• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Other Sports....

Harvester

Established Member
The time of this year’s Grand National at Aintree has been brought forward to 4pm instead of 5:15pm with a maximum of 34 runners.
Reducing the maximum from 40 to 34 is one of the changes being made to try and reduce the high proportion of fallers at the first fence. The fence is being relocated 60 yards closer to the start, and the horses will set off from a standing start rather than a rolling one, and (hopefully) reach the fence at less speed!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The time of this year’s Grand National at Aintree has been brought forward to 4pm instead of 5:15pm with a maximum of 34 runners.
I've no horse in the race (SWIDT?) over the number of runners... but surely the change of time is a bad move? It now clashes with the start of the second half of the 3pm football games.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
What's the problem with that?
The 3 o'clock games are not shown 'live' in the UK.
I'm not talking about TV- the reason 3pm games aren't shown on TV is to avoid reducing attendances at those games. As the Grand National is considered by many to be the highlight of the racing calendar, some will no doubt decide to stay home and watch it rather than going to the game- particularly if the weather is bad.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Unless you live very close to the ground, anyone going to a 3pm game wouldn't get back in time for a 5.15 start either.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Unless you live very close to the ground, anyone going to a 3pm game wouldn't get back in time for a 5.15 start either.
No... but they could get to a pub or a bookies, or even watch on the screens inside the stadium. I know there's no love lost with betting companies here, but it'll be interesting to see how this affects takings on the one day of the year that people who aren't into horse racing on the other 364 (365 this year of course) decide to have a flutter.

dangie

Established Member
I’ve put this under ‘Other Sports’ but I’m not classing it as a sport.

From the BBC:
Ex-world [swimming] champion James Magnussen says he will take banned drugs in an attempt to swim faster than a world record.
The Australian, 32, will come out of retirement to compete in the Enhanced Games, where doping is allowed.
Magnussen will try to swim faster than the 50-metre freestyle record, though it would not be official because there would be no drug-testing regime.
"I'll juice to the gills and I'll break it in six months," said Magnussen, who will be paid $1m (£792,000).

JD2168

Kansas City Chiefs beat San Francisco 49ers 25-22 after Overtime to win Superbowl 58 in Las Vegas.

dangie

Established Member
Figure skaters Torvill and Dean have announced on the 40th anniversary of their gold medal-winning performance that next year will be the last time they dance together.

If ever sporting stars could be considered perfect at what they did, then Torvill & Dean were perfect.

JD2168

One of the biggest sporting events occurs this week as the Cheltenham horse racing festival begins on Tuesday.

Darts player Adam Smith-Neale has been suspended by the Darts Regulation Authority after apparently punching another player whilst at the Oche during an amateur event recently.

Last edited:

dangie

Established Member
One of the biggest sporting events occurs this week as the Cheltenham horse racing festival begins on Tuesday.
Well it is if you like horse racing :)
Having said that, the wife’s brother (now deceased) used to live in Cheltenham. For the race week he would come and stay with us to ‘get away from the mayhem‘.

JD2168

Moto 2 rider Fermin Aldeguer has been announced as moving up to MotoGP in 2025 with Ducati but has not revealed which team he will be at.

Pakenhamtrain

Aussie Rules it's Round 2.
Collingwood are are big talking point losing thier Thursday night game against St Kilda. First time the reigning premiers have started a season 0-3 since 1999.

The game was the 4th "Spud's Game for Mental Health" In honor of the late St Kilda Captain Danny "Spud" Frawley and his legacy for mental health.
Spud sadly took his own life in 2019. At the time he was very open about his mental health battles.

JD2168

Malaysia has become the latest nation to reject hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2026, Australia were the other country. Malaysia said it was due to financial reasons & a shortage of time until 2026.

SteveP29

A shortlist of six contenders has been announced for the 2023 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

I used to enjoy watching this. In the past I’ve even voted. Now I’m not sure it actually means anything. I’m not having a go at the individuals in the shortlist, but mainly for there being a shortlist in the first place. Another year I’ll be giving it a miss.

I topped watching it when THEY decided who they thought should win it (they being the BBC and deciding who i on the shortlist)
Much preferred it when you didn't know who was in the running and you'd get the shortlist at the start of the programme on the night.
I know they've engineered it so they can have all or most of the shortlist in the studio or someone on VT somewhere around the world to save somebody else coming up to accept on another's behalf because 'they can't be here tonight' but it devalues it somewhat when somebody can't vote for who they actually like

Keeping it on the sporting theme.

TV sports quiz show Question of Sport has stopped production after more than five decades, the BBC has confirmed.

Frankly I’m not surprised. This is a perfect example of ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’. Sue Barker & Co must be having a little chuckle.

Also gave up on this when it tried to compete with They Think Its All Over and started laughing and joking around at every opportunity.
It was always satisfying to see sports stars answering questions seriously about their sports and also testing their all round knowledge

Howardh

Established Member
Malaysia has become the latest nation to reject hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2026, Australia were the other country. Malaysia said it was due to financial reasons & a shortage of time until 2026.
With the Olympic Stadium still available for athletics, and much of the Olympic infrastructure in place around it, would seem to me to be sensible to have London as the prime CG location, and it only go elsewhere if a country can genuinely afford it. One concern is the availability of an "athlete's village" where the previous village is now all occupied?

JD2168

Jorge Martin has won the Portuguese MotoGP with Enea Bastianini in second & Pedro Acosta in third. Marc Marquez was involved in a crash with Pecco Bagnaia a couple of laps from the end. Maverick Vinales who won the sprint crashed out after gearbox problems.

Acosta becomes the third youngest rider to get a podium in MotoGP & in his second race.

In Moto2 Aron Canet has won his first race in the class after 15 second places & 5 years in the series.

Pakenhamtrain

In AFL a scandal has broken out with it being alleged in Parliament of all places that in the AFL players were taking illicit drug tests and being told to fake injuries to avoid being detected by Sports Integrity Australia and AFL drug testers.

Meanwhile Brisbane and Collingwood are both winless and play each other Thursday night. Being Easter weekend we have the now traditional Good Friday game between North Melbourne and Carlton and Easter Monday game between Hawthorn and Geelong.

JD2168

Nearly 3 weeks after the World Endurance Championship 1812km race was run at Losail in Qatar the Cadillac HyperCar has been disqualified from it’s 5th place finish due to a technical infringement due to the bodywork on the car not matching the homogulated version.

Also during the same race the AF Corse Ferrari squad in LMGTE have been fined €60,000 for concealing three operational staff members during the weekend. It turned out that three people who were classed as marketing & communication staff were working on technical matters sat behind computers.

dangie

Established Member
Only just seen it is the Oxford vs Cambridge Boat Race today.
I can remember when it was a major event on the sporting calendar. Now it hardly gets a mention (apart from me writing this obviously).

Harvester

Established Member
Only just seen it is the Oxford vs Cambridge Boat Race today.
I can remember when it was a major event on the sporting calendar. Now it hardly gets a mention (apart from me writing this obviously).
Both the men and women’s race were broadcast on the BBC this afternoon, but I too was unaware of the event until today’s newspaper. Just for the record Cambridge won both races.

Liberty Media announce an agreement to purchase 86% of Dorna Sports, Commercial Rights Holder of MotoGP and the World Superbikes, which will bring them into the same ownership group as Formula 1.

Liberty Media Corporation (“Liberty Media”) (Nasdaq: FWONA, FWONK) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Dorna Sports, S.L. (“Dorna”), the exclusive commercial rights holder to the MotoGP™ World Championship, from Bridgepoint and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (“CPP Investments”). MotoGP will be attributed to Liberty Media’s Formula One Group tracking stock.

JD2168

It will be interesting to see what changes Liberty make to MotoGP & WSBK through this purchase of Dorna.

The World Superbike Championship this year is apart from the first round at Phillip Island in Australia a European series.

MotoGP still has the problem of too many races in Spain (4 this year) whilst other countries miss out.

Some countries like the UK with TV deals for both WSBK & MotoGP have low viewing figures & attendances are down particularly in MotoGP after Valentino Rossi retired as he brung in crowds. The low crowds are quite noticeable when watching Superbikes with empty stands.

There is also a poor presence on social media. After Marc Marquez some of the numbers following riders are very low & much lower than F1 drivers so their personalities are much less known.

JD2168

Formula 2/Formula 3 team Prema has announced it will enter the USA based INDYCAR series from 2025 with 2 cars.

World Athletics has announced it will award Prize Money to Athletes in the 2024 Olympic Games. Gold medalists will earn £34,400.

The first Golf Major starts today with the Masters from Augusta National Golf Club in USA. It appears that bad weather may affect the opening round. Rickie Fowler won the Par 3 contest with tradition meaning he won’t win the Green Jacket this week.

The Grand National meeting starts today with the main race on Saturday.

MasterSpenny

The former American footballer OJ Simpson, the one who was cleared of double murder has died at age of 76. May he rest in peace.
OJ Simpson, the former American footballer who was controversially cleared of double murder, has died aged 76.

Orenthal James Simpson rose to fame as a college footballer before playing in the NFL.

In 1995, he was acquitted of the murder of his former wife Nicole Brown and a friend in a trial that gripped America.

In 2008, he was sentenced to 33 years' imprisonment on charges of armed robbery. He was released in 2017.

Simpson died of cancer on Wednesday "surrounded by his children and grandchildren", a family statement read.

FOLLOW LIVE: Reaction to death of OJ Simpson

In 1994, Simpson was arrested as a suspect in the murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown and her friend Ron Goldman.

The pair were found stabbed to death outside Brown's home in Los Angeles, and Simpson was an immediate person of interest in the case.

On the day he was due to turn himself in, Simpson fled in his white Ford Bronco with a former teammate, and led the police on a slow-speed chase through the Los Angeles area.

That chase engrossed audiences in both the United States and abroad as it was broadcast live on "rolling" 24-hour news channels that were still in their relative infancy.

In the ensuing court case, dubbed the "trial of the century" by US media, prosecutors argued Simpson had killed Brown in a jealous fury. Evidence included blood, hair and fibre tests linking Simpson to the murders.

The defence argued Simpson was framed by police who were motivated by racism.

In one of the trial's most memorable moments, prosecutors asked Simpson to wear a pair of blood-stained gloves allegedly found at the scene of the murder, but Simpson struggled to put them on. It led to one of Simpson's lawyers, Johnnie Cochrane, telling the jury in his closing arguments: "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit."
The jury ultimately sided with Simpson, who declared he was "absolutely 100% not guilty". The acquittal proved hugely controversial.

The families of Ms Smith and Mr Goldman did not give up - they pursued a civil case against Simpson in 1997 where a jury found Simpson liable for the two deaths. He was ordered to pay $33.5m (£25.8m) in damages to their families.

In 2006, Simpson sold a book manuscript, titled "If I Did It", and a prospective TV interview, giving a "hypothetical" account of the murders he had always strenuously denied.

Public objections ended both projects, but Mr Goldman's family secured the book rights, added material imputing guilt to Simpson and had it published.

Simpson's final disgrace came in 2008, when he was convicted of armed robbery for breaking into a Las Vegas hotel room with four accomplices, holding two sports memorabilia dealers at gunpoint and stealing items related to his NFL career.

He was sentenced to 33 years in jail, but was granted parole after serving the minimum of nine years.

Before his legal problems, Simpson was well-liked, known as an athlete, actor and the face of several major companies.

He was a college football star at University of Southern California before being signed to the Buffalo Bills in 1969, where he played until 1977.

He became one of the greatest ball carriers in NFL history. In 1973, he was the first NFL player to "rush" - running to advance the ball for his team - more than 2,000 yards in a season.

He retired in 1979 to concentrate on a career in film and television. **** His credits include roles in the Towering Inferno, Capricorn One and the Naked Gun series.

Fred Goldman, Ronald's father, described Simpson's death on Thursday as "no great loss".

"The only thing I have to say is it's just further reminder of Ron being gone all these years," he told the NBC News network. "It's no great loss to the world. It's a further reminder of Ron's being gone."

Last edited:

dangie

Established Member
From the BBC:

Glasgow is among the potential hosts of the 2026 Commonwealth Games - but the city is the last resort to hold the troubled edition.‘

Ok, I know what they meant by ‘last resort’, but it made me smile.

Last edited:

Pakenhamtrain

From the BBC:

Glasgow is among the potential hosts of the 2026 Commonwealth Games - but the city is the last resort to hold the troubled edition.‘

Ok, I know what they meant by ‘last resort’, but it made me smile.
Our former premier might be the killer of the Comm games. That's funny.

JD2168

I am Maximus was the winner of the Grand National with Paul Townend riding & Willie Mullins the Trainer.

Scottie Scheffler has won the Masters at Augusta from Ludwig Aberg.

Maverick Vinales has won the Americas MotoGP with Pedro Acosta in second & Enea Bastianini in third. Vinales is the first rider in the MotoGP era to win with 3 different manufacturers, these are Suzuki, Yamaha & Aprilia.

A comical moment occurred in the Moto3 race when after crashing Ivan Ortola went & got on Stefano Nepa’s bike instead of his own & Nepa had to get him off to get on his bike. Ortola & Nepa we’re team mates last year but Ortola now rides for a different team.

The top 3 finishers in the Beijing Marathon have been disqualified after the infamous finish where 3 runners slowed to allow the Chinese runner to win the race.

The Snooker World Championship has started today at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield. Ronnie O’Sullivan is the favourite to win the title.

Last edited: