• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Over 215,000 Two Together Railcards sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Rail Delivery Group (ATOC) said:
Figures released today reveal passengers have already saved more than £20 million on their rail travel over the last year following the launch of the Two Together Railcard.

Launched on Monday 3 March 2014, Two Together was the first national Railcard to arrive in Britain for over 30 years and gives two named people a third off rail fares when they travel together.

In just a year, over 215,000 Two Together Railcards have been sold and more than 3 million journeys made. The first cardholders have saved on average £127.48 over the course of the year, including the £30 cost of the Railcard.

[full article]

It's pleasing to see the Two Together Railcard proving so popular. The greatest number of Railcards were purchased at Kings Cross and London Euston which, being the termini of long distance lines, suggests that substantial savings are being made by Railcard users.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sor

I wonder how many get used for more than one journey?

Given the costs of some trips, it's worth it to get a railcard even if it is treated as a disposable item

I've noticed a few older people have started to get them rather than senior railcards now i think its a great idea for all concerned

daniel3982

We use them whenever we go on holiday, saves the cost each time and pays for itself probably 6x over a year.

David Goddard

Established Member
We bought ours last June and immediately saved £500 as we bought two First Class 7 Day All Line Rovers!

gary47

Are there any single person railcards about I am over 25 not a student don't have kids for family card don't live in network railcars area live in Stafford and don't have anyone to share 2 together card with I travel to Liverpool regular it just seems most unfair I have searched ages trying to find a card suitable.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Are there any single person railcards about I am over 25 not a student don't have kids for family card don't live in network railcars area live in Stafford and don't have anyone to share 2 together card with I travel to Liverpool regular it just seems most unfair I have searched ages trying to find a card suitable.

No, unfortunately not. Single travellers of working age and over 25 are discriminated against, particularly outside of the South East.

najaB

Veteran Member
I wonder how many get used for more than one journey?

Given the costs of some trips, it's worth it to get a railcard even if it is treated as a disposable item
I got one on expenses when myself and a colleague were making a long-distance trip. Even if we don't use it again, it saved the company £50.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member

Not that I'm aware of. All I can suggest is that you keep a sharp look out for any special offers from the TOC's. I dare say you're aware of the recent promotion that London Midland ran in February; £15 to travel anywhere and £20 to London on a Saturday.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No, unfortunately not. Single travellers of working age and over 25 are discriminated against, particularly outside of the South East.

I concur. My children are in for quite a shock when they finish Uni :(

Rapidash

Hah, join the club!

I am at least lucky enough to live in an area with its own discount card (rare is the day when I don't see lots of other D&C cards.....) I suppose I am also a bit lucky that the Network zone extends to Exeter, so there is some hope for a cheap trip to London! But thats about it, sadly.

RJ

Established Member

I give about 5 hours of a week of my time to the railways and get a Privilege Travel Card in return - so it is possible to get a discount card if you work for it!

Gathursty

Established Member
I give about 5 hours of a week of my time to the railways and get a Privilege Travel Card in return - so it is possible to get a discount card if you work for it!

Does give mean work for a TOC or volunteer?

gary47

Shame they can't extend the network railcard to cover the whole network rail area including wcml that would have suited me am in Stafford. I don't use London midland if I can help it too unreliable.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I wouldn't say its discriminatory, its more a discount scheme aimed at bringing more money to the railway than it would potentially otherwise have. If a discount card was available for anybody for £30 then everybody would have one and you may as well get rid of all discounts and drop fares by 30%.

I think the current level of railcards is fine, the only thing I'd perhaps change is having the Family & Friends railcard have photographed named holders on it, two together style, and the two together one ought to have the T&Cs altered so that only one of the photographed holders needs to be travelling so that they can travel with any other friend if need be.

Alternatively I suppose to remove the discrimination against the majority of the adult population, the 16-25 railcard could become a student in full time education only railcard to remove the discrimination that you feel?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say its discriminatory, its more a discount scheme aimed at bringing more money to the railway than it would potentially otherwise have. If a discount card was available for anybody for £30 then everybody would have one and you may as well get rid of all discounts and drop fares by 30%.

I think the current level of railcards is fine, the only thing I'd perhaps change is having the Family & Friends railcard have photographed named holders on it, two together style, and the two together one ought to have the T&Cs altered so that only one of the photographed holders needs to be travelling so that they can travel with any other friend if need be.

Alternatively I suppose to remove the discrimination against the majority of the adult population, the 16-25 railcard could become a student in full time education only railcard to remove the discrimination that you feel?

Your point that "everybody" would have a £30 railcard if it were available, is nonsense as not everyone would be prepared to make the initial capital investment in the railcard. Not everyone in the South East of England holds a Network Railcard, so why would you assume that everybody outside of the South East would suddenly hold a railcard ?

The point about a national railcard is that once people have made that investment in the railcard, they are more likely to spend their money on off-peak travel. You seem to assume that this motivation disappears once someone reaches age 25 ? This is clearly nonsense.

Are the shacked-up disadvantaged enough to justify a railcard ? Going by some of my friends who have "significant others", they seem to suggest so, going by their various issues. Personally, I don't see why making the beast with two backs on a regular basis should make someone eligible for a discount over everyone else.

Last edited:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Your point that "everybody" would have a £30 railcard if it were available, is nonsense as not everyone would be prepared to make the initial capital investment in the railcard. Not everyone in the South East of England holds a Network Railcard, so why would you assume that everybody outside of the South East would suddenly hold a railcard?
Because the conditions attached to the card probably make it worthless to them.

The point about a national railcard is that once people have made that investment in the railcard, they are more likely to spend their money on off-peak travel.
But will it actually encourage more people to travel or not? If the two together railcard survives the next few years it will be because that answer is yes. If it doesn't then it'll probably stick around in its current form to avoid the bad press that it would get with journalists sticking in loads of stories featuring soundbites consisting of multiple people gibbering "simply disgusting!" over and over and over again.

You seem to assume that this motivation disappears once someone reaches age 25 ? This is clearly nonsense.
For some it does, again I see no reason why anybody out of education below the age 25 should get one as it does seem a little unfair to me for those over the age of 25.

Are the shacked-up disadvantaged enough to justify a railcard ? Going by some of my friends who have "significant others", they seem to suggest so, going by their various issues. Personally, I don't see why making the beast with two backs on a regular basis should make someone eligible for a discount over everyone else.
You don't generally have to consummate a relationship to gain one, you could just travel regularly with a friend for example such as to a football match with a friend!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Because the conditions attached to the card probably make it worthless to them.

So you're saying that because the Network Railcard will not suit some people in the South East, that's a justification for not having it anywhere else ? That's claptrap.

But will it actually encourage more people to traveltwork or not? If the two together railcard survives the next few years it will be because that answer is yes. If it doesn't then it'll probably stick around in its current form to avoid the bad press that it would get with journalists sticking in loads of stories featuring soundbites consisting of multiple people gibbering "simply disgusting!" over and over and over again.

What's "work" got to do with the price of fish ? the whole point of the railcard is to encourage travel outside of the peak. There's no reason why single people are less likely to be encouraged to travel than couples by a railcard, so I'd like to see the justification for only offering a "two together" railcard

For some it does, again I see no reason why anybody out of education below the age 25 should get one as it does seem a little unfair to me for those over the age of 25.

But why not. Surely the point of the railcard is to encourage off-peak travel, for which the motivations are the same, whether you are a student or not a student but under 25, or over 25.

monxton

A full-time student age 26 or over is entitled to a 16-25 railcard, despite its name.

Oxfordblues

I must be one of the luckiest railway people around. When I took early retirement, in addition to a very generous and tax-free "golden goodbye" I retained my 20-box Staff Travel Card plus a priceless Western Region Status Pass which I make good use of. I did my share of 12-hour nights in marshalling yards and smoky control rooms, so I think I earned it!

sor

Devon and Cornwall actually does have its own railcard - which is only £10 a year and requires only proof of residency in Devon and Cornwall, but otherwise anyone can have one.

Despite this, not everyone in Devon or Cornwall has this railcard and will pay full fare, the world hasn't collapsed, but it (and the other cheap tickets/rovers) have surely contributed to the explosive growth in local rail usage over the past few years. That can't be a bad thing.

And as others have said, it wouldn't put much of a dent in a major cash cow, peak time travelling and/or those with season tickets where the railcard often doesn't make a difference anyway

I think other countries have national railcards that are fairly cheap and provide heavily discounted/no cost travel across their entire networks?

Last edited:

Metrailway

What's "work" got to do with the price of fish ? the whole point of the railcard is to encourage travel outside of the peak. There's no reason why single people are less likely to be encouraged to travel than couples by a railcard, so I'd like to see the justification for only offering a "two together" railcard

There is a very good reason why two travellers together need a railcard when compared to sole travellers. Modal competition with the car. In many instances, if one person travelled from point A to B, the rail ticket is cheaper than the running costs of a car.

If two people travel together from point A to B, the cost per passenger stays the same for rail but the overall cost for rail travel doubles. However for two people, the cost per person by car (in effect) halves with the overall cost of car travel staying the same. Thus, the car becomes far more price competitive. Away from the InterCity mainlines, the car is usually quicker than the train as well.

This is particularly important for off-peak travel, where many potential passengers travel in twos.

A railcard (or some other type of discount like groupsave) needs to be offered to keep rail competitive.

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Devon and Cornwall actually does have its own railcard - which is only £10 a year and requires only proof of residency in Devon and Cornwall, but otherwise anyone can have one.

Despite this, not everyone in Devon or Cornwall has this railcard and will pay full fare, the world hasn't collapsed, but it (and the other cheap tickets/rovers) have surely contributed to the explosive growth in local rail usage over the past few years. That can't be a bad thing.

And as others have said, it wouldn't put much of a dent in a major cash cow, peak time travelling and/or those with season tickets where the railcard often doesn't make a difference anyway

I think other countries have national railcards that are fairly cheap and provide heavily discounted/no cost travel across their entire networks?

The Devon and Cornwall Railcard is fantastic value. As you say £10 and you can take a friend with you.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There is a very good reason why two travellers together need a railcard when compared to sole travellers. Modal competition with the car. In many instances, if one person travelled from point A to B, the rail ticket is cheaper than the running costs of a car.

If two people travel together from point A to B, the cost per passenger stays the same for rail but the overall cost for rail travel doubles. However for two people, the cost per person by car (in effect) halves with the overall cost of car travel staying the same. Thus, the car becomes far more price competitive. Away from the InterCity mainlines, the car is usually quicker than the train as well.

This is particularly important for off-peak travel, where many potential passengers travel in twos.

A railcard (or some other type of discount like groupsave) needs to be offered to keep rail competitive.

I disagree with that.

For work, people are restricted to a choice of modes as you say.

However, railcards are about encouraging discretionary leisure travel, and in the case of discretionary leisure travel, the railways are not only competing against other modes of transport, but they are also competing against the myriad of other leisure activities that people can do without travelling. This is why a railcard is needed for more than just couples.

Status
Not open for further replies.