• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OLD HST ENGINES

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellogs211

Is it possible to buy an old HST engine??? Just wondering for my future!!! could try and fit one in a Estate Car!! LOL

Jonathan
:?:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
I once asked a marine engineer about this, no chance of even getting a gardner V4 into a defender, biggest you'll get would be a 2stroke single cyl in a defender

David

Established Member
Is it possible to buy an old HST engine??? Just wondering for my future!!! could try and fit one in a Estate Car!! LOL

Jonathan

Have a word with the nice men at CF Booths. that's where the engines are ending up ....

TheSlash

Established Member

Jonathan
I doubt you'd get one into an estate car, more a large transit. Don't forget you aren't just putting the engine in, you are putting in
Engine
Turbo
Cooling system
Air inlet
Exhaust system
Fuel tank {4,500 litres /1,000 Gallon}

On an HST, the engine produces electricity to drive axle mounted traction motors, instead of the belt drive of modern road vehicles
Also, you'd need to significantly alter the vehicle suspension to cope with the increased weight.

devon_metro

Established Member
I doubt you'd get one into an estate car, more a large transit. Don't forget you aren't just putting the engine in, you are putting in
Engine
Turbo
Cooling system
Air inlet
Exhaust system
Fuel tank {4,500 litres /1,000 Gallon}

On an HST, the engine produces electricity to drive axle mounted traction motors, instead of the belt drive of modern road vehicles
Also, you'd need to significantly alter the vehicle suspension to cope with the increased weight.

Bear in mind the HST has capacity of about 79l (?) so guzzles a LOT of fuel which isn't likely to be able to be sourced from Tesco's /Asda's/Sainsburys'/Morrisons' forecourt.

Established Member
Have a word with Brush if you are after one, not sure about CF Booth, thought they had the cooler groups? For fitting it into a large van if if you did manage it I would have thought the suspension would be on it's knee's by the time you are at the end of your road 8)

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Well, I don't currently own a car (Or any other vehicle for that matter!) but one thing that I've always wanted to do is build a Trike with a decent amount of Diesel "grunt" in it! 8-)
As I prefer the more "Mad Max" design of Trike (Where ye have the engine mounted in a box-chassis at the front, with drivers saddle/seat and passenger seats/loadspace behind) I've been thinking initially that an old 7.5l double-deck bus engine and Leyland manual transmission might fit the bill best (Bearing in mind that I'd need to see over the engine!) but if I could get an HST or Shed engine set to fit such a project safely, then I'd definitely use one of those insted! <D

The only loco that I've ever seen "naked" is an old 50, and because those are designed for heavy haulage, they're basically a 16-cylinder Marine Diesel engine propped on 2x three-axle bogies, with cabs stuck on either end...So I don't yet know what the physical size of a 43 or 66 engines' cylinder block or other equipment is. I know that an HST's intercooler matrix is about 2m x 2m, but that could always be relocated to the rear of the vehicle. :)
(Does anyone have links to photos of a 43's or 66's engine at all? :D)

So...Does anyone think that an HST or Shed engine set could possibly fit into such dimensions? If so, how would I go about getting hold of something like that...Would the rail breakers yard in Doncaster be worth a shot? 8-)

And just to add to my usual craziness: If cash and resources were to permit it, the thing would be built in such a way - With a small drop-down bogie at the front end - That it could be safely used on railway lines up to 300mph, and would probabally be registered for rail use as well! :shock:8-)<D

Farewell...And thanks for any info! <D
>> Death <<

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I hope you've seen the size of the cooler groups...They're frigging massive.

If it was possible, I'd have a car fitted with a Valenta, Brush cooler group, Napier turbocharger and a massive fuel tank (as well as the other bits). Would certainly wake the neighbours up in the morning! <D<D<D

Booths, however, would be the best place to get them. Deep pockets would be rather helpful too...

Death

Established Member
Hmmm... ;)
Dare I suggest that it might be easier and quicker to buy an old 43 outright, fix the rear bogie in a "forward" position, add a steering rack to the front bogie, and replace all of the flanged steel wheels with tyred HGV ones? :D

Would certainly be amusing (And surprising) to see an HST making it's own way up the M3 at 140mph...Although the thing would be a b******d to steer, what with 60-odd ton of pure rampaging steel to shift about! :lol::D:razz:

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Would be easier, no doubt. The handling of the beggar would be...interesting though!

I can imagine it storming along the M4 though, that would be such a funky sight.

Anyone good with Photoshop able to manufacture such an image?

class 313

Established Member
I hope you've seen the size of the cooler groups...They're frigging massive.

If it was possible, I'd have a car fitted with a Valenta, Brush cooler group, Napier turbocharger and a massive fuel tank (as well as the other bits). Would certainly wake the neighbours up in the morning! <D<D<D

Booths, however, would be the best place to get them. Deep pockets would be rather helpful too...

Not a Marston cooler group then?

But my dream car/train would be some sort of Vehicle that could hold an 12CSVT and all the needed addons. Now THAT would wake up the neighbours hehe.

Nym

Established Member
Bear in mind the HST has capacity of about 79l (?) so guzzles a LOT of fuel which isn't likely to be able to be sourced from Tesco's /Asda's/Sainsburys'/Morrisons' forecourt.

How big you think them tanks are under morrisons. They hold about 50tonnes in each tank...

Sir_Clagalot

One of those LED scrolling displays with 'Catch Me If You Can' on them too... just to give the wombles a fright as you scream past leaving a smoke screen in your wake!
I like the idea of an EE 12CSVT... hehehe

class 313

Established Member
One of those LED scrolling displays with 'Catch Me If You Can' on them too... just to give the wombles a fright as you scream past leaving a smoke screen in your wake!
I like the idea of an EE 12CSVT... hehehe

Imagine trying to get to work and its cold... You're either gunna be late or need to get up early ;) :grin:

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Valenta engined bendy bus would be interesting, only the rear portion would have passengers in.
That's a creation that I've been dreaming of for quite a while now, although I'd be inclined to have the engine mounted in the final trailer and provide power to all axles using a hydraulic final drive. 8-)

However, I personally think I'd want to use something a little bigger for such a project though...Something like this: <D
AGG300.jpg

The Vanhool AGG-300 - Possibly the most kick-ass production bus in the World! 8-)

Edit/Afterthought: Talking of old engine sets etc...I'm thinking that the best set-up for my Trike could be had by breaking down a Turbostar. Does anyone know when the 165's/166's are due for retirement? :)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

TheSlash

Established Member
How big you think them tanks are under morrisons. They hold about 50tonnes in each tank...

Oh, about 32,000 litres a tank, at a guess. They've probably got 4 tanks minimum, of which the split will be around 50/50 Diesel and Petrol.
Now what you really want is some Shell V Power Diesel, it does wonders for Ford Transits and you get mega loyalty card points {not that i'd know, i always put regular diesel in works vans ;) }

Status
Not open for further replies.