• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Official confirmation of WHL traction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Bad news I'm afraid, no more 37's on WHL sleeper.

From EWS
http://www.ews-railway.co.uk/

Operating enhancements for First Scotrail Sleeper to be delivered by EWS
and Axiom Rail
http://www.ews-railway.co.uk/cmsystem/news_alt.asp

EWS and Axiom Rail are completing a series of changes and improvements for
the operation of First Scotrail Caledonian Sleeper services. EWS was
recently awarded a contract to operate the Caledonian Sleeper services for
the duration of First Scotrail's franchise.

EWS operate First Scotrail's Caledonian Sleeper services that connect
Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Fort William, Glasgow, Inverness with London. EWS has
developed a long association with the Caledonian Sleeper since 1996.

EWS will introduce modern and reliable class 67 locomotives for operation
of Sleeper services between Edinburgh and Fort William on the West
Highland Line on 10 June. Class 67 locomotives are already in use between
Edinburgh and Aberdeen/Inverness.

Axiom Rail, part of EWS, has commenced preparing and repainting the first
of five class 90 locomotives for haulage on Sleeper services between
London and Edinburgh/Glasgow. A striking new livery has been designed to
complement the newly refurbished sleeping and lounge compartments, which
are also being overhauled by Axiom Rail as part of a £1 million upgrade.
The first of the new look locomotives are expected to enter into service
during June.

Mick Bostock, EWS National Business Manager Rail and Passenger Services,
said: "EWS has over ten years of experience in operating the Caledonian
Sleeper, and we are pleased to have won this new contract from First
Scotrail. We look forward to implementing these operational improvements
as part of the contract, as we continue to deliver a reliable service for
passengers on these important cross-border services."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

I am certain that they will lose some custom because of this.

Coxster

Established Member
Some of us met up again and did this last night - was absolutely hellfire! There were loads of enthusiasts and the train was packed.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Coxster said:
Some of us met up again and did this last night - was absolutely hellfire! There were loads of enthusiasts and the train was packed.

Yes, was a fantastic trip. Can't quite imagine it being the same with 67s :(

Yes this train has been packed mostly every night, berths have been relitively full as well. FSR will loose some buisness however just because the train enthusiasts are not using the train anymore i dont think they will say "lets get back the 37" ow well its something different and ill still use it all the time!

Coxster

Established Member
They are buisness afterall so money and reliability are what drives them, not the fact some of us prefer the 37s.

richa2002

Established Member
Let's look on the bright side, we still have a loco hauled WHL service. Although it's sad that the 37s are going, we should all be greatful that the service is still running.

Established Member
Although hardly an unexpected press release (the contract was signed before christmas so why the delay?) also officially puts an end to the vague hopes of First being tight enough to take provision for sleeper electrics in house with GBRf sevens. Oh well, pink/purple skodas to laugh at instead! we had to suffer 87019 so some payback in order!

Sure there are a few normals relieved at the 37>67 change, and as for "loss of revenue", most of the cranks are on suspect validity anyway!

I don't think the sleeper will get caped, its too politically insensitive.

richa2002

Established Member
The only reason bashers are 'keeping it going' at the moment is because the 37s are coming off in 10 days!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
The only reason bashers are 'keeping it going' at the moment is because the 37s are coming off in 10 days!

Very true Richard. When I did the train last November, I was one of only 2 enthusiasts on board! And I can remember the days when very few people bothered with the Fort William Sleeper as it was a 37/4, whereas the Aberdeen & Inverness ones were pairs of 'NB' 37/0s or 37/5s.

Established Member
theblackwatch said:
the Aberdeen & Inverness ones were pairs of 'NB' 37/0s or 37/5s.

Bloody good they looked in Mainline/Intercity colours too, proper engines south of Edinburgh as well
Always thought NB engines in Intercity colours was a bit odd, reverse scenario with bloody 47555 in Rfd!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's not for reliability.

Did FSR contact EWS to say the Fort William sleeper was unreliable and can they replace the locos? I don't think so. I think you'll find there are more failures south of Edinburgh than north anyway...

It's purely because the pointless 67s (which should never have been built) cannot be written off, but the 37s can. Even though the 37s are more track-friendly, and faster, for this service, they are being replaced simply because of EWS bean counters.

AlexS

Established Member
And they're old, pushing the limit of engine hours for the class bar one or two examples which are needed for other RA work, before needing an expensive overhaul etc etc.

EWS couldn't have foreseen the Royal Mail traffic ending - the 67s were perfect for that work. However, since it has, you can't blame them for using a more expensive asset than a clapped out old heap they actually own and can scrap nicely.

The Snap

Established Member
67s are boring, they make no noise (like 37s and 47s do!) :(

Tom B

Established Member
In the 1960s of course, 37s would have been regarded as boring and there would have been opposition to them taking kettles off.

richa2002

Established Member
Rich said:
67s are boring, they make no noise (like 37s and 47s do!) :(
I will bet you any money that in xx years when the 67s are being taken off the service, everyone will be up in arms and describe them as hellfire.

devon_metro

Established Member
A very good point!

For example the MTUs are already increasing in loudness! I didn't notice the difference apart from the livery today!

the 60s were once hated and looks now!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Julian G said:
Actually 67 make noise, some boring yinging noise :o

I actually quite like the 67's engine sound. It's got a heavier beat to it than a 66 has. 66s in my opinion sound pathetic :mad:

Of course.. you can't beat the sound of a Class 50 on full bore :toothy4::toothy4::toothy4:

Nick W

Established Member
Are 67s really more reliable than 37s?

Based on my experience they would be better off replacing the 90 with something else for south of edinburgh than replacing the 37.

I'm glad I got to experience 37 haulage. Nice purring sound and I like the clag and thrash and it accelerates.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nick W said:
Are 67s really more reliable than 37s?
Nope.
Nick W said:
Based on my experience they would be better off replacing the 90 with something else for south of edinburgh than replacing the 37.
Yes but it's not about reliability, that's just an excuse! It's about making the bean counters at EWS happy. EWS are only interested in their profits, not the overall performance of the sleeper or providing a reliable service to FSR's customers.

Established Member
Nick W said:

90034 joining the party last night and doing what skoda's do best...collapsing at Braidhurst on M16! 92011 worked forward to Crewe.

metrocammel

87015 said:
90034 joining the party last night and doing what skoda's do best...collapsing at Braidhurst on M16! 92011 worked forward to Crewe.

The 92 bit sounds rateable.... get them in for haulage!.. Do you know what happend after Crewe?

The skodas on the beds are ridiculously poor, but I think it is somthing to do with their traction motors not being up to the load 16 (or whatever) beds. I do believe with the "barbie skodas", they are having equipment to make them slightly more durable, though skoda 24 has gone in for painting, but no mention of any internal refurb.

The 67's aren't better than the 37's in terms of how many have failed on the beds in the last couple of years. In fact due to lack of available skips (due to one collapsing earlier in the day) I was lucky enough to have 37417 on the Aberdeen beds back in September 05' -(it only lost about 3 or 4 minutes on the arrival into Aberdeen).
OK, I can't say because of this 37s are more reliable than 67s, as it isn't really a fair comparison, but EWS cannot say they are withdrawing the 37's due to low mpf rates, as the mpf rates at the moment are high - this has increased apparently since the maintenance transferred to MH, so whatever they do there, it must be good!
At the end of the day, 37's are non standard in EWS's fleet, as they seem want a complete GM fleet, which is also clear by the mass withdrawal of the 60's, which has been regretted to an extent, when sheds cannot cope with EWS's heavier freight loads.

Julian G

Established Member
First ScotRail said:
67's will start on Friday, First Run will be Saturdays 1Y11
Put your emergency Brakes On!
is 1Y11 the Sleeper to Fort William , then yes ;)
if it not, Sleepers don't run on Saturdays!
[EDIT]
AlexS said:
The 90s are crapheaps - they can't cope with the hills. 87s have always just been better on the hills.
Well shame GBRF or Costwold Rail didn't win the Sleeper Rail Contract

Met Driver

Established Member
Julian G said:
Put your emergency Brakes On!
is 1Y11 the Sleeper to Fort William , then yes ;)
if it not, Sleepers don't run on Saturdays!

1Y11 is the headcode used from Edinburgh, so it's completely correct as Friday's departure from Euston leaves Edinburgh early on Saturday morning (obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.