• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Observations of face covering in shops, public transport and other public places

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

No I haven't. No different to saying "everyone was wearing hats"

It wouldn't have been normal for everyone to be wearing hats, but a few might under normal circumstances.

Whereas under normal circumstances you would pretty much never see a single person wearing a mask in a shop.

I really don't see how what you describe is any different to how people were behaving for the past few weeks, apart from now mostly having masks whereas before most didn't.

DB

Nor is 100% of people wearing hats. But you wouldn't remark about that if you saw it.

You might comment as it would be unusual, but if it was their choice, fair enough. The point here is that it's not choice with the masks - it's compulsion.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
You might comment as it would be unusual, but if it was their choice, fair enough. The point here is that it's not choice with the masks - it's compulsion.

And yet people were walking around the shops, in a completely normal manner.

Darandio

Established Member
I guess i'm the only one reading normal for exactly how it was intended. It's not that anyone looked normal because they were wearing masks, it's that they were going about their business in a more normal fashion.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I guess i'm the only one reading normal for exactly how it was intended. It's not that anyone looked normal because they were wearing masks, it's that they were going about their business in a more normal fashion.
Which is still wrong, because people should be adhering to at least 1m physical distancing.

BJames

Established Member
Think I mentioned elsewhere but on Avanti yesterday was in a carriage with just three other people (admittedly after moving to another carriage since mine became quite busy all of a sudden). None of them had their masks on so I took mine off too - no point wearing it to protect others when it makes me profoundly uncomfortable and they're not wearing theirs either, and I was at least 6-7 metres away from the nearest person in the carriage.

Exactly what I was about to say. That conversation is just going round in circles.

DB

And yet people were walking around the shops, in a completely normal manner.

Apart from wearing masks, which is not normal.

As as I said, they were walking around the shops in a completely normal manner last week, mostly without masks. Some of us are now excluded from shops by this ridiculous law, so you generally won't be able to judge whether or not we are walking around 'normally'.

BJames

Established Member
Which is still wrong, because people should be adhering to at least 1m physical distancing.
True. But they won't now. I've seen minimal evidence of social distancing in the last few weeks in all aspects of life.

BJames

Established Member
Observations in other places - went to the pub yesterday for the first time, we were shown to our table by a bouncer wearing their face covering. No members of staff (including those serving us) were wearing coverings and no people wearing either (obviously as you have to eat and drink) - tables spaced out a bit but other than that this truly did feel like normal. It was a great experience. And I noticed the bouncer had taken their mask off by the time I left too.

DB

True. But they won't now. I've seen minimal evidence of social distancing in the last few weeks in all aspects of life.

Which is where the government should be concentrating their efforts, as there is some evidence that this does actually make a difference, unlike masks where there is virtually none, and wearing a mask also seems to make a fair number of people feel invincible because masks keep them 'safe'.

Darandio

Established Member

Of course it's still wrong, you wouldn't have it any other way.

Nobody said they weren't adhering to at least 1m physical distancing. I didn't tend to encroach too much in the personal space of others anyway, staying at around 1m is fairly normal to me. Obviously that's wrong and you'll hate that.

DB

Finally, somebody not being deliberately difficult.

I'm really not sure what you expect to be the alternative - if they can't go about their business 'normally' because of masks, as some people can't, they will make every effort to avoid shops.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I went to a garden centre earlier. My first observation was that they have got rid of the queue outside and the member of staff manning the door has gone. It was back to normal apart from a poster reminding people to maintain a safe distance, a hand sanitiser dispensed in the entrance and some disinfectant spray for cleaning brollies. Everyone was wearing masks, including the staff.

It was fine, but after a little while I was rather uncomfortable/hot. For a short shopping trip it is ok but I am not sure how the staff cope wearing one all day long. I was glad to get back outside so I could remove it and get some fresh air.

westv

Established Member
I went to a garden centre today just for a bite to eat. It seemed a little daft having to wear a face covering for the 15 or so paces from the entrance to the cafè and back again.

BanburyBlue

I was in Tesco on Friday, and all customers were wearing face coverings. Interestingly, some staff members weren’t. So, do the rules not apply to shop workers?

Was in town this afternoon, in the local shopping centre, and there were a few people not wearing masks. I’m not sure if they were being deliberately obtuse, or didn’t realise the rules applied to shopping centres as well as shops?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I was in Tesco on Friday, and all customers were wearing face coverings. Interestingly, some staff members weren’t. So, do the rules not apply to shop workers?
Not in England, they don't.

Was in town this afternoon, in the local shopping centre, and there were a few people not wearing masks. I’m not sure if they were being deliberately obtuse, or didn’t realise the rules applied to shopping centres as well as shops?
They may have a valid exemption? ...

talldave

Established Member
And this is where I just don't get it. Either we're trying to achieve something or we're not. This half-baked nonsense doesn't fool me but the muzzled sheep are lapping it up without question. I've asked before and I will ask again, what is wrong with people?

If the staff member goes to the next door shop for 2 minutes during a break, they're suddenly a law breaker. But for 8 or more hours of their shift they're not. It's pathetic and does nothing to dispel the theory that it's got nothing to do with infection rates that were doing quite nicely for months thank you and more to do with softening us up for what comes next,

Last edited:

Mintona

Established Member
I went in a shop without one yesterday. It was a petrol station. I thought they’d probably want me to go in to pay after filling up the car, and I wasn’t about to wear a mask for such a pathetically short transaction. I told the guy behind the desk (and perspex sheet) I didn’t have one when he asked. He just shrugged and served me anyway.

birchesgreen

Established Member

What kind of shopping centre? If enclosed then the mask rule applies though if open air then only in the shops.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
My experiences today:
Marks & Spencer, a brief visit to get a couple of food items, and most people I saw were wearing masks, although one lady and her friend (both in their 60s) I overheard on entering the shop were complaining about 'stupid government', and went in without masks (and weren't challenged)
Waitrose, a similar level of compliance, though one young person in the queue for the self-serve checkouts stood very close behind me (in the old normal sense). This irritated me because I then have a dilemma: say something or move forward slightly and risk the person in front speak sharply to me! This was resolved almost instantaneously as the person in front went to a vacant till, though.
Poundland (no moral judgements, please), most people wearing masks, staff member on the door had a ticksheet which I think was recording the numbers of masked / unmasked shoppers. Here's where I started getting concerned about the complacency I think this mandatory masking is provoking. Again, in the queue for the checkouts, the person behind me stood too close, certainly less than 1m. I gave this fella a glance of irritation, moved forward one pace... and so did he!!
I'm not happy about wearing a mask, but I'll do it, as I did today. If this lack of social distancing keeps happening, however, then as far as I'm concerned, all these perspex screens, hazard tape and associated measures will be utterly pointless. For every person wearing the covering correctly, there are at least as many wearing them round their chin or covering the mouth only. People not wearing them correctly AND standing too close are a big concern for me.
If I was the type of 'nervous shopper' that mandatory face-coverings are supposed to encourage back to retail environments, I would actually be less inclined to venture back after my experiences today...

Where I have used the word mask, I do of course mean any face-covering

AndyY

I went shopping on Friday evening. I would say about 80% of people were compliant, but there was a significant minority who were not. I checked 3 supermarkets. None of them had staff enforcing the rules at the front door, or announcements inside advocating the new rules.
From my limited encounters, most of those who were pushing into other people, not social distancing when queueing, talking on mobile phone while indoors, etc., were not wearing face coverings.

DB

My experiences today:
Marks & Spencer, a brief visit to get a couple of food items, and most people I saw were wearing masks, although one lady and her friend (both in their 60s) I overheard on entering the shop were complaining about 'stupid government', and went in without masks (and weren't challenged)
Waitrose, a similar level of compliance, though one young person in the queue for the self-serve checkouts stood very close behind me (in the old normal sense). This irritated me because I then have a dilemma: say something or move forward slightly and risk the person in front speak sharply to me! This was resolved almost instantaneously as the person in front went to a vacant till, though.
Poundland (no moral judgements, please), most people wearing masks, staff member on the door had a ticksheet which I think was recording the numbers of masked / unmasked shoppers. Here's where I started getting concerned about the complacency I think this mandatory masking is provoking. Again, in the queue for the checkouts, the person behind me stood too close, certainly less than 1m. I gave this fella a glance of irritation, moved forward one pace... and so did he!!
I'm not happy about wearing a mask, but I'll do it, as I did today. If this lack of social distancing keeps happening, however, then as far as I'm concerned, all these perspex screens, hazard tape and associated measures will be utterly pointless. For every person wearing the covering correctly, there are at least as many wearing them round their chin or covering the mouth only. People not wearing them correctly AND standing too close are a big concern for me.
If I was the type of 'nervous shopper' that mandatory face-coverings are supposed to encourage back to retail environments, I would actually be less inclined to venture back after my experiences today...

Where I have used the word mask, I do of course mean any face-covering

What you describe sounds like the entirely predictable outcome of the government messaging convincing people that a mask will keep them 'safe'.

High Dyke

Established Member
I went to a garden centre today just for a bite to eat. It seemed a little daft having to wear a face covering for the 15 or so paces from the entrance to the cafè and back again.
I had that same thought when going into Costa during the week, I sat inside for a drink etc. However, I put my covering on before I entered the door until I sat down to eat/drink.

Had this email from Waitrose about the next steps for shoppers in their stores.
FACE COVERINGS

From Friday 24 July, we’re asking you to follow the new government legislation on face coverings while shopping in our stores.

All customers, apart from children under 11 and those who have reasonable cause, such as a health condition, disability, physical or mental impairment, should wear a face mask, scarf or other covering. Not all exemptions are visible, so please be understanding of other shoppers.

You will also see our Partners in both Waitrose and John Lewis stores will be wearing face coverings. These will be worn by all Partners who are not exempt when they are in areas where two metre social distancing cannot be achieved or where other measures, such as screens, are not present.

SMALLER QUEUES

As customers return to their normal shopping patterns, we’re seeing queues reducing, and no queues at all in many shops. If you do find yourself queuing, please try shopping outside of the peak lunchtime and early evening hours when it’s quieter.

DB

You will also see our Partners in both Waitrose and John Lewis stores will be wearing face coverings. These will be worn by all Partners who are not exempt when they are in areas where two metre social distancing cannot be achieved or where other measures, such as screens, are not present.

That's probably not going to apply in many places, is it? Assuming they've got screens up on the tills that will rule them out, and those out on the shop floor will generally be able to keep 2m from anyone else.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's probably not going to apply in many places, is it? Assuming they've got screens up on the tills that will rule them out, and those out on the shop floor will generally be able to keep 2m from anyone else.

Depends on the aisle width, but in most supermarkets 1m is reasonably easily possible but 2m *all the time* is hard. It means you can't pass anyone or be passed, so if you needed to work on an aisle you'd have to close it.

BJames

Established Member
My friend works in Waitrose and (at his branch at least) definitely those working at the tills will not be required to wear them. As he is a supervisor though and wants to set a good example, he's going to be wearing it when he's out and about on the shop floor. When I spoke to him last though he was unsure about the policy for those stacking shelves.

In my local Sainsbury's today those stacking shelves were wearing them as it is a local branch and quite small, so there wouldn't really be much space to pass. Interestingly though they've only just put in a one-way system having not bothered throughout the last few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.