• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyncymraeg

In the past train carriages consisted of a corridor and the train was split into compartments with the seats facing each other. All trains are now open carriages. When were open carriage trains introduced and when were carriages split into compartments phased out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In the past train carriages consisted of a corridor and the train was split into compartments with the seats facing each other. All trains are now open carriages. When were open carriage trains introduced and when were carriages split into compartments phased out.

The LMS and LNER had open carriages back in the 1930s, and indeed they both built streamliners with entirely open carriages.

The last coaching stock with compartments would be the Mk2d which were built with BFK (Brake First Corridor) and FK (First Corridor) variants, they were built in about 1971-72 iirc.

The Mk3s were all open stock other than sleepers, though the 442 EMUs which are based on the Mk3 design were built with compartments in First Class (one driving coach had six first class compartments and a small open seating section as-built), and they would to the best of my knowledge be the very last trains built with compartments if you ignore sleeping cars.

Veteran Member
The LMS and LNER had open carriages back in the 1930s, and indeed they both built streamliners with entirely open carriages.

The last coaching stock with compartments would be the Mk2d which were built with BFK (Brake First Corridor) and FK (First Corridor) variants, they were built in about 1971-72 iirc.

The Mk3s were all open stock other than sleepers, though the 442 EMUs which are based on the Mk3 design were built with compartments in First Class (one driving coach had six first class compartments and a small open seating section as-built), and they would to the best of my knowledge be the very last trains built with compartments if you ignore sleeping cars.

Going back further still, Pullman cars were always basically open (some with a coupe compartment).
Early electric (and diesel) trains were mostly open, like tube stock; the Southern suburban fleet was the biggest exception to this (largely because they recycled old steam stock), but their mainline fleet included open stock from the start (usually the motor cars) and suburban stock from 1945 was 75% open.
The Southern also had open steam hauled stock from about 1930; I'm not sure about the GWR, other than special stock.

Taunton

Established Member
The GWR built "open" stock for excursion services, although out of the summer season they could turn up elsewhere, eg the pre-Christmas rush. There is a lovely 1935 excursion vehicle at Didcot, which when you sit in it, despite it spending 85 years mostly out in the open, is more comfortable, spacious, better view, and has a nicer ambience than most current generation stock. The general layout is pretty similar to a BR Mk 1 SO.

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/...ursion-third/863f872c4764eda84691007db074e6a0

At the other extreme were the Ocean Saloons, Pullman-equivalents, which I recall in their last years to 1962 coming through Taunton from Plymouth Millbay docks to Paddington, always with an absolutely immaculate Castle in charge, as well as the train. It generally ran about 5-10 minutes ahead of the Up Cornish Riviera, coming through at lunchtime. I never saw it go the other way.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The GWR built "open" stock for excursion services, although out of the summer season they could turn up elsewhere, eg the pre-Christmas rush. There is a lovely 1935 excursion vehicle at Didcot, which when you sit in it, despite it spending 85 years mostly out in the open, is more comfortable, spacious, better view, and has a nicer ambience than most current generation stock. The general layout is pretty similar to a BR Mk 1 SO.

I have to agree with you there; and that's only from viewing the pictures on the link you provided @Taunton, typical 'Art Deco' interior styling of that era, very deceptive on the exterior shots though as it looks rather longer than the quoted 60' don't you think?

Taunton

Established Member
I have to agree with you there; and that's only from viewing the pictures on the link you provided @Taunton, typical 'Art Deco' interior styling of that era, very deceptive on the exterior shots though as it looks rather longer than the quoted 60' don't you think?
It's a bit conflicting, the text says it's 60' when the heading photo clearly shows it branded on the solebar as 63'6".

YorksDMU

The LNER’s ‘Tourist Stock’, both teak and plywood bodied, were originally fitted out with the infamous bucket seats. It’s said they induced neck and back ache on the longer journeys. The internal lights were naked tungsten lamps which made things appear rather austere.
But I feel most people would not have been too bothered as long as the train took them to B from A.

Of course, the first carriages, and this continued right up to the BR Mk1 stock, were non gangwayed with the compartments right across the full width of the carriage. Hence women could be raped in them, amongst other crimes, including murder. So open carriages it had to be for everyone’s safety. So no non gangwayed diagrams from Mkll and onwards.

ReeceEmmitt

My partner is 40 and at a recent visit to Llangollen Railway we sat in a mk1 compartment coach. She recalls traveling in a compartment style coach to a grandparent in Swindon from Wrexham. She doesn’t remember if it was loco hauled or a multiple unit (I mean why would she).

Any ideas on what this stock could have been? It’s not out of the realms of possibility she’s misremembering (her recollection of our first date is rather different from mine and that’s not even 10 years ago.)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
NSE still had some non-corridor compartment EPB stock until the late 80's early 90's when they were replaced with all saloon units (except the two celebrity units which were earmarked for preservation and had a compartment carriage re-included up until with drawal in 1995. This included prototype EPB 5001 which sadly went for scrap).

The corridor compartments were in use until around 2005 on the Southern, with the exception of the Lymington branch where they remained until 2010.

Veteran Member
My partner is 40 and at a recent visit to Llangollen Railway we sat in a mk1 compartment coach. She recalls traveling in a compartment style coach to a grandparent in Swindon from Wrexham. She doesn’t remember if it was loco hauled or a multiple unit (I mean why would she).

Any ideas on what this stock could have been? It’s not out of the realms of possibility she’s misremembering (her recollection of our first date is rather different from mine and that’s not even 10 years ago.)

Quite possible: Mk 1 stock was used on Crewe-Cardiff (as an upgrade from Swindon DMMUs IIRC) for a good few years before the new generation of units arrived. Might well have included a BSK and CK.
Wrexham-Swindon via Newport is a perfectly plausible route.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
NSE still had some non-corridor compartment EPB stock until the late 80's early 90's when they were replaced with all saloon units (except the two celebrity units which were earmarked for preservation and had a compartment carriage re-included up until with drawal in 1995. This included prototype EPB 5001 which sadly went for scrap).

The corridor compartments were in use until around 2005 on the Southern, with the exception of the Lymington branch where they remained until 2010.
Weren’t the Lymington Flyers probably also the last trains where you could travel in a standard class compartment, there was just the one between the cab and the rest that were First Class?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Weren’t the Lymington Flyers probably also the last trains where you could travel in a standard class compartment, there was just the one between the cab and the rest that were First Class?

Yes, they're the only ones left at the time that I can think of.

Journeyman

Established Member
Some open stock exists back into the late nineteenth century, and very early twentieth century - tube stock, the Liverpool Overhead Railway, and some very early EMUs, such as the NER and L&Y stock and some used on the NLR.

bramling

Veteran Member
Yes, they're the only ones left at the time that I can think of.

Yes this is correct. Having said that, I believe at least one of the Cumbrian coast loco-hauled sets included a compartment vehicle for a short time towards the beginning, before the DBSOs came on stream. Definitely saw it come through Whitehaven with people in, although unfortunately didn’t get the chance to ride it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes this is correct. Having said that, I believe at least one of the Cumbrian coast loco-hauled sets included a compartment vehicle for a short time towards the beginning, before the DBSOs came on stream. Definitely saw it come through Whitehaven with people in, although unfortunately didn’t get the chance to ride it.

Oh yes, so it did !

Never managed to bag it though. The said compartment carriage also turned up on the Gt Yarmouth train, but I was told that Angia didn't have a safety case to let passengers in :(

bramling

Veteran Member
Oh yes, so it did !

Never managed to bag it though. The said compartment carriage also turned up on the Gt Yarmouth train, but I was told that Angia didn't have a safety case to let passengers in :(

I’d certainly have enjoyed the chance to do Barrow to Carlisle in a compartment. Unlikely to be repeated it seems. :(

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I’d certainly have enjoyed the chance to do Barrow to Carlisle in a compartment. Unlikely to be repeated it seems. :(

It would be nice to get one of those Mk2 compartments on the national network one day !

bramling

Veteran Member
It would be nice to get one of those Mk2 compartments on the national network one day !

I gather first class on the refurbished SWT 450s offers something akin to a compartment experience. Might have to give that a go some time.

Surprisingly, the seats immediately adjacent to the driving cab on a class 700 are also quite secluded (especially by class 700 standards). Unfortunately there’s no sound insulation though, so it’s still possible to hear a screaming child at the other end of the carriage, protection from which being one of the many benefits of compartments.

big all

On Moderation
technically the southern introduced a hundred or so compartments around 1990:D

ok it was individual compartments taking up the end off massive veps guards van and had through doors but still quite small:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.