with costs rising, post Covid 19. However, between February 2023 and February 2024, we have made some huge changes resulting in a positive movement in profitability of around half a million pounds. I am extremely positive about the 2024 operating season, and we are forecasting that the financial year ending February 2025, will show significant further improvement and that the result should be back to breaking even.”

There must be some good work going on behind the scenes at a time when running the railway must be challenging. Here's to a good summer season.

Belperpete

Established Member
Some carefully spun wording in that report.
"we have come through the winter with cash headroom" Well, they started the year off with £1.4m headroom. I suppose it is good news that some of that is still left, but I note that he is vague about how much.
"huge changes resulting in a positive movement in profitability of around half a million pounds" note that he says positive movement, not positive profitability.
"we are forecasting that the financial year ending February 2025, will show significant further improvement and that the result should be back to breaking even" so if they hope to be back to breaking even in the coming year, and that only after further significant improvement, that must mean that they made another loss in the year just gone, and a fairly significant one at that. So how much of that £1.4m is now left?

I would have been more reassured if he had been more open about the size of the latest loss, and how much is left in the reserves, rather than trying to spin it as good news.

Iskra

Established Member
Does anyone know which of the railway's diesel locomotives are certified to carry on to Whitby please? I know the 25 is, but what are the other options?

JRT

Same story, different link
(from York-based THE PRESS)

Accounts for the North Yorkshire Moors Railway Trust's (NYMR) year ending February 2023 were made public last week.

They show that the Pickering-based trust operating the 18-mile heritage railway made a loss of half a million pounds.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Some carefully spun wording in that report.
"we have come through the winter with cash headroom" Well, they started the year off with £1.4m headroom. I suppose it is good news that some of that is still left, but I note that he is vague about how much.
I would have been more reassured if he had been more open about the size of the latest loss, and how much is left in the reserves, rather than trying to spin it as good news.
Publishing actual figures for y/e 29/2/24 would have to wait for the audit, surely?

Belperpete

Established Member
Publishing actual figures for y/e 29/2/24 would have to wait for the audit, surely?
Publishing the definitive figures would. But no reason that figures can't be released in advance, as long as it is made clear that they are draft. Many companies issue profit warnings in advance.

Finance director Garry Mumford said:
“It is important to note the auditor highlighted the notes in the accounts which discussed the difficulties the NYMR was facing at the time the report was written, in July 2023.

The reality was that the NYMR was in difficulties long before the audited figures and accompanying report were published - it should have been evident long before the end of the financial year. How they managed to get through a whole operating season, digging themselves ever further into debt, beggars belief. Management should have been open about the situation, and taken action to resolve it, long before the season ended.

And now they seem to be trying to hide that they have made another loss.

The NYMR does seem to be a bit like a supertanker, that is taking a long time to change course to adapt to new realities. I have my doubts that just running a few more special events is going to make much material difference to the situation. A bit like the WI running a cake stall to fund the new church roof.

Twingo37175

The reality was that the NYMR was in difficulties long before the audited figures and accompanying report were published - it should have been evident long before the end of the financial year. How they managed to get through a whole operating season, digging themselves ever further into debt, beggars belief. Management should have been open about the situation, and taken action to resolve it, long before the season ended.

And now they seem to be trying to hide that they have made another loss.
Writing this as a senior finance manager in a university.
The audited figures will come out at the relevant point and I don't think they are trying to hide anything. Yes, major companies issue profit warnings, but they have shareholders trading shares on dividend expectations. The NYMR, is not in the same basis.

Equally, I cannot imagine that management only started taking action at the end of the season, they will have been taking mitigating action prior to that. Reading your comments what should they have done, stopped trading as costs increased? They had the cash in the bank to trade through a very challenging period and emerge out of it, plenty of others have not.

Belperpete

Established Member
The finance director's statement seems deliberately worded to try and mask that they have made another loss. If the NYMR doesn't have dividend expecting shareholders, surely that should mean they should be more open, not less.

To go through a whole operating season knowing that you are making thousands in loss every day you are operating, is bad enough. But to go through a second season making a loss is inexcusable. And the finance director doesn't even seem to be that confident that they are going to be in profit this year, only hoping for break even. I have little doubt that this slowness to make the necessary changes is why the auditors made their extraordinary report.

paul1609

Established Member
The finance director's statement seems deliberately worded to try and mask that they have made another loss. If the NYMR doesn't have dividend expecting shareholders, surely that should mean they should be more open, not less.

To go through a whole operating season knowing that you are making thousands in loss every day you are operating, is bad enough. But to go through a second season making a loss is inexcusable. And the finance director doesn't even seem to be that confident that they are going to be in profit this year, only hoping for break even. I have little doubt that this slowness to make the necessary changes is why the auditors made their extraordinary report.
I think you misunderstand how the finances of heritage railways work. Whilst the arrangements of the companies differ with a couple of exceptions they are all not for profit organisations. My railway made a loss in 2022, a smaller loss in 2023 as an adjustment and a recovery from the pandemic continues. Our loss in the 2023 season was actually less that the subsequent 2024 reduction in our electricity bills as energy costs have fallen. You generally target to make a small surplus but there are unforeseen unforeseens that you cant allow for. You have to use reserves or borrowing to cover them.

lineisclear

The auditors report wasn't that extraordinary. It accepted the directors decision that the NYMR is a going concern but observed that if things carried on as they were in the aftermath of the pandemic the railway would not be sustainable. That would hardly come as surprise to many other heritage railways and to other businesses in the hospitality sector. The particular problem for heritage railways is that ever more intrusive regulation imposes additional cost burdens coupled with costs such as fuel and utility charges skyrocketing. Fare income and secondary spend has increased considerably as the result of initiatives that have been taken but those increases were way outstripped by rising costs. In common with a number of other heritage railways the NYMR has to adapt its business model. The concept of a member/volunteer reliant operation sustained by the paying public no longer works and those days are not coming back. Different railways are adopting different survival models but the one thing that won't succeed is trusting that what worked in the past must work in the future. As far as railway operations go break even is likely to be a good result. The challenge will be what other activities and sources of income can be realised.

Egton

Does anyone know which of the railway's diesel locomotives are certified to carry on to Whitby please? I know the 25 is, but what are the other options?
Only NYMR Class 25 D7628 is Whitby registered.
Class 24 D5061 / Class 37-264 / Class 31-466 are not Whitby registered, neither is the Class 47 on hire from the West Somerset
Class 24 D5032 has been under overhaul for some years - and it was said would be Whitby registered when the overhaul is eventually complete

Both 31-128 and 37-403 have been hired in the recent past to provide additional Whitby diesel cover, but neither are on the NYMR at the moment

The 2024 timetable includes a Whitby diesel turn 6 days a week, though steam could be substituted if the 25 is not available

Iskra

Established Member
Only NYMR Class 25 D7628 is Whitby registered.
Class 24 D5061 / Class 37-264 / Class 31-466 are not Whitby registered, neither is the Class 47 on hire from the West Somerset
Class 24 D5032 has been under overhaul for some years - and it was said would be Whitby registered when the overhaul is eventually complete

Both 31-128 and 37-403 have been hired in the recent past to provide additional Whitby diesel cover, but neither are on the NYMR at the moment

The 2024 timetable includes a Whitby diesel turn 6 days a week, though steam could be substituted if the 25 is not available
Thank you for the thorough response, however do you about the 26 that is listed on the NYMR website as borrowed from the Bo’ness and Kinniel railway?

Egton

Thank you for the thorough response, however do you about the 26 that is listed on the NYMR website as borrowed from the Bo’ness and Kinniel railway?
The NYMR website loco information was last updated in 2019 !!
26-038 went back home to Bo'ness 2 or 3 years back [it was not Whitby registered].

Iskra

Established Member
The NYMR website loco information was last updated in 2019 !!
26-038 went back home to Bo'ness 2 or 3 years back [it was not Whitby registered].
Well that’s useful of them! Thanks for letting me know, and for being more accurate than their own website :D

Egton

The Ffestiniog and Severn Valley both reduced their timetables to reduce costs in response to the fall in passenger numbers - but they have the benefit of being self contained operations.
The NYMR's Whitby services are its best sellers, but it cannot significantly change the number or timings of those trains - because the have to slot into the limited number of available paths on the Network Rail line between Grosmont and Whitby. The inability to adjust its Whitby services then makes it equally difficult to alter the number or timings of its internal services.
The length of the route, and its limited number of passing places handicaps the NYMR with regard to timetable flexibility.
However, the Sunday timetable [both Whitby and internal] was reduced a couple of years from that previously on offer - and the peak season summer timetable in 2024 will only have 4 trains through to / from Whitby compared to the 5 each way of previous years - so there is some evidence of cost cutting.
And of course, Class 4 MT 76079 has been offered for sale, .

Veteran Member
the peak season summer timetable in 2024 will only have 4 trains through to / from Whitby compared to the 5 each way of previous years
RTT shows the usual 5 Mon-Thur in the summer holidays

Egton

Initial 2024 NYMR published timetable showed the usual 5 Whitby's peak season, but a revised 2024 timetable issued recently shows only 4 Whitby's running at the same times throughout the operating season, with additional trains only between Pickering and Grosmont during the peak.

ricj

So theoretically, what would/could/might actually happen if the worst case scenario did occur? Would everything be sold and the whole line go into mothballs?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The auditors report wasn't that extraordinary. It accepted the directors decision that the NYMR is a going concern but observed that if things carried on as they were in the aftermath of the pandemic the railway would not be sustainable. That would hardly come as surprise to many other heritage railways and to other businesses in the hospitality sector. The particular problem for heritage railways is that ever more intrusive regulation imposes additional cost burdens coupled with costs such as fuel and utility charges skyrocketing. Fare income and secondary spend has increased considerably as the result of initiatives that have been taken but those increases were way outstripped by rising costs. In common with a number of other heritage railways the NYMR has to adapt its business model. The concept of a member/volunteer reliant operation sustained by the paying public no longer works and those days are not coming back. Different railways are adopting different survival models but the one thing that won't succeed is trusting that what worked in the past must work in the future. As far as railway operations go break even is likely to be a good result. The challenge will be what other activities and sources of income can be realised.
A sensible overview - much more measured than the media commentary and some posters here.

lineisclear

So theoretically, what would/could/might actually happen if the worst case scenario did occur? Would everything be sold and the whole line go into mothballs?
If a charity limited by guarantee, such as the NYMR, becomes insolvent an independent administrator would normally be appolnted to recover as much money as possible for its creditors with any secured creditors like a lending bank having priority. The nature of a heritage railway business means its unlikely that the administrator could find a buyer willing to pay enough to take it over at a price that would satisfy the remaining creditors so the assets would probably be sold to raise as much for creditors as possible and the company liquidated. The members of a company limited by guarantee are each liable in that event to contribute the amount specified in the company's articles ( usually £1). In practice dependence on non transferable railway essentials like statutory permission to operate means there would be little prospect of a new entity taking over even assuming that enough assets remained for viable operation. In accordance with charity law any assets after payment of creditors would have to be transferred to another charity with similar public benefit purposes.

That's the theory. In practice the NYMR has already achieved a major improvement in its financial performance so the gloomy scenario above is just theory.

SLC001

While I agree with DarloRich and lineisclear, history tells us that companies that give reassurances like this often fold later on. They cannot frighten investors and customers and sadly the last to know when something does go wrong are the employees. However in this case, I have no reason to doubt their latest statement. They have got through winter, are entering the period when they can expect more customers thereby boosting cashflow and will have taken action in the light of what has happened and when future forecasts are more likely to be accurate than in the past. They will understand what future costs are likely to be and plan accordingly - who could have forecast rising fuel costs and the cost of living crisis?

SteveM70

Established Member
Looking at the NYMR's website, it seems that they only sell day return tickets for intermediate journeys, and that anything longer is an all day, all line rover. Fair enough. But £49.50 is a lot of money.

But the thing that amazes me is that these come with free travel for the next 12 months, so whilst it might serve to generate some return visits and with that the discretionary spend on refreshments etc, anyone who would normally visit twice or more will do so for free.

How much revenue is that losing them?

And to what degree is that further distorting their already imbalanced income across the calendar year?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Looking at the NYMR's website, it seems that they only sell day return tickets for intermediate journeys, and that anything longer is an all day, all line rover. Fair enough. But £49.50 is a lot of money.

But the thing that amazes me is that these come with free travel for the next 12 months, so whilst it might serve to generate some return visits and with that the discretionary spend on refreshments etc, anyone who would normally visit twice or more will do so for free.

How much revenue is that losing them?
I doubt it loses them much money really. many people wont be in a position to visit more than once or twice a year. If you are not local how often will you drive over to Grosmont or Pickering? It is hard "just to be in the area" !

SteveM70

Established Member
I doubt it loses them much money really. many people wont be in a position to visit more than once or twice a year. If you are not local how often will you drive over to Grosmont or Pickering? It is hard "just to be in the area" !

Plenty of population not too far away - Smogland etc

People on a week's holiday who get bad weather and are looking for rainy day stuff

Cranks

Just seems a strange decision, maybe it was the justification for a big hike in fares, but I don't know what they were before they got rid of full line day returns

lineisclear

it’s far from a strange decision. It’s a well researched and calculated one that enables the recovery of Gift Aid on fares….with a 25% uplift courtesy of HMG. As a result fare income has increased substantially over the old pay each journey model

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Plenty of population not too far away - Smogland etc

People on a week's holiday who get bad weather and are looking for rainy day stuff

Cranks

Just seems a strange decision, maybe it was the justification for a big hike in fares, but I don't know what they were before they got rid of full line day returns
But not everyone travelling will have a pass. I will be up at Easter and my mum ( who IS one of the local people who WILL cane a free pass!) will want to go but I will be paying again. If we take the kids that will be another adult and child pass. If my partner comes that's 4. of those, 2 will be used again in the 12 month window.

That means one free pass has generated perhaps 3 paying customers. Plus what i assume is a very helpful gift aid bonus!

D Williams

if receivers are appointed then assets ( locos, coaches, track equipment , machine tools, shop stock etc etc) are sold to meet outstanding liabilities. Whatever raises the most cash for the least effort. Remember what happened at Llangollen? The company directors are shown the door and staff locked out and believe you me, it's not very nice. If what's left of the business cannot be sold as a going concern then it's sold off in bits to make some recompense to staff and shareholders after the receivers have taken a hefty wedge in fees. However, I don't think for one minute that the NYMR is heading down this road. If this year's trading is not good then unpleasant decisions will have to be made but not involving turning it into a cycleway, yet!