• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Operational incident" between Barnham and Havant 03/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wookiee

Any ideas what's going on? The 1N65 from Brighton to Southampton is currently 92L at Emsworth...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
Like it says on the tin- "operational incident" at Nutbourne. Nothing to see, these things happen.

I think the OP was seeking to delve a little deeper than the bland term and understand more details about what had actually occurred to delay at least one train by more than an hour and a half.

GW43125

Established Member
My money is on a SPAD or similar. They usually cover them up like this.

Wookiee

I think the OP was seeking to delve a little deeper than the bland term and understand more details about what had actually occurred to delay at least one train by more than an hour and a half.

:D Quite!

QueensCurve

Established Member
Like it says on the tin- "operational incident" at Nutbourne. Nothing to see, these things happen.

Unfortunately the cloaking device of "operational incident" merely leaves us hungry for more information. :roll:

QueensCurve

Established Member
And if it's information that you neither need or are allowed to have?

Here we go again.

People crave and deserve to have information. They will accept delays and disruption more readily if they are fully informed. That is the whole basis of giving information on the cause of delays.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
An actual explanation could be breaching confidentiality if something has happened that could be subject to a breach of discipline.

GW43125

Established Member
Here we go again.

People crave and deserve to have information. They will accept delays and disruption more readily if they are fully informed. That is the whole basis of giving information on the cause of delays.

I will accept my train being cancelled due to "A shortage of crew" for argument's sake, but not "an operational incident", which they've used to cover up a no driver incident before. It's just unnecessarily obtuse.

GB

Established Member
If it was a "police incident" either on the railway or public streets would you be badgering the police for a reason on whats going on?

I accept human curiosity plays a part but I stand by what others have said in that specific information is not generally required.

GB

Established Member
I will accept my train being cancelled due to "A shortage of crew" for argument's sake, but not "an operational incident", which they've used to cover up a no driver incident before. It's just unnecessarily obtuse.

If the shortage of train crew is linked to a prior operating incident then that is the reason they will use.

JN114

Established Member
If the OP or anyone else needed to know exactly what happened; they would know, or have access to different information channels to find out.

As far as anyone else is concerned I agree with the other posters - operational incident is sufficient.

What difference does the nature of any operational incident make to a member of the public, other than to satisfy either ghoulish rubber-necking or the speculate and blame game? None, I thought so.

GW43125

Established Member
If it was a "police incident" either on the railway or public streets would you be badgering the police for a reason on whats going on?

Well no because the fact the police are involved indicates it's probably serious and could be a while.

TheEdge

Established Member
Well no because the fact the police are involved indicates it's probably serious and could be a while.

No, its rubber necking and morbid curiosity. Operational incident could be anything from a SPAR all the way up to a crash. Most of the time its a SPAD.

JN114

Established Member
Note how it's all those with access going "tough s**t". Hypocrisy or what?

It's not hypocrisy in the slightest - those members with access to internal railway systems are entrusted with the information it contains - the vast majority of it is most certainly NOT for public consumption.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

No hypocrisy, what so ever.
Staff have access to privileged information that is not for public consumption. End of!!
And your comment gives us an excellent example of why it is so.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Same old spotterish wibbile. You might want to know but you don't need to know at this stage.

It might be the matter is still unclear or under investigation so there is nothing to tell!

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Staff have access to privileged information that is not for public consumption. End of!!

Because 'operational incident' is basically railway speak for 'someone f***ed up'. And the railway doesn't want the public to know what's happened.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Because 'operational incident' is basically railway speak for 'someone f***ed up'. And the railway doesn't want the public to know what's happened.

Utter and complete RUBBISH!!
I suggest you read this thread and apologise for that comment.

SPADTrap

Established Member

Get a job and get access if it means that much to you. I have access but have no idea what happened and zero interest in finding out.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Do you need to know what went on? NO.

If you did know all we'd probably get is [insert grade here] should be sacked.. Blah, blah, blah.

I could find out what it is and I could tell, but I won't. Whatever it is not for public consumption, so please don't ask me to find out or "Kiss & tell".

Established Member
Customer service doesn't come into it. The only info you need is whether the train is delayed and by how long.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I'm just a p**ed off commuter who doesn't like hearing "operational incident" as a reason for my train being cancelled. That is all.

I reckon you need to 'chill out' quite a bit, particularly as you have no idea what the facts are.

Status
Not open for further replies.