• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Obese Travelers On Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

southern442

Established Member
Or are we saying woman aren't built for child birth and are the weaker sex?

When have you ever seen a man carry a child? I'm certain that if men got pregnant we would very much appreciate someone giving their seat up for us, as carrying a child is most certainly a painful and stressful experience no matter how 'strong' a person is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This does not work. I am 15 1/2st and classed as obese according to the unreliable BMI, even a top rugby player who is pure muscle can be classed as obese, and I can easily fit into any train seat without affecting other passengers so here I think you are talking a load of tripe....sorry, but you annoyed me with this comment.

If anything the rugby player is going to be more of an issue - most fat blokes have big bellies on an otherwise not very fat frame, but these are in front of them and don't tend to spill into another seat. Whereas the rugby player has wide shoulders and pushes you into the aisle or against the window.

southern442

Established Member
I enter into the Court, People's Exhibit One

• First, he was biologically a woman at the time. (I have nothing against trans people, he can identify as a man if he wants to, its fine by me, but at the time of getting pregnant, there were still plenty of female hormones left in him at the time of pregnancy.)
  • Second, this and the documentary about it is a good example of highlighting the hardships of pregnancy, so I'm sure this man would have wanted a seat.

Drogba11CFC

Perhaps that's just me though, I have before now, hauled two suited big newspaper reading business men in their 40's to their feet by their lapels and gave their seats to two ladies, one of who was heavily pregnant and both of whom had another child under 4 in their arms on a crowded tube before now. I had the same refrain as above : " But we've paid for these seats " to which my reply was : "You should have spent the money on courtesy lessons and a taxi and if you wish to make something of it, carry on"

Am I right in thinking that everyone in the carriage then clapped and cheered, as always happens at the end of these stories? :roll:

When it comes to giving up seats, I normally operate on the principle that if you don't ask, you don't get.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that everyone in the carriage then clapped and cheered, as always happens at the end of these stories? :roll:

When it comes to giving up seats, I normally operate on the principle that if you don't ask, you don't get.

I am more surprised that he is clearly saying he has assaulted two fare paying passengers and physically forced them to give up their seats

richw

Veteran Member
This does not work. I am 15 1/2st and classed as obese according to the unreliable BMI, even a top rugby player who is pure muscle can be classed as obese, and I can easily fit into any train seat without affecting other passengers so here I think you are talking a load of tripe....sorry, but you annoyed me with this comment.

I was narrower when I fat than now I've lost weight.

My belly went outwards. I've lost size by taking up rugby and regular gym work. My belly has mostly gone - still a bit there, but my chest and shoulders have expanded massively. My waist has lost around 10-12 inches.

I was 24 stone roughly this time last year (I weighed myself shortly after Christmas last year and thought some expletives), but could easily fit in one seat on a train back then, I'm now around 18stone and can't so easy fit in one seat as my upper frame has bulked out so much in muscle.

I now have problems at shoulder height especially on 3 2 layout seating on 150/1s which was a problem I never had when I was fat.

I got big by poor life style, I've been fortunate I had the motivation to reverse that poor life style and got back into sport. Early 2015 I was walking everywhere, hours on a slow treadmill at an incline, by July I was able to participate in rugby training, and was fit enough to manage to play a match by end of August.
My back ache, knee ache and ankle aches have all pretty much disappeared and I am a far happier person.

fowler9

Established Member
You know at the end of the day I think people need to be at least a bit more understanding. We have a serious problem with lack of capacity on our public transport. On top of this people just generally seem to be more selfish.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I must admit I am somewhat flabbergasted by some of the opinions and the vehemence with which they have been expressed on this thread. I cannot tell whether some people are being serious or treating this as a joke.

In any event I think this thread has had long enough to run and there is little else to be gained from allowing this exhibition to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.