• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Odd incident at Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPM

Established Member
How time flies. One of the last things I did before leaving the retail side was attend a presentation on the new Avantix machine. They only had a prototype version of the software on the PDA and the Avantix machine itself was just a wooden mock-up. Nevertheless it seemed like space technology compared to SPORTIS. Only seems like yesterday. I must be getting old.

On the 28th, me and my girlfriend set off from Ealing Broadway to Southend Airport, buying open return tickets to the airport to return Monday 1st. This was about 9:30 in the morning and we were handed off-peak open returns from the office. These worked fine through Ealing's ticket barriers, however when we arrived at Paddington (around 9:45), the tickets wouldn't let us through the platform 12 gates to get the the H&C line. When we showed them to the inspector on the gate, she told us they were technically invalid as it was still peak time, but that she would let us through anyway.

Perhaps they expect anyone heading to Liverpool Street to just jump on the Central Line direct from Ealing Broadway!

Of course, you're entitled to get there how you like. However perhaps this explains the ticket being rejected and staff being unfamiliar as the numbers passing through PAD on such a ticket are minimal?

sor

Ten? Fifteen or sixteen, more like!

For ATOS Origin that's state of the art technology!

At least they have luxurious colour screens (I'm sure a full 65000 colours and a whopping 320x240 resolution) :)

On a more serious note, how do they tackle the inevitable hardware death or a guard smashing the screen in? Do they bother to repair the things, or is there a stock of these ancient PDAs somewhere? I'm guessing the whole unit is powered by a separate battery as the one built into the PDA is undoubtedly deader than dead at this point.

I notice that Apple seem to use a nifty POS solution. They use iPod touches in an oversized case. They can create the transaction on the iPod and when it's time to pay, they flip it over and there's the chip and PIN pad ready to go.

But maybe the new avantix could be a ticket printer/PIN pad in a separate unit and tethered to any current mobile device of the day? Hell, if you used devices with NFC built in, you could probably work ITSO support into it :)

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
...while android can be locked down it is still based on open source software and the problems that introduces...
What problems would those be? Posted during thread split.

Last edited:

ollyrogers

Perhaps they expect anyone heading to Liverpool Street to just jump on the Central Line direct from Ealing Broadway!

Of course, you're entitled to get there how you like. However perhaps this explains the ticket being rejected and staff being unfamiliar as the numbers passing through PAD on such a ticket are minimal?

This is true, but I had my eye on BarBurrito at PAD from a very early point in the morning!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.