• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overdistance Excess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi All,
Just wondering if I am correct in this scenario...
I travelled from Bath Spa to Burnham-on-Sea on an Off Peak Day Return with my Y-P card, paying £7.45. During the day, I made my own way to Highbridge and Burnham station, to then return to Bath.
I was sold a ticket from Highbridge to Weston-super-mare for £2.45.

My question is, should I instead have been charged half the difference between a ticket from Bath to Weston and Bath to Highbridge?
If so, what's the best way of insisting a conductor does this?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pinguini

Am I right in thinking this scenario means you needed to change the origin station on the RTN portion of your ticket? Because the 'from' station cannot be changed, only the 'to' station. I was in the same situation yesterday where if this was allowed, i could have purchased an excess for 5p but instead had to pay 3.15 for a new ticket

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
An over-distance excess is the full difference, even in one direction only, so the excess will be £10.25 - £7.45, ie. £2.80. So you were sold the correct ticket as an additional single is cheaper.

Thanks guys! Annoying situation, you'd have thought a half difference would apply...oh yeah that'd be logical...

Is it the 'Change of Route excess' I am thinking of for which half the difference is charged for one leg?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Just a minor point on over-distance (over-riding) excess fares. They are only supposed to be issued before boarding a train, or on the train where there was no facility to buy before boarding. Also, it is only supposed to be the destination that is changed, not the origin.

As noted, the excess is the full difference of fare or a single/return fare to cover the part of the journey you don't hold a ticket for (in line with Condition 19 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage) if cheaper.

Where facilities exist before boarding, an excess on the train should simply be a single/return ticket to cover the part of the journey you don't hold a ticket for (in line with Condition 19 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage).

Change of route is half the difference yes. Over-distance used to be half fare but people got wise to reducing long distance fares by around 50% using that rule.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking this scenario means you needed to change the origin station on the RTN portion of your ticket? Because the 'from' station cannot be changed, only the 'to' station. I was in the same situation yesterday where if this was allowed, i could have purchased an excess for 5p but instead had to pay 3.15 for a new ticket

The "from" station absolutely can be changed.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . over-distance (over-riding) excess fares.

. . . . . it is only supposed to be the destination that is changed, not the origin.
That is how I read both the public and industry statements on the Excess Fare procedures. So it would be interesting to learn where this confident assurance can be found:-
The "from" station absolutely can be changed.
It may be that an Excess Fare ticket can be issued which effectively does change the 'origin' station, but what justification is there for a presumption that a passenger requesting a change of 'origin' station has any entitlement to an additional ticket by way of an Excess?

island

Veteran Member
I have had such a ticket sold to me by South West Trains in the past, which is sufficient evidence for me to confidently assure you that it can be done.

I cannot, of course, say that the clerk did not act contrary to instructions or policy in issuing the ticket, but I am not in the habit of going around under the presumption that people don't know how to do their jobs properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.