• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

oldest wagons or coaches still in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjlrailblue

what are the oldest wagons still in revenue earning use on network rail metals?

What about coaches?

I'm guessing RTC network rail test train stock is pretty old but what about other operators?

Tim

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Are there any Queen Mary brake vans in use? Their frames are from 1904 LBSCR overhead motor cars.

steamybrian

Established Member
The oldest coaches in service must be the former London Transport 1938 tube stock operating on the Isle of Wight between Ryde and Shanklin.

BestWestern

Established Member
The oldest coaches in service must be the former London Transport 1938 tube stock operating on the Isle of Wight between Ryde and Shanklin.

Does the Island Line qualify as 'Network Rail metals' tho? I thought the TOC took care of the whole show over there?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As far as the mainland is concerned, isn't there an inspection saloon still in use that dates to pre-nationalisation? There's also the handful of big snowploughs that I think were converted from steam locomotive tenders.

TheEdge

Established Member
I think the oldest might be LNWR Dining Car 5159 which forms part of the Queen of Scots set. Built 1890 according to their website, laid up in 1921 and back on the rails in 1978. Infact the observation saloon is from 1891 and another saloon from 1912.

Although admittedly they are charter rather than day to day use but they are still in use.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Does the Island Line qualify as 'Network Rail metals' tho? I thought the TOC took care of the whole show over there?

AIUI whilst the TOC is responsible for maintenance and the like the metals still remain the property of Network Rail.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Do we mean stock in everyday use or like TheEdge suggests special usage?

If everyday use i would go for the Island Line trains and on the big railway the 314 units.

There will be some surprisingly old flat wagons running about the network i should think but you would need a wagonista for that!

theblackwatch

Established Member
If everyday use i would go for the Island Line trains and on the big railway the 314 units.

The 314s were built in 1979-80, whereas the 313s date from 1976-77. However, some of the HST coaches in daily service were converted from prototype vehicles which were built around 1972.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The 314s were built in 1979-80, whereas the 313s date from 1976-77. However, some of the HST coaches in daily service were converted from prototype vehicles which were built around 1972.

meant 313's (they are all the same these units ;) ) but forgot about the initial HST coaches :oops:

RichmondCommu

Established Member

When were the air conditioned mk2's that are still in service built? Surely they would predate even the earliest mk3's?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Mk2s are still in regular service in the Scotrail loco-hauled rake.

I think the MoD still runs Warflats built during WW2, although the bogies and equipment have been replaced.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
When were the air conditioned mk2's that are still in service built? Surely they would predate even the earliest mk3's?

I think the air con mk2s still in use are probably of the e/f variety which makes them slightly newer than the 1972 built prototype mk3 trailer cars.

fgwrich

Established Member
How about many of the Pullman Cars in the Belmond VSOE? Whilst the Island Line might still be using 1938 stock, the Belmond Pullman is still also in fairly constant use, and the oldest and still in use Pullman Car 'Ibis' date's from 1925, with most of the train still dating from the 30s/40s.

GlosRail

The Jacobite which runs Fort William to Mallaig from May to October using steam, and BR Mk1's.

Anyone can travel on it, but you do need a special West Coast Railways ticket as it costs more than the Scotrail service.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
On wagons, the bogie bolsters (BDA and variants) were conversions from unfitted (BDO) wagons, which date back to the 1950s.
Possibly the largest fleet with pre-air-brake origins?

Also the "Brett" aggregate hoppers that work out of Cliffe/Hoo Junction date back to 1970. Still on the traffic they were built for.
Many 4-wheel tanks (are there very many left?) were conversions from vacuum-brake examples, dating back to the early 1960s.

The trouble with wagons and rebuilds is that they're like (Trigger's broom/my grandfather's axe*) - 4 new heads and 3 new handles - is it even the same thing any more?

*delete as appropriate

mrben253

I got told by the scotrail sleeper guard that the mk2's in the sleeper train were built in 1973 and the oldest coaches in everyday passenger use in the UK

Darandio

Established Member
I got told by the scotrail sleeper guard that the mk2's in the sleeper train were built in 1973 and the oldest coaches in everyday passenger use in the UK

Then he would be wrong, at least by a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.