• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron variant and the measures implemented in response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm14

Northern Ireland has removed the "severe distress" exemption from wearing a face covering, and the onus is now on the person to prove medical exemption. Businesses are also legally required to enforce the requirement.

There will be a statutory duty on businesses to take reasonable measures to promote compliance with face coverings requirements, with a grace period until 7 January before enforcement is implemented.
The exemption of wearing a face covering where it causes severe stress will be removed and the onus of proving an exemption on medical grounds will be on the individual, with a grace period until 7 January before enforcement is implemented.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jimini

Established Member
Northern Ireland has removed the "severe distress" exemption from wearing a face covering, and the onus is now on the person to prove medical exemption. Businesses are also legally required to enforce the requirement.

That's nothing short of disgraceful.

danm14

Assuming the current regulations are simply amended to remove "severe distress" and no more, this will mean that a rape victim who cannot cover their mouth is now required to wear a face covering, and even showing "proof of rape" (words I never thought I would type) is insufficient to be exempt.

Tomp94

The onus is now on the Irish to resist this tyrannical nonsense by not wearing a muzzle.
but I can’t see that happening unfortunately!

farleigh

Horrendous - this needs to be challenged.

Eyersey468

Established Member

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Interesting development. NI is a very different society to England.

21C101

Established Member
The onus is now on the Irish to resist this tyrannical nonsense by not wearing a muzzle.
but I can’t see that happening unfortunately!
From what I read, while in Southern Ireland compliance is near universal, in Northern Ireland both communities are ignoring the requirement most of the time.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Unfortunately the possibility of such a move has long existed, and in a way I'm surprised it's taken one of the devolved governments as long as this to remove it.

The way that face covering exemptions were handled was pragmatic at the beginning of the pandemic but over time, the approach of telling GPs they should refuse to provide any evidence to support someone's medical exemption did not make a lot of sense - particularly for anyone who was to travel abroad (where generally only a doctor's note would suffice).

However, removing the exemption for 'severe distress' is a very serious impingement on the daily lives of people who previously relied on this exemption. Given that face covering compliance was low in NI anyway, I wonder how much effect this will actually have. But unfortunately it's likely to give Drakeford and Sturgeon ideas...

danm14

Given that face covering compliance was low in NI anyway, I wonder how much effect this will actually have.
With it now being a criminal offence punishable by a fine not to wear a face covering unless you can prove you are medically unable to do so; businesses being legally required to enforce it; and routine enforcement both of people wearing them and businesses enforcing it starting soon - I would unfortunately assume that the "chilling effect" will take over.

People who are genuinely unable to wear one will have little choice but to fall into self imposed lockdown because they either cannot obtain proof or their reason isn't "good enough", the remainder will be forced to comply.

The NI Executive state in very contradictory terms that:
If you do not wear a face covering in a required setting [every public indoor place, except a place of worship - the strictest mandate in the British Isles] it is your responsibility to provide proof as to why you cannot. Failure to do so is an offence and you could face a fine.

It is important that we all respect one another and remember that the reasons for not wearing a face covering may not always be visible.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Guardian has this as its leader currently

Omicron still threat to NHS despite ‘good news’, says health chief

Evidence the Omicron variant is less severe than originally feared does not remove the threat to the NHS this winter, a health service leader has warned.

Chris Hopson, the chief executive of NHS Providers, which represents hospitals and other NHS trusts, said two studies showing that people infected with Omicron were at less risk of being admitted to hospital than those infected with the Delta variant were good news.

But he stressed that it was still not clear exactly what impact the rapid rise in Omicron cases would have on hospital numbers, and said the NHS remained under “incredible pressure”.
Commenting on the studies published on Wednesday, Hopson told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “We still don’t have conclusive data in terms of what impact Omicron could have in terms of level of hospitalisations.

“We have some very early studies, but it’s a bit like trying to predict the result of a football game when you’re only a third of the way through.”
I would say a dialling back of self isolation period is also a recognition that Omicron isn't as bas as previous variants but main issue now is that it has spread like wildfire based on what im hearing around my area way way beyond what ive ever seen previously and we've been regularly in top 10% for infection rates. This is leading to large levels of staff self isolation and that is driving down the levels of supportable beds in hospitals below what they physically have so still a risk here; I fear that they will slap on restrictions, but in reality that boat has already sailed in terms of moderating spread.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Now they're talking about a fourth jab, which you just know they're eventually going to start insisting that everyone needs to have. This is getting ridiculous now.

Class 33

Established Member
Good to see a lot of today's papers has "Omicron is 50% less severe", "Omicron hospital risk is two thirds lower", etc headlines on their front pages.

Though I note on the front page of The I paper there is also a line on there saying "Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford plans new curbs from Boxing Day - piling pressure on PM". Just because that nutter Drakeford has announced even further unnecessary and over the top restrictions, why an earth should that put the pressure on Johnson to do the same? If anything the way it should go is that Johnson does the right thing and does NOT announce any further restrictions because they're just not necessary, and that should then put pressure on Drakeford and Sturgeon to SCRAP their ridiculous further restrictions from Boxing Day!

Bikeman78

Established Member
Unfortunately the possibility of such a move has long existed, and in a way I'm surprised it's taken one of the devolved governments as long as this to remove it.

The way that face covering exemptions were handled was pragmatic at the beginning of the pandemic but over time, the approach of telling GPs they should refuse to provide any evidence to support someone's medical exemption did not make a lot of sense - particularly for anyone who was to travel abroad (where generally only a doctor's note would suffice).

However, removing the exemption for 'severe distress' is a very serious impingement on the daily lives of people who previously relied on this exemption. Given that face covering compliance was low in NI anyway, I wonder how much effect this will actually have. But unfortunately it's likely to give Drakeford and Sturgeon ideas...
I wonder how well it is enforced in Northern Ireland? I largely went along with it until July 19th. After that I made a half hearted effort in Wales, and on London Underground, but I gave up completely a few weeks later. No one has ever questioned it.

danm14

I wonder how well it is enforced in Northern Ireland? I largely went along with it until July 19th. After that I made a half hearted effort in Wales, and on London Underground, but I gave up completely a few weeks later. No one has ever questioned it.
It is not enforced in Northern Ireland whatsoever, whereas in the Republic of Ireland it is enforced with an iron fist everywhere.

But from December 27th, you will be required to provide proof of medical exemption (something which is not available), the "severe distress" exemption is removed, and it will be legally required for businesses to enforce the rules - so I see that changing.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Good to see a lot of today's papers has "Omicron is 50% less severe", "Omicron hospital risk is two thirds lower", etc headlines on their front pages.

Though I note on the front page of The I paper there is also a line on there saying "Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford plans new curbs from Boxing Day - piling pressure on PM". Just because that nutter Drakeford has announced even further unnecessary and over the top restrictions, why an earth should that put the pressure on Johnson to do the same? If anything the way it should go is that Johnson does the right thing and does NOT announce any further restrictions because they're just not necessary, and that should then put pressure on Drakeford and Sturgeon to SCRAP their ridiculous further restrictions from Boxing Day!
I hope that England holds its nerve and thus proves that the Welsh restrictions are futile. In particular the vaccine passport idea needs to be scrapped. In Wales, almost everywhere they were required will be shut from the 26th anyway so what did they achieve?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Drakeford statement yesterday starts with

We are facing a very serious situation in Wales. A large wave of infections caused by the very infectious omicron variant is approaching.
but we are waiting till Boxing Day to do anything about it.

clagmonster

Established Member
People who are genuinely unable to wear one will have little choice but to fall into self imposed lockdown because they either cannot obtain proof or their reason isn't "good enough", the remainder will be forced to comply.
I am this position. My condition was diagnosed as a learning disability back when I was at sixth form. This was more than 10 years ago, I suspect even if I did a subject access request I would find that they no longer had my details.

Even aside from voluntarily abstaining from all leisure, community and voluntary activities, an action that I would find unpalatable, I commute to work by omnibus. Doing this with a face covering will lead to hazards and potential safety risks.

21C101

Established Member
It is not enforced in Northern Ireland whatsoever, whereas in the Republic of Ireland it is enforced with an iron fist everywhere.

But from December 27th, you will be required to provide proof of medical exemption (something which is not available), the "severe distress" exemption is removed, and it will be legally required for businesses to enforce the rules - so I see that changing.
I suspect it will only be enforced in things like main shopping centre. McGuninises Off Licence in the Falls Road less so....

Bluejays

I wasn't aware that SAGE was completely unremunerated. For an unpaid job they appear to put in a hell of a lot of effort. Perhaps leaking could be removal from their professional body for a period of 10 years. That may restrict their ability to find work.

As for taking the PM seriously - that is far too late now. A PM should do this when taking up the post.

As for those cited was not defence of the realm the basis for prosecution?
How the hell can you remove some from their professional body for talking about their research. It is entirely correct that government make the final decision. It is also entirely correct that individuals are allowed to voice their opinions.

Whats wrong with the decision making process being transparent ? When big decisions are being made, surely its better to know who has input. Rather than some Chinese style secrecy that you seem to suggest

Last edited by a moderator:

brad465

Established Member
Not everyone in Labour is blindly supportive of more restrictions; Andy Burnham is currently supportive of the fact the Government haven't yet rushed into them:

The government is right not to "rush" into imposing new restrictions in England, the Labour mayor of Greater Manchester has said.

Andy Burnham told BBC Breakfast curbs would damage people's mental health and ministers had to be careful that "whatever is done is proportionate".

The prime minister has said no new measures will be brought in for England before Christmas, despite the surge in Omicron cases.

Burnham said the issue of maintaining public services while large numbers are isolating was the "single biggest worry" for Greater Manchester.

The mayor said levels were currently "manageable" but in January it may be necessary to ask the government to reduce the number of days NHS staff are forced to isolate.

The number of NHS staff missing work because of Covid increased by 54% last week compared to a week earlier.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not everyone in Labour is blindly supportive of more restrictions; Andy Burnham is currently supportive of the fact the Government haven't yet rushed into them:
Yes, I saw that. Good on him. Very damning for Starmer who was calling for more restrictions.

In other news, my local paper does like to yo-yo between positive and negative stories (the latter are generally non-stories or are misleading) but this seems particularly pertinent:

THERE are currently NO Covid patients in intensive care at York and Scarborough hospitals, health chiefs have revealed.
This is thought to be only the second time since the early days of the pandemic that the York and Scarborough Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not had any patients with Covid in ICU.
The total number of Covid patients at the hospitals remains stable, with 47 on ordinary wards today, the same as yesterday.
The trust said a total of 3,085 such patients had been discharged since the start of the pandemic, compared with 3,079 yesterday.

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
Whats wrong with the decision making process being transparent ? When big decisions are being made, surely its better to know who has input. Rather than some Chinese style secrecy that you seem to suggest
I fully agree the process should be transparent. Clear documentation should be available. What we disagree with is mardy scientists trying to undermine the government by going to the media when they don’t get a blank cheque to play around with their latest idea.

Transparency may have revealed the issues with government decision making that Frazer Nelson revealed several months earlier.

duncanp

Established Member

I have a feeling that Boris Johnson might hold off on introducing further restrictions, or just issue "..strengthened guidance", precisely because Mark Dripford and Mrs Murrell have introduced a lockdown in all but name. If the furlough scheme was still operational, it is quite likely that Scotland and Wales would have closed indoor hospitality completely and possibly also non essential shops.

Boris Johnson is under pressure from his backbench MPs not to introduce further restrictions in a way that Mr Dripford and Mrs Murrell are not, and this is probably a key factor in his thinking.

Of course we know the real reason that Mr Dripford and Mrs Murrell are trying to bounce Boris Johnson into introducing more restrictions - if Boris does so there is likely to be more money made available to support the affected businesses, which means there is a consequent increase in funding for Scotland and Wales.

They are also desperate not to be shown up by Boris - if the whole UK has a similar level of restrictions, then when cases start to come down the lockdown addicts can claim "..it's the restrictions wot done it.."

But if England doesn't introduce any more restrictions and cases start to come down (which they will do) then Mr Dripford and Mrs Murrell will have some explaining to do abotu why they thought all their stupid restrictions were necessary.

I mean, who is going to enforce a £60 fine for going to work?

greyman42

Established Member
Yes, I saw that. Good on him. Very damning for Starmer who was calling for more restrictions.

In other news, my local paper does like to yo-yo between positive and negative stories (the latter are generally non-stories or are misleading) but this seems particularly pertinent:

I think that this shows how good the vaccines are. York has been rammed for the last month with visitors and residents using the Xmas market and hospitality. You would have been forgiven for thinking that this would lead to an increase in cases but it does not appear to have done so.

I don't know what the local uptake of vaccines is but i would imagine it is pretty high compared to the likes of Lambeth.

John Luxton

Established Member
How the hell can you remove some from their professional body for talking about their research. It is entirely correct that government make the final decision. It is also entirely correct that individuals are allowed to voice their opinions.

There is a lot to be said for secrecy when it is for the economic good of the country. No one is talking removing people from their professional bodies for talking about research but the undermining of public morale is serious. Too much of it has gone on in the past 21 months.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think that this shows how good the vaccines are. York has been rammed for the last month with visitors and residents using the Xmas market and hospitality. You would have been forgiven for thinking that this would lead to an increase in cases but it does not appear to have done so.
Actually it does seem cases are quite high there - York has one of the highest rates in the north and the highest rate in Yorkshire. But the vaccines have clearly done their job and kept people out of hospital.

greyman42

Established Member
Actually it does seem cases are quite high there - York has one of the highest rates in the north and the highest rate in Yorkshire. But the vaccines have clearly done their job and kept people out of hospital.
Thanks for that. I should really have said hospitalisations but your point shows, even more than mine, the benefit of being vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.